Domain Empire

Will .xyz have any value now??

Spaceship
Watch

Dipesh Singh

Account Closed
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domaining is like circus, they always have to come up with new tricks to keep the excitement going. But sales are not happening when you're dreaming.

•••
After watching the domain industry for quite a number of years. Here is a list I would go through , if I were an end user:
- Get the .com for your brand
- Get major /industry defining keywords in .com
- Get cctlds of your brand and keywords in cctlds (where you operate)
- Get .brand (although many large companies are already defaulting on this)
- Then comes the option to use these new gtlds in my opinion

This has applied to companies operating in many countries. The order of getting a .com and .cctlds maybe reversed.

Has anything changed for end user? Don't think so..many hypes have come and gone and if enough end users don't adopt it, they end the same

•••
The renewal fee will see all two words dropped. If enough xyz is developed sites there will be some value.
If all are still only domains at time of renewal the extension will suffer.

•••
The renewal fee will see all two words dropped. If enough xyz is developed sites there will be some value.
If all are still only domains at time of renewal the extension will suffer.

I can say for a fact that your statement is an exaggeration. I have a lot of 2 word domains that I plan on developing. I am sure that I am not the only one.

•••
Domaining is like circus, they always have to come up with new tricks to keep the excitement going. But sales are not happening when you're dreaming.
Speculation can be done any time.

•••
I can say for a fact that your statement is an exaggeration. I have a lot of 2 word domains that I plan on developing. I am sure that I am not the only one.
Problem is there are very less like you who are holding a bag full of .XYZ domain names and want to promote it somehow or the other. So being in a denial mode is not gonna cut it.

•••
I will be holding my one word 5L exact person name domains at xyz for a while, at least not selling in $xx.

•••
I might hold something else. Actually it is a part of my body as a male. I think I will hold that thing in my hand and wait for .XYZ to go up.

I will just hold my own hand. In this troubled times. :(

•••
IMO this helps the value of short one word .xyz, LLL and NNN etc.. Some short two word, maybe but that would come later.

.XYZ is doing what they do best, promote! This sale has just begun and well over 5 million domains registered to date. Although many being parked, parked domains get picked up by Google and other search engines and end users/general public see these links and the extension .xyz.

The more exposure .xyz get's in the eye of the public, interest will follow and that's with any extension but many don't have the drive that xyz appears to have.

.XYZ has been bought and paid for unlike many other new gTLD's, promotion is the key now and I'm glad they're ramping things up.

I don't see this hurting .xyz at all. :)

First, parked domains get picked up by Google? Can you give any example of .xyz domains getting picked up by Google and ranking, because that would be the only way the general public sees them. I don't think you can. And do you really want the public to see parked domains?

I'm not sure how people see this as a good thing. It seems it just keeps pushing back the inevitable, that domains regged at low cost, don't have great renewals. First it was under $2 for many months, then 1 cent, not looks like a lot of places have them at 22 cents. That looks like a discount, bargain bin extension to me. What's going to happen next year? I would say RIP to your investments in this extension, how could it help. I would be mad right now with how much they're selling them for.

I did make note of the Spamhaus stats, before this it was:
xyz = 23.2% bad

and it actually dropped to:
xyz = 7.3% bad

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

So looks like mostly domainers got these or spammers are overwhelmed with how many new domains they got and there is still time. At 22 cents, still the best deal out there.

Just want to throw this out there:

June 27 - .web auction date

I would be curious to those who have .xyz of your personal recent .xyz sales. Don't really recall seeing too much of that. It's been 2 years. Do you think it makes it easier or harder in selling them now with these low prices, knowing most are usually to other domainers, who can see what they're going for now?

I went back to take a look at .tk which is normally an example of an extension that is free and only a few reported lifetime sales and with good keywords you actually have to pay with them.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Ranking for something somebody will actually search for.

I didn't say that but did answer your question. I can say somehow end users do find them or I wouldn't get inquiries from GD parking. ;)

•••
I didn't say that but did answer your question. I can say somehow end users do find them or I wouldn't get inquiries from GD parking. ;)

Other domainers, not general public.

"The more exposure .xyz get's in the eye of the public, interest will follow"

The general public is usually exposed to new extensions via developed sites, not parked pages that only rank for terms nobody searches for.

•••
Other domainers, not general public.

"The more exposure .xyz get's in the eye of the public, interest will follow"

The general public is usually exposed to new extensions via developed sites, not parked pages that only rank for terms nobody searches for.

The topic is "will they loose value now" but not sure how you'd know since you don't even own .xyz but rather have been a hater since 2014! :rolleyes: Actually you don't even own any new gTLDs at all right? Just .com and .me?

No value has been lost, just more exposure, period. :P

•••
The topic is "will they loose value now" but not sure how you'd know since you don't even own .xyz but rather have been a hater since 2014! :rolleyes: Actually you don't even own any new gTLDs at all right? Just .com and .me?

No value has been lost, just more exposure, period. :P

Would you agree that spammers/scammers like the cheapest domains they can get their hands on? As far as exposure, touched on that above. For the public, you need quality development.

