IT.COM

Will .xyz have any value now??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dipesh Singh

Account Closed
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Besides sales, what didn't sell can give some insight as well. Only 50 states. https://flippa.com/6448341-domaining-xyz

Don't know what the reserve was but only got up to $1200, which is less than $35 per domain.

Is a state not worth $35? There were 11 of them. Or other geos like Cancun, Ottawa, Manitoba etc? Or good keywords like FineArt, Domaining etc? How come .xyz investors didn't jump all over this if they believe in the value?

This was a stellar .xyz portfolio and I would have expected higher bids.

So I don't know about the end.user market but the reseller market IS dead at the moment.
They are loading up on registrations so that another announcement along the lines of abc.xyz will be even bigger news, with enough people registered at $.01 to hit the headlines, this time on an international level.

I can't follow you on this sorry. ABC.XYZ was used because it is a domain hack with ABC not because of the extension itself.

Last edited:
•••
This was a stellar .xyz portfolio and I would have expected higher bids.

So I don't know about the end.user market but the reseller market IS dead at the moment.

It is going to take a major announcement, along the lines of Google re-organizing under Alphabet or something even bigger before the aftersales market really takes off.

The MIIT approval in China might be big news too, but I think Chinese investors will understand it's significance and relevance much more than those of us in the West.

If Facebook were to re-enter China under Facebook.xyz?

Well, let's just say that all bets would be off and .xyz would rival .com, .net and .org almost instantly.

•••
If Facebook were to re-enter China under Facebook.xyz?

Why would they do this is .com is the choice for most companies?

•••
Why would they do this is .com is the choice for most companies?

People said the same thing about Google when Daniel Negari predicted that Google would be the 1st company to convert to .xyz.

"The Alphabet ends in XYZ and domain names should too."
~ Daniel Negari

He said that before an actual company named Alphabet, as in the Google Alphabet even existed. Who would have thought? @dordomai

The Silicon Valley show is working with tech companies behind the scenes to market their ventures. It wasn't a mere coincidence that Google re-organized under abc.xyz the week after the show made fun of .xyz (see Hooli.xyz ).

"Better to be lucky than good?
Maybe there’s some luck after all. Earlier this week when we asked what tech stocks look attractive right now, Brener said SolarCity (SCTY) was a top holding of his. That evening, Tesla (TSLA) announced it would acquire SolarCity, causing the solar name to shoot up 13%."

Recent Article:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/silicon-valley-season-three-finale-big-head-josh-brener-billionaires-mike-judge-171751089.html

The Silicon Valley sitcom is in the business of making money. So they are partnering with tech companies like Alphabet and Tesla to feature in their show.

Mark my words, this won't be the last time Alphabet's .XYZ is Featured on TV.

Last edited:
•••
People said the same thing about Google when Daniel Negari predicted that Google would be the 1st company to convert to .xyz.

"The Alphabet ends in XYZ and domain names should too." ~ Daniel Negari

Negari wasn't referring to Google when he said this at that time Alphabet didn't exist. He was referring to "the alphabet". So he wasn't predicting anything.

Also so far abc.xyz is not a consumer brand and not intended as such. Google.com the main business did not rebrand.

I think it would be more likely seeing Google using .google as a new extension if they were to change anything.

At this point people are only familar with Google, Youtube, Gmail. I don't see a reason why they should rebrand them. It would just cost them a lot of money without getting anything in return.

If you have inside information or real facts then it would be more credible but the only thing that you have is a vague statement from the CEO and the idea that he somehow knew about the re-organization years in advance and applied for .xyz for that purpose.

It doesn't make any sense at all.

If Google had planned this why wouldn't have they bought the string themselves?

Perhaps you could explain this in more detail?

Now of course we can't predict the future but I don't see anything that would suggest a large brand would switch from .com to .xyz.

Also I don't see what could be gained from that?

There are in fact only disavantages doing this if you already have a .com website.

