NameSilo

Good Registrars to use in 2024?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Studio99

Impact
I am a noob. I've skimmed articles and reviews - and nothing seems to be clear when it comes to good registrars. Some seem to be over-priced. Some seem to change the cost of renewing your domain. This bothers me if I read it right. A normally $10~15 a year domain can be turned into a Premium Domain by the Registrar on a whim, and suddenly, it a $300 or $3000 domain to renew???

Can that happen to anyone? Or to any company that is using their domain name for their business?

Do ALL registrars do this? If not, which ones do or do NOT raise the price on Registrations?

Which ones are better to use?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A normally $10~15 a year domain can be turned into a Premium Domain by the Registrar on a whim, and suddenly, it a $300 or $3000 domain to renew???

Registrars don't have any control over the price class of a domain. It's the registries that decide if a domain is standard or premium. In fact, if it ever happens to you, your registrar is the only party that's likely to give you information about what's going on.

Can that happen to anyone? Or to any company that is using their domain name for their business?

It's not supposed to happen and it's not common. If you're concerned about it, stick to .com.

Do ALL registrars do this? If not, which ones do or do NOT raise the price on Registrations?

Virtually none of the registrars raise prices on a whim and they can't get away with any significant price increases. There are a lot of registrars and healthy competition between them. It's the only part of the industry that works well for registrants.
  • Registries control the TLDs and set the wholesale prices. They don't deal directly with consumers.
  • Registrars provide registration services. They have small margins and deal directly with consumers to provide domain management, support, etc..
  • Registrants are the consumers that register domains.
You probably read my thread about my domain being reclassified. Both Porkbun and Namecheap have given me far more support than I'd say they're obligated to for that issue. Porkbun isn't even the registrar for the domain and went above and beyond to get me historical information about the original registration since I originally registered it with them.

Last edited:
•••
Registrars don't have any control over the price class of a domain. It's the registries that decide if a domain is standard or premium. In fact, if it ever happens to you, your registrar is the only party that's likely to give you information about what's going on.

It's not supposed to happen and it's not common. If you're concerned about it, stick to .com.

Virtually none of the registrars raise prices on a whim and they can't get away with any significant price increases. There are a lot of registrars and healthy competition between them. It's the only part of the industry that works well for registrants.
  • Registries control the TLDs and set the wholesale prices. They don't deal directly with consumers.
  • Registrars provide registration services. They have small margins and deal directly with consumers to provide domain management, support, etc..
  • Registrants are the consumers that register domains.
You probably read my thread about my domain being reclassified. Both Porkbun and Namecheap have given me far more support than I'd say they're obligated to for that issue. Porkbun isn't even the registrar for the domain and went above and beyond to get me historical information about the original registration since I originally registered it with them.

Namecheap looks pretty good and straightforward. I hate having to use Network solutions, which I'm about to move my client to another Registrar. (Another reason why I am asking) - every time I have to use Network Solutions, it's like pulling teeth. They scammed him out of hundreds for a service they didn't provide and about $400 for a service he wasn't using. I didn't know about it. He had changed his credit cards, so NS called him on the phone to update the info. That's when I looked over his whole account and found issues.

It was likely your thread. So ICANN (others?) can reclassify a domain's value that is already "owned" by someone?

With your experience with NameCheap (Not a great sounding name BTW), do you find their service to be very good without games/scams?

Last edited:
•••

All of my domains are .com pretty much. So that should keep things simple.

•••
Last edited:
•••
@Dynadot
Afternic fast transfer and Sedo MLS; private com, best UX imo, and even auctions! Did you know, Dynadot is namepros Registrar of the year?

They also have great support; @Caleb Tweed
I guess I know now. :)

I did a domain appraisal with them just now because of your suggestion. GoDaddy said $1,2** and now $1,633 for one of my domains. Dynadot says $14,000. - which to me, is closer to reality based on other names I've seen for sale.

•••
“Premium renewals” new ext scams; dont exist if you stick with .com, regardless of registrar.

Avoid Registrars with expensive .com renewals: Love https://tldes.com/com .com price comps.

And remember about other features (Sedo MLS & afternic FT for most exposure, UX and support)

Last edited:
•••
#2 NameSilo has both; but more expensive .com; Not highest price; but adds up; still my #2 but can #3 if the next one i mention adds Sedo MLS.

#3 Porkbun great one; but dont have Sedo MLS sadly, just Afternic FT. Still great; many like PB, for .com prices and support.

#4 Spaceship too new; and losing trust with me, despite cheapest —no FT/MLS and doubt will after they told us — They likely not getting FT.

Last edited:
•••
So ICANN (others?) can reclassify a domain's value that is already "owned" by someone?

