NameSilo

Totally unexpected: NameCheap is better than Epik and name.com combined!

Located in Domain Registrar Reviews, started by s.g, Oct 28, 2020

Replies:
Views:

?

Epik or NameCheap?

1. Epik

2. NameCheap

Results are only viewable after voting.
Total: 32 vote(s)
  1. Jules Elgincolin

Jules Elgincolin Upgraded Member Blue Account

Add to that, Namecheap has good customer service.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. s.g

s.g Okay, you've cracked it. There is more to us...

Excellent. People mentioned this before. We need good CS.

3. Dude called Michael

Dude called Michael Established Member

Are you working for Namecheap? lol :xf.grin:
    Will have to agree with @alcy. Noobs like Namecheap. I did too by the way. But eventually you find out that there is more out there and that they are average at best.

I got domains at Epik, GoDaddy, Dynadot, Name and Namecheap. So I should know what I'm talking about. If you are mainly a domain seller (like me), Namecheap is worse than Dynadot and Epik for one simple reason: While you can activate Afternic fast-transfer with them, they don't support the SedoMLS premium network. This is a major downside, especially for .de domain flippers. Dynadot and Epik support both networks. With Dynadot you can activate the fast-transfer options directly in your account and don't need to click on a link in an email. But I guess it is too early for you to appreciate things like that. Happy domaining!

4. Jules Elgincolin

Oh I see. Actually, I have all my new registered (Namecheap) domains at Sedo and got verified fast.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  5. Jules Elgincolin

Anyway, all my domains are .coms

6. Dude called Michael

Dude called Michael Established Member

It's not about being verified for listing at Sedo. It's about qualifying for the premium network in order to get the full exposure. Namecheap is not a participating registrar.

7. Jules Elgincolin

Anyway, I am open to other registrars. But from a "newbie's" perspective, my vote goes to NameCheap.

8. creataweb

creataweb Some Guy with Awesome Senior High School Photo VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

9. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Garbage thread;
    This thread gives namecheap a negative light, and i couldnt disagree more for that matter
    Namecheap is not really "cheap"
    and this is the worst thread i have ever seen

MASSIVE BLOATED.COM after sucker in with cheap register & transfer

are not really "cheap" Move to "
    (poor) Promo" from “Registrar reviews”

Also offtopic;Why does it seem like all the "scammers" cybersquatters are reg'd with Namecheap. Check it out; if a website is illegitimate it's registrar is probably Namecheap (if not Godaddy) No wonder Facebook sueong Namecheap to get the identities of private regs using FB-like namez

10. Samer

Name.com doesnt even deserve this exposure of being in thread title.

They irrelevant; dont dont prioriteze .COM since they owned by donus the king of ntgls

i also find their customer service very subpar

good luck with chat only tickets

11. Samer

EPIK 2020 NP Registrar of the year!!

Stop compRing them to these registrars.

Everyone has prreference

Please change that farce title to something more neutral before it’s too late

12. s.g

Thanks for that. Yes, a bit too early. Dynadot has been praised a lot. We'll be trying them next. First we have to ask NameCheap to cancel our contract. Working for them was great but it's time for new challenges! :)

Regardless of our inecperience even after one month of doing this, we know it's doable. Happy domaining to you too!

13. s.g

Too late to be allowed to express an opinion?

14. s.g

We are aware of the Donut issue and yes, their CS isn't very good. Just today they had a customer care meeting for several hours, postponing their customer care in the process because everyone was attending it.

15. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Investor & Creator VIP

Namecheap's purchasing & renewal interface is one of the most annoying, it takes way too long to reach payment. Their renewal prices are also near as high as GD most of the time.

16. s.g

Point taken.

Just today we noticed more negatives:

The beast mode is confusing. While registering a domain it showed a bunch of keywords. Nothing about registering our selected .com. Maybe it happened because we were not logged in but the interface could be better anyway.

Not showing/including the ICANN fee isn't right. Most registrars either include it in or they specifically state that it's excluded on the first page. NameCheap hides this detail until you go in the cart.

17. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Investor & Creator VIP

Yes, that's another annoying thing, showing the ICANN fee separately and until checkout is outdated. The only registrar I used that still does that.

18. Samer

Many registrars, have the 18 cent fee
    included in low price! Go away, Namecheap

19. s.g

The only one? Even more shocking then!

20. s.g

We knew it was going to be easy to learn more about NameCheap and Epik this way. Once we start actively using them on a daily basis (for objectivity even Epik), we will be able to describe things beyond our first impressions.

Do keep your points, criticism and advice rolling. Once we select the best registrar, we will go ahead and decide on the most domainer-friendly hosting company. Already gathering the names now.

Special thanks to @Samer for being very kind and extremely helpful. Your DMs mean a lot to us. One of these days we will have a dedicated "Samer knows" training seminar about all the incredible things you have outlined and then analyzed in a great detail.

21. Ostrados

Ostrados EpicName.com VIP

Epik is way way better than Namecheap in every aspect, and they have more creative solutions and services.

Thats my opinion on this subject.

Cheers

22. Steven McEvoy

Steven McEvoy StevenMcEvoy.com VIP

NameCheap renewals are not cheap... Its not worth the hassle to just register on their company and then every year try and transfer your domains... You don't really save to much anyway on the first initial registration.

23. s.g

By now we partially agree - certain services and options cannot be found at NC. Yet still think it would be nice if Epik's site wasn't so buggy and unfriendly to new users.

24. MasterOfMyDomains

MasterOfMyDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

25. s.g

First of all, thanks for the follow, @MasterOfMyDomains - we have to vote on each new super cool NP member so ... please check our profile on Monday, I bet you'll be in! ;)

About the poll. We looked into it when an NP member (I think it was @Samer or perhaps someone critical) told us about it because we published a similar poll. The moment we saw the one you quote above, everyone agreed that it simply represents who buys where. Knowing the title of it now, I think it's far from objective.

Another thing we discussed was this probability:

As initial customers started using Epik, they loved it and its progressively added features. Within weeks or months of Epik's launch, they were hooked and made others excited about their favourite new registrar too. As Epik added more and more features, and chose ad hoc locations for these features and strange shortcuts, and as they never bothered about upgrading their design, these users were cool with it because they had enough time to get used to each change and they never noticed how old it got. However illogical and ugly the site ended up looking, they simply grew up/old with it. Now when newbies join Epik and see all the mess and their five- to 10-year-old design, chances are more of them are discouraged from staying then fanatical Epik-olians dare to admit.

That's what we spoke about the other day. We love the features but the first day was truly mad. Having the same form saved and confirmed, just to come back later and being told it's time to fill up the form (since it was mysteriously blank again), it was ... uncool, and this was just one of many annoyances. By now, though, we are getting used to Epik (not that we used it that much but we learnt more about it from people who gave us additional tips) so chances are we will grow old with it too.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice