IT.COM

discuss Epik vs. Epic and Happy New Year!

NameSilo
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epik

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=domainer

Just like "domainer" isn't a real word, either is epikO_o However, they both are found in the Urban Dictionary and Wiktionary, thus they're not made up words imho.

Like I have with other key words, I've just started accumulating a portfolio titled; EpikNames.com like; EpikTravel.com, EpikVegas.com and EpikJobs.com

Rob Monster the CEO of Epik.com was the first industry leader I met when I accidentally found the domain industry and the secondary market that Verisign says is "hidden in plain sight".

It's been said, if you want a new idea read an old book, and you may want to think of me as the old book:xf.wink: I found this industry too late to be involved in "one word" domains, but two word domains have become my skill set that I've been told I'm pretty good at, and hopefully getting better.

Now getting back to Epik vs. Epic. As a business person, would you rather own the domain EpicTravel at 20K or EpikTravel at 2K? In my mind it's a No Brainer:xf.rolleyes:, but not so fast old time "domainers" might say? To put things in perspective, I just bought the domain EpikTravel.com from Epik.com for $8 and GD Values it at $1,343 while it Values EpicTravel at $6,455. And while those valuations sound way out of bounds, NameWorth values EpicTravel.com at $9,450 and EpikTravel.com at <less than $500. Furthermore, NameWorth values Epik.com at $64,000 and Epic.com at 10M, that's right ten million dollars:xf.rolleyes:

Finally, and maybe it's just me, but I like "Epik" better than "Epic"....maybe it's that EpikWeed:xf.confused: I've been smoking. What say you?....Happy New Year(y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Epic is better because it passes the radio test. It's the default spelling. You have to specify the "k" every time in spoken form.

Ofc, epik.com is still a brilliant domain name, third best of the registrars imo (behind name.com and domain.com)

Epik.com is a great brandable domain, but as a two word domain, epic is much better imo.

•••
Epic is better because it passes the radio test. It's the default spelling. You have to specify the "k" every time in spoken form.

Ofc, epik.com is still a brilliant domain name, third best of the registrars imo (behind name.com and domain.com)

Epik.com is a great brandable domain, but as a two word domain, epic is much better imo.
Thanks for your reply, but is it 10X better or 20K better?

•••
Electronic Payment In Kind (Epik Masterbucks) ?

•••
The properly spelled alternative certainly has the potential to be 10x or 20x more valuable.

Much would depend on the type of company using the name, what type of marketing they're planning to do, and how much they would need to spend on that marketing to ensure that potential customers don't accidentally visit the website of the properly spelled name.

Generally speaking, I would say that the bigger the company is, the more important it is for them to not cheap out on a brand that is not intuitive.

•••
"Epic" starting a domain shows 179 sales for $195K+ on NameBio.com.

"Epik" starting a domain shows 2, only the exact match .COM and .ORG.

There is no comparison. The correct spelling is far more desirable.

Brad

•••
Obviously 'Epic', it not only passes the radio test but is also a term used by so many companies, some even worth $1bn+. Anyway, Epic Games probably already offered like $50m to buy it, so I doubt Epic.com will ever be sold without the company owning it going bankrupt.

•••
Any Godaddy appraisal that's under $2000 is pretty much meaningless as far as an indication of worth/value or realistic price someone might be willing to pay.

Examples of names I just invented randomly that are available to handreg with their appraisals:

Zambobo.com $1107
Zwavo.com $1105
Rambono.com $1230

That doesn't mean that good names can't be appraised under $2000, it just means that Godaddy's default is to give almost any domain at least a $1000+ valuation in order to justify its worth to potential end users.

Last edited:
•••
Epik and Rob, best part of my 2019 :)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Electronic Payment In Kind (Epik Masterbucks) ?
Not sure about that, but it just triggered EpikMortgage and EpikBank.com Thanks

•••
•••
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epik

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=domainer

Just like "domainer" isn't a real word, either is epikO_o However, they both are found in the Urban Dictionary and Wiktionary, thus they're not made up words imho.

Like I have with other key words, I've just started accumulating a portfolio titled; EpikNames.com like; EpikTravel.com, EpikVegas.com and EpikJobs.com

Rob Monster the CEO of Epik.com was the first industry leader I met when I accidentally found the domain industry and the secondary market that Verisign says is "hidden in plain sight".

It's been said, if you want a new idea read an old book, and you may want to think of me as the old book:xf.wink: I found this industry too late to be involved in "one word" domains, but two word domains have become my skill set that I've been told I'm pretty good at, and hopefully getting better.

