IT.COM

discuss Epik vs. Epic and Happy New Year!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epik

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=domainer

Just like "domainer" isn't a real word, either is epikO_o However, they both are found in the Urban Dictionary and Wiktionary, thus they're not made up words imho.

Like I have with other key words, I've just started accumulating a portfolio titled; EpikNames.com like; EpikTravel.com, EpikVegas.com and EpikJobs.com

Rob Monster the CEO of Epik.com was the first industry leader I met when I accidentally found the domain industry and the secondary market that Verisign says is "hidden in plain sight".

It's been said, if you want a new idea read an old book, and you may want to think of me as the old book:xf.wink: I found this industry too late to be involved in "one word" domains, but two word domains have become my skill set that I've been told I'm pretty good at, and hopefully getting better.

Now getting back to Epik vs. Epic. As a business person, would you rather own the domain EpicTravel at 20K or EpikTravel at 2K? In my mind it's a No Brainer:xf.rolleyes:, but not so fast old time "domainers" might say? To put things in perspective, I just bought the domain EpikTravel.com from Epik.com for $8 and GD Values it at $1,343 while it Values EpicTravel at $6,455. And while those valuations sound way out of bounds, NameWorth values EpicTravel.com at $9,450 and EpikTravel.com at <less than $500. Furthermore, NameWorth values Epik.com at $64,000 and Epic.com at 10M, that's right ten million dollars:xf.rolleyes:

Finally, and maybe it's just me, but I like "Epik" better than "Epic"....maybe it's that EpikWeed:xf.confused: I've been smoking. What say you?....Happy New Year(y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the only thing I disagree with is "not registering a bunch"
Can I try to a little harder to persuade you that overall you might optimize your results by not going quite so overboard in related names?

I understand that in your analogy to real estate that if you are sure there is a demand eventually, and the price is good, property will get used. Now I know you have dreams of that extending to domain names, but until someone achieves it consistently we should not view that as a proven fact. I know you are critical of how things are done in domaining, but until someone over an extended time period shows me that a sell-through rate of more than 4% can be achieved, I think we are wise to assume at most that.

This means that most domain names will never sell :xf.frown:. Really if you exclude the people with those positive common dictionary words and 2/3L .com and a few others, most names are not guaranteed to sell. Ever. :xf.frown::xf.frown:

Why is that? It's not because the industry is evil or lazy or stupid. It is simply that this is an inexact science. Yes, you can look at statistics and trends and read a bunch from naming experts, and follow sales, etc. Doing those things increase your chances of being right, but it is not like land just on outskirts of a city. It is more like original works of art. It is hard to predict what modern art will sell and what will not.

But a few domains will sell and the trick is to sell enough at a high enough price to make up for those that don't sell. Now you might say, so I will register a lot and a few will sell. But really, I think it is better to force yourself to be really particular. Yes, start looking at say 50 available Epik names, for each one look at comparator sales, business prospects, visual and audio aesthetics, etc. If you allow yourself say only 5, they will be the best 5. You will edge quality up by only picking the best 5 combinations, the ones most likely to sell.

Yes, some of the ones you did not choose might have sold, but your overall portfolio will have a higher sell-through rate. There is one other important advantage, the smaller the portfolio, and the higher its quality, you will have the time to really concentrate on the best names.

I doubt I have convinced you, but I stand by what I said.:xf.wink:

Take care,

Bob

Last edited:
•••
But as a data guy, I'm just surprised to see that you're more swayed by personal opinion than by what the numbers are telling us.
You did read what the kraft sales data I provided in the same post is really saying, did you? If I was combining it with a German term and aiming at that market, reasonable numbers although not great. If combining with an English word, the sales data on Kraft is not that great.

