Domain Empire

discuss The 3D Showcase and Discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone! The 3D market appears to be exploding! Record takes at the box office by movies such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland and the announcement this week of the new 3D TV which is set to hit markets shortly have helped buoy interest in 3D multimedia platforms. Even the major American television network NBC has jumped in and will be broadcasting the NCAA Final Four basketball games in 3D!

A direct beneficiary from this renewed interest and greatly improved 3D technology is the domain business. Some of you had foresight many years ago and reg'd great names early on. Others (myself included) have only become aquainted with 3D domaining more recently, but see the huge potential this market has opened up for domainers.

Let this be the place for you to show off your 3D domain names. Ask for opinions, marketing strategies or even an appraisal or guesstimation of value. Also, feel free to post any relevant news releases/articles related to the 3D industry.

I will start the thread off with a few of my own reg's..

3DHighDefinitionTV.com (also have plural)
3DHomeEntertainment.co.uk
3DHometheaters.org
3DStreamingMovie.com
3DVancouver.com
3DWhistler.com

Saucey. ;)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would watch the obvious potential TM issues on this one.

Brad

I reckon this one has potential. Just regged:-

3dgamespot dot com

Old name first regged 2002 with website. 36 entries in wb

•••
My recent pickups. Any feedback appreciated (positive / negative / indifferent).

All .com
3d NetCast
3dpc Cams
3D Computer Cam
3D PrintAds
3D Section
3D Pullout
Live3dCast
Free 3D icons
3D Acting
3Dtv Rooms

3dnetcast is pretty good.
3dprintads aint bad either.
But I like Free3Dicons the best.

•••
Is anyone registering 3D .tv domains?

•••
I would watch the obvious potential TM issues on this one.

Brad
Thanks for the info Brad. Never even thought of checking for trademark issues with such a broad meaning name, especially as it was first registered 8 years ago with a website since registration. Gamespot means nothing to me in Australia...is it a USA thing?

I've answered my own question. No, it's not a USA thing, gamespot com redirects to au.gamespot.com (ditto gamespot.com.au) so must be an aussie site. Hopefully will be safe with a usa reg. Not sure how trademarks work from this end (Australia).

Last edited:
•••
•••
GameSpot.com is one of the most popular video games sites. They have been around for many years and are one of the most popular traffic sites online (Alexa Traffic 238). The traffic rank is 141 in Australia and 176 in United States.

Brad

Thanks for the info Brad. Never even thought of checking for trademark issues with such a broad meaning name, especially as it was first registered 8 years ago with a website since registration. Gamespot means nothing to me in Australia...is it a USA thing?

I've answered my own question. No, it's not a USA thing, gamespot com redirects to au.gamespot.com (ditto gamespot.com.au) so must be an aussie site. Hopefully will be safe with a usa reg. Not sure how trademarks work from this end (Australia).

•••
•••

Gamespot.com is very popular gaming site and clear TM. It redirects you to .com.au because your IP is coming from there. There is no way you can develop (or sell) this site without gaming content, and that would be TM violation.

Edit - I see you already have gaming links on that site (parked page). Once it gets indexed/archived/cached they will have clear UDRP against you. I would advise to drop this domain or puting a blank page and wait for them to contact you (not recomended, will gain you bad karma/reputation, and low $$$ is not worth the hassle. If gamespot will ever wont that domain, I doubt they will offer you more then UDRP fees.)

Last edited:
•••
I still see some nice domains "surfacing" once in a while :)

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
3dplasmatv.com is now up and running, although plenty more work is needed on it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
3d.com.vc
3d.net.vc
3d.org.vc

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

3DBluRay.TV

So is "Blu-Ray" a TM or not?

BLU-RAY DISC
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Optical and magneto-optical disc players and recorders for audio, video and computer data; blank optical and magneto-optical discs, pre-recorded optical and magneto-optical discs featuring music, text data, still images and motion pictures; televisions; video cameras; digital still cameras; computers; digital satellite broadcasting systems, namely receivers, transmitters and antennas for satellite broadcasting; video game machines for use with televisions
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 76421367
Filing Date June 12, 2002
Current Filing Basis 44E
Original Filing Basis 1B;44D
Published for Opposition August 17, 2004
Registration Number 2901104
Registration Date November 9, 2004
Owner (REGISTRANT) SONY KABUSHIKI KAISHA CORPORATION JAPAN 7-35, Kitashinagawa 6-chome Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo JAPAN

•••
There are also another 2 TM for "BLU-RAY 3D"

Word Mark BLU-RAY 3D
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Optical and magneto-optical disc players and recorders for audio, video and computer data; blank optical and magneto-optical discs; pre-recorded optical and magneto-optical discs featuring music, text data, still images and motion pictures; video cameras; computers; video game machines for use with televisions; optical disc drives for computers, television sets, eyeglasses, electric cables, component video cables

Brad

3d.com.vc
3d.net.vc
3d.org.vc

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

So is "Blu-Ray" a TM or not?