Now getting back to Epik vs. Epic. As a business person, would you rather own the domain EpicTravel at 20K or EpikTravel at 2K? In my mind it's a No Brainer:xf.rolleyes:, but not so fast old time "domainers" might say? To put things in perspective, I just bought the domain EpikTravel.com from Epik.com for $8 and GD Values it at $1,343 while it Values EpicTravel at $6,455. And while those valuations sound way out of bounds, NameWorth values EpicTravel.com at $9,450 and EpikTravel.com at <less than $500. Furthermore, NameWorth values Epik.com at $64,000 and Epic.com at 10M, that's right ten million dollars:xf.rolleyes:

Finally, and maybe it's just me, but I like "Epik" better than "Epic"....maybe it's that EpikWeed:xf.confused: I've been smoking. What say you?....Happy New Year(y)

Are you only purchasing EpikTravel.com, based on the efforts of Epik.com? Now for a company to brand as EpikTravel.com, they would realize they would lose a lot of business to EpicTravel.com, and would need to own both in order to gain traction, and if they didn't they were going to be spending their marketing dollars elsewhere.

Now when it comes to one word brandable type names like Epic, and Epik that is a whole different ball game. I think Epic is owned by a company out in WI, I am sure Epik would have tried to acquire it, but maybe easier when they started out, as today prices are at all time highs for 4 letter word .com's. Especially ones that describe something positive.

OP you are just trying to play off someone else's atl branding, and hoping it sticks, you continue to baffle us all in how much money your willing to lose in this industry.

•••
OP you are just trying to play off someone else's atl branding, and hoping it sticks, you continue to baffle us all in how much money your willing to lose in this industry.

OP is rich + according to OP own avatar, OP gets paid to do this daily by escrow com :)

iii.png

( Joke + Happy New Year @ThatNameGuy )

Last edited:
•••
Epik and Rob, best part of my 2019 :)

Samer
Thanks Samer....i just hand reg'd EpikBank.com that is far better for a banks name than EpicBank imho. Why? I live in a town/city that's home to one of the largest regional banks in the world...Towne Bank. Note that as far as I can tell "towne" doesn't pass the radio test, but I know for a fact they'd never consider changing their name. "Towne" like "Epik" really isn't a word, however you will find it in the Urban Dictionary and Wiktionary.

If I were to start a bank tomorrow, chances are I'd name it EpikBank over EpicBank....Rob, are you interested in starting a bank in Seattle? I'd like to be on your board:xf.wink: A name like Epik Bank has a global feel to it if you ask me:xf.smile:

•••
"Epic" starting a domain shows 179 sales for $195K+ on NameBio.com.

"Epik" starting a domain shows 2, only the exact match .COM and .ORG.

There is no comparison. The correct spelling is far more desirable.

Brad
Thanks Brad...i value your input far more than you'll ever know. Happy New Year Mon Ami:xf.grin:

•••
It is very simple

Epik is a great domain, small variances can be perfect brandables.

EpikAnything else is a terrible idea because now you have a misspell/modification with a second word.

I like misspells and I like brandables, just not as two word combinations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing to consider is that a misspell can be trademarked, similar to Realtor.com, so technically any second word you add is trademark infringement because the name is made up and owned by the original user. Fortunately this is not the case with Epik so one can easily combine it with a second word but you're taking a risk on EpikNames.com because that can be a trademark infringement with Epik the registrar.

•••
It is very simple

EpikAnything else is a terrible idea because now you have a misspell/modification with a second word.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing to consider is that a misspell can be trademarked, similar to Realtor.com, so technically any second word you add is trademark infringement because the name is made up and owned by the original user. Fortunately this is not the case with Epik so one can easily combine it with a second word but you're taking a risk on EpikNames.com because that can be a trademark infringement with Epik the registrar.
I'm aware of that MapleDots...EpikNames is Robs if he wants it. I guess since I reg'd it at Epik he could probably take it and hold me hostage:xf.frown: Have a Happy Gourmet New Year(y)

•••
It is very simple

How about Citi Bank or Commercia Bank or my hometown bank, Towne Bank? Were they "terrible" ideas too?

•••
I'm aware of that MapleDots...EpikNames is Robs if he wants it. I guess since I reg'd it at Epik he could probably take it and hold me hostage:xf.frown: Have a Happy Gourmet New Year(y)

Personally I would prefer EpikDomains over EpikNames

I don't understand why anyone in domaining picks the term names unless the term domain is taken.

I sell names - means nothing unless you qualify it.
I sell domains - I know exactly what you do without explaining.

So the million dollar question is......

Who do you think owns EpikDomains.com? :xf.laugh:

•••
It's threads like these that make me grateful that the 2019 Awards thread stayed so positive. Now, don't get any ideas folks.

