Dynadot

Will .xyz have any value now??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dipesh Singh

Account Closed
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like the xyz push, think of the low opportunity cost to try innovations in naming uses and solutions.

Its the price and the free option time to see if something works.

SO i like the one year test drive, and the fact they went ahead and paid the ICANN fees means they are truly doing everything possible ot constantly support the TLD.

I picture Daniel and his team like the steam engine operator, constantly pushing coal into the furnace to keep the fire going, keep it hot. Ye sit may burn on its own at some point but they arent waiting

off to register another 100 for the $22 uniregistry, is that the best deal out there?

Page Howe

intra.com had them for 2 cents earlier on but privacy was $10 , they were 2 cents without it, that offer has ended. I just googled 2 cent .xyz domains and they had an ad at the top of the page as a flash sale. I reckon a few registrars will drip feed the 2 cent offer throughout the month. They are 15 cents at namecheap all month. I found uniregistry way faster to register when everywhere was offering the 2 cent deal.

I agree I was expecting the ICANN fee to be added when I placed my first order, so I agree they they are really pushing the boat out and that deserves credit. I still think they need a more public orientated push for the name, I have no doubt 98% of these domains are in domainers hands right now and they need to be in end user hands to get the renewals.

•••
had bmw made alphabet.com available for google to buy google may have bought it or may be not

but the .xyz works well for google etc in as when google was founded they were at abc and now they are somewhere between abc and xyz but nowhere near the middle and will never get to xyz as they will always be working on new concepts and ventures etc google have probably only got as far as def in the abc - xyz of things

Daniel Negari bought .Car from Google a few years before they made the Alphabet announcement.

And I believe that Daniel Negari pitched them the idea of them re-naming their company Alphabet in order to use abc.xyz.

SIDE NOTE:
.xyz will be one of the 1st nTLDs approved in China, the most sought after market in the online tech industry. I don't think it's a coincidence.

•••
intra.com had them for 2 cents earlier on but privacy was $10 , they were 2 cents without it, that offer has ended. I just googled 2 cent .xyz domains and they had an ad at the top of the page as a flash sale. I reckon a few registrars will drip feed the 2 cent offer throughout the month. They are 15 cents at namecheap all month. I found uniregistry way faster to register when everywhere was offering the 2 cent deal.

I agree I was expecting the ICANN fee to be added when I placed my first order, so I agree they they are really pushing the boat out and that deserves credit. I still think they need a more public orientated push for the name, I have no doubt 98% of these domains are in domainers hands right now and they need to be in end user hands to get the renewals.

good point

if as suggested 98% of these domain names are in domainers hands right now when they should be in end users hands etc

what if google were to offer the same price on another probably better gtld many domainers would either have to sell at 2 cents ish price to free up investment capital to invest in the next google owned gtld or be stuck with 98% of xyz stock etc

google has effectively created a gtld stockmarket or will as it acquires more exclusive gtlds

•••
Daniel Negari bought .Car from Google a few years before they made the Alphabet announcement.

And I believe that Daniel Negari pitched them the idea of them re-naming their company Alphabet in order to use abc.xyz.

SIDE NOTE:
.xyz will be one of the 1st nTLDs approved in China, the most sought after market in the online tech industry. I don't think it's a coincidence.

i wouldn't be surprised if chinese investors didnt start to buy internet giants eg the likes of google etc

•••
its only a matter of time before google make an offer to buy unireg i reckon because unireg own some good gtlds which i reckon google want to own

and i reckon the conversation would go something like larry page saying to frank how much will it cost google?
and frank just putting the right amount of noughts on the end of a very desirable $figure i reckon if google were to make an offer for unireg etc i reckon the offer from google would be too irresistable to turn down

Purchasing Uniregistry would be smart move, but they should leave Frank Schilling at the helm. Sometimes companies crumble under new management, I don't want that to happen to Uniregistry.

•••
i wouldn't be surprised if chinese investors didnt start to buy internet giants eg the likes of google etc

But Google wouldn't sell in my opinion.

