Domain Empire

Would you post your dev. mini-site(s) please?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Like many other Npers, I am looking towards developing some of my better domains, rather than leaving them in declining PPC. I would really appreciate seeing some examples of 3-5 page mini-sites with Adsense, Adbrite etc that Npers have developed for their domains.

I'm not asking for postings of Whypark, Imodo etc mini-sites, as these types of sites are covered elsewhere in other threads. I'm hoping to see some (inspirational..) examples of mini-sites developed from scratch or using available templates. If you'd like to showcase or share, I hope you post some links to your sites. Thanks in advance.

Mod Edit: No more than five live links per post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
coreyg said:
I picked up this LLLLL.com and had to dev it immediately

still a work in progress... a Lou Reed site

http://www.lreed.com/

Cheers
Corey
Corey,
Very cool. Good luck with it.

•••
harkster said:
I have found submitting to live.com works fast.
http://webmaster.live.com/

Thanks for the link, I didn't know microsoft had a webmaster tool.

I had been using google's webmaster tools for some time and completely ignoring yahoo and Microsoft. I figured if I did well with the big one it would trickle down. A few days ago I signed up for yahoo's tools because I read that they show more backlinks and faster than google does. I wanted to see which of my mini-site link building efforts were working. Its not entirely true btw, one site shows way less backlinks than google, the other shows way more?

Anyhow I just tried the live webmaster tool and its very interesting what I find. My graphpaper site is a PR1 on google and doesn't even appear in the top 250 for "graph paper" :( Its a perfect 5 out of 5 on Live and ranks #2 just under wikipedia. I'm even beating out incompetech's site and they've got thousands of backlinks and a more full featured webtool? I've also apparently got a backlink from encarta.msn.com I didn't know about. (an encylopedia has got to have some wiked good link juju...)

Its strange, but it does feel good...

•••
The lou reed site is looking good.

•••
•••
•••
a new one for the italian football fans

calciolive.info

it givesfootball scores in real time...

•••
briguy said:
I finally have the courage to post my first Css/html "site"

(a) really confused about the
PHP:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
not sure if the correct DOCTYPE?

(b) And sure would appreciate..if anyone can tell me (if it is possible) how to use "fonts" as a header other than as a image.! Just so..If I cant find a great image to use as a header..I can use words!

(c) does that RSS have a SEO value!

Thanks for your time!
P.s some impressive mini-sites posted here!
Hope this makes sense. I often do exactly that instead of building a logo. IMHO SEO can't be hurt. Be careful of uncommon fonts as some browsers may not render properly. There can be some IE issues which require tweaking.
<div style="font-size: 24px; text-align: left; margin-left: 50px; font-weight: bold; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">My Very Cool Site Name</div>
OR

<h1 style="font-size: 24px; text-align: left; margin-left: 50px; font-weight: bold; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">My Very Cool Site Name</h1>

The styles could be in a css file like (much preferred method)

#site-header {
font-size: 24px;
text-align: left;
margin-left: 50px;
font-weight: bold;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}

Then the html would look like
<div id="site-header">My Very Cool Site Name</div>
OR

<h1 id="site-header">My Very Cool Site Name</h1>

As far as DOCTYPE -- get a big cup of java and check out http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DOCTYPE&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

BTW, I am in no way a CSS expert - just plug along with the help of Dreamweaver.

•••
(a) really confused about the
PHP Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Doctypes tell the user's browser how to interpret the page code. There's no real "right" or "wrong" (there are some "preferred" types for certain situations, but I'm not going to go into that here) as long as the page code is valid for that document type. If elements of the code are not valid, you can expect the page to have at least some display issues in one or more browsers.

You can validate your page at validator.w3.org .

XHTML 1.0 Transitional tells the browser to treat the document (web page) as an XML compliant version of HTML 4.0 Transitional. Both of these transitional doctypes allow you to use some elements which strict doctypes do not, for example, deprecated elements (elements which will eventually disappear from the language, like font tags) are permitted.

XML has stricter "rules" for proper coding than HTML , for example all elements and attributes need to be lower case and all tags need to be properly closed and in the proper nesting order.

Fonts:

You can declare a font order like harkster described. If you want to use a less-common font, expect that some people won't have it on their machines so give them a list of alternatives.

Code:
font-family:my-fancy-font, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

says to first look for "my-fancy-font". If it isn't found, try Arial. If that's not found, look for Helvetica. If none-of-the above, then use the default sans-serif font

There are ways to "embed" a custom font in a page, but they're a pain to do and the results aren't at all reliable.

Last edited:
•••
Bigvenue said:
newbornbabyproducts.com for baby products
Where do I start
1/ Joomla! 1.0.x <not a good choice
Joomla 1.5.x should be only version used.
2/ Mis-spelled Text in header.
3/ WAY TOO MANY ADs <<As NetMeg has already explained, Less ads More Income
(Just because google allows it, doesn't mean you HAVE to use that many)
4/ No Privacy Policy for Google adsense Compliance
5/ Revelant Content and ADS is the key to effective earnings, not maxing out the number of ads.
6/ Example of WHAT can be achieved with joomla! if you take that little extra effort. NT-Tourism.com

henniemeijer said:
Another NP member I ordered sites with at the same time(3 months ago) also still has not delivered. Still in touch with him and have not written him off completely, but will issue a warning here if he promotes his services again.
Sorry For the delay Hennie. I have sent you a PM, but rest assured ALL SITES will be delivered soon.

Last edited:
•••
I used the Revolution Wordpress theme, bought the unlimited license sometime back, unforunately they no longer sell it, they have new open source themes now which are nice but I still like the original.

