IT.COM

Will .xyz have any value now??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dipesh Singh

Account Closed
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are many extensions where only a handful of keywords have value, very limited value. Even keywords like hotels or sex aren't necessarily valuable in some extensions.

As more extensions are being released this will become worse.

It is wishful thinking to assume being able to register a good keyword = money.

I agree and disagree.
I agree when you say that some keywords are irrelevant with some extensions. Of course! mutualfunds.kitchen sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?
But, I disagree when you say that it's wishful thinking, because no matter what, good keywords are always good for SEO and in turn, your business to a great extent.
Once people realise they can, they may go for mutualfunds.xyz over a compromised name with a .com in it

•••
i find it amusing how people keep talking about wasted time..

sleeping 10 hours at nite is also a lot of wasted time (compared to those who sleep 5 hours a nite).. and yet many do sleep 10 hours.... and so is taking shower for 1 hour instead of 10 minutes... going to cinema for 2 hours is wasted time to some.. not to others.. tv.. etc...plus an infinity of other daily tasks we perform.. so don't be too harsh on yourselves or cry over "wasted time" if you spent couple hours regging xyz domains for 1 cent.. how to waste or not waste time is about the world's most subjective and personal matter one can try and discuss. the real waste of time in this is to try and establish what is on average and in general a waste of time. cause this thing cannot be established in some general or average way ;)
mind boggling.. I know heheh

either way.. imo.. most xyz won't sell... some will. and no one knows which ones. for no one can predict or know the mind of an enduser and the future.

I'll leave this at that as far as I am concerned. good luck to all who took their 1cent gambles!
wouldn't be domaining if it wasn't some gamble and risk!

cheers.

•••
I agree and disagree.
I agree when you say that some keywords are irrelevant with some extensions. Of course! mutualfunds.kitchen sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?
But, I disagree when you say that it's wishful thinking, because no matter what, good keywords are always good for SEO and in turn, your business to a great extent.
Once people realise they can, they may go for mutualfunds.xyz over a compromised name with a .com in it

if they want the keyword will they pay premium prices for mutualfunds.xyz (which is priced at $3000 by the registry) vs. getting a handreg like mutualfunds.fm for $79 or buying any other extension for low $xxx from a domainer?

There are so many options today that they don't need to pay premium prices for a mediocre extension if they want a keyword.

•••
I guess with in next 1 year odds will get clear about xyz domains, i don't have many though, but just have a feeling that it will prosper a little, anybody who is giving it a time, i think will be of some worth.

•••
The new tlds aren't going anywhere. Anyone with a large .com portfolio will naturally feel threatened. Seems i see everyday a new startup using a ntld. Xyz is the only one I see that is spending on marketing. I have quite a few premiums and will ride the wave up with Negari.

•••
There are too many extensions in reality, this could have the effect of making people stick to the main TLD's and the ccTLD for their country due to confusion. I guess 95% of those regged for 2 cents will not renew if the renewal price is $10, it just won't happen.People snapped them up as a self satisfying indulgence, why not, some might have grabbed good names but at $10 renewal not a chance. I think $1-2 max renewal and I strongly suggest auto renew is switched off on every one of them so you control which you decide to keep.

If .top followed .xyz's lead with the effective giveaway they should allow 2 years at the 2 cent price, chances are higher they'll get developed. Once a site is on a domain there is a commitment , which means a higher chance of renewal, again .top is not a $10 renewal either.

•••
The best names will, the ones registered today, no.

I agree.

But some of the domain names registered today can still be developed into good websites, they just do not have any resale value of their own (at least 90%+).

EXAMPLE:
I registered 50 that I plan on developing as sister sites for domain names I already own.

•••
Nice, I actually saw that it dropped before. So, I was proven wrong, there are/were still some decent names to be taken.

Nice

•••
Have just sold the following at Namejet:

bloggers.xyz 05/20/2016 $69
appraisal.xyz 05/20/2016 $69
sofa.xyz 05/25/2016 $133
quote.xyz 05/26/2016 $300

Was instructed to transfer these domains to Enom account and from here Namejet will deliver the domains to the prospective buyers.

And to think I was about to drop them after hearing some negative comments from some pros around but decided anyway to renew. I guess one has just to follow his own instinct.

