NameSilo

Why Choose Make Offer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I really don't understand why people use the make offer option without giving a range.

Then when you send an offer they just decline and don't counter. Seems like a real waste of time.

Also, as both a buyer and seller I don't feel people respond as well to make offer listings here on np.

Am I missing something?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because someone at some point in time will make me a $25,000 offer for my $8 name. :) LOL Make offer is a waste of time. Put a price and sell it is my mantra.

•••
I really don't understand why people use the make offer option without giving a range.

Then when you send an offer they just decline and don't counter. Seems like a real waste of time.

Also, as both a buyer and seller I don't feel people respond as well to make offer listings here on np.

Am I missing something?

I don't even look in the Make Offer section on NP's. I avoid it altogether. That would be my advice to you.

•••
It really drives me nuts...Here's an example of an exchange....

Me: Hi! I saw your domain for sale listing and would like to make an offer of $XXXX.
Reply: Why are you lowballing me?
Me: Not trying to. I usually overpay. :)
Me: I have recently been offered other similar domains for not much more than $XXXX. That was the basis for offering $XXXX. Not to lowball.
Reply: You better buy those then.

That is ridiculous. Who sells like that?

•••
As a buyer I would not use lines like I have recently been offered other similar domains for not much more than $XXXX...it's not a good buyers argument because the seller can easily call your bluff (even if it is not a bluff) as he did. As a buyer you want to probe the seller for their lowest price but you have to anticipate their next move before you even make yours.

Last edited:
•••
On the occasion I have received unsolicited offers that were much higher than expected. So sometimes it makes sense not to put a BIN but keep options open. And if you put a BIN of 5K, the potential buyer knows your expectations and will probably try to bargain for half the price. Even with a BIN you should keep room for negotiation.
I think it depends on the domain.
For the less liquid and premium names with an expected retail value of low $,$$$, you can slap a BIN you're comfortable with and wait.
For the best names like LLL/com, you take offers but you don't show your hand.

•••
In the past few years have converted most of my " Make Offer " domains to " Buy Now " domains with
sane market value pricing.

Traffic has bumped up, sales increased and, although a few people still find ways to " make offers " their offers are better and closer to the Buy Now pricing ( better offers up also).

These are more shallow end of the domain pool names, low/mid XXXX Buy Now names.

IMO most of my Buy Now names hold appeal to single owner/proprietor/ small business owner type
end-users who can do costs factoring and benefit factoring re the name prior to deciding to click and purchase the name.

They find the name I have available at the " Buy Now" price, they can digest the Buy Now price for a while and, they can do a quick cost/benefit analysis specific to their business,

Then click and acquire or move on elsewhere.

Make Offer for my perceived place in the marketplace was inefficient for my potential buyer pool and my circumstances.

BUY NOW for me 'n my domains is more efficient than the Make Offer option.

Last edited:
•••
I don't even use offer, I just say "available for development" because I develop some domains, I logo up others, or I just sell the domains. Regardless I don't want to say for sale in case someone tries to reverse hijack me and trust me I have had that happen and its not fun.

However if someone does contact me I am polite, courteous and I listen to what the prospective client has to say. In most cases I say "it's a great start but I am looking for a bit more for that one".

I learned some of that from some advice from another successful domainer. I have tucked that away over the years and like the way it makes the conversation less confrontive.

Last edited:
•••
I only said that because this was truly the basis for my offer amount.
Yeah I get it, but in the end you want to be playing advanced chess or poker, which means you always keep them guessing and never show your cards. It is easy for an experienced seller to read between lines of text and in doing so see part of, if not all of your hand.

•••
Well, I'm an honest guy. If I want a name it could be for different reasons. When I see Make Offer, it makes me cringe. Try asking "How much do you want for it". Then you get, "Don't Ask, Just Make Your Offer".

When I gesture to buy, I just want a price. If I want lower, I'll ask. Otherwise I'll accept the price, pay, and move on.

•••
That's another problem. The old.."I've had offers over $xxxxxxxxxxx. I'm like..."Why didn't you sell it then?".
Yeah, when a seller does that to me, I lose lots of trust in deal with them. I mean if a new gtld and they claim they have a $30,000+ offer for it. Then, I begin to think if they aren't honest about the offers, they said they got. Then, I don't trust them as seller and think it might be fraud who knows maybe they don't even own the domain.