Speaking of data, I dug into kraft a bit deeper. There are only 8 .com sales in NameBio that had a sales price of $2000 or more (the highest value one is less than $6000). Of these, 2 sites resolve, 2 are for sale again, and 4 are unreachable. That to me is not a data slam dunk for kraft as a multi-word name.
Chance of sale and a company's perception of brand are certainly related. My own perception of a company's perception of brand? It has absolutely no bearing.
Of course it is not my perception. It is public perception. Try it. Ask 10 of your friends not in domaining what they think of when you say kraft. I would be very surprised of most do not say kraft foods. It is probably different outside North America, certainly different in Germany.

Bob

•••
Can I try to a little harder to persuade you that overall you might optimize your results by not going quite so overboard in related names?

I understand that in your analogy to real estate that if you are sure there is a demand eventually, and the price is good, property will get used. Now I know you have dreams of that extending to domain names, but until someone achieves it consistently we should not view that as a proven fact. I know you are critical of how things are done in domaining, but until someone over an extended time period shows me that a sell-through rate of more than 4% can be achieved, I think we are wise to assume at most that.

This means that most domain names will never sell :xf.frown:. Really if you exclude the people with those positive common dictionary words and 2/3L and a few others, most names are not guaranteed to sell. Ever. :xf.frown::xf.frown:

Why is that? It's not because the industry is evil or lazy or stupid. It is simply that this is an inexact science. Yes, you can look at statistics and trends and read a bunch from naming experts, and follow sales, etc. Doing those things increase your chances of being right, but it is not like land just on outskirts of a city. It is more like original works of art. It is hard to predict what modern art will sell and what will not.

But a few domains will sell and the trick is to sell enough at a high enough price to make up for those that don't sell. Now you might say, so I will register a lot and a few will sell. But really, I think it is better to force yourself to be really particular. Yes, start with say 50 available Epik names but each one look at comparator sales, business prospects, visual and audio aesthetics, etc. If you allow only say 5, they will be the best 5.

Yes, some of the ones you did not choose might have sold, but your overall portfolio will have a higher sell-through rate. There is one other important advantage, the smaller the portfolio, and the higher its quality, you will have the time to really concentrate on the best names.

Take care,

Bob

Thanks Bob.....you might say i can't help myself, and maybe that's a bad thing, but maybe not? Have you ever seen any of these game shows where the prize is a 5 minute shopping spree in a grocery store where you can keep everything you can put in your basket(s) in five minutes? Well, a smart shopper should probably go for the lobster, the caviar and the filet mignon right? Sure I spent $264 on 32 domains that I consider niche domains, but they're just sitting there on the shelf waiting for someone to pick them up. Granted, if I didn't have knowledge of industry, business, names/domains, or I lacked common sense, I wouldn't care to go on a domain shopping spree. However, to have picked up the domains I did for what I paid and what I know, it feels like a FREE SHOPPING SPREE to me. Does that make sense?

•••
Just to expand the data a bit, I took epik plus all the more popular words suggested by @Joe Nichols and looked in NameBio for last two years only, since I wanted current use/branding interest. Now lite is difficult because it appears in many parts of a word where clearly it is not meant as lite at all, so I combined all suffix plus all prefix to get the figures for that. There are probably a few outliers. Here is what I found.
  • epik 0, -
  • kraft 8, $1273
  • brite 9, $457
  • luv 25, $611 (there are probably a few in this not really luv)
  • lite 23, $403
So is Joe right? It would appear so. At least those terms sell better than epik. But most of the prices are fairly modest, especially in the popular terms.

But how do these compare to say a real word? I did only a few of these, and only using suffix + prefix lists at NameBio to exclude most chance occurrences. Again just .com and just last 2 years.
  • epic 40, $745
  • bright 65, $886
  • love 143, $1233
I seem to recall some wise people told us this early in the thread :xf.wink:. We should have listened to those people.

But maybe it is just that there are so few for sale, and really the sell-through rates on the phonetic spelling are not that bad. So for brite I looked at that -- 1388 domain names for sale including that anywhere (Dofo data). Then I did same for bright - 8208 for sale. So about 5.9x as many for sale and about 7.2 times as many sold, so only a slight sell-through rate advantage to bright, although average price also better, so the investment advantage is a bit, but not huge. I see a near draw.

