Dynadot

advice Bank Fraud When Using Cards for Domain Transactions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Pusang Gala

NoyPi DomainerTop Member
Impact
Hi everyone, I recently became a victim of bank fraud involving unauthorized transactions, resulting in a loss of around $7K. This experience has made me extremely cautious about using my bank and credit cards for domain transactions. This is the first time something like this has happened to me, and I’ve been using this card (not my primary card) for domaining since I started in 2015.
Given that buying and selling domains often requires using these cards, I'm curious about the strategies you all employ to avoid such incidents.

Questions:

Do you use separate cards for purchasing domains and receiving payouts from domain sales?
After receiving funds from a sale, do you transfer them immediately to another account, such as your primary account card?
Additionally, are there any other security measures or best practices you follow to protect yourself from fraud? Any advice or insights you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't get it, did you somehow compromised your card info including cvv code? 3d secure and other forms of two-step verification is everywhere (i guess), how is that happened?
Sorry for your loss.

•••
I don't get it, did you somehow compromised your card info including cvv code? 3d secure and other forms of two-step verification is everywhere (i guess), how is that happened?
Sorry for your loss.
I didn't compromise my card info or CVV code. I always take precautions to protect my information. Despite that, the unauthorized transactions still occurred. I suspect this might be an inside job from my bank, as I've heard other people with the same bank complaining about similar issues.

•••
•••
•••
Sounds like you don't even know the source of the fraud. A domain platform or your bank.

First thing is to figure that out to prevent something like that from happening again.

Next is to get a Paypal account if you don't have one. Then link a credit card to the PayPal account and use Paypal for your domain purchases.

Also, have you tried to initiate a chargeback on the credit card?

•••
I would try to compile a list of all the sites you have used your bank card at and check to see if they had a data breach.

Get a credit card so you can use it to pay for domains and then use your bank card to pay off the balance. This way you don't carry a balance on the credit card.

•••
Just let say you never share card details, Are you 100% sure nobody(your family,friend,gf etc) know or using your card? Also almost all bank have internal fraud departments that investigate unauthorized transactions / customer disputes, they can check everything related to the trx. IMO you should change your bank ASAP, if not possible- ask for brand new card. but its will be useless if you falling to phising site.

•••
Update: I have reported this issue to my bank, and they are currently investigating it. They have informed me that they will provide an update within 5-7 banking days.

•••
Just let say you never share card details, Are you 100% sure nobody(your family,friend,gf etc) know or using your card? Also almost all bank have internal fraud departments that investigate unauthorized transactions / customer disputes, they can check everything related to the trx. IMO you should change your bank ASAP, if not possible- ask for brand new card. but its will be useless if you falling to phising site.
I can assure you that I never shared my card details with anyone, including family, friends, or anyone else. Moreover, the unauthorized transactions I encountered were from locations outside my country. My bank has already closed my old card and issued me a new one.

•••
It is from phising. There are 3 possible scenarios :

1. You feel your credit card detail in fake website. For example, most fake website offer you to download an app, music, photo for free as trial, but you must file a credit card info. The app, the music, the photo are not their legal properties, they only collect your credit card info.
2. There is a back door in your Smartphone, and the hacker can see what you type in Smartphone including Whatsapp, Email, password. It can be if you had install back door app accidently.
3. You bought with credit card in a legit website, but the legit website became a victim of data breach.

Last edited:
•••
I rarely save card details anywhere, especially at small registrars. I always try to use payment intermediaries such as paypal. If you used your card at Epik, then remember they had a data breach including card details. Not sure about other countries but in the EU there's an obligatory "2fa" for online card payments introduced by the PSD2 bill. It's cumbersome but it works.

Last edited:
•••
Billions are stolen a month from peoples credit cards and the numbers keep going up because more people use them.

If you want to lower the chances of fraud you will need to get cards that let you generate control who bills and what amount they can bill, plus a card that lets you turn the thing off. Privacy dot com is one option. People usually use these solutions after they got robbed.

I know the feeling is horrible and I wish you well.

•••
I have reported this issue to my bank, and they are currently investigating it.
Hi

probably should have done that first, before posting.

still, we hope you get favorable results.

imo...

•••
Hi

probably should have done that first, before posting.

still, we hope you get favorable results.

imo...
I did call their 24/7 support immediately since it was 10 PM and outside office hours. Unfortunately, the line was busy, and I couldn’t get through for two hours.

•••
I hope you get resolution for the situation, and various people have provided good suggestions.

I am not sure if you can still change title, but it is unfortunate, since as I understand it there is no specific evidence that this necessarily has anything to do with a domain transaction unless that is the only place you used that card, and not necessarily even then. As per scenarios people outline above.

I would not use a credit card with any provider, domain or otherwise, that I do not have full trust in.

I hope you get a positive reply. Usually the banks will reverse charges, and normally issue a new card if they find an unauthorized use.

-Bob

•••
Your topic title is confusing, it sounds as Registrars are fraudulent when charging for domain related transactions.
edit: Although I had issues paying for domains, my Bank was blocking transactions to Epik, Porkbun and sometimes at Cosmotown, because they have think i play gambling games.