Last edited:
•••
Negari wasn't referring to Google when he said this at that time Alphabet didn't exist. He was referring to "the alphabet". So he wasn't predicting anything.

Also so far abc.xyz is not a consumer brand and not intended as such. Google.com the main business did not rebrand.

I think it would be more likely seeing Google using .google as a new extension if they were to change anything.

At this point people are only familar with Google, Youtube, Gmail. I don't see a reason why they should rebrand them. It would just cost them a lot of money without getting anything in return.

If you have inside information or real facts then it would be more credible but the only thing that you have is a vague statement from the CEO and the idea that he somehow knew about the re-organization years in advance and applied for .xyz for that purpose.

It doesn't make any sense at all.

If Google had planned this why wouldn't have they bought the string themselves?

Perhaps you could explain this in more detail?

Now of course we can't predict the future but I don't see anything that would suggest a large brand would switch from .com to .xyz.

Also I don't see what could be gained from that?

There are in fact only disavantages doing this if you already have a .com website.

I don't have inside information but the company (XYZ), Frank Schilling and Google have made their plans obvious through their press releases.

Some of the articles were removed within 48 hours, such as the quote from Alphabet's Chairman, Eric Schmidt (at a business meeting) that Alphabet would start more companies than letters in the Alphabet.

The article on ceo.xyz by Daniel Negari also seems to be missing (now). The one where he stated that buying .car from Google was the best decision he ever made.

That happened three months before Google re-organized and re-branded under Alphabet's, abc.xyz.

XYZ Purchases .Car

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/18/google_sells_car_internet_space

Did Daniel know the Alphabet would end in .XYZ?

Obsolutely, it was his idea. And he is saving the single letter .xyz domains for the only company that will propel his .XYZ towards becoming the next .com.

(the article about that might still be online).

What is likely the most popular gTLD for 2016?

".Xyz will continue to dominate and by the end of the year, it will disrupt the .com/.net/,org trinity that has dominated the gTLD landscape for 20 years."

- Ben Crawford, CEO of CentralNic

http://ipprotheinternet.com/interviews/interview.php?interview_id=105#.V3Fd9csRVnE

Last edited:
•••
Some of the articles were removed within 48 hours, such as the quote from Alphabet's Chairman, Eric Schmidt (at a business meeting) that Alphabet would start more companies than letters in the Alphabet.

This statement does not refer to .xyz and has nothing to do with that.

Frank Schilling and Google have made their plans obvious through their press releases.

Google never hinted or indicated that they might launch websites under .xyz and Frank had speculated once that .web might overtake .com - has nothing to do with .xyz

The article on ceo.xyz by Daniel Negari also seems to be missing (now). The one where he stated that buying .car from Google was the best decision he ever made.

Which again has nothing to do with the .xyz extension.

Did Daniel know the Alphabet would end in .XYZ?
Obsolutely, it was his idea.

It's your idea that it was his idea. "The Alphabet" is not "Alphabet" the holding company.

You imagine Negari meeting with Larry Pageand telling him: "... listen to me you I am a marketing genius and if you want your company to succeed you must rebrand to .xyz and host all your properties under my extension..."

and Page answers: "Yes you are absolutely right this .com prevents my company from growing - how could I not see this - and .Google is not good enough, we need .xyz I will start the process of renaming our half a $ trillion brand immediately and use your reliable, proven and secure extension that sounds so much better."

Who knows if they ever met? I would suppose the people in charge of managing Gs extension are not Page or Brin.

- Ben Crawford, CEO of CentralNic

".Xyz will continue to dominate and by the end of the year, it will disrupt the .com/.net/,org trinity that has dominated the gTLD landscape for 20 years."

This guy is running the .xyz backend. PR talk.

Probably not the right person if you want an objective opinion on .xyz

Of course he talks about how wonderful and bright the future for this extension is if his business depends on it.