The overall annual sell-through rate on brite (although not just in .com) appears to be 0.3%. Epik can't be calculated for this two year period, or I guess is calculated at 0. I did not do the others.

Bob

Last edited:
•••

This means that most domain names will never sell :xf.frown:. Really if you exclude the people with those positive common dictionary words and 2/3L .com and a few others, most names are not guaranteed to sell. Ever. :xf.frown::xf.frown:

But a few domains will sell and the trick is to sell enough at a high enough price to make up for those that don't sell. Now you might say, so I will register a lot and a few will sell. But really, I think it is better to force yourself to be really particular. Yes, start looking at say 50 available Epik names, for each one look at comparator sales, business prospects, visual and audio aesthetics, etc. If you allow yourself say only 5, they will be the best 5. You will edge quality up by only picking the best 5 combinations, the ones most likely to sell.

Take care,

Bob
Just one more thing Bob. I know you've heard that in sales, you're more apt to be successful if what you're selling you believe in...right? Before I even thought in terms of Epik, I'd bought the domain EpicTrump.com back in May 05/16/2019 to be exact. I didn't vote for Trump, but I am a former Never Trumper whose neither a Democrat or a Republican. So between my neighbors sleek Ocean Epic Kayak (with a "K" btw) and Rob Monsters Epik.com I'm beginning to see why I'm so involved. Actually if you had said to me that Epic had another spelling and it was Epik, I would have believed you. I actually have plans to monetize my EpicTrump.com domain and another domain I own LibsForTrump.com if only I had a developer:xf.frown: I'm very close with the owner of a hat and tee shirt company who I have done business with in the past, but sharing any more I know is off topic...sorry. Thanks again Bob

•••
you're more apt to be successful if what you're selling you believe in...right?
I do agree with that.

But I also still believe that Less is More in domains. If we set limits - I will only invest x amount total in domains, or I will only reinvest what I make, or I will spend only z each month, it forces us to make really good choices. And that, ultimately, leads to better quality and more success.

I wish you well, and we all of course are responsible our own decisions, but I have found setting limits on my acquisitions helpful. Of course I am a 6 year old in many ways :xf.grin:

Someone needs to come up with a gamification app to give rewards for not going overboard on acquisitions!

@Joe Nichols is right that as much as I like data I am swayed by what I perceive to be aesthetics, public acceptance and other factors even when I don't have hard data. I still like the look of epik, and how it goes with certain types of action words, but hard to find data to support it. And I still feel negative on both kraft and luv from Joe's list, for different reasons.

Anyway this long discussion has kept me away from being tempted to break my acquisition fast, and that is, perhaps, good (32 days no acquisitions).

Have a good day everyone,

Bob

Last edited:
•••
I do agree with that.

But I also still believe that Less is More in domains. If we set limits - I will only invest x amount total in domains, or I will only reinvest what I make, or I will spend only z each month, it forces us to make really good choices. And that, ultimately, leads to better quality and more success.

I wish you well, and we all of course are responsible our own decisions, but I have found setting limits on my acquisitions helpful. Of course I am a 6 year old in many ways :xf.grin:

Someone needs to come up with a gamification app to give rewards for not going overboard on acquisitions!

@Joe Nichols is right that as much as I like data I am swayed by what I perceive to be aesthetics, public acceptance and other factors even when I don't have hard data. I still like the look of epik, and how it goes with certain types of action words, but hard to find data to support it. And I still feel negative on both kraft and luv from Joe's list, for different reasons.

Anyway this long discussion has kept me away from being tempted to break my acquisition fast, and that is, perhaps, good (32 days no acquisitions).

Have a good day everyone,

Bob
(32 days no acquisitions)....Holy Crap...you should be all skin and bones by now. Can I send you a care package?