•••
I am convinced that the combination of

a
BIN PRICE (you have to know what you want)
+
the option of
MAKE OFFER (fixed minimum bid)

is the best way to handle it.

While I am always staying focused to the BIN PRICE I stay flexible to negotiate.
Every negotiation is / will always be a new, individual situation.

Last edited:
•••
It really drives me nuts...Here's an example of an exchange....

Me: Hi! I saw your domain for sale listing and would like to make an offer of $XXXX.
Reply: Why are you lowballing me?
Me: Not trying to. I usually overpay. :)
Me: I have recently been offered other similar domains for not much more than $XXXX. That was the basis for offering $XXXX. Not to lowball.
Reply: You better buy those then.

That is ridiculous. Who sells like that?

this post is round a bout expression that reminds me of conversation i had

previously, this dude sent inquiry asking if i would sell some chinesepremium.com 4 L.com and a cvcv.com under $900

so, i look at this dude's numbers, his trader rating and tenure here, including all the threads he has started, asking questions, posting news, giving referrals, etc, etc, as if he knows the game.

so, when i pass on that lowball offer, a few week later after i bumped my thread, this dude asks again if i would take $1.350 for same cvcv com, cuz he can buy others for less or same amount or something to that effect.

kinda felt like he, was trying to run a jedi mind trick, on me.

so, yeah, when dude told me that shiz-zit, of course i said, "you better buy those then"

ridiculous reply?, yeah, cuz i got a ridiculous offer, imo

and just cuz dude came up a couple hundred dollars, dude think i'm supposed to bite, like a hungry mo-fo who ain't ate nothing, like i'm stizzz-zarving for a thousand doll hairs.

who sells like that?

i don't, to lowballers.

imo....

•••
No offense honestly but being this long in domaining You should know that the biggest reason of your price for a domain is indeed not its worth but the buyer Thats why enduser, reseller and all have different prices given by us for a domain. Lets say you have a crap domain and Bill Gates wants to buy it Will you really let it go for 100$? And when you set your domain to Buy Now you also limit it to a price What if the end user is willing to pay more? Its obviously bad to misbehave after getting a lowball offer and its that guy's fault and he should politely reply with what he expects but I still think Make Offer is better than Buy Now Of course Buy Now has its own advantages like you get to sell the domain faster but if an end user is really interested you should let him make the offer Thats my opinion at least

•••
Some people are really proud of their names, it's as usual an ego thing.

•••
I use Make Offer on my Auction pages but I always state minimum offer. Once the offer is made, I counter just to see if the buyer is willing to go higher. If not then the minimum offer that we started with is what I am willing to accept for the domain name. Of course I don't tell the buyer that up front (until now anyway). One pet peeve I have is to start an auction at $1 but your reserve price is $20. Now that is a real waste of time.
The problem with that strategy is that the buyer would be a fool to offer anything higher than your minimum offer. If your minimum is $500 and he offers $500 it's game over for you. The buyer knows that by listing $500 as your minimum that 9 times out of 10 even if you counter higher that you would accept the $500.

He knows that if he sticks to his guns you probably will end up accepting the minimum, and if not he plays the game a while and still buys it cheaper then he would have been willing to spend. Maybe he would have spent $3,000 on the name but if he hovers around the minimum by offering $500 then $650 then $850 and starts saying that's as high as he can go. You then start getting nervous that you're going to lose the sale and end up accepting $2,500 less then he would have spent. I think it's better to put a Buy Now price and discount off that then to put a minimum and try to come up to where you think they would buy.

•••
Different strategies for different sellers. Sometimes, the seller doesn't want to sell badly. Other times, make offer really means best offer.

•••
Just reading this morning....

"Can you share how the negotiations for this domain name went down?

The initial offer was for $1,000. I responded letting them know that if the offer was at the top end of their budget then, unfortunately, it was going to be to low to accept, but that I would be open to discussing should their budget have room to talk higher. Responding in this form helped me to establish whom I was talking with (domainer/end user). They responded letting me know that it was not at the top end and asked what I was looking to get for the domain and that we could further discuss the price. At this point, I countered with $18,000 with a brief justification for the asking price with some previous premium .io sales attached. They countered my response with a solid $10,000 offer. I responded appreciating the firm offer and that my target price for the domain was $15,000 and that we were close to achieving that price and asked if they had any more wiggle room. They responded that they felt their offer was “fair” and were going to hold firm at $10,000. I countered one last time acknowledging their firm offer and reiterating my “target price” of $15,000 and asked if we could split the difference and equally compromise at $12,500. They agreed to $12,000 and I accepted and closed the deal. We finalized the sale through Escrow.com as it was the buyer’s preference."