Current facts: Top keywords like Cancun.xyz or Domaining.xyz are priced at $35 by the market according to the latest Flippa auction. https://flippa.com/6448341-domaining-xyz

Not even close to what an .org portfolio would get you.

So as you explained it is your BELIEF that Google and .XYZ are working together to create an .XYZ online property empire because you believe that Negari told them to do so.

I am open to believing a lot of things but this one I can't believe.

Last edited:
•••
This statement does not refer to .xyz and has nothing to do with that.

Google never hinted or indicated that they might launch websites under .xyz and Frank had speculated once that .web might overtake .com - has nothing to do with .xyz

Which again has nothing to do with the .xyz extension.

It's your idea that it was his idea. "The Alphabet" is not "Alphabet" the holding company.

You imagine Negari meeting with Larry Page and Google and telling him listen to me you I am a marketing genius and if you want your company to succeed you must rebrand to .xyz and host all your properties under my extension.

and Page answers: Yes you are absolutely right this .com prevents my company from growing - how could I not see this - and .Google is not good enough, we need .xyz I will start the process of renaming our half a $ trillion brand immediately and use your reliable, proven and secure extension that sounds so much better.

Who knows if they ever met? I would suppose the people in charge of managing Gs extension are not Page or Brin.

So as you explained it is your BELIEF that Google and .XYZ are working together to create an .XYZ online property empire because Negari told them to do so.

I am open to believing a lot of things but this one I can't believe.

For the record, you did not display my thought process accurately. @dordomai

And in regards to Frank Schilling, I am referring to his prediction that the .com monopoly could be pierced by the introduction of free domains from Google:

http://sevenmile.com/2012-06/lady-gaga-and-new-tlds-why-google-has-assured-their-future/#content

That link appears to be down too. But you should be able to find a screenshot of it using online tools.

NEXT POINT:

I believe Frank Schilling's insight and perspective was used in part by Daniel Negari during his test run with .XYZ. So it should come as no surprise that the Registry did mass promotions. That article I linked was written in 2012. Before Google Domains, before Alphabet and for the most part, before nGTLDs.

Google Domains will be the next candidate to promote GTLDs on a wide scale and Wordpress will start promoting .blog addresses in November of 2016.

There is too much money behind GTLDs to stop the non-COM trend. It is not moving forward at a fast pace but is constantly moving forward. Slowly but surely.

And to state the obvious, Daniel Negari was the 1st person in the world to state the value and relevancy of abc.xyz as a domain name. And to think that it was bought anonymously by a Google representative without Daniel Negari knowinf it was them is simply niave. It was his most prized possession and Premium Name under reserve, and he sold it to the one company that could help him with his marketing initiatives, which it did. The single letters are reserved for Alphabet for the same reasons.

Last edited:
•••
And to state the obvious, Daniel Negari was the 1st person in the world to state the value and relevancy ofabc.xyz as a domain name.

Link?

And to think that it was bought anonymously by a Google representative without Daniel Negari knowinf it was them is simply niave

Why not? Companies buy domains anonymously all the time. It is not difficult to do so.

Even if they did not buy it anonymously, what does that change?

Sorry I can't follow you on this. It doesn't make any sense at all. Negari does not make decisions for Google.

Last edited:
•••
Negari does not make decisions for Google.

I never said that. My main point is that Google's plans are in sync with the predictions made by Daniel Negari.

•••
Menu

aptantech
…simply about ICT & YOU.
Up&Ap: Shayan Rostam on the rise and rise of dotXYZ domain

Many in the domain industry were surprised when Google’s parent company, Alphabet Inc, chose .xyx (dotXYZ) for its online identity – that is abc.xyz – instead of settling on other existing domain extensions like .com or .net. However, the new unconventional domain was already popular with organisations even before this feat – it was already being used by UMake.xyz (the most popular app for iPad Pro), Gomma.xyz (the portal which showcases works by artists and photographers) whileStarship.xyz (launched by Skype’s cofounders for their new robotic delivery technology) andMilk.xyz (a pop culture site that rebranded from Mi.lk) went live after abc.xyz. But how did dotXYZ come into being? XYZ, the firm behind the dotXYZ domains, was developed from the “the idea that you end the alphabet with XYZ why not end domain names the same way” according to the US-based firm’s founderDaniel Negari. Here now is the dotXYZ story as told by Shayan Rostam, XYZ’s Global Director of Registry Operations…

Q: Who are Daniel Negari and Shayan Rostam?