•••
You did read what the kraft sales data I provided in the same post is really saying, did you? If I was combining it with a German term and aiming at that market, reasonable numbers although not great. If combining with an English word, the sales data on Kraft is not that great.

Speaking of data, I dug into kraft a bit deeper. There are only 8 .com sales in NameBio that had a sales price of $2000 or more (the highest value one is less than $6000). Of these, 2 sites resolve, 2 are for sale again, and 4 are unreachable. That to me is not a data slam dunk for kraft as a multi-word name.
I did read that post, yes, and appreciate the research. I agree that Kraft is by no means an ideal keyword choice for an English domain. I just think I would be more likely to own a name with Kraft than with Epik, in part because of my own biases, and in part because there is some mild statistical support for the word as a part of domain names. However, I would only focus on really nice pairings (I, like you, also believe in being selective).

Some Kraft names I would enjoy owning: BrewKraft, KraftWork(s), KraftKing (I'm a sucker for alliteration).

Of course it is not my perception. It is public perception. Try it. Ask 10 of your friends not in domaining what they think of when you say kraft. I would be very surprised of most do not say kraft foods. It is probably different outside North America, certainly different in Germany.
Agreed, but that does not mean that the average business owner would shy away from a Kraft name due to that likelihood. I would need more evidence to support that concern.

•••
Just to expand the data a bit, I took epik plus all the more popular words suggested by @Joe Nichols and looked in NameBio for last two years only, since I wanted current use/branding interest. Now lite is difficult because it appears in many parts of a word where clearly it is not meant as lite at all, so I combined all suffix plus all prefix to get the figures for that. There are probably a few outliers. Here is what I found.
  • epik 0, -
  • kraft 8, $1273
  • brite 9, $457
  • luv 25, $611 (there are probably a few in this not really luv)
  • lite 23, $403
So is Joe right? It would appear so. At least those terms sell better than epik. But most of the prices are fairly modest, especially in the popular terms.

But how do these compare to say a real word? I did only a few of these, and only using suffix + prefix lists at NameBio to exclude most chance occurrences. Again just .com and just last 2 years.
  • epic 40, $745
  • bright 65, $886
  • love 143, $1233
I seem to recall some wise people told us this early in the thread :xf.wink:. We should have listened to those people.

But maybe it is just that there are so few for sale, and really the sell-through rates on the phonetic spelling are not that bad. So for brite I looked at that -- 1388 domain names for sale including that anywhere (Dofo data). Then I did same for bright - 8208 for sale. So about 5.9x as many for sale and about 7.2 times as many sold, so only a slight sell-through rate advantage to bright, although average price also better, so the investment advantage is a bit, but not huge. I see a near draw.

The overall annual sell-through rate on brite (although not just in .com) appears to be 0.3%. Epik can't be calculated for this two year period, or I guess is calculated at 0. I did not do the others.

Bob
Thanks for digging out those numbers, Bob. In the end, I think what the data tells us is what most of us suspected: In general, two word names with properly spelled words are a better investment.

•••
Thanks for digging out those numbers, Bob. In the end, I think what the data tells us is what most of us suspected: In general, two word names with properly spelled words are a better investment.
There really isn't enough data to support that until you check with Epikiq.com or maybe EpikTrust. Those folks will have all the answers in a few years, or you might check with an Epikid:xf.wink:

•••
There really isn't enough data to support that until you check with Epikiq.com or maybe EpikTrust. Those folks will have all the answers in a few years, or you might check with an Epikid:xf.wink:
That's exactly what the data supports. If your intuition tells you otherwise, that's fine, but it's hard to ignore that many more sales of Epic vs. Epik.

•••
That's exactly what the data supports. If your intuition tells you otherwise, that's fine, but it's hard to ignore that many more sales of Epic vs. Epik.
Intuition tells me #39 and #40 EpikLink.com and EpikCapital.com are winners. It's funny, intuition combined with knowledge is a powerful thing. Thanks for your help.

