Dynadot

Why Choose Make Offer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I really don't understand why people use the make offer option without giving a range.

Then when you send an offer they just decline and don't counter. Seems like a real waste of time.

Also, as both a buyer and seller I don't feel people respond as well to make offer listings here on np.

Am I missing something?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I saw a 4L, CVCV, for sale here on NP with a 10k price tag. I never once thought the seller was crazy. I personally wouldn't make the investment, but I was impressed at the seller's bold price. I completely respect a seller putting their own price tag on their domain. I also don't see any problem with Make Offer as long as the seller is really trying to sell the domain. Otherwise why not just say, "I'm not really looking to sell unless an offer comes along that I can't refuse".
I'm using the Bodis inquiry landing page so that potential buyers can make an offer. I have a small portfolio so that I'm happy to respond to every offer, but I literally ignore offers sent only without any message - only the amount. I hate this type of offers and I never respond. I don't do business with people that are not willing to write a short message attached to the offered price. Just my 2 cents. :xf.smile:

•••
If you're willing to accept $500 or close to $500 then by all means it makes sense to price it like that. Many put their minimum at $500 but aren't willing to take close to $500 and you end up starting the negotiation in a uphill battle trying to get to the real minimum amount you would take and most of the time end up accepting less then what the buyer would have been willing to spend because you started off with a lower number.
I see your point. I price 100% of my names with a BIN price too, so the people who make an offer should be able to ascertain roughly whether its going to be realistic for them to get the name within their price range and what kind of negotiation would follow their initial $500 bid.

I find that prospective buyers usually increase their offer according to my listed BIN price, e.g. if the listed BIN price is $2500, they are often willing to increase their $500 offer to $1250-1750, if it is $5000, they often come up to $2500-$3500 after a while, and so on.

Of course if you expect minimum $15000 for a name, but simply list it as make offer at $500 with no indication of what you actually want for the name, that’s often not a good way to start negotiations, as the prospective buyer might get a sticker shock upon learning what you want for the name and realize that it was a waste for them to make a $500 bid, as $15000 might simply be way above their budget limit.

I'm using the Bodis inquiry landing page so that potential buyers can make an offer. I have a small portfolio so that I'm happy to respond to every offer, but I literally ignore offers sent only without any message - only the amount. I hate this type of offers and I never respond. I don't do business with people that are not willing to write a short message attached to the offered price. Just my 2 cents. :xf.smile:
So if you get a message simply with "$1000", an amount but no message, you would ignore it? Don't see the logic behind ignoring offers that don't come with a message. I'm sometimes just sent just an offer amount, then respond with my counter offer, and then the buyer adds a message with their counter-offer to my counter-offer. Sold several names that started out like that recently (an amount without any message).

•••
I see your point. I price 100% of my names with a BIN price too, so the people who make an offer should be able to ascertain roughly whether its going to be realistic for them to get the name within their price range and what kind of negotiation would follow their initial $500 bid.

I find that prospective buyers usually increase their offer according to my listed BIN price, e.g. if the listed BIN price is $2500, they are often willing to increase their $500 offer to $1250-1750, if it is $5000, they often come up to $2500-$3500 after a while, and so on.

Of course if you expect minimum $15000 for a name, but simply list it as make offer at $500 with no indication of what you actually want for the name, that’s often not a good way to start negotiations, as the prospective buyer might get a sticker shock upon learning what you want for the name and realize that it was a waste for them to make a $500 bid, as $15000 might simply be way above their budget limit.

So if you get a message simply with "$1000", an amount but no message, you would ignore it? Don't see the logic behind ignoring offers that don't come with a message. I'm sometimes just sent just an offer amount, then respond with my counter offer, and then the buyer adds a message with their counter-offer to my counter-offer. Sold several names that started out like that recently (an amount without any message).
Thanks for your input! Didn't get initial $1000 offer yet. Three $100 offers recently. I can't imagine that somebody would offer $1000 without any message. Maybe I'm wrong - if I am offering I always write a short note with it.

•••
No offense honestly but being this long in domaining You should know that the biggest reason of your price for a domain is indeed not its worth but the buyer Thats why enduser, reseller and all have different prices given by us for a domain. Lets say you have a crap domain and Bill Gates wants to buy it Will you really let it go for 100$? And when you set your domain to Buy Now you also limit it to a price What if the end user is willing to pay more? Its obviously bad to misbehave after getting a lowball offer and its that guy's fault and he should politely reply with what he expects but I still think Make Offer is better than Buy Now Of course Buy Now has its own advantages like you get to sell the domain faster but if an end user is really interested you should let him make the offer Thats my opinion at least

•••
I really don't understand why people use the make offer option without giving a range.