Source: https://blog.efty.com/2017/05/03/behind-the-sale-concert-io-from-90-purchase-to-12000-sale/

That's how you sell a name.

Last edited:
•••
Make no mistake, this is not a question of what a domain owner CAN do. This is about wasting the time of both the buyer and seller.

Bottom line is that domains put up with make offer, will just sit there mostly.

If a name has make offer, then a seller should expect low offers (leads), and work from there. Sellers want the most for their names and buyers want the best price. Nothing wrong with that.

But if a name might sell for 2k, and someone offers 1k, that gap is NOT so big. Auctions start at $1 and get up there.

When I get an offer close or in the range (like I want 5XXX and get an offer of XXXX), I try to work the lead, and I think long and hard about my investment in the name, the probability of more offers, and the reality of the value of the name.

When I want to sell a name, I sell a name. If I spend my time pump faking, I don't sell names.

dude

how you do, is how you do

how i do, is how i have been doing, long before you came on the scene.
i've made more from ppc, than some of you will ever earn trying to sell names

i ain't down with $1 auctions, that's for your crowd
i'd rather drop a name and let the bidders fight for it on namejet, than try to get $2 from you thru paypal.

there is no bottom line to make offer, except when the offer meets the bottom line of what the owner will sell for.

whether it sits a day or a decade, is the choice of the owner, not yours

if a name has make offer, then the owner should expect that anybody who makes an offer, knows the value.

if the offer is too low, the owner has option to say, "too low" or not respond at all.

a domain owner has no obligation to work an inquiry, if the owner even thinks that inquirer is a lowballer, tire-kicker, phishing prices or has other motive other than offering legitimate amount for that respective domain name or names.

a gap, is a gap and it's up to the owner to decide if they want to purse the gap or walk away from the gap.

as for pump faking, most of actions i see on this court, is just some dribbling of the liz-zips.

when i want to sell, if the offer is right, i will

and when it ain't right, i won't

imo.....

Last edited:
•••
If your minimum is $500 and he offers $500 it's game over for you. The buyer knows that by listing $500 as your minimum that 9 times out of 10 even if you counter higher that you would accept the $500.
Where do you get that from? I have minimum offer set to $500 on most of my domains and my experience is that nearly every prospective buyer who is willing to make a $500 offer is willing to increase their offer above their opening bid of $500. Very few people make a $500 offer without being willing to increase that up to at least $1000, and some have no problem going from $500 to mid $XXXX eventually (again, in my experience with my own portfolio).

The main group who stick to their opening offer is the low ballers with their $20, $50, $100 offers. A complete waste working those leads most of the time. So a minimum offer of $500 (or higher for higher priced names) nicely weeds out most of the low quality leads and time-wasters.

Last edited:
•••
1. Buyer offer is too low ball, seller figures not worth the time to continue.
or
2. Seller does not know how to sell names.

That's all folks...

•••
i have many domains with make offer , when i receive a offer , i send a my price .

•••
Exactly. You would normally counter or set some expectation. Yet, some people run Make Offer auctions, just to get people to offer, then they just turn down everything. Makes no sense.
Makes no sense until the fire sale on namepros with the headline....

$100 bucks for 60 domains.... need the cash!!

Last edited:
•••
Exactly. You would normally counter or set some expectation. Yet, some people run Make Offer auctions, just to get people to offer, then they just turn down everything. Makes no sense.

The only rational thing, I can think of, is that they are using it as an appraisal gauge.

•••
Well, I can see both sides of the coin in make-an-offer. Either, 1: They don't know how to price there domain, or maybe think they will get high offers for more than it's worth. Or, 2: They get crazy amounts of people requesting price who are not interested they are just sellers who own similar domains wanting a price of value so they can try to sell a similar domain they have at right price somewhere. IN my opinion a range is rather nice to do and saves both people lots of time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back