NameSilo

Would you post your dev. mini-site(s) please?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Like many other Npers, I am looking towards developing some of my better domains, rather than leaving them in declining PPC. I would really appreciate seeing some examples of 3-5 page mini-sites with Adsense, Adbrite etc that Npers have developed for their domains.

I'm not asking for postings of Whypark, Imodo etc mini-sites, as these types of sites are covered elsewhere in other threads. I'm hoping to see some (inspirational..) examples of mini-sites developed from scratch or using available templates. If you'd like to showcase or share, I hope you post some links to your sites. Thanks in advance.

Mod Edit: No more than five live links per post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had a mini site but it has evolved into a full grown website - www.starwpthemes.com. It features high quality free wordpress themes. :D. It's taking up a lot of my time at the moment but i'm really pleased with how its doing.

•••
•••
•••
mindless said:

Very simple, clean site. I like that personally. Provide unique quality content and they will come...

One suggestion, and it is one someone suggested to me, is to add some pictures to your site. Or perhaps a video on on how biometric flash drives work. You may be able to find one on youtube to link to. Don't go crazy with photos and vids, but aperhaps every other post would suffice. Its a good way to keep eyeballs on your site for extended periods of time. Gives you a greater chance of a conversion.

Good work,

Markus

•••
mindless said:
1/ Two (2) under-utilised columns ,it would look and function better with a 2 column Template.
2/ Picture(s) of Biometric flash Drive would enhance site immensely.
3/ Yet Another Site without the NOW Mandatory Google Compliant Privacy Policy.
Google Adsense Guidelines said:
AdSense publishers must have and abide by a privacy policy that discloses that third parties may be placing and reading cookies on your users' browser, or using web beacons to collect information as a result of ad serving on your website. Learn more about preparing your privacy policy.
Checkout this post for further Information.
http://www.namepros.com/google-adsense/439338-changes-adsense-tos-privacy-policy-generator.html
Takes 2 minutes to add (static page is good) and will make google happier than any supposed problems with paid posts or duplicated content issues.
Provide unique quality content and they will come
Forget a Privacy Policy and there will not be any adsense ads when they do come.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Barefoottech said:
3/ Yet Another Site without the NOW Mandatory Google Compliant Privacy Policy.

Checkout this post for further Information.
http://www.namepros.com/google-adsense/439338-changes-adsense-tos-privacy-policy-generator.html
Takes 2 minutes to add (static page is good) and will make google happier than any supposed problems with paid posts or duplicated content issues.

Glad you pointed that out. I was missing one as well. Just added them to my sites. Quick and easy!

coreyg said:
Australian-Produce.com - Product of Australia

http://www.australian-produce.com

Cheers
Corey

Another Joomla site I like. I need to take a few hours and start learning how to work with Joomla. The more I look into the more I like what I see. Just hoping my lack of programming knowledge doesn't hinder my results too bad.

•••
thank you Markus for the feedback

check out SunitesLounge // Blogging Information & Resources
http://suniteslounge.com/ for info on Joomla.

Cheers
Corey

Last edited:
•••
Just finished (unless I get some recommendations) http://t-top.org
sure would appreciate some feedback.

•••
•••
ssdbenchmarks.com

I am very new to development and just wanted to get some feedback on www.ssdbenchmarks.com . I am #2 on Yahoo, was #6 on Google (now 20). How can I make it better? What do you all like?

•••
pacopaitz said:
I am very new to development and just wanted to get some feedback on www.ssdbenchmarks.com . I am #2 on Yahoo, was #6 on Google (now 20). How can I make it better? What do you all like?

good use of colours & navigation

the Google ad at the top could be resized..it's sticking out of the template

I was unable to locate your Privacy Policy

Maybe a live feed or news feeds...or web links to give users a reason to return.

Cheers
Corey

•••
•••
coreyg said:
Navigation could be improved

Unable to locate your Privacy Policy

Copyright � 2008 - T-Top.org http://t-top/org - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Disclaimer - http://myway2fortune.info/disclaimer.html" - Page Not Found
Thanks coreyg...I guess I should rename the disclaimer to privacy policy..If I remembered correctly, I used the link that Barefoottech suggested!

Will work on the navigation later todays!

Update..Just fixed what I believe to be the problems with navigations..

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
NP02139 said:
http://twitter-background.com is my latest.

Jeffrey - where did you get the script for the URL shortening site?

Great site! You did a good job with the navigation layout and I like the color scheme.

Something about the ad layouts isn't working for me visually. I think it may be the color used for the title text and border in adsense. I think they need to match the color scheme of the site more. Perhaps match the html color with the "link color" on the site?