SR: Daniel Negari is the CEO of XYZ and Shayan is the Global Director of Registry Operations. XYZ is the registry operator of the world’s most popular new domain extension, .xyz, as well as .College (dotCollege), .Rent (dotRent), .Security (dotSecurity), .Protection (dotProtection), and .Theatre (dotTheatre). Through a joint venture, XYZ also offers .Cars (dotCars), .Car (dotCar), and .Auto (dotAuto). The mission of XYZ is to bring choice, flexibility, and innovation to the domain namespace for internet users worldwide.

(TOP: Shayan Rostam in a blazer and partially covered ‘xyz’ t-shirt. BELOW: Homepage screenshots of Alphabet Inc – abc.xyz – and Maybe* – maybe.xyz).

Q: What was your motivation for getting in the internet domain business?

SR: Daniel originally wanted to launch a domain extension after learning about an individual who had acquired the ccTLD .WS from West Somoa. Since Daniel, myself, and several other members of the XYZ Team have backgrounds in the real estate industry, becoming a registry operator was a natural fit when ICANN announced the expansion of the internet landscape through their new gTLD program.

Q: Why did you pick .xyz – instead of say .abc – during ICANN’s new gTLD round in 2012?

SR: .xyz is one of the only domain extensions that can be identified by any language, since the letters X, Y, and Z are universally recognized as the last three letters of the Latin alphabet. .xyz also does not have a literal meaning or connotation, so it gives end users the flexibility to create any kind of presence they desire, rather than being labeled by an industry, location, or other niche. In other words, .xyz is what YOU make it.

Q: You’re also the operator for 5 other strings – .College, .Rent, .Security, .Protection, and .Theatre. What has been the uptake of these other top level domains compared to .xyz?

SR: We actually operate 8 other strings. In addition to the above five, we also operate .Cars, .Car, and .Auto. All of our domain extensions have seen excellent adoption. For example, institutions all over the world, such asMidwestern.College, are securing their .College domains for recruitment, athletics, campus organizations, and other purposes. .Rent domains – especially premiums – have been a popular choice for innovative real estate businesses, like Patch.Rent. And earlier this month, the groundbreaking IBM Watson-powered self driving vehicle was launched onMeetOlli.Auto.

Q: The .xyz domain received a lot of positive press when Google’s holding company Alphabet picked it for its online identity. How has the number of .xyz registrations been impacted by this development, have they increased or stagnated?

SR: Having abc.xyz as an enduser is a great success story. However, .xyz was the most popular new domain in the world even before they launched. There are many cool businesses and individuals using .xyz, such as Starship.xyz, which was launched by Skype’s cofounders for their new robotic delivery technology,UMake.xyz, the most popular app for the iPad Pro, and Milk.xyz, a pop culture site that rebranded from Mi.lk. You can see more .xyz use cases at www.gen.xyz/live or check out our weekly #Website Wednesday blog posts.

Q: Apart from Alphabet Inc, which other major corporations and organisations have taken up the .xyz domain since you launched it in mid 2014?

SR: In addition to Starship.xyz, UMake.xyz, andMilk.xyz, some other big end users include Deloitte – Exponentials.xyz; Gadget Magazine – GadgetDaily.xyz; Fathom –Fathom.xyz; Maybe* – Maybe.xyz; Feed Communications – Feed.xyz and Rise –Rise.xyz. You can see more .xyz use cases atwww.gen.xyz/live or check out our weekly#Website Wednesday blog posts.

