NameSilo

Why Choose Make Offer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I really don't understand why people use the make offer option without giving a range.

Then when you send an offer they just decline and don't counter. Seems like a real waste of time.

Also, as both a buyer and seller I don't feel people respond as well to make offer listings here on np.

Am I missing something?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It really drives me nuts...Here's an example of an exchange....

Me: Hi! I saw your domain for sale listing and would like to make an offer of $XXXX.
Reply: Why are you lowballing me?
Me: Not trying to. I usually overpay. :)
Me: I have recently been offered other similar domains for not much more than $XXXX. That was the basis for offering $XXXX. Not to lowball.
Reply: You better buy those then.

That is ridiculous. Who sells like that?
Far too many people IMO. I agree that it's an ego thing or someone who just gets off on creating annoyances to spread around.

•••
Hi

i think a lot of you have this game twisted in your mind
as you may be thinking that it's all about you, but t ain't.

it's about the name and if you want the name, you got to pay for it.

if somebody owns it, then you have to deal with the owner on their terms, not yours.
plain and simple.

i see folks saying it's ego thing, but bet you won't approach any of the others, that you love to follow, praise and admire, with the same lame inquiries.

annoyances, guess some folk think they are the only folk making inquires, and.... majority of folk who feel that way, if/when they do make an offer, most aren't worth considering.

this is a venue, period, and just because resellers dominate the posts, doesn't mean a seller has to part with their names at wholesale prices, or at, or below, or whatever you think current reseller market value is.

cuz, current is today, and investors.... invest for the future

so if you want quality today, pay future price now.

imo....

Last edited:
•••
Hi

i think a lot of you have this game twisted in your mind
as you may be thinking that it's all about you, but t ain't.

it's about the name and if you want the name, you got to pay for it.

if somebody owns it, then you have to deal with the owner on their terms, not yours.
plain and simple.

i see folks saying it's ego thing, but bet you won't approach any of the others, that you love to follow, praise and admire, with the same lame inquiries.

annoyances, guess some folk think they are the only folk making inquires, and.... majority of folk who feel that way, if/when they do make an offer, most aren't worth considering.

this is a venue, period, and just because resellers dominate the posts, doesn't mean a seller has to part with their names at wholesale prices, or at, or below, or whatever you think current reseller market value is.

cuz, current is today, and investors.... invest for the future

so if you want quality today, pay future price now.

imo....
Make no mistake, this is not a question of what a domain owner CAN do. This is about wasting the time of both the buyer and seller.

Bottom line is that domains put up with make offer, will just sit there mostly.

If a name has make offer, then a seller should expect low offers (leads), and work from there. Sellers want the most for their names and buyers want the best price. Nothing wrong with that.

But if a name might sell for 2k, and someone offers 1k, that gap is NOT so big. Auctions start at $1 and get up there.

When I get an offer close or in the range (like I want 5XXX and get an offer of XXXX), I try to work the lead, and I think long and hard about my investment in the name, the probability of more offers, and the reality of the value of the name.

When I want to sell a name, I sell a name. If I spend my time pump faking, I don't sell names.

•••
Just reading this morning....

"Can you share how the negotiations for this domain name went down?

The initial offer was for $1,000. I responded letting them know that if the offer was at the top end of their budget then, unfortunately, it was going to be to low to accept, but that I would be open to discussing should their budget have room to talk higher. Responding in this form helped me to establish whom I was talking with (domainer/end user). They responded letting me know that it was not at the top end and asked what I was looking to get for the domain and that we could further discuss the price. At this point, I countered with $18,000 with a brief justification for the asking price with some previous premium .io sales attached. They countered my response with a solid $10,000 offer. I responded appreciating the firm offer and that my target price for the domain was $15,000 and that we were close to achieving that price and asked if they had any more wiggle room. They responded that they felt their offer was “fair” and were going to hold firm at $10,000. I countered one last time acknowledging their firm offer and reiterating my “target price” of $15,000 and asked if we could split the difference and equally compromise at $12,500. They agreed to $12,000 and I accepted and closed the deal. We finalized the sale through Escrow.com as it was the buyer’s preference."