•••
Would you agree spammers/scammers like the cheapest domains they can get their hands on?

JB please my inbox is full of .com spam every morning when I check my mail, My DN site is spammed by yahoo.com email addresses constantly. I've even had to block some cctld extensions due to spam registrations.

Spam is every where and not just cheap reg promotions. The good thing is .xyz is not so big yet that you can't report to them if you're having a spam issue. Personally I've received no xyz spam to date.

•••
But you don't disagree with it. It makes sense they would go for the cheapest, regardless of extension.

I'll leave it at this. I don't believe anybody who invests in (insert any extension) and then that extension drops the price points to under $2, 1 cent, 2 cent, 22 cent etc., is happy about it. They might pretend to be because they have some domains to sell. I can't think why that would help the value.

•••
But you don't disagree with it. It makes sense they would go for the cheapest, regardless of extension.

I'll leave it at this. I don't believe anybody who invests in (insert any extension) and then that extension drops the price points to under $2, 1 cent, 2 cent, 22 cent etc., is happy about it. They might pretend to be because they have some domains to sell. I can't think why that would help the value.

What I believe is the people that got in early, registered premium names etc., no drop in value despite the promotion. People that are registering names now are picking up a lot of really bad stuff just because it's cheap. FYI I haven't hand registered an xyz in a long long time and this promotion didn't inspire me to reg any.

I have been buying xyz for-sale, aged. But I believe in it and you don't which is fine ;)

Spam is another thread, it's gonna happen despite the extension.

•••
JB please my inbox is full of .com spam every morning when I check my mail, My DN site is spammed by yahoo.com email addresses constantly.
I have never received one single legitimate E-mail from a .top or .xyz address. Not a single time. Only spam. Don't tell me there isn't a problem.

I've even had to block some cctld extensions due to spam registrations.
Interesting. I am considering doing the same against new extensions. I have more to gain than lose doing this.

Last edited:
•••
I have never received one single legitimate E-mail from a .top or .xyz address. Not a single time. Only spam. Don't tell me there isn't a problem.

Interesting. I am considering doing the same against new extensions. I have more to gain than lose doing this.

Well we all know too you hate new gTLDs, fine. Since I'm not receiving all this xyz and top spam please share and backup your comments on what you're receiving. I look forward to you backing this comment up!

As for blocking cctlds, it's not email but rather registrations joining one of my sites.

For now I'd really like to see this spam you're being bothered with, or are you just blowing smoke?;)

•••
Good do it then you didn't waste your money.

•••

At my day job we have a bulk catch-all email account to receive and track the source of responses from various advertisements we run. The emails addresses in these ads are quickly harvested and result in huge amounts of spam (2-5k daily) received by the catch-all account every day of the week. Thankfully we have some pretty good spam software that keeps all but a couple of hundred of them from actually reaching the inbox.

For the last few months a large part (a third or more???) of our spam has been coming from .top, .download, and .click which has made it easy to avoid the spam just by blocking these extensions entirely -- they will never reach the inbox. I still review the spam logs a couple of times a week for good measure, but I have yet to see a single legitimate email from any of these extensions. (why can't all spam be this easy and obvious?!?!?)

As of this week, I've noticed for the first time a good portion of .xyz spam has started to appear and have added the extension to our blacklist.

•••
At my day job we have a bulk catch-all email account to receive and track the source of responses from various advertisements we run. The emails addresses in these ads are quickly harvested and result in huge amounts of spam (2-5k daily) received by the catch-all account every day of the week. Thankfully we have some pretty good spam software that keeps all but a couple of hundred of them from actually reaching the inbox.

For the last few months a large part (a third or more???) of our spam has been coming from .top, .download, and .click which has made it easy to avoid the spam just by blocking these extensions entirely -- they will never reach the inbox. I still review the spam logs a couple of times a week for good measure, but I have yet to see a single legitimate email from any of these extensions. (why can't all spam be this easy and obvious?!?!?)

As of this week, I've noticed for the first time a good portion of .xyz spam has started to appear and have added the extension to our blacklist.

That is a good point. If some extensions are blocked by default end-users will avoid them.

No business wants an extension that some email providers block. If XYZ domain spam starts to appear in the search results Google might decide to lower the rankings of .XYZ sites since they are more likely to be low quality spam.

.TK domains are so bad that all are blocked by parking feed providers by default. Google refuses to monetise that extension. I wouldn't be surprised if .TK domains are less likely to rank well in search results.

The lesson from this. No serious business will want to be associated with these extensions.

•••
This post should be stickied. :)

•••
I honestly don't see how .xyz is useful anymore these days. Sure, it's cool for those little domain hacks like abc.xyz, or a one letter domain, i.xyz, or even an OG .xyz, like Pond.xyz. Other than that, you loose the professional appeal that you're probably looking for, and I honestly don't see any point. I do own a few, but those are mostly just domains that I redirect to other things, sort of like an internet bookmark, since they're so cheap with Namecheap's .15 cents per domain sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back