BLU-RAY DISC
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Optical and magneto-optical disc players and recorders for audio, video and computer data; blank optical and magneto-optical discs, pre-recorded optical and magneto-optical discs featuring music, text data, still images and motion pictures; televisions; video cameras; digital still cameras; computers; digital satellite broadcasting systems, namely receivers, transmitters and antennas for satellite broadcasting; video game machines for use with televisions
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 76421367
Filing Date June 12, 2002
Current Filing Basis 44E
Original Filing Basis 1B;44D
Published for Opposition August 17, 2004
Registration Number 2901104
Registration Date November 9, 2004
Owner (REGISTRANT) SONY KABUSHIKI KAISHA CORPORATION JAPAN 7-35, Kitashinagawa 6-chome Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo JAPAN

•••
There are also another 2 TM for "BLU-RAY 3D"

Word Mark BLU-RAY 3D
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Optical and magneto-optical disc players and recorders for audio, video and computer data; blank optical and magneto-optical discs; pre-recorded optical and magneto-optical discs featuring music, text data, still images and motion pictures; video cameras; computers; video game machines for use with televisions; optical disc drives for computers, television sets, eyeglasses, electric cables, component video cables

Brad
Now this is what i don't understand. If blu-ray is trademarked, is bluray (without the hyphen) trademarked as it shows no current tess records for it.

Also for names like 3dchannel there is a mark for 3d movie channel and about 1600 marks for different variations on the word channel.
For 3d televisions there are 3 live tess records and about 5300 records for variations on the word television.

I notice now that my 3dgamespot was redirected to ideanurse dot com from 2002. How close to the actual name can you go before it is in contention. Like with gamespot i notice that the tarr for gamespottv is dead so does that mean it is ok to use?

I also see a trademark on 3dtv!!! Does this mean this is in contention and that anything starting with or ending with 3dtv is a problem?

Last edited:
•••
The money flushed down the toilet in this thread could have fed countless starving children in Africa.

•••
TM issues are not always black & white. Many times it is a gray area open to interpretation.

There are also common law TM's that can be established as well.

A term like "3D TV" can be described as generic.

Terms like "Blu-Ray" or "GameSpot" are made up terms that represent a brand or product. Those are where you are going to have the major issues.

If you own a domain like Apple.org and sell Apples you are fine as that is a descriptive use. If you use it in a confusingly similar way like selling iPods you could run into issues.

Brad

Now this is what i don't understand. If blu-ray is trademarked, is bluray (without the hyphen) trademarked as it shows no current tess records for it.

Also for names like 3dchannel there is a mark for 3d movie channel and about 1600 marks for different variations on the word channel.
For 3d televisions there are 3 live tess records and about 5300 records for variations on the word television.

I notice now that my 3dgamespot was redirected to ideanurse dot com from 2002. How close to the actual name can you go before it is in contention. Like with gamespot i notice that the tarr for gamespottv is dead so does that mean it is ok to use?

I also see a trademark on 3dtv!!! Does this mean this is in contention and that anything starting with or ending with 3dtv is a problem?

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

the money flushed down the toilet in this thread could have fed countless starving children in africa.

LOL.

•••
The money flushed down the toilet in this thread could have fed countless starving children in Africa.

And if every millionaire gave to the poor, we could eradicate poverty.

Get a (3d) life.

•••
•••
Terms "GameSpot" are made up terms that represent a brand or product. Those are where you are going to have the major issues.
But gamespot is not a brand or a product is it? Isn't it a place or spot where people go to play games, whether online or an actual physical place like a snooker room, tennis court etc? I don't play online games but i do have a mobile slot car track which i do childrens parties with and to me this is a spot where i cater for childrens games and was going to use the name to promote our little games business. To me gamespot is a very generic term.

•••
GameSpot is a major brand. It is one of the most popular video game sites online.

They have been online for years and have an Alexa traffic ranking around 200 globally which includes high rankings in almost every major country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameSpot

You can deal in terms like that at your own peril.

Brad

But gamespot is not a brand or a product is it? Isn't it a place or spot where people go to play games, whether online or an actual physical place like a snooker room, tennis court etc? I don't play online games but i do have a mobile slot car track which i do childrens parties with and to me this is a spot where i cater for childrens games and was going to use the name to promote our little games business. To me gamespot is a very generic term.

•••
BLU-RAY.com

TM issues are not always black & white. Many times it is a gray area open to interpretation.

If Blu-Ray.com is not worried, then I'm not going to worry.

Go see Blu-Ray.com then comment.

As for 3DGamesPOT.com , whats wrong with a pot of 3D games? :)

•••
It is not worth my time. You play with those type of domains, sooner or later you will get burned.

It is probably in the best interest of many of the noobs in this thread to put down the credit card, and take a moment from registering mediocre domains to learn a thing or two from established members.

Brad

If Blu-Ray.com is not worried, then I'm not going to worry.

Go see Blu-Ray.com then comment.

As for 3DGamesPOT.com , whats wrong with a pot of 3D games? :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back