Source: https://blog.efty.com/2017/05/03/behind-the-sale-concert-io-from-90-purchase-to-12000-sale/

That's how you sell a name.

Last edited:
•••
I really don't understand why people use the make offer option without giving a range.

Then when you send an offer they just decline and don't counter. Seems like a real waste of time.

Also, as both a buyer and seller I don't feel people respond as well to make offer listings here on np.

Am I missing something?

This happens usually when a market value of domain is Low xxx and you are offering Low - Mid xxx . But seller want high xxxx - xxxxx . May be more :xf.wink:

•••
I have a tendency to stay in the 5k range, that is my comfort zone unless I am contacted by a broker then I will usually stretch out the negotiation as long as I can while I try to gather facts. Usually I am dealing with a bigger company and I can get a higher sale price. The method has worked very well for me and sometimes it has taken up to 1/2 year to conclude the deal. I would never have gotten what I did with a quick off the cuff response. I had to plan out strategy and go on a fact finding mission to maximize my profits.

They would have been much better off to call me and say.... hey how much do you want for that?

My average offer is around $250 and I still respond back with courtesy and use my favorite line....
" it's a great start but I am looking for a bit more for that one "

For most of my domains it just says "under development"
You're a good salesman! (y)

•••
Make no mistake, this is not a question of what a domain owner CAN do. This is about wasting the time of both the buyer and seller.

Bottom line is that domains put up with make offer, will just sit there mostly.

If a name has make offer, then a seller should expect low offers (leads), and work from there. Sellers want the most for their names and buyers want the best price. Nothing wrong with that.

But if a name might sell for 2k, and someone offers 1k, that gap is NOT so big. Auctions start at $1 and get up there.

When I get an offer close or in the range (like I want 5XXX and get an offer of XXXX), I try to work the lead, and I think long and hard about my investment in the name, the probability of more offers, and the reality of the value of the name.

When I want to sell a name, I sell a name. If I spend my time pump faking, I don't sell names.

dude

how you do, is how you do

how i do, is how i have been doing, long before you came on the scene.
i've made more from ppc, than some of you will ever earn trying to sell names

i ain't down with $1 auctions, that's for your crowd
i'd rather drop a name and let the bidders fight for it on namejet, than try to get $2 from you thru paypal.

there is no bottom line to make offer, except when the offer meets the bottom line of what the owner will sell for.

whether it sits a day or a decade, is the choice of the owner, not yours

if a name has make offer, then the owner should expect that anybody who makes an offer, knows the value.

if the offer is too low, the owner has option to say, "too low" or not respond at all.

a domain owner has no obligation to work an inquiry, if the owner even thinks that inquirer is a lowballer, tire-kicker, phishing prices or has other motive other than offering legitimate amount for that respective domain name or names.

a gap, is a gap and it's up to the owner to decide if they want to purse the gap or walk away from the gap.

as for pump faking, most of actions i see on this court, is just some dribbling of the liz-zips.

when i want to sell, if the offer is right, i will

and when it ain't right, i won't

imo.....

Last edited:
•••
When I get an offer I try to do some kind of research on the person making the offer. If I determine they have the means to pay an acceptable price, I try to negotiate.

It's not so much an emotional experience for me. Just business.

Last edited:
•••
Im one of those guys that likes win/win situations.

•••
I ask buyers to make offer above XXXX to open negotiations. This helps the buyer to know about my expected range.

