NameSilo

Will .xyz have any value now??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dipesh Singh

Account Closed
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The best names will, the ones registered today, no.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Just a creative way of marketing my friend, a very a good one.

Some people already explained why, just check the other threads about this topic out.

Nevertheless, do your own diligence at last.

You might reg' all the remaining mediocre ones and make some nice ROI with only 1 sale (which I think is not possible anymore since Uniregistry is overheated af and promotion ends tomorrow), but you also just can lose some pennies and waste your time, which is more likely.

•••
The .info registry did something similar for .info domains years ago by dropping the reg price to under $1 for a little while. It flooded the domain aftermarket with tons of crappy-quality .info listings, and for a while, .info domains became the favorite choice of scammers and spammers. In my estimation, the whole promotion, while it increased registration numbers immensely, dropped the perceived worth of all .info domains.

I don't think this is a good move for .xyz values, but it will give them a bigger piece of the gTLD market and promote .xyz brand recognition as more actual websites start using them.

•••
It will only make .xyz more spammy: good for the registry, bad for former .xyz domain owners

•••
Last edited:
•••
I regged Frontier today.

Nice, I actually saw that it dropped before. So, I was proven wrong, there are/were still some decent names to be taken.

•••
•••
like always.. some will sell most will not sell.

the good news is, when you are buying domains for 1cent each.. you do not give a crap about the ones that will not sell.

and which do or do not sell will in my view have nothing to do with promos or promo prices.

someone one day may simply want [domain].xyz for his site
and you will either have a sale if you own it.
or not have a sale if u do not own it.

it's really that simple. your potential future buyer will not care or know how or when you got your domain. he'll just want to own it. like all other endusers.

imo its absolutely pointless to say that whatever was regged today will never sell.

cheers

•••
True statement: Someone will win the lottery for tens of millions.
Another True Statement: Waste of time and money to play the lottery.

•••
True statement: Someone will win the lottery for tens of millions.
Another True Statement: Waste of time and money to play the lottery.

you're not all wrong there.

but I'm pretty sure there are more xyz domain sales each year thna lottery winners each year

either way, I'd still be loading up on lottery tickets if they were 1cent each..
I won't believe anyone who says they wouldn't

haha.hahahha

•••
if you buy an xyz for $0.01 and sell for 10$ you have got a return of 100000%

but you still made only $9.99.

Even Frank Schilling bought 40k xyz numerics. These will likely never see an end-user but possibly unloaded to an other speculator. Some years ago Berkens had a 40k .com portfolio and Schilling had a 200k portfolio. Now some buy 40k domains in bulk at once.

Speculators buy thousands of domains at a deep discount hoping to sell them to an other speculator still at a deep discount perhaps even much less than regular regfee.

The leading extensions cost now somewhere between $0.01 and $0.4 A domainer would probably be very happy if he could unload them with a 100% return in bulk that is still a fraction of a dollar per domain.

Domaining is getting weird.

Are end-users even playing this game or are there just domainers trading among themselves?

Last edited:
•••
You can pick a .xyz domain for just $0.01 or $0.02 or some were offering them even for free.

I also picked some 10-15 .xyz domains.

I wonder if they have any value? Will they even sell??

they never had any value

it was all hype.....

PainInTheAss.xyz

:)

•••
the good news is, when you are buying domains for 1cent each.. you do not give a crap about the ones that will not sell.
The problem is that your time is valuable (or that it should be)
The new extensions are a huge distraction because domainers are fighting for the leftovers that often would not sell in .com. The time spent looking for available domains is time that was diverted from more productive activities (like focusing on real extensions).
If domainers started to really account for the time spent, the awakening would be rude.

Your time is the biggest expense with cheap new TLDs

•••
The problem is that your time is valuable (or that it should be)
The new extensions are a huge distraction because domainers are fighting for the leftovers that often would not sell in .com. The time spent looking for available domains is time that was diverted from more productive activities (like focusing on real extensions).
If domainers started to really account for the time spent, the awakening would be rude.

Your time is the biggest expense with cheap new TLDs

well.. time is definitely an issue.. i was just referin to having some fun reg time for 1cent with minimal input time.. I am sure it's doable.

like u know.. u go to a cinema for 2 hors and have fun there.. and I sit here for 2 hours and reg xyz for 1 cent each.. type of thing..

at some point it all becomes subjective.. relative.. and not much worth talking bout really

but I do in essence agree that time is valuable and u don;t wanna spend 24 hours regging xyz for 1 cent ;)

cheers

•••
Have just sold the following at Namejet:

bloggers.xyz 05/20/2016 $69
appraisal.xyz 05/20/2016 $69
sofa.xyz 05/25/2016 $133
quote.xyz 05/26/2016 $300

Was instructed to transfer these domains to Enom account and from here Namejet will deliver the domains to the prospective buyers.

And to think I was about to drop them after hearing some negative comments from some pros around but decided anyway to renew. I guess one has just to follow his own instinct.

•••
Q Will .xyz have any value now?
A Not/w now/t.

Last edited:
•••
For someone with a limited budget, I think it is a very smart move to register every 1-word, 2-word brandable he can today for a penny each.

Put them all for sale at a low BIN, something between $49 and $495 and wait. Make sure auto-renew is off.

There is no risk and he might get lucky and sell a few names. For a newbie, it could be a nice way to learn the process of buying and selling without risking any money.

500 domains for $5? .. yeah for a newbie it is a good alternative.

Last edited:
•••
12 months goes by pretty fast, and all those $.02 assets will become $10 liabilities.

•••
12 months goes by pretty fast, and all those $.02 assets will become $10 liabilities.

That is exactly what the registrars are hoping for, its where they will make their money.

That is why people buying these crappy domains for a penny today have to make sure they set the auto-renew to off and they have to already accept to let them all expire and not fall in love with them.

•••
Put yourself in the shoes of someone who wants a domain for a website on a certain topic. They can use Godaddy's name suggestion tool, consider dozens of alternative extensions, add hyphens, extra words, numbers or even consider a moderately-priced aftermarket domain. But if they consider aftermarket domains at Godaddy Auctions, how many options are available with that keyword )including multi-word domains). Now what are the odds they will buy your domain priced at $$$ when there are so many options available?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back