Dynadot

discuss The Potential Of #AudioInternet domain names

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I am investigating the potential of providing a Cyber Security service for #AudioWebsites, #AudioSearchEngines, #AudioSocialNetworks and #AudioEmailServers for an #AudioInternet to be accessed while driving. From what I understand, the average person spends between 5-10% of their hours awake in cars and so there is a potential $10-$50 billion/year in advertising revenue that can be generated for an #AudioInternet for car drivers. The traditional visual component of the internet creates a safety issue for accessing the internet and so audio protocols and languages can be developed for accessing the internet while driving that the eliminates these risks.

As we have decades of hindsight of security issues with the visual internet, protocols can be developed for an audio internet to make it a lot more safe and secure than visual internet. This can assist in maximising the profitability of the audio internet. My interest in this technology is assisting in the cyber security protocols that can advance the technology. My interest is in a true decentralised audio internet and not some fake AI system that harvests information from visual websites and calculates that information into audio data.

It is due to my interest in protecting a decentralised audio internet community that I have made the decision to start this discussion with the Namepros community. I believe that working through the domain name system is the best way to protect the decentralised nature of an audio internet. I expect that an early birthing stage for this internet would be to go grassroots and back to using a Yahoo-like directory system. I don't know if it would be practical to build around a separate domain name extension or whether building around a standard sub-domain would be better.

As far as I see, the core market for an audio internet would be drivers:
  • Heavy commuters (More than 1 hour/day) in cars
  • Ride Share Drivers and Taxi Drivers
  • Freight Drivers
  • People who hate screens
  • People with Visual Disabilities
This idea is very green at the moment. I just came up with it in the last week. This idea was inspired by my 8 year interest in cyber security systems. I am very interested in working on this project as I am passionate about seeing ways to use the interest that prevent eye damage. After using the internet for more than 2 decades for most of the hours of my career, I can see the huge damage that the internet has done to my eyes. As a dad, I am very concerned about my children dealing with blindness risks associated with the internet.

I believe that an #AudioInternetSystem would create a new market for domain names associated with the audio internet. I don't know how big that market would be or what the right names would be. I anticipate that it would take a while to get the infrastructure in place for the Audio Internet to take off. There would be a learning process in navigating the internet without screens but I think if you are spending hours a day driving, you have the incentives to learn that skill. I am very excited about being part of this project. I invite you to be part of this discussion. I am trying to learn more about this space. Thank you for considering being part of this discussion

https://movotiv.com/statistics - This link shows that there are over 1 billion vehicles driving on the road every day. A good reason to build an audio internet to service this market.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am kind of confused with the audio internet concept.

Can you give a practical example of how you see this working?

Let's say I am just Joe Blow that commutes an hour to work and back each day?

Or how about a commercial truck driver?

If this is interactive, my first thought is it seems like something else to distract drivers.

I do agree on vision issues, especially when you are in front of a screen for many hours a day. However, I can't imagine an audio internet being practical to do like 90% of the things you can do normally.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
If you look at the old TV series KnightRider, you have chatbot-like system where Michael (The Driver) speaks to KITT (The car) and they have this relationship where KITT sources information for Michael much like a Chatbot. In our homes, many people are using digital assistants like Alexa and Siri in a similar. I am assuming that Car Companies and AI companies are dreaming of ways to create a chatbot like KITT for our cars. We use audio commands for our traffic navigation systems and so there is already interactive systems for our cars that are being used.

My discussion is to raise awareness that these chatbot like systems are built on centralised business models and I am an advocate of a decentralised model. When you are driving, it would be useful if you can listen to your emails and respond to your emails on the way to work. If you are working and driving a lot, it would be useful to be able to do your shopping while you are in the car instead of when you are spending time with your family. I expect that companies are already looking into this from a centralised framework. I am suggesting that operating from a decentralised framework allows for greater degrees of fairness in trade so that you the driver are not being ripped off by a centralised system that overcharges you.

At this point in time, I don't know how to build an audio website. However, I do know that in the constraints of logic, it is possible. When we have radios, in our cars, we don't have a visual screen but we are legally allowed to have a small range of buttons and control knobs that can be pressed and turned. In addition to the potential of an audio command system, it would stand to reason that a similar level of controls that you use for a radio system would be used for an internet system. In many ways audio internet is an upgrade of the radio system that currently exists.

The main case I am presenting here is that I am suggesting that the domain name system would protect a decentralised format for interacting with the internet against an alternative centralised chatbot system. I believe that the domain name system would be safer than putting all your faith in one chatbot organisation. If people don't work together to build a decentralised alternative to the chatbot systems that would monopolise the attention of the driver (like KITT in Knightrider), the scope for innovation and competition are compromised.

I believe that Visual Internet is easier to navigate than Audio Internet. However, if you are driving for hours every day and you have the choice of Audio Internet or no internet than there is a good chance you would learn the necessary skills to utilise your time while you are driving more efficiently.

•••
The personal mobility car industry is transitioning to a 'shared mobility' future where self-driven ride-sharing vehicles will take over the roads.

In this world the car's cabin actually promotes distractions from the road.

As there will no longer be a 'wheel' for a human to steer into 'accidents' the cabin becomes a sleeping car / dining car / game room / office, or home theater in-the-round (where all 'windows' may become screens).

The 'Next Gen' tech (that is rolling out now) will be able to target specific audio-video 'datacasts' to each vehicle, and/or to individual seats.

Riders will also be able to mix audio-video feeds to say watch a game on TV and play a radio, web playlist, or a private datacast, audio feed.

While the 'distracted driver with poor eyesight' argument goes offroad, the value of a hands-free audio interface will continue to increase for the foreseeable future, IMO.

BTW, I agree about domainers 'platforming' the DNS... be it for chat-bots or, as I suggested several times, to monetize domain 'name fencing' ads.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back