Last edited:
•••
•••
dude

how you do, is how you do

how i do, is how i have been doing, long before you came on the scene.
i've made more from ppc, than some of you will ever earn trying to sell names

i ain't down with $1 auctions, that's for your crowd
i'd rather drop a name and let the bidders fight for it on namejet, than try to get $2 from you thru paypal.

there is no bottom line to make offer, except when the offer meets the bottom line of what the owner will sell for.

whether it sits a day or a decade, is the choice of the owner, not yours

if a name has make offer, then the owner should expect that anybody who makes an offer, knows the value.

if the offer is too low, the owner has option to say, "too low" or not respond at all.

a domain owner has no obligation to work an inquiry, if the owner even thinks that inquirer is a lowballer, tire-kicker, phishing prices or has other motive other than offering legitimate amount for that respective domain name or names.

a gap, is a gap and it's up to the owner to decide if they want to purse the gap or walk away from the gap.

as for pump faking, most of actions i see on this court, is just some dribbling of the liz-zips.

when i want to sell, if the offer is right, i will

and when it ain't right, i won't

imo.....
The point of this thread is about what makes sales. It is understood that each seller or buyer decides what they do.

I have lots of names set with Make Offer. But with NP, personally, I use it more to move names. Not to display them, to move them. I know going in that NP is a reseller platform. Every day I see sales from the previous day on the various major platforms. I know that names go for less here in the reseller market.

Certainly exposure is important. But on those, I usually see links pointing to auctions on other platforms. Seller using NP to let more people know about a domain auction.

Again, every investor is entitled to run their business their way. No question about that. Just wanted to figure out why the Make Offer setup is used if names truly want to be sold.

•••
Lowballer: "But the market....."
Me: "Mine is the cheapest you can find, if you find one cheaper I'll buy it!"
Lowballer: No response.

•••
Lowballer: "But the market....."
Me: "Mine is the cheapest you can find, if you find one cheaper I'll buy it!"
Lowballer: No response.
That implies you quoted your price.

•••
After they made offer.

Generally I give a price before, but if make offer I try to wait for their offer first.

•••
After they made offer.

Generally I give a price before, but if make offer I try to wait for their offer first.
Yes, me too. After a buyer gestures interest, I will give my price. What's the alternative? Tell the buyer their offer is way too low even to counter. Give no idea of the desired price? That is just not the way deals get done in my opinion.

Imagine a million dollar domain gets a 500k offer. Do you just not respond? Do you respond saying "Your offer is an insult? What?

•••
I saw a 4L, CVCV, for sale here on NP with a 10k price tag. I never once thought the seller was crazy. I personally wouldn't make the investment, but I was impressed at the seller's bold price. I completely respect a seller putting their own price tag on their domain. I also don't see any problem with Make Offer as long as the seller is really trying to sell the domain. Otherwise why not just say, "I'm not really looking to sell unless an offer comes along that I can't refuse".

•••
Depends on the offer, if I think s/he is a professional low baller I no longer reply.

•••
The domain market is a professional market. In, my opinion and as a basic rule of thumb there is no need to say sarcastic stuff to potential buyers like you are low-baller find cheaper and I'll buy. On, the other hand if you are a buyer there is no need to say I've bought similar domains for xxx or xxxx. This is a very lucrative professional industry, we need to get over lack of professionalism in my opinion.

•••
Depends on the offer, if I think s/he is a professional low baller I no longer reply.
"Professional Lowballer"...:)

If I get low-balled, I don't beat around the bush. I get right to my price. I don't spend much time wondering if the buyer is a professional tire kicker. I rather let them know right away.

I had a situation just like that. Guy calls me and expresses interest in buying my domain. He gave his best shot at painting a picture of limited resources. His 250 offer turned into a 2500 cashiers check (this was years ago). I simply told him that I was planning on holding the domain for future development and I would only sell for a minimum of 2500. He took all of 3 days to confirm he would pay the 2500.

I could have decided "He's wasting my time", or I, since I was on the phone with him anyway, could give him my reality and see what he did.

Being in some form of sales for the past 30 years, including growing a company from a shoestring to Inc500, I can tell you that both tactics can work in different situations. However, I have learned to pretty much treat every lead seriously. I have had what some would call a bad lead turn into lifelong buyers.

I simply think a friendly, helpful approach works well. Obviously, no one should take kindness as being a fool.