Great Job!!

•••
This is really sound logic. Today I employed it in another form: I decided to buy loads of toilet paper that was on sale while it was cheap. I now have an ad for used toilet paper on Craiglist - I'm sure to net a good profit.
Or just use the toilet paper over the course of the rest of your life and save a ton in the process

•••
You can pick a .xyz domain for just $0.01 or $0.02 or some were offering them even for free.

I also picked some 10-15 .xyz domains.

I wonder if they have any value? Will they even sell??

great point

but i reckon google will start buying gtlds and making them all available at $0.01 which will mean that anyone will be able to buy a domain name and i reckon google will offer free hosting of websites

but it wont cost google $0.01 to pay really big sums to outbid to buy and run new gtlds and offer domain names with a gtld it may have to pay $10m? $20m? for $0.01 each for because it would flood the web with websites thus making it harder to rank in the top half of the first page of google in any sector unless businesses pay even more to er google to at best stay at their current google ranking

google wins because it can almost enter any sector it wants to and not worry if it sells its products in that sector for less than it cost to make any product? which will see many industries affected because no industry can compete with a company that can afford to buy industry leading companies or invent industry leading companies and not worry if it doesnt make a 1p

because google's search engine is making too much money which is ok but the problem is that googles search engine cant stop making vast amounts of money from google ranking and ads etc because it has no competition and it will completely revolutionize grocery delivery too etc

but back to domain names google will eventually own the domain name industry almost because it has to because of apps v websites etc so it needs to make owning and hosting a website almost if not totally free for anyone globally

•••
•••
I like the xyz push, think of the low opportunity cost to try innovations in naming uses and solutions.

Its the price and the free option time to see if something works.

SO i like the one year test drive, and the fact they went ahead and paid the ICANN fees means they are truly doing everything possible ot constantly support the TLD.

I picture Daniel and his team like the steam engine operator, constantly pushing coal into the furnace to keep the fire going, keep it hot. Ye sit may burn on its own at some point but they arent waiting

off to register another 100 for the $22 uniregistry, is that the best deal out there?

Page Howe

•••
I like the xyz push, think of the low opportunity cost to try innovations in naming uses and solutions.

SO i like the one year test drive, and the fact they went ahead and paid the ICANN fees means they are truly doing everything possible ot constantly support the TLD.

I picture Daniel and his team like the steam engine operator, constantly pushing coal into the furnace to keep the fire going, keep it hot. Ye sit may burn on its own at some point but they arent waiting

off to register another 100 for the $22 uniregistry, is that the best deal out there?

Page Howe

a lot of good domains will be available in .xyz but with google recognizing the .direct as the word direct etc in google ranking as wel as the trade sector gtlds as those words in google ranking etc those gtlds offer better organic seo that far outweighs a cheaper domain name purchase price

•••
The new tlds aren't going anywhere. Anyone with a large .com portfolio will naturally feel threatened. Seems i see everyday a new startup using a ntld. Xyz is the only one I see that is spending on marketing. I have quite a few premiums and will ride the wave up with Negari.

Agreed, the new gTLDs are here to stay. However, the threat to .COM is no different than it has been. TLDs like .TV, .INFO, .CC, .WS always presented an alternative for people who couldn't get the .COM.

I don't notice any real affect on the .COM market. IMO every new gTLD that comes along only creates more competition for the other gTLDs to go against.

•••
"Xyz developed sites are growing" give me a break. When was the last time any of you visited a website with .xyz? What percentage of sites that you actually visit use something other than .com, net, or org?
If these developed sites actually made a difference to anything, it wouldn't take the registry selling them for an amount I can get from the "take a penny leave a penny" at a gas station for people to finally justify buying one.

•••
No, I don't recall ever using an actual .XYZ website other than Google's http://abc.xyz

More sites will be using them now that the domains are so cheap. You can track how many Google indexed websites are using .XYZ domains by searching Google for site:.xyz

As of today, I'm seeing about 6.1 million results. We can track this and see how this number grows over time.

•••
No, I don't recall ever using an actual .XYZ website other than Google's http://abc.xyz

More sites will be using them now that the domains are so cheap. You can track how many Google indexed websites are using .XYZ domains by searching Google for site:.xyz

As of today, I'm seeing about 6.1 million results. We can track this and see how this number grows over time.

