IT.COM

discuss The 3D Showcase and Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone! The 3D market appears to be exploding! Record takes at the box office by movies such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland and the announcement this week of the new 3D TV which is set to hit markets shortly have helped buoy interest in 3D multimedia platforms. Even the major American television network NBC has jumped in and will be broadcasting the NCAA Final Four basketball games in 3D!

A direct beneficiary from this renewed interest and greatly improved 3D technology is the domain business. Some of you had foresight many years ago and reg'd great names early on. Others (myself included) have only become aquainted with 3D domaining more recently, but see the huge potential this market has opened up for domainers.

Let this be the place for you to show off your 3D domain names. Ask for opinions, marketing strategies or even an appraisal or guesstimation of value. Also, feel free to post any relevant news releases/articles related to the 3D industry.

I will start the thread off with a few of my own reg's..

3DHighDefinitionTV.com (also have plural)
3DHomeEntertainment.co.uk
3DHometheaters.org
3DStreamingMovie.com
3DVancouver.com
3DWhistler.com

Saucey. ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks Mellowmasher.

Come on folks, we can discuss our different opinions without being insulting to each other. Glad the thread is reopened. :)

•••
•••
From an outsider to this thread, it seems like everyone is trying to register 3d"anything"."anyextension" just so the next domainer can't. Are you guys/girls flipping any of these? I visited your site 3ddomainnames and couldn't believe the list of fresh reg 3d domain names. How are you doing at selling them? Good I hope. I have a few so I am on board with 3d, but many of these posted in the thread are far fetched (3dSarahPalin dotcomD-:). I guess my biggest question is what your buy/sell ratio is and are you making your investment back? (unless some of you are in it for the hunt only, which is fine also)

Last edited:
•••
There is nothing wrong with dabbling in 3D or any other niche. Even if profits do not materialize.

In domaining it's all about quality, not quantity.
It's 99% quality and 1% chance.

My point is, instead of registering tens of multi-keyword domains in non-.com extensions (aka 'low quality domains') it would be wiser to concentrate on a limited set of upper quality domains. Hint: the best domains are usually found on the aftermarket.

Registering tens/hundreds of domains is fun, renewing them isn't.
If you consider this a learning experience, why not try to limit losses. Better yet, sell before you register another. Domain sales are the best form of appraisal.

•••
^ If anyone in this thread makes a dime on 3d names, you're probably the only one, for the record, given the names you have, although I don't think even that's a slam dunk. At least you have a shot, though, while the rest of these folks are just lighting money ablaze.

... and I'm going to guess that any number of the "better 3d Names" you have were aftermarket buys and not hand registrations?

See, *that's* what the n00bs don't get.
"Good domains" are finite- be it within a particular topical niche, or just domain names in general. There is a limit to 'what's good'. Everything beyond that point is worthless and it's only names that fall in the 'good' category that are resalable.

The beginners modify and contort basic tenets of human comprehension to convince themselves that whatever abstract nonsense they just registered for $7.49 at Godaddy is going to be of great value to someone else, even though really, it never will be.

Last edited:
•••
300, 600? Anyone ever heard of diversification?

Brad

•••
And it seems that you, personally, have a hard time planning on renewals and find that time of year to be hard, but maybe it's YOU that are wrong for not planning properly with such valuable real estate...

Ya can't!!!!

I look forward to your next post

Such ignorance toward experienced and reputable domainer, who just gave you a good idvice, is amazing. :ghost:

Btw, how many $100 offers you got for your domains? If you really think you can easily sell 50 domains for $100 each, you are wrong.
If you are thinking about flipping to other domainers, know that they will look for bargains - $100 per domain from your portfolio is not a bargain, and you would have hard time to make 50 sales even for $20 or $30 each (try to offer couple for sale on forums and u'll see).
If you hope to make 50 'enduers' sales (sedo,afternic,whois...), know that you'll proably have to wait 5 years for that.

- note: above post is intended as friendy advice only.

PS. Friendly advice no.2 for other new members in this thread: DO NOT make your business plans with "I'll-buy-500-new-domains-and-one-big-regfeedomain-sale-will-cover-expenses-of-my-portfolio". scenario. It COULD happen, but chances are low like playing lottery. Would you make business plan with lottery win in mind?