Not ICANN. Think of ICANN like a regulator or a mediator. The registry determines whether a domain is a standard domain or a premium domain. I've learned that it's more accurate to describe premium domains as non-standard, but everyone calls them premium domains and that's what they're marketed as.

The kind of reclassification that happened to my domain is not supposed to be allowed. Or at least that's what everyone thought.

With your experience with NameCheap (Not a great sounding name BTW), do you find their service to be very good without games/scams?

I've only used them for domains, so I don't have an opinion on any of the other services. They have a good delegated admin system for domains. If your managing things for small business customers, it can be difficult to structure things to be in the best interest of your customer. The delegated admin can help with that.

They have a limit of 150 dynamic DNS entries if you're using their DNS, which I've run into, but not many people will hit that.

I haven't seen anything from Namecheap that I would consider a scam. There are a couple of things I dislike, but they're not specific to Namecheap. I'd say avoid blockchain / crypto domains unless you understand what you're getting. I also avoid 3rd level domains like example.in.net. I don't understand the rules for those well enough to explain, which is also the reason I avoid them.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for info. My main business of something else (not Domaining). In the past, I've simply let domains I didn't care about, expire. How foolish of me.

Using the Dynadot info gave me interesting numbers. Even a typo/named domain for my company being $14k. And one I've had for 25+ years is $20k+? (defunct project) . But $10k for an ex's domain (we had planned together) that I own. That'll be funny to sell, especially since she tattooed it. :xf.rolleyes::ROFL:

Looks like I can put the ones I want to sell on Sedo.com, I see the Sedo on many posts here.

•••
#2 NameSilo has both; but more expensive .com; Not highest price; but adds up; still my #2 but can #3 if the next one i mention adds Sedo MLS.

#3 Porkbun great one; but dont have Sedo MLS sadly, just Afternic FT. Still great; many like PB, for .com prices and support.

#4 Spaceship too new; and losing trust with me, despite cheapest —no FT/MLS and doubt will after they told us — They likely not getting FT.
We're working on it!

•••
@Studio99

Here are the best registrars in 2024:

Porkbun
Namecheap
Spaceship
Dynadot

I have never had a problem with any of these registrars so far. Among these 4, I will always choose whichever registrar offers the best price at the time. I always use Namecheap for shared web hosting too. I would stay away from all other registrars whenever possible.

There are a few caveats: Spaceship is kind of new. Namecheap, Spaceship, and Dynadot support is 24/7, whereas Porkbun's support is limited to business hours. I did have an issue with Namecheap regarding their shared web hosting recently. Currently, I have 2 shared web hosting plans with them and recently 1 of the servers has been getting supposedly DDOSed according to Namecheap support. (I suspect there is a chance that it is a bad actor who is sharing the server, but it might also have to do with the conflict between Russia and the Ukraine.) Namecheap's support for this issue has been lacklustre for the most part. This is really the only issue I have had with any of these registrars over the years.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Notably, Dynadot is slipping a bit in my books. Been struggling to log in to my account lately for the first time ever. I think they might have banned specific VPN IPs.

•••
If you concern about price, Namecheap, Porkbun and Dynadot are good choices. If you concern about simplicity to use everything (email, website, marketplace) Godaddy is the best. In Godaddy .xyz and .top are very cheap, so I choose Godaddy for those domains

•••
If you concern about price, Namecheap, Porkbun and Dynadot are good choices. If you concern about simplicity to use everything (email, website, marketplace) Godaddy is the best. In Godaddy .xyz and .top are very cheap, so I choose Godaddy for those domains
Porkbun and namecheap are pretty straightforward. Spaceship is a bit unconventional, but still fairly straightfoward.

•••
If you concern about price, Namecheap.
I’m going to have to stop you there.
NameCheap has a bloated .com renewal cost. Spaceship (NameCheap-owned) better than NC.

Dynadot, Porkbun are excellent; bonafide top-2. -Avoid NameCheap. Spaceship is better than NC.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm finding Namecheap UI to be a bit easier + hosting.

I'm working on doing listings on Sedo and Dynadot. Sedo seems easier to work with.

•••
My faves are Dynadot, Porkbun, Sav, and Spaceship. All are reasonably priced for .com's and have good enough websites (with Dynadot being the best UI).

•••
I dont trust Dynadot, Porkbun, Sav, Spaceship.

Dynadot and Sav always after domain expiration drops domain to marketplace.
Porkbun requires ID for registration account and drop you for first abuse mail.
Spaceship asks ID to verify your account after registration at any time when you use coupon.

For safe and long-time domain registration I choose a Misk.com

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I had a big problem with namesilo, and found Namecheap to be expensive when converted to AUD and I hate their interface. I like @InternetBS because their interface is uncluttered, they don’t have a ton of intrusive upsells and they have never screwed up my account. Their customer service is also good. I also like that I can choose to pay in different currencies

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back