NameSilo

information CEO: Namecheap “Most Likely” to Exit Afternic Network

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I don’t always check where my Afternic-sold domain names are transferred post-sale, but I have noticed quite a few transfer to Namecheap. This is because Namecheap is a part of Afternic’s network, and Afternic-listed domain names show up in the Namecheap registration search path.
Read More.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don’t always check where my Afternic-sold domain names are transferred post-sale, but I have noticed quite a few transfer to Namecheap. This is because Namecheap is a part of Afternic’s network, and Afternic-listed domain names show up in the Namecheap registration search path.
Read More.
It's funny @Bob Hawkes we were just talking about Namecheap and fast transfer and now this news.

•••
•••
If Namecheap does indeed leave, the Afternic partner network will lose a lot of monthly eyeballs, which could be detrimental to Sellers.

•••
Namecheap did de-prioritize Afternic for Sedo for a while and during that time I was getting about 10-15% of sales via Sedo/Namecheap.

It is not a good thing for sellers, as Sedo is notorious for having others listed unowned names and I am not managing to add about 14% of my names. And they don't care to fix it or make easier verification method like unique NS. So I'd be losing 5-10 sales a year because of this.

Now, NC reverted back to AN after using that as a negotiation chip for something, I assume.

And this "most likely" and mentioning Spaceship enrollment problems with AN tells me that it is another negotiation chip moment for him. He'd rather stick with AN as it performs better (the same problem that I mentioned above means NC has to deal with around 15% of names not being delivered, e.g.), but will go to Sedo if GD/AN keeps making it difficult...

My bet: they will figure it out, Spaceship will be become FT member, NC will stay with Afternic with 90% probability.

•••
In the meanwhile, it seems Dynadot has already de-prioritized Afternic feed of premium names.

Try searching for your .com without .com included and it will offer .xyz and other junk extensions, unless .com is available or you actually search with .com included.

Afternic's move towards integrating GD into everything, including the most basic search on the site, was bound to backfire at some point. It is still dominant for now, but the loss of market won't be gradual and can happen overnight if all other players are fed up.

•••
I have zero NameCheap domains.
Do this to Spaceship, i’ll have 0 Spaceship DNs.

Last edited:
•••
In the meanwhile, it seems Dynadot has already de-prioritized Afternic feed of premium names.

Try searching for your .com without .com included and it will offer .xyz and other junk extensions, unless .com is available or you actually search with .com included.

Afternic's move towards integrating GD into everything, including the most basic search on the site, was bound to backfire at some point. It is still dominant for now, but the loss of market won't be gradual and can happen overnight if all other players are fed up.
This is conjecture.
@Dynadot great relationship afternic Sedo, GD.

Dont change topics; NC deserves grief, if true. There is no justifying this pathetic decoupling with one of world’s largest sources of DN sales. Join the afternic network! (And i hate GD)

It helps, more than hurts. Same with Sedo MLS.

Last edited:
•••
This is conjecture.
@Dynadot great relationship afternic Sedo, GD.

Dont change topics; NC deserves grief, if true. There is no justifying this pathetic decoupling with one of world’s largest sources of DN sales. Join the afternic network! (And i hate GD)

It helps, more than hurts. Same with Sedo MLS.

Huh? Who said about bad relationships? It is a business. And everyone takes care of their interests... If Visa or Mastercard would start giving preferential treatment for one of big players in bank business, others would take a note. Afternic was supposed to be the "Visa" of domain sales for it to properly function... The other players could tolerate the ownership by the biggest player, but won't tolerate for long the favoritism.

•••
When I was selling domain names in Ebay, most buyer demanded the domains to be transfered to Godaddy. That was also happened when I sold through Efty and Afternic some years ago. Most my domains are not registered in Godaddy, because Godaddy prices are very expensive. But I got a conclusion that most end user buyers, (not domainers buyer those buying cheap domains for resale) mostly prefer using Godaddy for easily use as website, or may be trust Godaddy. I remembered to write "Registered in Godaddy" is powerful note in Title to sell domains at Ebay. Most Ebay sellers know it. The power of Afternic Network is Godaddy, where end user mostly like to register their domains at Godaddy.

Godaddy now has control at Afternic, but the new management moves to prioritize Afternic and killing the Godaddy Auction. This blunder has ruin the whole Godaddy marketplace ecosystem. The end users want Godaddy, not Afternic.