•••
Such ignorance toward experienced and reputable domainer, who just gave you a good idvice, is amazing. :ghost:

Btw, how many $100 offers you got for your domains? If you really think you can easily sell 50 domains for $100 each, you are wrong.
If you are thinking about flipping to other domainers, know that they will look for bargains - $100 per domain from your portfolio is not a bargain, and you would have hard time to make 50 sales even for $20 or $30 each (try to offer couple for sale on forums and u'll see).
If you hope to make 50 'enduers' sales (sedo,afternic,whois...), know that you'll proably have to wait 5 years for that.

- note: above post is intended as friendy advice only.

PS. Friendly advice no.2 for other new members in this thread: DO NOT make your business plans with "I'll-buy-500-new-domains-and-one-big-regfeedomain-sale-will-cover-expenses-of-my-portfolio". scenario. It COULD happen, but chances are low like playing lottery. Would you make business plan with lottery win in mind?

Friendly advise is welcomed - thank you for your input - you can, however, use some help with your verbiage, as using the word "ignorance" is something that could set someone like me off - no need for a slander during kind words - agreed?.. so please choose a little more carefully in the future.

In all honesty, i have received six offers for names over hundred dollars in the past two months - my partner has received four offers for over a hundred dollars in the same span - i have already sold two names at $75 and just recently sold another for $100.. i have also watched .us 3d names and .org 3d names sell for $250 and $450 and up.. so yes, i think that with all your seasoning, you may still be underestimating the power in 3d names and the effect it is going to have in business and on the web.

is $75 and $100 offers going to make me rich? absolutely not... but i still feel comfortable with my position, even with all my names. I have still yet to even TRY to solicit one name to anybody - haven't sought out ONE person for a sale yet, but i still get offers out of the blue.

Considering that all 10 offers thus far have ALL come from other domainers STILL willing to pay $100 and up for a 3d domain name - even without a market - then yes, i think i will have a rather easy go at making my money back and profiting quite nicely when all is said and done.

Selling 50 domains at $100 is just an example... i know i have a few others that will fetch me much more once the market opens and is established.

Again, i appreciate your input, but this is one of those things that guys such as myself (and others on this thread) are going to go with their own gut instincts as opposed to naysayers.

With so much belief on both sides of this argument, someone will be right, and i'm betting my wallet that it's us...

.. seriously though, thanks again... the damage has already done, so wish me luck :)

haha

•••
Thanks

Thanks Brad

Selling these 3D domains has generated a extra $11k since January.

It's all good..will donate some cash to a children's charity :tu:

David

Identified a niche, bought smart before the insane rush to reg anything remotely 3D.

Sold smart, made the $'s.No doubt retained a few goodies. One of the very few I would guess.

A classic lesson for those who want to learn- I doubt that very few will though. :gl:

•••
I sell roughly 8 domains a day not all " 3d domains " ..I mainly seek and purchase short Generic words " .com only "

This 3D niche..I saw had potential and invested on reg fee domains...I've had no issues selling them in the high $xxx to low $x,xxx

Just like Brad said it's all about experience.. quite surprised none of the experienced domainers saw what I saw... easy money.

Today I flipped another 3d domain .com $2,500
will give the domain once the buyer gives me the ok to do so.

I emailed this buyer..and nailed the sale :) I still get a buzz when I sell a domain..

Today donated $1k to gosh.org.....so I do give back :tu:

Good luck all

David

Congrats on all your sales!! And its cool to care, so BIG KUDOS for giving back!

My focus has been on dev. But your sales rate is very impressive. So much so that for the first time in years I actually put a couple domains on the market. Though my method is very passive... which is fine as my thinking is to list'em until I get around to developing them.

If they sell cool, if not -cool, as I know I will likely make more than a few grand from most of the names I reg, over the life of the domain.

•••
Have to agree, very good work there D-K. Very impressive and a nice jesture donating to charity too, we all have something to admire from this.

•••
This one has just completed..has been on going for a few days

Payment has cleared.

.com

3dfirst $1400

----------

3dlatest $1250

Both were purchased at reg fee..buyers contacted via whois

Good luck all

•••
I love these hyped up threads:lol:

•••
Saw gumf on this a while ago and regged 3dsvideo dot com then.