Then when you send an offer they just decline and don't counter. Seems like a real waste of time.

Also, as both a buyer and seller I don't feel people respond as well to make offer listings here on np.

Am I missing something?
Here is the real issue. There are two types of people on NP for most part.
1. Reasonable sellers and buyers who buy in ranges.
2. Scammers who want to buy 6 figure domain for $50 and sell $50 domain for 6 figures. They want something for nothing, but at the end they get nothing for something.
My advice is to avoid 2nd category of buyers and sellers. You wasting your time. Thats why they don't reply with counter! You are correct MAKE OFFER benefits 2nd group of scammers who can do this crap.

•••
No offense honestly but being this long in domaining You should know that the biggest reason of your price for a domain is indeed not its worth but the buyer Thats why enduser, reseller and all have different prices given by us for a domain. Lets say you have a crap domain and Bill Gates wants to buy it Will you really let it go for 100$? And when you set your domain to Buy Now you also limit it to a price What if the end user is willing to pay more? Its obviously bad to misbehave after getting a lowball offer and its that guy's fault and he should politely reply with what he expects but I still think Make Offer is better than Buy Now Of course Buy Now has its own advantages like you get to sell the domain faster but if an end user is really interested you should let him make the offer Thats my opinion at least

There is a lot of good sense in your post, and I do agree with you.

•••
•••

Am I missing something?

Yeah I never saw the point in not counter offering. Thought that's how negotiating went in sales.

•••
here's a flip side perspective on this coin:

for those of you who send outbound solicitations, means you are trying to sell your domain names.

when those recipients don't respond to your emails, to sell them domain names, then that means they aren't interested.
if that happens, do you have a right, to get mad?

you don't feel they have any obligation to negotiate with you or even reply. as you're just hopeful, grateful, or so damn glad, somebody replied.
though that may be all due to who got the email and what name/names you were soliciting.

well, it's the same with sellers who receive offers, that they,,,, are not interested in entertaining.

and, depending on the amount you offer and what domain you're making an offer on....then, they may not respond or counter offer, either.

and... should that happen, do you have a right, to get mad?

puff-puff......ahhhhh

imo.....

•••
here's a flip side perspective on this coin:

for those of you who send outbound solicitations, means you are trying to sell your domain names.

when those recipients don't respond to your emails, to sell them domain names, then that means they aren't interested.
if that happens, do you have a right, to get mad?

you don't feel they have any obligation to negotiate with you or even reply. as you're just hopeful, grateful, or so damn glad, somebody replied.
though that may be all due to who got the email and what name/names you were soliciting.

well, it's the same with sellers who receive offers, that they,,,, are not interested in entertaining.

and, depending on the amount you offer and what domain you're making an offer on....then, they may not respond or counter offer, either.

and... should that happen, do you have a right, to get mad?

puff-puff......ahhhhh

imo.....

Good point and analogy.

What about when buyers ask for domains? Is expecting a not interested too much to ask for? Especially for those who take the time to follow and adhere to the requirements?

•••
Good point and analogy.

Thanks

What about when buyers ask for domains? Is expecting a not interested too much to ask for? Especially for those who take the time to follow and adhere to the requirements?

to expect a "not interested"?

hmmmmmm

depends, on whom

is it....
somebody you know, done biz with before

some new member

somebody out the blue

some old member

somebody you know about, but never done biz with or had previous contact with

somebody you contacted before who didn;t reply then, so you waited and contacted once more

somebody who bought a name that has same keywords as yours, so you sent them an email hoping they want your names too

or just somebody who posted a domains wanted thread?

it depends.....

:)

imo...

•••
I have received offers in languages I cant understand. I have had low offers and I still come back with my price.

I can tell you this. Almost every time I receive an end user inquiry, I try to engage them. I have no problem letting a fellow domain investor that I am looking for an end user.

I just know that in business, making connections, conducting myself professionally, keeping doors open, and trying to create win/win deals, has never failed me.

•••
I can now even offer financing. I have in some cases, suggested that an offer could be a down payment.

Im looking to sell names to people that want them.

•••
Another example.