•••
Intuition tells me #39 and #40 EpikLink.com and EpikCapital.com are winners. It's funny, intuition combined with knowledge is a powerful thing. Thanks for your help.
Only if you're willing to combine them. ;)

For sure! Good luck with the names.

•••
Epic will always be the record company in my understanding.
This great SADE song was actually a demo recording.
sade.jpg

Last edited:
•••
•••
The problem is that most of the damaging and hateful things he's said has unfortunately been deleted. For about 2 years now he's been rude to not just myself and a handful of other specific members, but also to the NP and domaining community as a whole. I have no idea why he even attacked me. When he first started out in his first week at NamePros he reached out to me and I took a significant amount of my personal time to message him privately to offer help/advice. Then sometime in the year after that he launched into me accusing me of being part of some conspiracy group stalking him!? (I still don't know where that came from as especially until then all my posts had been very factual, data/logic based and clinical as most of my post typically are).

I have actually previously asked NamePros to NOT delete his slanderous, antagonistic and obnoxiously rude posts so that specifically his true nature would not be hidden to others. But for some reason NamePros continues to delete his stuff, ban him, and then allow him to return? So you need to keep in mind he's has countless posts where he's been extremely rude and slanderous to fellow members of this community that you haven't seen because they have been deleted or exist only as private messages.

In November he started a couple of private messages and included dozens industry and NamePros leaders in those private group messages in an attempt to slander me and literally call me "one of the biggest A holes I've run across in my life" (which is ironically actually a compliment coming from him .. lol). The irony is that if you go back to all my posts that crossed his, I've always used logic, math, facts and data to make my arguments .. it was never anything close to being personal for me, like with everyone else at NamePros, I was simply offering my opinions and advice (heavily supported by logic/facts/data) .. then instead of admitting his concepts have been logically disproven, or even simply try to defend his ideas by using logic/data/facts of his own .. he then chooses to throw insults and false accusations at me and others in the community and then even go so far as to say he doesn't even read my posts (yet somehow also claims I'm wrong and am being slanderous .. lol .. ironically actually making him the only one actually being slanderous)

So while it might feel that @ThatNameGuy frustrates me for very superficial and benign reasons, and his nonsense, false accusations, rude behaviour and general shenanigans generally do more and more (particularly since his group private message attacks in November).. but what really bothers me is his constantly posting his fantasy business concepts in ways that gives the impression it's domaining .. and then reinforcing his supposed authority by constantly reminding the community that he has named dozens of businesses 40 years ago (wrongfully thinking that coming up with usable business names automatically makes your concepts good domaining strategy .. which to be clear is NOT the case)

Then not only does he post things that should not be in "domain/domaining" related forums, and not only does he continue to insult people .. but then he repeatedly uses these discussions to "subtly" promotes his domains and even worse .. to look for suckers partners to either invest time or money into helping him develop his concepts. In effect what he does is grab dozens or even hundreds of otherwise worthless hand-registrations, presents a grandiose fantasy business concept where he paint a portrait of making tons of money, then leaves bait indirectly fishing for investors, or even worse, developers who he tries to get to essentially do all the actual work.

That is the specific reason why I continuously stand against his non-domainer concepts (or in this case bad domainer concepts) in an attempt to defend this community and particularly newcomers from his dangerous and misrepresentative ideas. Ironically if he simply presented then honestly as theoretical and fantasy business concepts IN AN APPROPRIATE VENUE, then I'd actually have zero issues with his posts (whether or not they are good or bad business concepts). If his intentions were clear and presented appropriately in a proper venue then I'd likely still think most of them were bad business ideas, but it wouldn't bother me because it wouldn't be dangerously misleading to newcomers in the DOMAINING industry when reading his usual nonsense in DOMAIN related forums!

While I'll be the first to state (because I like facts to be clear), that in this particular thread, @ThatNameGuy thankfully seems to be focused on the specific "Epik" domain names, but as stated multiple times, my biggest issue with him is that his posts are not about domain names .. they are about fantasy business development concepts to which he's acquired the relevant (but otherwise worthless/useless) domains.