Also try and get enough content to fill up the page at least down to the bottom of the last ad on the right column.

The twitter background example you have on the home page is great and really works with site. I wouldn't move that one. Perhaps add some more below as a "preview".

One last thing... the site took a long time to load from some reason. Perhaps others can try to make sure it wasn't just my connection.

Nice work,
Markus

•••
Obviously I haven't read all 33 pages of this thread, however, I have a few comments and questions to add:

1) So many of the Joomla sites you have all posted look absolutely hideous from an aesthetic point of view. Wouldn't something like WordPress be a better option?

2) Making mini-sites is easy enough, but I would like to see some specific examples and methods for bringing in traffic. Everyone says to build backlinks, etc./etc., but that's easier said than done. Who will want to link to your MFA site? Even if it has valuable information, any worthwhile site will likely be deterred by the excessive advertisements/etc. People likely won't link to your site by choice, either, when sharing information on your niche/topic with others; instead, they will link to Wikipedia, etc.

So again, I am after some specific examples on how to go about getting traffic. To those of you who have been successful, do share.

Thanks. :tu:

•••
Jed K said:
Obviously I haven't read all 33 pages of this thread, however, I have a few comments and questions to add:

1) So many of the Joomla sites you have all posted look absolutely hideous from an aesthetic point of view. Wouldn't something like WordPress be a better option?

2) Making mini-sites is easy enough, but I would like to see some specific examples and methods for bringing in traffic. Everyone says to build backlinks, etc./etc., but that's easier said than done. Who will want to link to your MFA site? Even if it has valuable information, any worthwhile site will likely be deterred by the excessive advertisements/etc. People likely won't link to your site by choice, either, when sharing information on your niche/topic with others; instead, they will link to Wikipedia, etc.

So again, I am after some specific examples on how to go about getting traffic. To those of you who have been successful, do share.

Thanks. :tu:

Hi Jed,

Since we are talking about "mini-sites" here, out of curiosity what do you consider to be a decent amount of traffic and what type of earnings would you expect off of it? That will help in answering your questions above. Different strategies for different expectations.

Thanks,
Markus

•••
I'd say however much traffic necessary for one mini-site to consistently produce $1-2 per day with AdSense.

•••
Jed K said:
I'd say however much traffic necessary for one mini-site to consistently produce $1-2 per day with AdSense.

Ok, thats very helpful...Thank you! There is a thread called "Do you earn $100 per month for Adsense" in another section of the forum where I posted the following:

Keeping on the topic of AdSense and not other affiliate programs there are certain steps you can take to break the $100 mark each month. I'll try and list them below, some of which were already mentioned and others I have come up with via trial and error:

1: Choose a site topic you are interested in and one that is a niche, not a micro niche with little interest, but one in which you know people are out there looking for info daily. You want competition, but not a lot of it. You also want there to be products and services that companies offer for your niche. Competition = Higher Bids = More $$ Per Click!

Niche sites also tend to have higher CTR's because the visitor is looking for more specific information. Relevant ads will catch their eye more than a broad ad provided on a more general site.

2: Prepare "starter" content and "future" content prior to launch. This means write unique content that you will use to launch the site, or mini-site. Once your site gets indexed your "future" content that you wrote can be posted weekly appeasing those search engines with fresh content. If you get your content prepared ahead of time you'll find the process goes much easier. Just put your nose to the grindstone and bang out some articles all at once.

3: Don't put ads on your site from day 1. I like to wait 2-4 months depending on the topic before I put any ads on my site. The few pennies I could make in those months isn't worth the user experience you provide without ads when building loyal visitors. Get indexed, get your natural traffic, and work on back-links during this time.

4: Always set "reasonable" goals for yourself. This means don't think that in your first month you should shoot for $1200. Pick a reasonable number, I think a good focus is $1 per day for the first 30-60 days. If it comes in higher then that's just an added bonus. During this time experiment with ad placements and make sure to keep a journal of the "best results placements."

5: Now that you have data, good articles, and visitors on a niche website focus on keeping eyeballs on your site. A visitor does nothing for you if they are only on the site 5 seconds. Focus on writing relevant articles once per week if you can. Make sure to incorporate your articles with your older content. Always make suggestions and direct your readers at the end of articles. Visitors need direction, they crave it, they panic when they don't have it and leave. Appease them by placing ads after content and links to other relevant content on your site. Two things happen at this point: you get more pageviews or they click on your ad and you get paid! Pageviews are the key to getting clicks in adsense.

6: If you have a comments section do your best to respond to everyone who comments. I call this "customer service"... yes, thats right, it's even important on a blog or website. Give people the warm and fuzzy feeling they deserve. Respond to them, answer questions, or just "thank" them for stopping by. It goes a long way! A repeat customers means more potential for clicks. Eyeballs, eyeballs, eyeballs!

