question .xyz vs .app

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domains12345

Restricted (Market)
Impact
Which would you favour?

Hello.xyz or Hello.app?

Personally I would say app, purely because the masses know what an app is, where as xyz they would have no idea.

I am just wonder as I am trying to price a domain...

I have no idea about seo or any other factors.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.app is pretty self-explanatory like .org, .xyz is more generic like .com. Using "hello" in either is great, I would place more value on the .xyz because it's a standard renewal so you can sit tight for the right buyer, with the .app it pairs nicely though a more limited pool of buyers but also carries 1k renewal you don't want to carry it year over year.

ps. dot-app domains won't resolve unless https is enforced.

•••
Personally, I prefer.app extension.

•••
.app is pretty self-explanatory like .org, .xyz is more generic like .com. Using "hello" in either is great, I would place more value on the .xyz because it's a standard renewal so you can sit tight for the right buyer, with the .app it pairs nicely though a more limited pool of buyers but also carries 1k renewal you don't want to carry it year over year.

ps. dot-app domains won't resolve unless https is enforced.
.xyz has the premium pricing and renewals too

•••
yeah i think it depends on the same, I am paying 100 per year for a single english word .app

•••
Was referring specifically to "hello" tho believe OP was just using it as an example

•••
the .xyz is good if you want to future be flexible to pivot away from being an app or towards being more than an app
.xyz means nothing, like .com means nothing
so it makes it flexible. many tech companies use .xyz - even Square company is using Block.xyz - you can't go wrong with something completely generic. but definitely factor in premium renewals, if the domain has them.

•••
the .xyz is good if you want to future be flexible to pivot away from being an app or towards being more than an app
.xyz means nothing, like .com means nothing
so it makes it flexible. many tech companies use .xyz - even Square company is using Block.xyz - you can't go wrong with something completely generic. but definitely factor in premium renewals, if the domain has them.
Nice, yep.

Favour the extension that suits the project. Are you building solely an app, or a deeper site that will cater services and utility outside it's perceived function.

One might say, a domain is a domain is a domain. I think the extension matters, it correlates to the intention of the brand. This makes a difference in pricing too.

A global name like dot com, dot one, dot xyz has a greater buyer pool you have some leeway in expectations. When you have a more targeted extension like dot app, dot org you're squeezing juice into a smaller container. Something to consider in pricing and holding periods.

However, matching, or combos, can be extraordinary in targeted extensions and can really make an impact thus a positive buyer's reaction.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back