NameSilo

Why Choose Make Offer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I really don't understand why people use the make offer option without giving a range.

Then when you send an offer they just decline and don't counter. Seems like a real waste of time.

Also, as both a buyer and seller I don't feel people respond as well to make offer listings here on np.

Am I missing something?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My thing is, if you're going to put a domain up for sale and ask for offers with no posted price, you should not make the person making an offer feel like they are intruding or offering too little.

If someone makes me an offer, and it's low, I let them know I'm looking for more. If the offer is close, I'll even give a figure.

The situation I mentioned at the top involved a seller that definitely knows the going prices. Yet, because the seller thought I know the going prices, they thought I was low balling. Sure, I look for deals, but I don't think I'm too far off.

If a seller knows what they want for a name, why not just put the price tag on it?

•••
@MapleDots your site is nice. Only, downside is it says inquire for pricing and has no range. It, makes me afraid you will 1: either asking over $1K for them or 2: maybe want over $10K even. Just my thoughts nice domains.

I have a tendency to stay in the 5k range, that is my comfort zone unless I am contacted by a broker then I will usually stretch out the negotiation as long as I can while I try to gather facts. Usually I am dealing with a bigger company and I can get a higher sale price. The method has worked very well for me and sometimes it has taken up to 1/2 year to conclude the deal. I would never have gotten what I did with a quick off the cuff response. I had to plan out strategy and go on a fact finding mission to maximize my profits.

They would have been much better off to call me and say.... hey how much do you want for that?

My average offer is around $250 and I still respond back with courtesy and use my favorite line....
" it's a great start but I am looking for a bit more for that one "

For most of my domains it just says "under development"

Last edited:
•••
My thing is, if you're going to put a domain up for sale and ask for offers with no posted price, you should not make the person making an offer feel like they are intruding or offering too little.

If someone makes me an offer, and it's low, I let them know I'm looking for more. If the offer is close, I'll even give a figure.

The situation I mentioned at the top involved a seller that definitely knows the going prices. Yet, because the seller thought I know the going prices, they thought I was low balling. Sure, I look for deals, but I don't think I'm too far off.

If a seller knows what they want for a name, why not just put the price tag on it?
Nice. Some, sellers have their mind set on a price sometimes based on what they pay. Sometimes, if a seller aid to high close to an end-user price or even just twice floor price, they don't want to lose money even if they know the going rate is much less. For, example take these people spending $300 for a non-chip 4L then saying I won't take less than like $340 or something, when the floor for it might be just $260-$285

•••
Downside, is if you put too high a bin with make an offer some people are NOT going to waste their time to make an offer. For, example if you ask $50,000 for a domain that most people would value at $1,000 to $4,000 or less then someone might think your crazy and not waste their time. SO, I should add set a bin no more than 3x current market value in my opinion.
Absolutely. You have to be realistic.

•••
The whole Make Offer thing seems a tough way to go. I think BIN price is better all the way around. Most of the time Make Offer just brings offers for far less than the seller has in mind. At least with a BIN price, the seller can always adjust, but the buyers always know the price the seller wants.

•••
I have a tendency to stay in the 5k range, that is my comfort zone unless I am contacted by a broker then I will usually stretch out the negotiation as long as I can while I try to gather facts. Usually I am dealing with a bigger company and I can get a higher sale price. The method has worked very well for me and sometimes it has taken up to 1/2 year to conclude the deal. I would never have gotten what I did with a quick off the cuff response. I had to plan out strategy and go on a fact finding mission to maximize my profits.

They would have been much better off to call me and say.... hey how much do you want for that?

My average offer is around $250 and I still respond back with courtesy and use my favorite line....
" it's a great start but I am looking for a bit more for that one "

For most of my domains it just says "under development"
If I got that response then I would offer you $500. An extra $250 is a bit more to me but may still be way off to you.

•••
If I got that response then I would offer you $500. An extra $250 is a bit more to me but may still be way off to you.

Thats a good point but in most cases the next thing the client says is much are you looking for ?
At that point I usually quote the price but I never say I had an offer of xxxx, I hate that response when I ask to buy a domain.