So unlike most of his posts .. at the start I didn't really have an issue with the existence of this thread .. although I obviously strongly disagree with the merit of the actual domains in question (two-word "epik" domains). That is UNTIL like clockwork he started dropping some of his other non-related domains he's trying to push (his Yum domains).

What's 100x worse and annoying is that like usual, he adds unrelated domains but tried to justify it with empty statements like ..
"Much to your chagrin I'm not going anywhere, but I will leave you with a few of the domains I recently hand reg'd for my newest portfolio..."
or often it's more in the tone of: here are some other names I registered that you probably can't see the value in
Again, I want to be clear that I'm paraphrasing the later one because I can't be bothered to search likely deleted posts, but he's always cross-promoting his other domains and business concepts, and usually in a condescending way. All of which I can take with a grain of salt .. but what makes me cringe is that he almost always does this without even saying a word of how it related to the current discussion. Like WHY did he mention his Yum domains? If he had used them in a way to show some parallel logic to back up his Epik domains, then maybe I could stomach it .. but he very clearly did not!
MUST YOU WRITE A BOOK EVERYTIME YOU MAKE A REPLY?

This is one of the disadvantages of skipping classes. Go back and take the English Summary Lessons :xf.grin:

•••
I wasn't aware that words sometimes have two different spellings.
Thanks for the link. In Canada tons of words have multiple spellings as we bridge UK and US spelling in an effort to get along with many. That is both a challenge, and an opportunity, for domain investors. You have more choices but some will guess the other. Simple Google search results will give some idea of popularity of each spelling of words with multiple spelling.

Bob

•••
Thanks for the link. In Canada tons of words have multiple spellings as we bridge UK and US spelling in an effort to get along with many. That is both a challenge, and an opportunity, for domain investors. You have more choices but some will guess the other. Simple Google search results will give some idea of popularity of each spelling of words with multiple spelling.

Bob
Bob...you may have seen where Oldtimer started a thread titled; "Tips On How to Hand Register Good Domains" As a result of his thread and this thread, I just hand registered Wordvest.com and Wordinvestigator.com. As you know I've done a lot of different things in my life, and one of the businesses I started in midlife was Inquisitor Investigations. I was one of those annoying little kids who always asked WHY?, and answer's always seemed to lead to another question?

In keeping with the theme of this thread, I'm still pretty intrigued with the word epik spelled with a "k" and how it got started. Here's another link to a website called Word.tips that I found interesting; https://word.tips/words-end-in/ic/ What I found most interesting is there are just 16 four letter words that end in "ic" like epic, and only two others am i familiar with; chic and flic, and in both cases like with epic, the "c" is pronounced as a "k"

I guess my last question to anyone reading this is, how can epic spelled with a "k" become an officially recognized word? As a word investigator now working for Wordvest, I intend to look into it, but maybe someone already knows? Thanks:xf.smile:

•••
Bob...you may have seen where Oldtimer started a thread titled; "Tips On How to Hand Register Good Domains" As a result of his thread and this thread, I just hand registered Wordvest.com and Wordinvestigator.com. As you know I've done a lot of different things in my life, and one of the businesses I started in midlife was Inquisitor Investigations. I was one of those annoying little kids who always asked WHY?, and answer's always seemed to lead to another question?

In keeping with the theme of this thread, I'm still pretty intrigued with the word epik spelled with a "k" and how it got started. Here's another link to a website called Word.tips that I found interesting; https://word.tips/words-end-in/ic/ What I found most interesting is there are just 16 four letter words that end in "ic" like epic, and only two others am i familiar with; chic and flic, and in both cases like with epic, the "c" is pronounced as a "k"

I guess my last question to anyone reading this is, how can epic spelled with a "k" become an officially recognized word? As a word investigator now working for Wordvest, I intend to look into it, but maybe someone already knows? Thanks:xf.smile:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-does-a-word-get-into-the-dictionary

It does not need to be in the dictionary to be a word......