Q: In a previous blog post, Daniel stated that he and his team are “marketing .xyz for next generation businesses…” In your opinion and looking at current tech and innovation trends globally, will such businesses be based in the developed West or developing parts of the world like Africa?

SR: As the go-to domain for next generation of internet users, .xyz is not just for one part of the world. The next generation of internet users includes businesses all over the world, apps and innovative technologies, and young adults and individuals in emerging internet markets. .xyz is for every website, everywhere. With internet usage still growing exponentially worldwide, we no longer talk about just the US and Europe. Emerging economies are a remarkable rising tide for the internet industry. This is especially true in areas like Africa, which have extraordinarily young populations when compared to the established western-dominated internet. That’s why it’s no surprise that .xyz is the most popular new domain in African countries likeEgypt, Algeria, Nigeria, and Kenya.

Emerging economies are a remarkable rising tide for the internet industry. This is especially true in areas like Africa, which have extraordinarily young populations when compared to the established western-dominated internet. That’s why it’s no surprise that .xyz is the most popular new domain in African countries like Egypt, Algeria, Nigeria, and Kenya.

Q: In the same post, Daniel stated that “Over the next 30 years, .xyz will reign supreme as not only the #1 new domain extension, but eventually as the NUMBER 1 domain in the world.” Can you support this statement with some figures please?

SR: The global community we are cultivating around .xyz, coined “Generation XYZ,” is growing very quickly. All of the innovative use cases by international businesses and innovative entrepreneurs highlighted earlier have been developed in just 2 years of .xyz’s launch. As more and more people and businesses come online, they will need domains. And as an affordable, flexible, and intuitive domain ending, our retail partners regularly report to us that .xyz is one of their most popular new domains. As a result of the marketing, awareness, and support we provide, The Domains reported earlier this month that .xyz has passed .info as the 4th most popular generic TLD in the world after .com, .net, and .org. We look forward to continuing our growth from there.

As a result of the marketing, awareness, and support we provide,… .xyz has passed .info as the 4th most popular generic TLD in the world after .com, .net, and .org.

Q: In a previous ICANN meeting, one of the journalists present noted that internet domains, and URLS, would soon be a thing of the past as people are more comfortable using mobile apps which don’t require users to remember and key in domains to access various websites. Is this true or not?

SR: We believe the opposite is true. The prevalence of mobile devices requires MORE short domain names for easy navigation. Domain names that are long, difficult to remember, or not fully visible on the screen of a phone will be upgraded for something shorter and more memorable. In regards to mobile apps – they need websites too. We’ve seen numerous using .xyz, includingUMake.xyz, Voter.xyz, Throne.xyz, Sling.xyz,Maybe.xyz, DoTell.xyz, and FlyStay.xyz, to name a few.

Q: Your parting shot?

SR: Many of our retail partners are celebrating .xyz’s 2-year anniversary right now. Visit your favorite registrar’s website to see what they’re doing until the end of June, or visit www.gen.xyz/2 to learn more.

http://aptantech.com/2016/06/upap-shayan-rostam-on-the-rise-and-rise-of-dotxyz-domain/#.V3G0Z8sRVnF

•••
.XYZ Domain Fiasco
Google's forthcoming play in China could have something to do with Sergey Brin and Larry Page choosing the last three letters in the English language as the top-level domain extension ".xyz" for Google's holding company Alphabet if XYZ CEO Daniel Negari's clarifying story is on track. Here's another hypothesis.

It came to me following my discussion with Negari after Domain Incite ran what he calls "a misleading piece" on how his company will allow the Chinese government to ban certain words tied to domain names with the Web extension .XYZ. The message so convoluted with niche details that even the most seasoned analyst would have difficulty wading through the legalese. The piece picked up by the Wall Street Journal and others is still being disputed by Domain Incite's Kevin Murphy in this follow-up piece.