Cool thanks for sharing. Didn't realize you could search for a specific extention. If you click on the results they are mostly forwarding to the .com but still a good sign thathe companies are using them

•••

Page Howe

hmmm regged couple more at unireg 18cent each.. so 100 should be $18 last I checked at unireg.

and yes, far as I know this is best deal now.

keep very far away from namecheap. I tried them during 2cent promo and even after it, and never got to add a single one of them to cart. the pendign add wheel just kept spinning forever.

its such a breeze at unireg with their fantastic bulk reg manager.. was real great when it was 1cent each few days ago.
100 vr xyz for 1$ lol
if u know what I mean
hahah.

•••
thanks alcy, i waited overnight for me uniregistry .xyz's got 21 out of 22. And thanks for the price update.

COM vs XYZ, just think if they (com) ever did marketing,

its takes a lot to move the real needle for mindshare, im feeling that trying to get .LA into the mindspace of those in Los Angeles. Compared to some other new tlds, were rockin with 1000+ developed sites. then the Grammys or Oscars or Olmpics or Super Bowl come along and i realize how much thee is to think about in LA.'

still tryin thouigh, as are the xyz team.

funny now 12,000 vanity names, and 20,000 geos and 40k popualr words or something are taken. Most of the ones im selling now (8 this week) i got on landrush, or first renewal when only some of the top 50 geos were taken, maybe 50 baby names or 500 dictionary words; and all mine have regualar renewals.

Page

•••
the .xyz gtld will sell purely because if its good enough for google? its good enough for them etc oh and because they are cheap

•••
great point

but i reckon google will start buying gtlds and making them all available at $0.01 which will mean that anyone will be able to buy a domain name and i reckon google will offer free hosting of websites

but it wont cost google $0.01 to pay really big sums to outbid to buy and run new gtlds and offer domain names with a gtld it may have to pay $10m? $20m? for $0.01 each for because it would flood the web with websites thus making it harder to rank in the top half of the first page of google in any sector unless businesses pay even more to er google to at best stay at their current google ranking

google wins because it can almost enter any sector it wants to and not worry if it sells its products in that sector for less than it cost to make any product? which will see many industries affected because no industry can compete with a company that can afford to buy industry leading companies or invent industry leading companies and not worry if it doesnt make a 1p

because google's search engine is making too much money which is ok but the problem is that googles search engine cant stop making vast amounts of money from google ranking and ads etc because it has no competition and it will completely revolutionize grocery delivery too etc

but back to domain names google will eventually own the domain name industry almost because it has to because of apps v websites etc so it needs to make owning and hosting a website almost if not totally free for anyone globally

I don't think Google was short sighted when they re-organized under abc.xyz but most professionals on NP who have only known .com are short sighted.

•••
hmmm regged couple more at unireg 18cent each.. so 100 should be $18 last I checked at unireg.

and yes, far as I know this is best deal now.

keep very far away from namecheap. I tried them during 2cent promo and even after it, and never got to add a single one of them to cart. the pendign add wheel just kept spinning forever.

its such a breeze at unireg with their fantastic bulk reg manager.. was real great when it was 1cent each few days ago.
100 vr xyz for 1$ lol
if u know what I mean
hahah.

its only a matter of time before google make an offer to buy unireg i reckon because unireg own some good gtlds which i reckon google want to own

and i reckon the conversation would go something like larry page saying to frank how much will it cost google?
and frank just putting the right amount of noughts on the end of a very desirable $figure i reckon if google were to make an offer for unireg etc i reckon the offer from google would be too irresistable to turn down

•••
I don't think Google was short sighted when they re-organized under abc.xyz but most professionals on NP who have only known .com are short sighted.

had bmw made alphabet.com available for google to buy google may have bought it or may be not

but the .xyz works well for google etc in as when google was founded they were at abc and now they are somewhere between abc and xyz but nowhere near the middle and will never get to xyz as they will always be working on new concepts and ventures etc google have probably only got as far as def in the abc - xyz of things

•••
i wouldn't be surprised if google didn't start buying .colours eg .red .orange etc .blue or fruits its the sort of thing that they would have to bulk buy gtlds to make sure they owned them all before buying one tho

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back