Could be worthy of a few bucks! Everyone on here is quite paranoid of TM infringement, but I don't think that would be considered a prob..

Good Luck!

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

I hand regged a 3d domain for $1.99 at Godaddy then someone contacted me through whois directly and offered me $1500.

I countered with $10K. We settled for $2K but I could have gone more.

It's all about knowing what you're doing... or something

WTG! Nice freakin' sale buddy!

•••
•••
cards to our chest ........you list a name out loud and 20 naysayers jump on you ! as for me no i am not bidding , i have purchased aftermarket at sedo this year for 3d , but not in the auctions as yet

welcome to the forum

•••
My recent pickups. Any feedback appreciated (positive / negative / indifferent).

All .com
3d NetCast
3dpc Cams
3D Computer Cam
3D PrintAds
3D Section
3D Pullout
Live3dCast
Free 3D icons
3D Acting
3Dtv Rooms

•••
3dplasmatv.com is now up and running, although plenty more work is needed on it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The money flushed down the toilet in this thread could have fed countless starving children in Africa.

•••
If Blu-Ray.com is not worried, then I'm not going to worry.

As for 3DGamesPOT.com , whats wrong with a pot of 3D games? :)

This has been discussed numerous times in this thread, but you and some others keep posting same questions again and again.

Gamespot is gaming brand and TM. If owner puts anything about games on 3dgamespot, gamespot could easily get that domain, if they wish.

Blu-ray is famous brand owned by couple of multibilion companies. IF they wish, they can get you in the court for 3dbluray easily.

And thats the whole story.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Also for names like 3dchannel there is a mark for 3d movie channel and about 1600 marks for different variations on the word channel.
For 3d televisions there are 3 live tess records and about 5300 records for variations on the word television.

I also see a trademark on 3dtv!!! Does this mean this is in contention and that anything starting with or ending with 3dtv is a problem?

As far as I remember, some of those TMs were for typed drawings (logo) only.

•••
I regged:

3DAnimated / org

New3DGames / net

* Did anyone else see an ad on TV last night by
"Crest" toothpaste... new product is: "3Dwhite"

•••
Nice site Shane. I threw up a Noomle one page site on 3dtvupgr@de and have a steady stream of visitors with a few clicks. Unfortunately adsense is not showing 3d tv ads yet on my site :td:

Try adding a couple of keywords like ' samsung 3d tv ' 'sony 3d tv '

•••
•••
Looks like the following email from Amazon went out to it's Amazon Associates participants, (I've edited it down a bit)

Dear Amazon Associate:

With the worldwide success of Avatar and other 3D theatrical releases, a lot of customers are excited about the advances in and accessibility of 3D, and the impending launch of 3D cable channels (ESPN 3D, DIRECTV 3D, etc.), 3D video games, and more, is making it the next big thing.

Amazon.com has you covered in terms of keeping your customers informed of the latest and greatest in 3D technology with our launch of 3D 101 ..., a new site dedicated to anything 3D.

Key features of the Amazon 3D 101 ... site include:

* A large selection of 3D products spanning multiple categories (HDTVs, Blu-ray players, monitors, movies, and more).
* Educational videos that help customers easily understand what 3D is and how it works.
* Buying guides aimed at helping customers find everything they need to create the best 3D experience at home.

Build Links & Earn Money

Take advantage of the buzz around 3D! To link directly to the Amazon 3D 101 page and earn advertising fees on subsequent qualifying purchases, copy the link format below replacing "YOUR_ID_HERE-20" with your Associates ID:...

...We have also created new 3D Banners...

Sincerely,

The Amazon Associates Program

For those of you with 3d product domains, you might want to consider signing up (If you are not already an associate I'll be happy to send you a referral :) -- just send me a PM) and then maybe use Associate-O-Matic to create a storefront (again, I'll be happy to send you a referral for the paid version of A-O-M too... :loveyou: )

•••
You either don't understand TM issues or understand them and don't care. You should probably quit regging domains while you learn more.

Taking famous TM and adding 3D is only going to get you in trouble sooner or later. It is only a matter of time.

Brad

Brad- believe me when I say, when you stop banging your head against the wall the pain will stop. :p

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back