•••
Thats a good point but in most cases the next thing the client says is much are you looking for ?
At that point I usually quote the price but I never say I had an offer of xxxx, I hate that response when I ask to buy a domain.
That's another problem. The old.."I've had offers over $xxxxxxxxxxx. I'm like..."Why didn't you sell it then?".

•••
Different strategies for different sellers. Sometimes, the seller doesn't want to sell badly. Other times, make offer really means best offer.

•••
That's another problem. The old.."I've had offers over $xxxxxxxxxxx. I'm like..."Why didn't you sell it then?".
Yeah, when a seller does that to me, I lose lots of trust in deal with them. I mean if a new gtld and they claim they have a $30,000+ offer for it. Then, I begin to think if they aren't honest about the offers, they said they got. Then, I don't trust them as seller and think it might be fraud who knows maybe they don't even own the domain.

•••
I really don't understand why people use the make offer option without giving a range.

Then when you send an offer they just decline and don't counter. Seems like a real waste of time.

Also, as both a buyer and seller I don't feel people respond as well to make offer listings here on np.

Am I missing something?

I don't even look in the Make Offer section on NP's. I avoid it altogether. That would be my advice to you.

•••
I think it's better to put a Buy Now price and discount off that then to put a minimum and try to come up to where you think they would buy.
That may work but if I only list a BIN without the Make Offer and if the BIN is high end of where I want to be then I scare off a lot of potential buyers. I usually put both Make Offer and BIN. And if as you say, if the buyer will not go much over the min offer, then I am happy to take that offer because it is truly my minimum. I do have several domains on my auction site where I do not place the Make Offer option, only BIN and that means the price is firm. No negotiations.

•••
I don't even look in the Make Offer section on NP's. I avoid it altogether. That would be my advice to you.
Nice, make-an-offer is an option not just in make-an-offer section as you know. Do you find interest in the domains in the Liquid Domain section that are make-an-offer?

•••
Nice, make-an-offer is an option not just in make-an-offer section as you know. Do you find interest in the domains in the Liquid Domain section that are make-an-offer?

I never look in the Liquid Domain Section also, for the same reasons. Well maybe once a year. For the same reasons. Expectations are generally unrealistic.

•••
I had all my domains in our domain for sale page set to make an offer and they all came in under $500 including names I paid thousands for. Also got emails trying to convince me sometimes you need to take a loss on a name even a one word.
got so many what i considered low offers on one word names that I also stopped responding. Was getting at least 4 offers a month on each of the top 20 names and it was getting to be a waste to even reply to each of these. Once I set my pages to min offers all the offers slowed down.

So at the end of the day you just dont know whos at the other end of the chain. if its a guy who has one great name it maybe fun to respond to to all offers. if its an investor with hundreds or thousands of names they just ignore the emails.

I recently sent an email to one of the domain ledgands about a domain he previously purchased from me. I was sending him a hello with the contact info of interested buyers after I sold it.

In the first line of the email I mentioned the highest auction price ($5k)...he mentioned later that he must have scanned the email and throught i sent him a low ball offer of that highest auction price and never even read the contacts I sent over.

if your busy you may just read the the preview and not even click into the email. just so many reasons why someone does not reply. But having a system that tracks all your offer history in one place and allow you set a page that lets you buy now, ,make offer or both with min offer helps.

•••
On the occasion I have received unsolicited offers that were much higher than expected. So sometimes it makes sense not to put a BIN but keep options open. And if you put a BIN of 5K, the potential buyer knows your expectations and will probably try to bargain for half the price. Even with a BIN you should keep room for negotiation.
I think it depends on the domain.
For the less liquid and premium names with an expected retail value of low $,$$$, you can slap a BIN you're comfortable with and wait.
For the best names like LLL/com, you take offers but you don't show your hand.

•••
I am convinced that the combination of

a
BIN PRICE (you have to know what you want)
+
the option of
MAKE OFFER (fixed minimum bid)

is the best way to handle it.

While I am always staying focused to the BIN PRICE I stay flexible to negotiate.
Every negotiation is / will always be a new, individual situation.

Last edited:
•••
In the past few years have converted most of my " Make Offer " domains to " Buy Now " domains with
sane market value pricing.

