NameSilo

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First off its only been one day.
Some people dont check their email for days others may need time to think about it.
On my last sale the person didn't send their first reply to me for almost 3 weeks after I first emailed them.

And it is important to keep your email short and sweet. I dont put a price in the email so that that have to ask me how much.
And as others have said its a numbers game.

I think I remember Federer once saying out of several hundred emails for just one domain he may get a few replies and maybe one sale per domain.

Maybe you are right about it only being one day since I sent the emails. I just know that the couple of times I have been successful selling, someone would respond within a couple of hours.

It is tedious work gathering those email address (dealing with private registrations and contact forms, etc.) and if you don't get a response it is very discouraging. I must have spent 5-6 hours getting the email addresses!

•••
•••
There are many variables: time sent, subject line, email , domain quality, etc.

I've received emails 2 months after the initial email(even after I've already sold the domain).

I normally send the emails late at night so the recipients can have them first thing in the morning.

For the subject line, I use the keywords of the domain or the name of the industry along with "website question and comment." (Such as School Uniforms Website question and comment)

The domain is AffordableSchoolUniforms dot com, which is not great quality, but should be worth a couple of hundred bucks to someone who sells school uniforms.

Last edited:
•••
posted by nohbdyduzitbett:
I must have emailed 100 owners ...

I must have spent 5-6 hours getting the email addresses!

There's no point shotgunning it. The "numbers/luck" approach is just making a full time job out of busywork, that feels like real work but isn't. I say "10-30 prospects" a lot, but honestly, I don't think I've ever actually sent a single domain to more than 20 prospects. I'm sure that there are more than 20 prospects out there; I just don't see that there is much point in trying to find them -- if you want to get it in front of numbers, post it up on SEDO and promote the link. If you want to get it in front of serious potential end users, you have to consider that most companies and inviduals do not own a bunch of domain names, even if that might be something that would benefit them. So just because a prospect might have one domain similar or related to yours, does not make it a quality prospect.

Also, just my own opinion, but if you can dig up 100 prospects in 5 hours, these are crap prospects. Even with a somewhat streamlined system in place, it generally takes me 10-15 minutes to run through some basic screening (are they spending money on advertising at this keyword, do they own multiple related domains, are the domains developed or parked or redirected etc.) and then come up with reliable point-of-contact info on an actual human with a name (vs. "IT Department" or whatever) for that prospect. I could be wrong of course, but it's just hard to imagine how you could come up with 100 prospects worth pitching in that timeframe, unless the domain was something killer.

Frank

•••
Yesterday, I tried to pitch the domain AffordableSchoolUniforms[.]com to end users in that industry. I made sure to send emails to owners of active websites, not to other domainers or owners of parked domains. I know that AffordableSchoolUniforms[.]com is not a premium domain, but I was pitching it to owners of domains such as girls-school-uniforms[.]info, halfpriceschooluniforms[.]com, etc. My domain is a definite upgrade over those names.
Eveything is relative :)
I guess the owners have the domains that they have because they were not willing to buy on the aftermarket. Just because their current domains are not too great doesn't they are easy targets.

Also, I am willing to pay a commission to someone willing to pitch my domains to end users. I am looking for someone who had multiple successful sales to end users in the past. Please PM me if interested.
There are no brokers for low-value domains. Even if charging 50% of your asking price of $300, it's not worth the time and effort.

It is tedious work gathering those email address (dealing with private registrations and contact forms, etc.) and if you don't get a response it is very discouraging. I must have spent 5-6 hours getting the email addresses!
That begs the question: is it worth peddling low-value domains ?
Make your time and effort worthwhile, for your own benefit and that of the potential buyers.

•••
BINGO.

Success rate of receiving replies to emails sent late at night are extremely little. It's no wonder you received no replies. Companies get a load of emails. All you did was sent yours early & had a load piled over top of them.

Best time to pitch is around 9-10am ET (no later) or 8-9am (no earlier). Then, your email will be near the top when ppl go in to read their email.

If you can get 1 reply outta 100 emails sent at night, then you're a very lucky guy :) Send them MORNING ONLY ;)

I normally send the emails late at night so the recipients can have them first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
•••
I dont think quantity matters as much as quality. There needs to be a balance not gibberish advice about sending out a hundred emails and you'll be sure to sell your name!

Make sure you know that your domain name is quality first.

I think that's the hardest thing to teach! You sort of just have to have a knack for it!

•••
Business Specific Domain

I have a domain that I was developing for a local business, but the owner has yet to pay me for any work. I noticed there are several other businesses with this name and have decided to sell it.

I found 1 email and only phone numbers. What is the best way to go about selling a domain in this situation?

•••
Having only 1 email address hurts But I'd shoot an email off, just in case. After, if needed, cold-call. Really, your options are little.

I have a domain that I was developing for a local business, but the owner has yet to pay me for any work. I noticed there are several other businesses with this name and have decided to sell it.

I found 1 email and only phone numbers. What is the best way to go about selling a domain in this situation?

•••
How would you guys approach this.

Company has a domain that is company-name.com. So they have the hyphenated version of the two keywords. I have the companyname.com non-hhyphenated version of the domain.

If you were me would you email this company and ask if they want to buy the non-hyphenated version? Or am I barking up the wrong tree by approaching them? This domain is two generic terms keyword terms.

•••

Company has a domain that is company-name.com. So they have the hyphenated version of the two keywords. I have the companyname.com non-hhyphenated version of the domain.

If you were me would you email this company and ask if they want to buy the non-hyphenated version? Or am I barking up the wrong tree by approaching them? This domain is two generic terms keyword terms.