•••
DotUSDomains said:
www.move.us

needs anew logo and articles posted, and a few othe rimages added but other than it's ready to go.

I like that domain name, one of the best .us DNs I have seen.

You have mis-spelt the word "whether".

Best wishes

•••
•••
A suggestion about content on mini-sites...

I've been experimenting with ad placement on my sites and wanted to point out an observation I've made. With a mini-site, or most sites in general, you are looking for conversions. Whether that is a contact form for leads, a member sign-up to a newsletter, or someone clicking on a relevant ad on your site, conversions is what most are looking for on their sites.

Make sure you take advantage of "key" placement locations on your site. One often over looked is the "call to action" placement location which is at the end of well written content. I have a 300% greater CTR on this location over my 2nd best location on my sites. Make sure you don't waste this space!

For example: You write a great article about widgets that draws the reader in and gets them to read the entire article you've written. Directly after the last paragraph always put an ad of some sort. You "need" to tell the reader what to do next. This can be done by actually telling them to check out this product or by saying nothing at all. It all depends on your style and the conversion type you are looking for.

If you take the time to write content in hopes of providing useful information then make sure your prime ad space is being utilized. "Useful Information" is the key phrase above. If they don't read the entire article they will never get to the ad or conversion. However, if you write good content there is nothing better then a reader who has read your entire article all but waiting for directions as to what they should do next. Make sure the map is highlighted...

Markus

Last edited:
•••
coreyg said:
http://www.bbqathome.com/ Do you want to Barbeque? - News & Information about BBQ's

Still a Work in Progress

What do you think?

Cheers
Corey

extremely clever way to put ads and very catchy pages, compliments

•••
coreyg said:
http://www.bbqathome.com/ Do you want to Barbeque? - News & Information about BBQ's

Still a Work in Progress

What do you think?

Cheers
Corey

Nice design. Very unique style. And much better than my BBQ site :'(

•••
•••
NP02139 said:
So far, my biggest hurdle is getting unique content. Anyone know of a way to get cheap, unique content? Hire an intern ;)??

See for me the content is easy but the design is difficult. I know what I want in my head but can't seem to make it work in reality due to my limited skills. Trying to learn a little bit about programming but its slow going. I like what Joomla can do but it seems to make those sites look good you need to have some advanced programming knowledge. Otherwise the sites look like weak parking pages.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider cheap content?

Jed K said:
Thanks Markus, but though what you posted is good information, it never really answered my question about how to get the backlinks. You talked about appeasing to search engines, but aside from that?

Also, I don't agree with not posting ads for the first 2-4 months. Reason being is that many layouts are designed with specific spots for advertisements, and if those spots are empty, the layout looks incomplete. Plus, if a site does get lucky and happen to get a decent amount of traffic early on, why miss out on the income? I had one site which had good traffic from the get-go and I was making $2-5 per day; however, that soon died down when my source of traffic disappeared.

Well Jed, I guess I can't always be perfect :)

Let me see if I can be more helpful to you as I always aim to please...

Nothing that I wrote is set in stone and there are certainly circumstances that would cause for a break in the "rules" so to speak. If you need ads then put them in to make the site look good. I like to build a base of viewers without them and then slowly introduce them over time. I can only state what works for me and it may not be for everyone. I am not in this for a quick fix or quick buck so for me taking an extra few months to get faithful traffic is ok.

Some tips for backlinks are nothing new but I'll list some of the "free" ways I build them:

- Go Old Skool... Link exchange with similar sites and blogs. Shoot a quick, polite email to a site owner and explain to them your are new to the game and looking for some help. Ask them for a link exchange. Worst case, they say no.... move on to the next.

- Produce great content, PERIOD! If you produce great content, that means writing quality content, people will WANT to link to you.

- Post on relevant forums.

- Write unique content to submit to article directories. Make sure not to use something on your site but make it good. Make it better then what you usually write!

It takes hard work and diligence to be succesful in this game. You need to constantly be working to improve what you have. You can't just put a page together and think your site will make you money.

Remember: if it were easy, everyone would be doing it! If everyone were doing it, it wouldn't make you any money!

Good luck and prosper,
Markus

Last edited:
•••
pommyg - that envr.org looks very good. Wonder why the goog ads here ( eastern usa) show "detox" topics.

The auto rates aeiou site is nice, & each page loads very fast.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Feels great to be back to using Noomle again. The best mini-site platform available, without a doubt.

Dresses Clothing

Opinions now!

Also, my personal blog. Trying to show you domainers that Blogger and Google Sites is a development option one can use for your domains. The fastest free hosting around!

Last edited:
•••
Inspired by NOMBRE and his stovetop -expresso.com
I registered and developed as a minisite
Expresso Coffee
my online currency site will be up tommorow ! (kidding of course)........ :hehe::bingo:

xman
i don't know a lot of vegetarians but i don't associate the color black with them to much
i really like your photo but i would maybe lighten up the color scheme

Last edited:
•••
xman,

Looking really nice. Colors are bold and catch the eye and the content looks great as well. I unfortunately didn't see it prior to the redesign so it is hard to comment on improvements. That said, looks like you have a top notch site. My only suggestion would maybe be toning down the green bars on the left and right of the screen. On my monitor they can be slightly distracting. Just a suggestion.

Nice work!

I just completely changed vegetarianhut.com
It had a black background and now is somewhat green. I matched the font color of ads so it would look better.

•••
I just completely changed vegetarianhut.com
It had a black background and now is somewhat green. I matched the font color of ads so it would look better.
Very clean with shades of green and a splash of orange for the titles. A perfect combination for a vegetarian site. Well done. It will be really hard to beat that. Thats a nice looking WP theme you have there. Did you make it yourself?
:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back