Two weeks ago I made an offer on a really nice domain. My plan was to purchase this domain. The seller was warm and kind. Ultimately, because the seller was genuine and helpful, I bought two names and spent 3 times what I had planned. Because the seller wanted to sell and took a few minutes, he got his price, a great new relationship, and sold 1500 in domains from my initial 500 offer. It was here in NP.

If I see someone has hundreds of successful transactions and obviously has resources etc, thats a person to at least talk with. I would never just blow off that type of person. Im serious about my growing my business.

Thats how I roll.

•••
Thanks

to expect a "not interested"?

hmmmmmm

depends, on whom

is it....
somebody you know, done biz with before

some new member

somebody out the blue

some old member

somebody you know about, but never done biz with or had previous contact with

somebody you contacted before who didn;t reply then, so you waited and contacted once more

somebody who bought a name that has same keywords as yours, so you sent them an email hoping they want your names too

or just somebody who posted a domains wanted thread?

it depends.....

imo...
ahaha.. Far too many questions. But, maybe several of those situations. All in response to Wanted thread and pretty much fully compliant with the thread's requirements

•••
As far as Make Offer sales on this predominantly reseller platform, should sellers expect to leave room for the buyer? What would be a formula for a reseller making an offer?

•••

Am I missing something?
I just go past those - I hate fishing for a number

•••
•••
ahaha.. Far too many questions. But, maybe several of those situations. All in response to Wanted thread and pretty much fully compliant with the thread's requirements

yeah, i know, but you have to put in all possible scenarios.

but of course, i have sent submissions to threads in dn wanted section

some reply - i spent my budget for the period

some reply - thanks, nice names... i'm still reviewing submissions

some don't reply.

some reply - with offer

some reply - with counter offer, if i submit a price

some have agreed to purchase and didn't

some have agreed to purchase and transaction was completed.

imo....

•••
Virtually all of my domains are Make Offer. It does take longer to sell a property. But I focus on emerging tech trends, and develop, so time becomes an asset that increases value -while generating some rev.

Make Offer domains shifts Pricing to standards-based investment pros in a given industry, because domainer pricing lacks industry standards and market ethics. Its a Buyer Beware market. For example:

When a property market has no pricing 'Blue Book', no property provenance standards, and it ignores property de-indexing enmasse (not informing buyers or impacting valuation), then that industry does not have a valid value matrix from which to fairly determine pricing.

As Make Offer replies have come from capital finance firms -that crunch the numbers... on the trend, the name, markets, etc.. I've adopted comfortably to the slow sell life... because best practices and bigger paydays makes the job and the wait more rewarding.

•••
because domainer pricing lacks industry standards and market ethics.
Totally respect that. And you have been a member for many years and that means alot. But do you really think that part?

•••
I've adopted comfortably to the slow sell life... because best practices and bigger paydays makes the job and the wait more rewarding.

i feel yah

imo....

•••
Yes, I do think that.

The price of any property removed from 'the index', be it real estate, a car, fine art, gets devalued.
Why should domain names be different?

Just like with 'Lemon Laws', sellers are obligated to tell buyers the car has no tags / not in the index / can't be driven on the (super) highway, was refurbished, and so on.

When consumers didn't know what car was a lemon it had a negative impact on all sales, and prices, and earned 'Used Car Dealers' a bad rap.

I think its safe to say Domainers have earned the bad... Used URL Salesman rap online.

Totally respect that. And you have been a member for many years and that means alot. But do you really think that part?

•••
Yes, I do think that.

The price of any property removed from 'the index', be it real estate, a car, fine art, gets devalued.
Why should domain names be different?

Just like with 'Lemon Laws', sellers are obligated to tell buyers the car has no tags / not in the index / can't be driven on the (super) highway, was refurbished, and so on.

When consumers didn't know what car was a lemon it had a negative impact on all sales, and prices, and earned 'Used Car Dealers' a bad rap.

I think its safe to say Domainers have earned the bad... Used URL Salesman rap online.
Oh, I gotcha. Thanks for that.

•••
You know, the exact opposite if this is to set a ridiculous BIN right off the bat. It's just equally stupid....

I once tried to purchase a LLLL.com on flippa, the guy saw some lowball offers and he placed a $1500 BIN. Then guess what, the buyers (including me) made a few more offers and figured out his reserve price. :D

I ended up buying that domain for not more than 50% of the BIN.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back