As long as there are no TM issues, that's the tree you definitively want to bark up. :).

•••
Say you own sandiegolawyer dawt com is it ok to contact lawyers in that town via email to see if they want that domain? I don't own that domain I was just using it as an example.

•••
Say you own sandiegolawyer dawt com is it ok to contact lawyers in that town via email to see if they want that domain? I don't own that domain I was just using it as an example.

Yes, but it all depends on how you go about it. Sending a spammy mass email is NEVER a good idea.

•••

Ohhhhhhhh MY, Your domain is far superior to what he has..GO FOR IT! He'll be your friend for life. Don't email him, call the company. I don't know how big the company is, but I'm sure he'd want it

•••

Actually one of my domain search and acquiring tactics is to specifically looking for .coms in auction platforms (Godaddy, snap, etc.) where the .net/org/biz/etc. and/or the hyphenated ones are registered by one or several companies, then offer the better domain to them.
But i also look if there is any history in archive.org for the domain, because sometimes one of those companies already owned that name and dropped it, so it doesn't make sence to offer a name to them which they dropped themselves.
Also the name must have some value on its own (without considering the chance to sell to owners of other extensions), because if non of them buys the name from you, you can at least sell it to other endusers or resellermarket.

•••
I want to email prospective clients for some of very good domains I own. I do not have dedicated office/business address. I do not want to provide my home address in the email. Can I give PO Box address in the email. Is it considered "SPAM" to send an email with PO Box address?

I would appreciate input from experienced folks here.

thanks...

•••
I want to email prospective clients for some of very good domains I own. I do not have dedicated office/business address. I do not want to provide my home address in the email. Can I give PO Box address in the email. Is it considered "SPAM" to send an email with PO Box address?

I would appreciate input from experienced folks here.

thanks...

Yes its spammy.
If your home address is in the whois of your domain then just use your home address.
That way it looks more legit.

•••

I list my PO Box in all my emails and (to the best of my knowledge) it's never been an issue.

My PO Box is listed in the whois as well.

•••
A PO box makes you look like a scammer. If you refuse to provide a physical address, the prospective buyer will wonder, "Why? What does he have to hide?" Under NO circumstance should you EVER use a PO box.

•••
A PO box makes you look like a scammer. If you refuse to provide a physical address, the prospective buyer will wonder, "Why? What does he have to hide?" Under NO circumstance should you EVER use a PO box.
That's funny because I've NEVER had any such concern brought to my attention, and I make sales every week. To each his own, I suppose.

•••
Well, honestly, most ppl likely don't bring it up. Really, if they feel as though they were dealing with a bad person, they'll just ignore you completely. This would, in essence, never be brought to your attention.

I suppose the real factor here is price. If you were trying to sell a domain with a $20 price tag, I really don't think anyone would care about PO box thing. But if you were trying to get, say, a $500 sale, then the buyer will be wary if you don't put yourself out in the open. So I guess I should change that statement:

If you're looking for a small sale, use a PO box if ya want. But if you want a big sale, don't do anything that'll make the buyer second-guess you.

That's funny because I've NEVER had any such concern brought to my attention, and I make sales every week. To each his own, I suppose.

•••
Well, honestly, most ppl likely don't bring it up. Really, if they feel as though they were dealing with a bad person, they'll just ignore you completely. This would, in essence, never be brought to your attention.

I suppose the real factor here is price. If you were trying to sell a domain with a $20 price tag, I really don't think anyone would care about PO box thing. But if you were trying to get, say, a $500 sale, then the buyer will be wary if you don't put yourself out in the open. So I guess I should change that statement:

If you're looking for a small sale, use a PO box if ya want. But if you want a big sale, don't do anything that'll make the buyer second-guess you.
Again: to each his own. And you have a point that if someone takes issue with my using a PO Box, I may never know it. I'm just saying that I've been listing a PO Box in my emails all year and have never had the issue brought to my attention by potential buyers. From my experience they've been quite comfortable mailing a check to my PO Box, or paying me by PayPal. And I'm not talking about $20 sales, I'm talking $200 - $1000 sales.

If someone's interested in my domain, but concerned about being scammed, they can simply pick up the phone, give me a call and I'll put their mind at ease.

Last edited:
•••
Glad to know it works for you. This reminds me of a guy who once said that he made hundreds of dollars selling domains on eBay. I told him that I pitied him: if a person could sell domains for a good profit on eBay, imagine how much potential $ he lost by selling on such a lowball/near worthless platform.

In a similar vein: I think you might be losing potential buyers from using a PO box. If it works for you, great. But it might be limiting your potential.

Just my 2 cents.

Again: to each his own. And you have a point that if someone takes issue with my using a PO Box, I may never know it. I'm just saying that I've been listing a PO Box in my emails all year and have never had the issue brought to my attention by potential buyers. From my experience they've been quite comfortable mailing a check to my PO Box, or paying me by PayPal. And I'm not talking about $20 sales, I'm talking $200 - $1000 sales.

If someone's interested in my domain, but concerned about being scammed, they can simply pick up the phone, give me a call and I'll put their mind at ease.

Last edited:
•••
If you are going to use a PO Box, if you can and if they are available in your area look for a private PO Box company and see if they use "Suites" instead of "PO".

That way it looks more like a business address.
I used a company years ago that used Suite instead of PO and it worked out great.

•••
if a person could sell domains for a good profit on eBay, imagine how much potential $ he lost by selling on such a lowball/near worthless platform.

don't agree :)

I sold names on ebay for 50$ - 100$ which probably would have been sold on NP for 1$.

Again ,"To each his own" is probably correct :blink:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back