Last edited:
•••
Your topic title is confusing, it sounds as Registrars are fraudulent when charging for domain related transactions.
edit: Although I had issues paying for domains, my Bank was blocking transactions to Epik, Porkbun and sometimes at Cosmotown, because they have think i play gambling games.
I apologize for any confusion caused by the title. My intent was to discuss strategies for avoiding bank fraud when using cards for domain transactions, not to imply that registrars are fraudulent.

•••
I apologize for any confusion caused by the title. My intent was to discuss strategies for avoiding bank fraud when using cards for domain transactions, not to imply that registrars are fraudulent.
No problem, I share my exp, but as many point it is better to have a 3rd party company like Paypal to process CC payments and I agree that this is the best way, even when my Bank bans the transactions Paypal saves my a**.:ROFL:

•••
I never use my bank card for anything as that's real money and once you lose it, the banks (no matter what they say in their ads about being "fully protected from fraud") do not want to give it back to you without a fight. Banks are also lazy as crap when it comes to due diligence and will just give your money away like candy to fraudsters & criminals, then refuse to do anything to help under the guise of "you didn't protect your bank card".

I have a $500 withdrawal limit on my bank card, I have removed Tap, and I only use it for bank inquiries and online account info. The less you use your bank card the less your numbers and codes are floating around in the ether.

For everything else I use a low-limit credit card for all online purchases and monitor it constantly. VISA and MC are much, much, much better about monitoring transactions and helping customers when fraud takes place. I had a crazy Uber driver jacking my VISA in Florida and VISA immediately reversed the charges and issued me a new card.

If that's my bank card they used, I'm in a whole lot of trouble getting even a penny back.

Do not trust banks to do anything to help their customers out, as their only interest is money. If you lost money to fraud or other criminal activity, then you are now their enemy. Remember that.

Last edited:
•••
It's very unusual; all the more relevant Banks / Card issuers have implemented 3D Secure - just called differently for each Provider.
So you had a loss of 7k$ - I'm sorry for that!

I assume you don't use a Prepaid credit card, which means you have a Debit Card (which deducts Money from your current account connected to a particular Card) or a "regular" Credit Card, which would be even better for you since Insurance would be easier to support.

Do you mind telling me what kind of transaction you had? Who was the Merchant? If you want, you can blur the Transaction Details.
The exact End2End Txt Code is not relevant.

Using a credit card is very secure nowadays - depending on your Card issuer.
Even when the Card is connected to PayPal and crosses a certain threshold, you need to verify with your 2-Factor Authentification Method.

So everything sounds like a Phishing Fraud.

Best
zotix

Edit: It could also be that you used your Card physically somewhere, where a Scanner was implemented on top of the Keyboard of the Point-of-Sale (POS—the Terminal where you confirm your Transaction by entering the PIN).

With those methods, people can extract two Rows of your Essential credit card details, decode them, and prepare them accordingly with some Methods I can't write here to duplicate your Credit Card.
In that case, you will have a Transaction, or probably two or three Transactions, where someone paid in Real life or went to the ATM.
But since it's $7k$, the "regular" weekly/daily Limit should not be enough (default) to withdraw this amount.
It's a bit different with Amex. But just to "calm you down," you should be fine calling the Bank. In Germany, you have to go to the Police as well.
But first things first: Call the Card Issuer and let the Card get blocked; as soon as you know about it, it's mandatory for you; otherwise, it's "partially" your fault (Check the TOS of your Card).

Last edited:
•••
It's almost certainly an International/Global Money Transfer as those are relatively new and as such, don't have any legal regulations surrounding them in many countries, so banks just run wild and do whatever they want.

Up here in Canada, the (cough) 'daily limit" is $75,000 to $100,000 to a maximum of $3 million a month (!) and there is no way to disclude yourself from the program or to lower your daily limit to something rational These insane $$$$$ figures are like ringing the dinner bell for every lowlife imaginable.

As such, Global Money Transfers have quickly become the hottest method for thieves to steal money and get away scot-free. It's also grown into very sophisticated schemes of multi-party video surveillance (to gain your phone codes and PIN numbers), combined with robbery or faking car accidents in order to get your phone, ID and bank card, and then you're potentially out $75,000! Maybe even $100K!

And the banks will always say "Sorry, but you didn't protect your card or devices!" and refuse to give your money back. One guy had a gun to his head and was robbed by well-known criminals and even intervention by the police couldn't get him his $35K global money transfer back.

Banks offer zero protection for these transfers, and then allow massive and idiotic daily "limits" like $100,000 a day. Can you spell "Recipe for Disaster"?

And don't think your loss will be limited to the amount of money in your account, as banks are helpful enough to allow criminals to use your Line of Credit, or even apply for a new loan, in order to properly fund these scumbags with a free $75K-$100K international money transfer.

It's like the banks are working with the criminals to steal as much of your money as possible. It's insanity.

Last edited:
•••
Hi everyone, I wanted to update you all that my bank has refunded the money I lost due to the unauthorized transactions. I'm relieved and grateful for their quick resolution. Thanks to everyone for your advice and support.

•••
Hi everyone, I wanted to update you all that my bank has refunded the money I lost due to the unauthorized transactions.

That's great news and you're one of the lucky ones.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back