Domain Empire

discuss The 3D Showcase and Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone! The 3D market appears to be exploding! Record takes at the box office by movies such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland and the announcement this week of the new 3D TV which is set to hit markets shortly have helped buoy interest in 3D multimedia platforms. Even the major American television network NBC has jumped in and will be broadcasting the NCAA Final Four basketball games in 3D!

A direct beneficiary from this renewed interest and greatly improved 3D technology is the domain business. Some of you had foresight many years ago and reg'd great names early on. Others (myself included) have only become aquainted with 3D domaining more recently, but see the huge potential this market has opened up for domainers.

Let this be the place for you to show off your 3D domain names. Ask for opinions, marketing strategies or even an appraisal or guesstimation of value. Also, feel free to post any relevant news releases/articles related to the 3D industry.

I will start the thread off with a few of my own reg's..

3DHighDefinitionTV.com (also have plural)
3DHomeEntertainment.co.uk
3DHometheaters.org
3DStreamingMovie.com
3DVancouver.com
3DWhistler.com

Saucey. ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is not worth my time. You play with those type of domains, sooner or later you will get burned.

It is probably in the best interest of many of the noobs in this thread to put down the credit card, and take a moment from registering mediocre domains to learn a thing or two from established domainers.

Brad
It's a shame that it is not worth your time as an established domainer to assist with a complex issue like trademarks. Thats why we stay noobs, not many people are prepared to impart their knowledge.

I don't entirely see the logic in your comments. To me a brand is a name applied to a physical product, like coca coala or perhaps a range of products like macdonalds etc. I am not sure where i would buy a gamespot or gamespot products.

Anyway, i'll log this on the legal forum and see what comes up. Nothing wrong with a second opinion.

•••
I have been trying to help.

Most of the noobs in this thread seem resistant to any information or advice from establish members. The members who think they know everything and are not open to learning will fail.

Most of the people here did not just register domains in 1996 then sit on them for years doing nothing. It took time and learning to get where they are. Everyone had to start somewhere.

I run a profitable business based on domain names as do many other members on this forum.

Is Yahoo a brand? Is Facebook a brand? Yes. You don't have the sell physical products to be a brand.

Brad

It's a shame that it is not worth your time as an established domainer to assist with a complex issue like trademarks. Thats why we stay noobs, not many people are prepared to impart their knowledge.

I don't entirely see the logic in your comments. To me a brand is a name applied to a physical product, like coca coala or perhaps a range of products like macdonalds etc. I am not sure where i would buy a gamespot or gamespot products.

Anyway, i'll log this on the legal forum and see what comes up. Nothing wrong with a second opinion.

•••
Last edited:
•••
The money flushed down the toilet in this thread could have fed countless starving children in Africa.

That blanket statement can be said about most of the domains in the appraisal forum and about most things that people spend money on , why pick this thread out ? Did you enjoy an expresso today ????

Dumb Statement

consider asking about tm's at the legal section here at namepros , some tm's are for the style of the words only and some are more complexed , but if you reg 3dgoogle , then you deserve what you get

Last edited:
•••
If Blu-Ray.com is not worried, then I'm not going to worry.

Go see Blu-Ray.com then comment.

As for 3DGamesPOT.com , whats wrong with a pot of 3D games? :)

I asked the TM question originally because it was confusing for me to understand why anybody would use a similar form of a non-generic term as applied to the very class of goods or services for which the trademark was registered. Please see my earlier POST relating to trademark issues.

Over the years I have done my level best to steer clear of TM issues of any kind and have never received as much as a phone call or letter - until my registration last March of the domain name HertzDonut.com. See the screen capture in the attached PDF.

Despite the fact that "hertz" is a generic dictionary word AND that my intention was not to compete with the rental car market in any way AND that the word "hertz", as used, is really a phonetic spelling & sounding-out of a total nonsense word intended to sound like the dictionary word "hurts" for purposes of setting up a pun.... AND despite the fact that "hertz" is the preferred choice of spelling for the published websites that describe this particular decades old, silly prank which includes both Wikipedia and UrbanDictionary, The Hertz Corporation was not comfortable with my registration, and I was so advised in writing.

The lawyer who contacted me was both professional and courteous. No C&D letter was issued. No doubt, this was because my intent (and actual use of the word "hertz") was non-infringing. However, if there is one thing I have no desire for it is a legal battle with a deep pockets, multinational corporation.

Last week I transferred the domain name, HertzDonut.com to Hertz and asked for no compensation. My company record on domain registrations over the years has been a perfect one, and building a reputation within both the domaining industry and business community-at-large as a non-squatting, non-infringing domain investor who seeks to avoid even the appearance of impropriety is of great importance to me. That's because I'm in this for the long haul.