Traffic has bumped up, sales increased and, although a few people still find ways to " make offers " their offers are better and closer to the Buy Now pricing ( better offers up also).

These are more shallow end of the domain pool names, low/mid XXXX Buy Now names.

IMO most of my Buy Now names hold appeal to single owner/proprietor/ small business owner type
end-users who can do costs factoring and benefit factoring re the name prior to deciding to click and purchase the name.

They find the name I have available at the " Buy Now" price, they can digest the Buy Now price for a while and, they can do a quick cost/benefit analysis specific to their business,

Then click and acquire or move on elsewhere.

Make Offer for my perceived place in the marketplace was inefficient for my potential buyer pool and my circumstances.

BUY NOW for me 'n my domains is more efficient than the Make Offer option.

Last edited:
•••
It really drives me nuts...Here's an example of an exchange....

Me: Hi! I saw your domain for sale listing and would like to make an offer of $XXXX.
Reply: Why are you lowballing me?
Me: Not trying to. I usually overpay. :)
Me: I have recently been offered other similar domains for not much more than $XXXX. That was the basis for offering $XXXX. Not to lowball.
Reply: You better buy those then.

That is ridiculous. Who sells like that?

this post is round a bout expression that reminds me of conversation i had

previously, this dude sent inquiry asking if i would sell some chinesepremium.com 4 L.com and a cvcv.com under $900

so, i look at this dude's numbers, his trader rating and tenure here, including all the threads he has started, asking questions, posting news, giving referrals, etc, etc, as if he knows the game.

so, when i pass on that lowball offer, a few week later after i bumped my thread, this dude asks again if i would take $1.350 for same cvcv com, cuz he can buy others for less or same amount or something to that effect.

kinda felt like he, was trying to run a jedi mind trick, on me.

so, yeah, when dude told me that shiz-zit, of course i said, "you better buy those then"

ridiculous reply?, yeah, cuz i got a ridiculous offer, imo

and just cuz dude came up a couple hundred dollars, dude think i'm supposed to bite, like a hungry mo-fo who ain't ate nothing, like i'm stizzz-zarving for a thousand doll hairs.

who sells like that?

i don't, to lowballers.

imo....

•••

The problem with that is markets are changing all the time. It's difficult to adjust priced up or down on several thousands of domains individually, all at the same time. So what they want from a domain is only static for fleeting moments in time. IMHO. You might say "do it rotationally" but it's just as much workload, if not more, than doing it all at once.

Last edited:
•••
I think more sales are made via bin or outbound.

•••
Well, I'm an honest guy. If I want a name it could be for different reasons. When I see Make Offer, it makes me cringe. Try asking "How much do you want for it". Then you get, "Don't Ask, Just Make Your Offer".

Not going to be a popular opinion in the context of this thread, but tbh, that stance does not make sense to me. If, as a seller, I wanted to state an outright price, I'd have put it as a BIN. The entire point of a "Make Offer" is to accept "offers". In that scenario, being asked "how much" is as frustrating to the seller as the response you stated in your comment is to the buyer. Why ignore the seller's intrinsic request for an offer and go with a how much? And this is not just on NP but outside as well. However, I find it more frustrating on NP as the rules are much more clearly outlined, the posts much more clearly marked and delineated.

Just as "Don't Ask, Just Make Your Offer" is counter-productive to a sale process, for me, I personally am turned off a buyer (esp on NP) when they message with a how much for a make offer listing and tend to not focus much on those buyers.

Ps. I know in your earlier anecdote, you did state an offer. Here, I'm commenting precisely only on the scenario you outlined here.

•••
Namepros is wholesale I don't really see the need for any retail pricing here. Make offer without a price range to me is clearance.

•••
Namepros is wholesale I don't really see the need for any retail pricing here. Make offer without a price range to me is clearance.

I agree with you, mostly. But we are seeing an uptick in End-Users, if I understood Eric correctly. I wish the sellers would agree with you and not quote end-user prices to all us domainers who make up the vast bulk of users/buyers on NPs. If they want to sell at end-user pricing, they should be using GoDaddy. Not NamePros. They are just wasting their's and everbody else's time.

Last edited:
•••
I just wish namepros members would use the private message system instead of dreaming up their identity to email asking for a price,

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back