7: Rinse, repeat, and maintain!

From a revenue stand point I focus on Page Views and "time on site" rather then Visitors. While both are important the longer someone is on your site the better chance you have at a conversion. Depending on your niche you are going to need something like this to make $1.00 - $2.00 per day:

- 25 Visitors/Day

- Avg of 3 Page Views each (I equate each minute on a site as the equivalent of a page view.) This means if someone is on the site for 3 minutes but is reading a long article it is just as good as them clicking from page to page.

- With a 3% CTR you are looking at 2.25 clicks per day.

- For your low end you will need an avg of .45 cents per click to achieve your goal.

With a focused yet competitive niche you can easily get accepted by search engines within a few months. This can be done with very few back links, and sometimes with none at all. Even a low page rank of 1-2 will bring you in enough to get 25 visitors per day.

Of course everyone has different results and there are many factors that can be put into the mix that changes the results for the better and worse. You just have to experiement and make sure to record as much data as possible.

There is a saying in sales called, "ABC - Always Be Closing", when it comes to minisites and monetization you need to, "ABT - Always Be Testing."

Now I am not an expert by any means when it comes to Adsense, but I am learning and have begun to have great success with the program.

I hope this helps and good luck to all!

Markus

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the feedback Markus.

Definately need to get some better content on the front page, and am thinking about dropping adsense and converting the amazon widgets to just a few selected books linking wth affiliate code to amazon to give the page a less 'addy' look.

Here's another of my mini sites: csstemplate.org

So far, my biggest hurdle is getting unique content. Anyone know of a way to get cheap, unique content? Hire an intern ;)??

Jeffrey said:

Thanks much Jeffrey, going to try it out with my domain ctl8.com

•••
Hire an intern is one way, just let her/him know of sites like Copyscape.com :).

•••
Thanks Markus, but though what you posted is good information, it never really answered my question about how to get the backlinks. You talked about appeasing to search engines, but aside from that?

Also, I don't agree with not posting ads for the first 2-4 months. Reason being is that many layouts are designed with specific spots for advertisements, and if those spots are empty, the layout looks incomplete. Plus, if a site does get lucky and happen to get a decent amount of traffic early on, why miss out on the income? I had one site which had good traffic from the get-go and I was making $2-5 per day; however, that soon died down when my source of traffic disappeared.

•••
NP02139 said:
So far, my biggest hurdle is getting unique content. Anyone know of a way to get cheap, unique content? Hire an intern ;)??

See for me the content is easy but the design is difficult. I know what I want in my head but can't seem to make it work in reality due to my limited skills. Trying to learn a little bit about programming but its slow going. I like what Joomla can do but it seems to make those sites look good you need to have some advanced programming knowledge. Otherwise the sites look like weak parking pages.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider cheap content?

Jed K said:
Thanks Markus, but though what you posted is good information, it never really answered my question about how to get the backlinks. You talked about appeasing to search engines, but aside from that?

Also, I don't agree with not posting ads for the first 2-4 months. Reason being is that many layouts are designed with specific spots for advertisements, and if those spots are empty, the layout looks incomplete. Plus, if a site does get lucky and happen to get a decent amount of traffic early on, why miss out on the income? I had one site which had good traffic from the get-go and I was making $2-5 per day; however, that soon died down when my source of traffic disappeared.

Well Jed, I guess I can't always be perfect :)

Let me see if I can be more helpful to you as I always aim to please...

Nothing that I wrote is set in stone and there are certainly circumstances that would cause for a break in the "rules" so to speak. If you need ads then put them in to make the site look good. I like to build a base of viewers without them and then slowly introduce them over time. I can only state what works for me and it may not be for everyone. I am not in this for a quick fix or quick buck so for me taking an extra few months to get faithful traffic is ok.

Some tips for backlinks are nothing new but I'll list some of the "free" ways I build them:

- Go Old Skool... Link exchange with similar sites and blogs. Shoot a quick, polite email to a site owner and explain to them your are new to the game and looking for some help. Ask them for a link exchange. Worst case, they say no.... move on to the next.

- Produce great content, PERIOD! If you produce great content, that means writing quality content, people will WANT to link to you.

- Post on relevant forums.

- Write unique content to submit to article directories. Make sure not to use something on your site but make it good. Make it better then what you usually write!

It takes hard work and diligence to be succesful in this game. You need to constantly be working to improve what you have. You can't just put a page together and think your site will make you money.

Remember: if it were easy, everyone would be doing it! If everyone were doing it, it wouldn't make you any money!

Good luck and prosper,
Markus

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back