The other side, it is understandable that Name Cheap CEO prefers not using Afternic Namework, because most of domains bought through Afternic Network mostly be transfered to Godaddy. Might be from business sight, fee from Afternic Network sale is not attractive in the case the domains are transfered to Godaddy.

No matter you put your domains at Sedo, Afternic, Efty, Ebay, if the buyers are end users, and not domainers, they will demand the domains to be transfered to Godaddy

Last edited:
•••
Been using Namecheap for years without any issues, it's really a great registrar with good support. But losing Afternic FAST TRANSFER is a dealbreaker. Sales are few and far between and fast transfer is absolutely necessary. Hopefully they resolve the issue or it might be time to move on to another registrar.

It would be different if Namecheap really invested in their own marketplace and sales landers, but that never seemed to be the case. Does anyone use their landers/sales platform with success ?

•••
This is a loss for those who only list at Afternic only. NameCheap still supports Sedo.

NameCheap's Spaceship registrar will launch a marketplace - it's under upcoming on their roadmap:
1717775386804.png

•••
Namecheap did de-prioritize Afternic for Sedo for a while and during that time I was getting about 10-15% of sales via Sedo/Namecheap.

It is not a good thing for sellers, as Sedo is notorious for having others listed unowned names and I am not managing to add about 14% of my names. And they don't care to fix it or make easier verification method like unique NS. So I'd be losing 5-10 sales a year because of this.

Now, NC reverted back to AN after using that as a negotiation chip for something, I assume.

And this "most likely" and mentioning Spaceship enrollment problems with AN tells me that it is another negotiation chip moment for him. He'd rather stick with AN as it performs better (the same problem that I mentioned above means NC has to deal with around 15% of names not being delivered, e.g.), but will go to Sedo if GD/AN keeps making it difficult...

My bet: they will figure it out, Spaceship will be become FT member, NC will stay with Afternic with 90% probability.

I switch all DNS to sedo for.my names.. leave it there 24h... and next day all are verified and added... try it. hope to help

•••
If Namecheap does indeed leave, the Afternic partner network will lose a lot of monthly eyeballs, which could be detrimental to Sellers.
Will spaceship have afternic partnership even though they are owned by namecheap (I read the other day spaceship is soon going to add afternic ability)?

•••
Will spaceship have afternic partnership even though they are owned by namecheap (I read the other day spaceship is soon going to add afternic ability)?
I honestly have no idea how their (public) negotiations will end. Let's enjoy Summer and wait for a positive outcome, there is little we can do about it. 🌞

•••

No, this all started because Afternic wouldn’t add Spaceship as a FT registrar.

•••
No, this all started because Afternic wouldn’t add Spaceship as a FT registrar.

Seriously? Why wouldn't they want to add it? Is it too small or something (it's twice the size of epik btw)?

•••
•••
Why is spaceship so popular among domainers?

The interface is quite nice, owner is domain investor friendly, and they tend to have good prices/promos.

I only have about 30 names there (mostly cc because of promos) but am happy with them.

•••
Seriously? Why wouldn't they want to add it? Is it too small or something (it's twice the size of epik btw)?

Richard from Namecheap/Spaceship has tweeted a bit about it if you go digging. No real reasons given though. Just normal Godaddy games.

•••
•••
I switch all DNS to sedo for.my names.. leave it there 24h... and next day all are verified and added... try it. hope to help

My 14% unlisted is with that method. They don't care about changing dns... I gave up listing there as without NC they might be selling 1-2 names a year.

Not sure why they cannot implement a very simple method used by Dan, Afternic: a unique NS.

Anything else is problematic... I cannot add records to every name on GD, especially while having non-GD default nameservers. Especially, for 35400+ domains. @Sedo

Last edited:
•••
•••
This is a loss for those who only list at Afternic only. NameCheap still supports Sedo.

NameCheap's Spaceship registrar will launch a marketplace - it's under upcoming on their roadmap:
Show attachment 257779

Thanks, do you know if this is being released soon or is it just a "future feature"? Any examples of Spaceship "For Sale" landers in the wild yet or info on the commission fee?

•••
Thanks, do you know if this is being released soon or is it just a "future feature"? Any examples of Spaceship "For Sale" landers in the wild yet or info on the commission fee?
They have been working on it for more than a year. No update on the release.
Richard did mention that the commission will be the lowest (he didn't give the exact amount).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back