Last edited:
•••
If your minimum is $500 and he offers $500 it's game over for you. The buyer knows that by listing $500 as your minimum that 9 times out of 10 even if you counter higher that you would accept the $500.
Where do you get that from? I have minimum offer set to $500 on most of my domains and my experience is that nearly every prospective buyer who is willing to make a $500 offer is willing to increase their offer above their opening bid of $500. Very few people make a $500 offer without being willing to increase that up to at least $1000, and some have no problem going from $500 to mid $XXXX eventually (again, in my experience with my own portfolio).

The main group who stick to their opening offer is the low ballers with their $20, $50, $100 offers. A complete waste working those leads most of the time. So a minimum offer of $500 (or higher for higher priced names) nicely weeds out most of the low quality leads and time-wasters.

Last edited:
•••
i think Op and some others are missing a key point.

in this game, there are basically two different types of domain owners.:

1. a domain owner "who is offering", some names for sale.

2. a domain owner "who has to sell ", some names.

owner #1, has names for sale, but doesn't necessarily have to sell them, or that particular one, at that time or in the near future.

owner #2. has names for sale, but must continuously move their inventory, in order to sustain or maintain or reach whatever goal, plateau or status they are aspiring for.

and as such, owner #1, is more likely to only accept offers and not deal with chasing down inquirers who's offers aren't worth considering.

while owner #2 has to sell to stay alive, therefore they are more likely to give a price or set BIN's for their names in hopes of selling more domains.

so.... when you think, you want to buy some "liquid" names from a domain owner, then consider that prices are rising for such names, not going down.

the lowball, current market value offers you make today, don't provide any incentive for owner #1, to part with their domains.

but owner #2 may be inclined to negotiate, if they need cash flow.

imo....

•••
i think Op and some others are missing a key point.

in this game, there are basically two different types of domain owners.:

1. a domain owner "who is offering", some names for sale.

2. a domain owner "who has to sell ", some names.

owner #1, has names for sale, but doesn't necessarily have to sell them, or that particular one, at that time or in the near future.

owner #2. has names for sale, but must continuously move their inventory, in order to sustain or maintain or reach whatever goal, plateau or status they are aspiring for.

and as such, owner #1, is more likely to only accept offers and not deal with chasing down inquirers who's offers aren't worth considering.

while owner #2 has to sell to stay alive, therefore they are more likely to give a price or set BIN's for their names in hopes of selling more domains.

so.... when you think, you want to buy some "liquid" names from a domain owner, then consider that prices are rising for such names, not going down.

the lowball, current market value offers you make today, don't provide any incentive for owner #1, to part with their domains.

but owner #2 may be inclined to negotiate, if they need cash flow.

imo....
I keep owner #1 names in my NP signature. I use my limited number of auctions (12 now :) ), to actually attempt to sell owner #2 names.

I think a domain investor can be both.

•••
I will also add that my reading shows that when the guys at the top sell names, the articles often reference the "price tag" they had on it.

Like this one today...
"Frank Schilling bought AudioStore.com at NameJet recently and also sold ChristianFlags.com. The domain had an Afternic “Buy Now” price of $24,000 and looks to have been acquired on a lease-to-own basis."

Source: https://www.namepros.com/blog/detec...s-pour-com-finland-com-changes-hands.1016221/

•••
Where do you get that from? I have minimum offer set to $500 on most of my domains and my experience is that nearly every prospective buyer who is willing to make a $500 offer is willing to increase their offer above their opening bid of $500. Very few people make a $500 offer without being willing to increase that up to at least $1000, and some have no problem going from $500 to mid $XXXX eventually (again, in my experience with my own portfolio).

The main group who stick to their opening offer is the low ballers with their $20, $50, $100 offers. A complete waste working those leads most of the time. So a minimum offer of $500 (or higher for higher priced names) nicely weeds out most of the low quality leads and time-wasters.
If you're willing to accept $500 or close to $500 then by all means it makes sense to price it like that. Many put their minimum at $500 but aren't willing to take close to $500 and you end up starting the negotiation in a uphill battle trying to get to the real minimum amount you would take and most of the time end up accepting less then what the buyer would have been willing to spend because you started off with a lower number.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back