Last paragraph.......

"What about words that don’t make it into the dictionary?

They’re still real words! Many words that aren’t widespread enough to make it into the dictionary—words that are particular to a region or profession or even a family—are perfectly good words; it’s just unlikely that a person outside that area or group would encounter them. For now."

•••
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-does-a-word-get-into-the-dictionary

It does not need to be in the dictionary to be a word......

Last paragraph.......

"What about words that don’t make it into the dictionary?

They’re still real words! Many words that aren’t widespread enough to make it into the dictionary—words that are particular to a region or profession or even a family—are perfectly good words; it’s just unlikely that a person outside that area or group would encounter them. For now."
Thanks Nick...i'd forgotten who you are. Happy New Year! I'd also forgotten that your favorite domain is DefiMortgages.com and thanks for the explanation(y)

The "For now" in your comment sort of indicates it can become an "official" word "if" it's used and recognized enough. If that's the case, who recognizes that? How are they influenced? Anyone? Thanks!

•••
Thanks Nick...i'd forgotten who you are. Happy New Year! I'd also forgotten that your favorite domain is DefiMortgages.com and thanks for the explanation(y)

The "For now" in your comment sort of indicates it can become an "official" word "if" it's used and recognized enough. If that's the case, who recognizes that? How are they influenced? Anyone? Thanks!
It sounds like each dictionary makes its own decisions on word inclusions based on research they do to establish both quantity and breadth of the word usage.

From Dictionary.com:

"It’s the dictionary’s job to describe all words the way they are used in the real world, so dictionaries contain standard words, slang words, dialect words, nonstandard words, and more. (And by “all words,” we do mean all words, and that includes swears and slurs, too. Their inclusion in the dictionary doesn’t mean we approve of their use; it’s evidence, even if hurtful, that the words are or have been used by people.)

The work of a dictionary is to document the meaning of words as they are actually used. This approach is called descriptivism. It is way of studying language that observes how people are really using language in the speech and writing of their real lives. As our lexicographers have put it: “Dictionaries are in the messy business of showing how actual people use words in the real world.” They read a wide variety of texts and transcribed speech and then write definitions based on that research."

•••
It sounds like each dictionary makes its own decisions on word inclusions based on research they do to establish both quantity and breadth of the word usage.

From Dictionary.com:

"It’s the dictionary’s job to describe all words the way they are used in the real world, so dictionaries contain standard words, slang words, dialect words, nonstandard words, and more. (And by “all words,” we do mean all words, and that includes swears and slurs, too. Their inclusion in the dictionary doesn’t mean we approve of their use; it’s evidence, even if hurtful, that the words are or have been used by people.)

The work of a dictionary is to document the meaning of words as they are actually used. This approach is called descriptivism. It is way of studying language that observes how people are really using language in the speech and writing of their real lives. As our lexicographers have put it: “Dictionaries are in the messy business of showing how actual people use words in the real world.” They read a wide variety of texts and transcribed speech and then write definitions based on that research."
I only use websters or the Oxford English Dictionary as they are the most authoritative and comprehensive (in my mind anyway), I used Websters for my example due to this being a predominantly U.S based forum.......

Oxford English Dictionary submissions process below

https://public.oed.com/contribute-to-the-oed/#

•••
•••
Rich, you could become single-handedly responsible for introducing a new word into the English language. Just inundate the internet with it and then submit to Oxford. My suggested definition: "more epic than epic."

I wonder if that would qualify as the greatest lengths anyone has gone to in the name of selling some domains? :)

Last edited:
•••
Rich, you could become single--handedly responsible for introducing a new word into the English language. Just inundate the internet with it and then submit to Oxford. My suggested definition: "more epic than epic."

I wonder if that would qualify as the greatest lengths anyone has gone to in the name of selling some domains? :)
Can anyone read this...is it German? Swedish? Dutch? Thanks

https://www.studienkreis.de/deutsch/epik-merkmale/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back