Larry Page makes a salary of $1.00 a year so he is definitely not in it only for the money (why wouldn't he pay himself more?).

•••
"Xyz developed sites are growing" give me a break. When was the last time any of you visited a website with .xyz? What percentage of sites that you actually visit use something other than .com, net, or org?
If these developed sites actually made a difference to anything, it wouldn't take the registry selling them for an amount I can get from the "take a penny leave a penny" at a gas station for people to finally justify buying one.

I visit PhilNews.xyz regularly. It is not the cream of the crop but it is a site I check on a regular basis.

•••

Google is also a public company and is sometimes listed as the most valuable company in the world (Apple vs. Google) so I don't think anyone will be buying it soon.

•••
I think this was only to generate some quick money for the present and with luck in the future.
It will be like selling free domains.

•••
as much as there is money in the new gtlds like .xyz etc i dont think its where the real money in domain names is

the money in domain names etc is for domain name financiers or brokers that will lend against almost any domain name and or domain name portfolio because only domainers understand the value of a domainers portfolio etc

because no where at present can a person raise $'s instantly by simply quoting a domain name that they own and obviously proving that they own etc and until there is an abundant amount of readily available domain name finance or a trade in facility where a person can simply trade in a domain for its reg fee to domain name investors that know how to sell it for more than reg fee thus creating the profit mark up etc - until this happens liquidity in the market may dry up due to the sheer amount of gtlds and amount of investment opportunity etc

•••
Purchasing Uniregistry would be smart move, but they should leave Frank Schilling at the helm. Sometimes companies crumble under new management, I don't want that to happen to Uniregistry.

what is uniregistry worth? bearing in mind the sheer volume of good quality domain names it holds etc

$2bn? + more? i dont know but it if the right pennies were offered frank could quite easily become extremely wealthy? and possibly hold a very senior role at google domains? managing his domains?

obviously conversations like this is purely pie in the sky and speculative at best and as far as i am concerned i am not aware google even has any interest in unireg etc only time will tell

but such a move would make google one of the major players in the domain name industry and google will almost certainly address the current problem that exists within the domain name industry eg the domainer takes full responsibility for trademark infringed domains which should not be the case

and especially with .xyz i reckon that if a person buys a trademark infringed .xyz domain name i wouldn't be surprised if google dont start offering a full refund to anyone buying one of their domain names from them that infringes a trademark and google resolving the trademark infringed domain name {inhouse} eg using googles own legal team in udrp panels etc thus giving domainers some reassurance when buying a domain name

•••

Larry Page makes a salary of $1.00 a year so he is definitely not in it only for the money (why wouldn't he pay himself more?).

google should never be sold well not just yet

but i reckon google could quite easily make public transport free globally and it wouldn't cost google or those that would use free public transport a cent

its so simple to do

•••
Google is also a public company and is sometimes listed as the most valuable company in the world (Apple vs. Google) so I don't think anyone will be buying it soon.

the problem is that if google ever became for sale i doubt anyone could run google like it is run today and its only the google most people love today due to its visionary founders

the money google generates is purely a byproduct from giving people what they want for free and having the most simple concept that always works and cannot not work eg that everyone wants their business at the top of their sector and that wont change this century or next

•••
Almost 6 million names?! WOW. This is WAY MORE than I had expected.

Still, there is some inflation going on here. I'm having a hard time getting a mid - high $XXX offers for keywords that would be 6-7 figures for the corresponding .COM :P

Nevertheless, this is exciting! Negari started something that all the domain community is talking about. Whether you like or dislike the extension.

•••
Almost 6 million names?! WOW. This is WAY MORE than I had expected.

Still, there is some inflation going on here. I'm having a hard time getting a mid - high $XXX offers for keywords that would be 6-7 figures for the corresponding .COM :P

Nevertheless, this is exciting! Negari started something that all the domain community is talking about. Whether you like or dislike the extension.

most tech entrepreneurs would still prefer the .com i reckon

•••
most tech entrepreneurs would still prefer the .com i reckon

I would say 100% :laugh:

It's not fair to even compare these yet. We'll see in 20 years from now (hopefully I'm still around then).