EpikAwards.com is available, btw. EpikAwardsShow is available as well. One could corner the market and purchase both.

•••
I don't understand why anyone in domaining picks the term names unless the term domain is taken.

A good point @MapleDots but when I talk to people outside the domain business, which most end users are, they actually don't know what a domain is (or may know some of its other meanings such as biological) but they do recognize that there is some need to have a name for a website (the domain). So I am not convinced, although accept your argument that it is more precise to use domain. Also by using names we are more attuned if we are offering a diversified naming rebrand, and not simply a naked domain (to use Rob's term in another thread today).

Re Epik vs Epic the main arguments re conventional spelling preferred and radio test have been make earlier in the thread, but I agree with you that Epik, with a single letter different, is a memorable and great brand. I would probably favour Epic but not by a huge factor price wise in a two word domain name. The stats that @bmugford provided though is strong evidence to the contrary of my thinking.

Nowadays with Google completing everything, and email seldom used for business purposes (I realize that is an over-statement, but I mean for example the financial institutions and any service involving important information like insurance do not communicate or respond to email with me), I actually think we way over-emphasize the importance of radio test. The name should look distinctive and elegant, and look nice in print and on signage. Two words with Epik or Epic pass that for me. A name like TheEpikBank4YouToo would not however, even in .com! :xf.grin:

Bob

•••
Personally I would prefer EpikDomains over EpikNames

So the million dollar question is......

Who do you think owns EpikDomains.com? :xf.laugh:
Why Rob owns it of course. Just for the record, most "end users" not familiar with the domain industry relate to "Brands" and "Names" before they relate to "Domains" Who do you sell your domains/names to? btw, are we conversing on NamePros™ or DomainPros™ Inquiring minds would love to know:xf.rolleyes:

•••
btw, are we conversing on NamePros™ or DomainPros™ Inquiring minds would love to know:xf.rolleyes:
Good point, you are on your game today (y)

In the same theme....
I write at NamePros
I also write, not as often as I should, at NameTalent
My own domain website is NamesThat.win
One of the registrars I use is NameSilo
And another is Namecheap
I use NameStat quite a lot for statistics
I attended the industry biggest conference NamesCon in 2019
Bob

(Yes, I know I could list contrary like my Twitter is AGreatDomain, I use DomainIQ, DomainTools, etc.). For domainers I think the case can be made domain is better, for general public I agree with @thatNameGuy that Name or Brand is preferred (or plurals).

Last edited:
•••
A good point @MapleDots but when I talk to people outside the domain business, which most end users are, they actually don't know what a domain is (or may know some of its other meanings such as biological) but they do recognize that there is some need to have a name for a website (the domain). So I am not convinced, although accept your argument that it is more precise to use domain. Also by using names we are more attuned if we are offering a diversified naming rebrand, and not simply a naked domain (to use Rob's term in another thread today).

Re Epik vs Epic the main arguments re conventional spelling preferred and radio test have been make earlier in the thread, but I agree with you that Epik, with a single letter different, is a memorable and great brand. I would probably favour Epic but not by a huge factor price wise in a two word domain name. The stats that @bmugford provided though is strong evidence to the contrary of my thinking.

Nowadays with Google completing everything, and email seldom used for business purposes (I realize that is an over-statement, but I mean for example the financial institutions and any service involving important information like insurance do not communicate or respond to email with me), I actually think we way over-emphasize the importance of radio test. The name should look distinctive and elegant, and look nice in print and on signage. Two words with Epik or Epic pass that for me. A name like TheEpikBank4YouToo would not however, even in .com! :xf.grin:

Bob
Bob...a lot of what you're saying proves the need for "outbound" marketing for domains. I checked NameBio like Brad did, and there's a very obvious reason why there are way more sales for Epic vs. Epik domains that should be evident to anyone who knows this business. Bottomline, hell will need to freeze over before before my Epikxxxx.com domains will sell via inbound:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Good point, you are on your game today (y)

In the same theme....
I write at NamePros
I also write, not as often as I should, at NameTalent
My own domain website is NamesThat.win
One of the registrars I use is NameSilo
And another is Namecheap
I use NameStat quite a lot for statistics
I attended the industry biggest conference NamesCon in 2019
Bob

(Yes, I know I could list contrary like my Twitter is AGreatDomain, I use DomainIQ, DomainTools, etc.). For domainers I think the case can be made domain is better, for general public I agree with @thatNameGuy that Name or Brand is preferred (or plurals).

@Ategy NameCult
@Rob Monster @DanSanchez NameLiquidate, NameInvestors

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Back