For a little BACKGROUND, this is how it all STARTED!

Attachments

• Hertz Donut.pdf
    96.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
•••
Grrrrr... Tried to reg. 3dpcs.com as a "premium" from Dynadot.. wasn't accepting credit card at the time... Now I check, and the owner has renewed... Woulda been a sweet buy at $395 IMO. Especially since the anouncement of the first 3D PC!!

•••
It is not worth my time.

I do value your wisdom. I am perplexed by Blu-Ray(.)com case. Does the disclaimer on the site make it ok. I think we're trying to find that line and get close to it but not cross it.

•••
If Blu-Ray.com is not worried, then I'm not going to worry.

As for 3DGamesPOT.com , whats wrong with a pot of 3D games? :)

This has been discussed numerous times in this thread, but you and some others keep posting same questions again and again.

Gamespot is gaming brand and TM. If owner puts anything about games on 3dgamespot, gamespot could easily get that domain, if they wish.

Blu-ray is famous brand owned by couple of multibilion companies. IF they wish, they can get you in the court for 3dbluray easily.

And thats the whole story.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Also for names like 3dchannel there is a mark for 3d movie channel and about 1600 marks for different variations on the word channel.
For 3d televisions there are 3 live tess records and about 5300 records for variations on the word television.

I also see a trademark on 3dtv!!! Does this mean this is in contention and that anything starting with or ending with 3dtv is a problem?

As far as I remember, some of those TMs were for typed drawings (logo) only.

•••
Understanding Trademarks (newbies)

What is a TradeMark?
A trademark can be a logo, name, symbol, or device used to differentiate a product or service of one trader (or commercial entity) from that of another-brand identity. Example: McDonalds' golden arches. Trademark protection lasts for 10 years after registration, and is renewable.

Trademarks are areas that fall under intellectual property law because they are all considered intellectual property. In addition to there being attorneys that specialize in the broad intellectual property law area, there are also trademark attorneys,lawyers that specifically deal with patents, trademarks and copyrights.

A trademark includes any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination, used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods. In short, a trademark is a brand name.

Difference between Generic & TradeMark

Generic Words
Toys
DVD
TV
PC
Phones

As you can see from the above list, not all words, names, symbols or devices function as trademarks.

TradeMark Brands
Toys - Toys-R-Us,Fisher Price, Hasbro
DVD - Blu-Ray, Sony
TVs - Sony, Panasonic, etc
PCs - GateWay, Dell, HP,
Phones - At&T, LG, Sprint, Motorola,

From this above list of TradeMark names, these companies have filed a 'specimen' or a 'drawing' to acknowledge goods or services in reference to their brand.

Hope this helps,
David Taylor

•••
Gamespot is gaming brand and TM. If owner puts anything about games on 3dgamespot, gamespot could easily get that domain, if they wish.
Could they get gamespotter .com?

Really plugging 3dgames and movies here in Oz on TV. Had coverage on project natal and controller free games. We were informed that we would have more than 3000 3dmovies available shortly to us here in Oz.....

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I picked up today: 3DFunHouse.com and Mobile3DGaming.com along with 3DDiorama.com.

•••
Can somebody please touch on the .IN industry - not too familiar with it.
Are .IN names worth registering with english terms? (should be, no?)

For example:

3dMobilePhone.in?
or
3dSmartphone.in?

If so, why - if not, why not?
Market should be big enough, no? (guessing)
Hard to sell these?

I would love to know more about it if anyone could shed some light.
Thanks all :)

•••
Can somebody please touch on the .IN industry - not too familiar with it.
Are .IN names worth registering with english terms? (should be, no?)

For example:

3dMobilePhone.in?
or
3dSmartphone.in?

If so, why - if not, why not?
Market should be big enough, no? (guessing)
Hard to sell these?

I would love to know more about it if anyone could shed some light.
Thanks all :)

Talk to Samit.. he is a Mod.. and an expert in IN names.
There is also a .in forum in the cctld section... I suggest you start there..

•••
just registered inch3d.com

•••
•••
•••
I regged:

3DAnimated / org

New3DGames / net

* Did anyone else see an ad on TV last night by
"Crest" toothpaste... new product is: "3Dwhite"

•••
•••
•••
myspace3dlayouts dot com a bit long but meanigful i guess

Anybody getting clicks? Starting to get a couple now after a couple of weeks on sedo.

2 clicks
3dhalo dot com

1 click
3dblogspot dot com
3dbusinessopportunities dot com
3dnudeteen dot com (sorry ladies)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back