Negari admits he's not an authority on domain names like .com, but offers this example. As the official registries for the TLD .xyz, he explains that Chinese regulators have been threatening to block domain names from companies outside of China that do not appear on their list of approved TLDs, which could include ".com" or ".net," not words like "democracy" or "freedom," and he has been working with Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) for the past nine months to get .xyz on the approved list.

"We have an application submitted with the Chinese government to have .xyz become one of the first new foreign registries approved to work within China," Negari says. He explains the company has about 500,000 new registrations in China. "All new TLDs operated outside of China such as .xyz cannot currently use these domains in the country."

The application process requires ICANN approval through an application. China will require all foreign registries to have prior approval to operate in the country. And as the Chinese government starts to regulate the Internet within China, Negari admits "is the top level domain name is not on the list you won't be able to use them in the country in the future."

It's not clear what TLDs China will approve, but according to Negari, .xyz is the only U.S. company applying for approval through ICANN. A spokesperson for ICANN in an email wrote "We can’t confirm Negari’s statement."

http://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...gle-alphabet-china-and-xyz-domain-fiasco.html

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-28-08-08-26.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-28-08-08-26.png
    537.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
•••
It's not clear what TLDs China will approve, but according to Negari, .xyz is the only U.S. company applying for approval through ICANN. A spokesperson for ICANN in an email wrote "We can’t confirm Negari’s statement."

That does not seem to be the case. Do you believe the other registries are too stupid to establish a company in China?

http://domainincite.com/20008-rightside-moves-into-china-too

Rightside has become the latest gTLD registry to open up in China.

The company said today it has created a Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise, basically a local subsidiary, in the country.

This is the same beachhead in China taken by Minds + Machines and Famous Four Media recently.

Draconian Chinese government regulations on domain registries and registrars require formal accreditation before domain names can be used by Chinese citizens.

Opening up a local office or working with a local proxy appear to be requirements to obtain this accreditation.

Also about 10 years late:

VeriSign Sets Up Beijing Representative Office

Network infrastructure services provider VeriSign established a Beijing office and announced its 2005 strategy in China on March 7, reports eNet

http://pacificepoch.com/china-inves...erisign-sets-up-beijing-representative-office

Seriously do you believe they are stupid or incapable of getting an accredition when most influential Chinese companies are on a .com and want to remain there? While a small registry gets approved? They have been in that market for a long time.

Verisign signs deal with China’s CNNIC for real name verification

http://domainnamewire.com/2016/04/29/verisign-signs-deal-chinas-cnnic-real-name-verification/

Negari admits he's not an authority on domain names like .com, but offers this example. As the official registries for the TLD .xyz, he explains that Chinese regulators have been threatening to block domain names from companies outside of China that do not appear on their list of approved TLDs, which could include ".com" or ".net,"

Nice scare tactics to get more registrations.

Last edited:
•••
If I can net $1,000 / per domain (on average) with this portoflio over the next 5 to 10 years, I will earn $100,000 USD, the question is, can I do it?

@Mr Dobalina

SIMPLE DOMAINS FOR GENERATIONS X, Y & Z.

Last edited:
•••
Very hard, but best of success.

•••
Very hard, but best of success.

Thank you @trp3

Even though I was an early adopter I didn't pull the trigger fast enough. So you are right, it will be difficult since my portfolio isn't on par with some of the legacy domainers who bought into .XYZ.

But I do have domain names that cannot be Word Hacked effectively.

EXAMPLE:

- The only hack for Katia.xyz would be Kat.ia and I don't think there will ever be a domain hack for the name Bert. The is the strategy I adopted after learning a few things. Purchase short domains in .XYZ that cannot be Word Hacked in other extensions.

- My latest strategy is web development. I have a 200 to 300 domain portfolio based on my passions and I plan on building a network of high-quality websites. It will take 5 to 10 years but I am doing my best to build partnerships and hire the right people to help me get it done.

P.S. I have not published the list of domain names that I have reserved for development.

I now have a web-development 1st mentality for nGTLDs.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back