•••
.com's have already stood the test of time the new gtlds have yet to do so as good as they are

•••
•••

is sergey brin on that same $1.00 salary?

mind you they are worth around getting close to $40 bn each but for some reason larry is worth a billion ish more in forbes ranking

i would love to spend an hour discussing my ideas / concepts with larry page and srgey brin
{i should be so lucky} lol

•••
is sergey brin on that same $1.00 salary?

mind you they are worth around getting close to $40 bn each but for some reason larry is worth a billion ish more in forbes ranking

i would love to spend an hour discussing my ideas / concepts with larry page and srgey brin
{i should be so lucky} lol

Yeah, as far as I know he is on a $1.00 salary too. But it is a mere reflection of their position in life. Both of them have enough money to care more about the success of their company than the specific $USD's they receive from it.

My main point is that Google / Alphabet is their life's work, not just a superficial money generator that they would sell to the highest bidder.

But as I said, it is impossible to buyout Alphabet. It is a public company and the most valuable company in the world at that.

•••
Yeah, as far as I know he is on a $1.00 salary too. But it is a mere reflection of their position in life. Both of them have enough money to care more about the success of their company than the specific $USD's they receive from it.

My main point is that Google / Alphabet is their life's work, not just a superficial money generator that they would sell to the highest bidder.

But as I said, it is impossible to buyout Alphabet. It is a public company and the most valuable company in the world at that.

they are pretty much doing what most of would probably do if we had enough pennies to do and because they have the funds to invest in futuristic projects at will etc - and dont have to wait to recieve the profits from products sold to invest in their next project etc they can bring futuristic ideas to the here and now which allows them to concentrate on a variety of projects at the same time

•••
.XYZ is a hype extension worth exactly $0.00

the 1 cent reg. promotion is based on the premise that you will forget to turn OFF the auto-renew options, AND it is creating ZOMBIBIES!!(thank you Rich Schwartz)
When there is no real demand, YOU create DEMAND in this case by giving the crap away.

•••

the 1 cent reg. promotion is based on the premise that you will forget to turn OFF the auto-renew options, AND it is creating ZOMBIBIES!!(thank you Rich Schwartz)
When there is no real demand, YOU create DEMAND in this case by giving the crap away.

.XYZ is worth whatever someone is willing to pay and each url has a unique price. Just like .com, .net and .org.

The question is not whether or not .XYZ is a hyped TLD but whether or not that hype is sustainable. If there is an announcement like the abc.xyz announcement but in 2016 you better believe that hype will continue.

Google choosing abc.xyz was not a random occurance. Take a look for yourself. Daniel Negari purchased .car from them a few years earlier and the rest is history.

QUESTIONS:

- Why would Google sell .car to a small player like XYZ?

- What did Daniel give Google in exchange for their .car extension?

P.S. Speaking of Zombibies, what would a zombie modeled after Rick Schwartz say?

•••

Yeah right. I feel sorry for the poor souls that will post a year from now that they forgot to turn off autorenewal and have got a 100k invoice for their 10k .xyz domains that never got a single inquiry.

A similiar thing happened last year when .Berlin gave away free domains and someone got thousands.

The registrar had a policy of renewing first and sending you an invoice later and someone got, i think a high 4 figure or low 5 figure invoice for their worthless regs. The registrar hinted that they would take legal action if the registrant didn't pay. A nightmare for the registrant.

- Why would Google sell .car to a small player like XYZ?

Why wouldn't they? Isn't that how capitalism works? You sell to the highest bidder?

- What did Daniel give Google in exchange for their .car extension?

Most likely he gave them some money. I don't believe for a second that they gave him .car for abc.xyz.

Last edited:
•••
The question is not whether or not .XYZ is a hyped TLD but whether or not that hype is sustainable.

Hype is almost always temporary. Also the hype that we have seen was in the domainer community not in the end-user community. Without end-user sales the hype can not be sustained. Domainers won't just sell and buy among themselves forever if the sales don't happen.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back