advice Feeling Insulted

SpaceshipSpaceship
NamecheapNamecheap
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Bonsu

Top Member
Impact
2,657
I have never felt this stupid and insulted in my life.
I hand registered a domain 10 November 2017 parked it with bodis.com and decided to watch traffic. The domain is a city.tld (name removed) and after noticing the traffic from America I decided to do outbound 2 weeks ago, contacted end users I feel would benefit from this domain.
In less than an hour one of them replied asking for the price and so I made some enquiries with some np members: @Jurgen Wolf, @jide ofor asking for the best price so I don't call a silly price as I usually do and miss the sale. After consultation I replied the young man with a HIGH $××× bit left room for negotiation. He replied back in less than 10 min that he was thinking of $500 which would have been fine by me. However I didn't want to accept immediately so I told him we'do come down by $200 since it wasn't in his budget and I contacted him but he didn't reply.

Gave him 3 days break and contacted him again that I've not heard from him that if he was still interested we will consider his offer and he should decide which payment plan is fine by him: PayPal, escrow or payoneer escrow... no reply.

I had a feeling he stopped replying possibly because he realised I was contacting him from Nigeria. I even sent a mail telling him I'd transfer the domain to him first if he wants then he pays after he receives it but he'd have to open a name.com account..... no reply... So I stopped felt maybe week days wasn't his thing..

At the weekend again I contacted him asking what his concern was that if he changes his mind I'd list the domain on afternic.com & Godaddy explaining that it is a domain market place.... voila!!! He replied that godaddy is good however his budget is $100 I countered and he agreed to pay $300 asking for how to proceed with godaddy (this is the saddest part: I tried listing it on godaddy and realised the tld .pro wasn't accepted there so I contacted buyer telling him that he should use afternic as it is a godaddy marketplace even given him how to search for the relationship between afternic and godaddy and so he stopped replying...

I was working extra hours at work and decided to give it one last try and if he didn't reply I would strike him off my list and so I contacted him and he replied saying he scared he would get scammed that he'd prefer I call him if I am legit... immediately I picked up my office line and called him introduced myself that it's been me mailing him all this while and he didn't allow me to finish before he asked that what country code was this and I told him Nigeria and he said "no no no f*** off" and ended the call. I called back and he has barred my number. So I sent him a mail that if he felt scammed already he shouldn't have told me to call and I would respect his decision and so I greeted him farewell......

I was so embarrassed... why did he not say from the on set. Why did he say I should call him? So it's a crime course we are Nigeria? I receive many mails from Americans claiming they are forex agents and crypto *** I choose not to reply... I don't insult or treat them badly. I feel highly disappointed at the way an educated guy would act in such an unruly manner......
 
28
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
The buyer was never in any danger. They just didnt know how buying a domain works.

Me, i dont care if a seller is from Mars. If they have a name i want or need, i can buy it safely.

This buyer just didnt know.
 
3
•••
1- if he was thinking about $500 why did you lower the price to $200 yourself without him asking...
he didn't reply for a week it was when he replied he asked to lower the price and we agreed at $300
 
3
•••
I would just get the domain up with a buy now. Sedo, Flippa, Undeveloped, Name Silo....whatever. then when its all set, maybe send an email notifying ALL buyers that have expressed interest that the domain is available with Buy Now on whatever site
I have this name in all the listed marketplaces and I state that to him.
The price was $1000 in the marketplace and I told him I'd change the price to our agreed $300 so he can buy it from there. He wanted go daddy out of all the marketplaces but .pro wasn't accepted
 
3
•••
the listings not being ready and saying yes then it didn't work.. another reason it creates suspicion.
I thought afternic listing would reflect on go daddy that's why I suggested it as per comments from threads on namepros. But when I typed in the domain of godaddy it said "this domain is on auction which might cost more, why not choose from related names" then a list of domino with the keyword was listed with their prices....
 
2
•••
Ya... just wasn't meant to be.. maybe it's a sign to keep that domain and get a higher price..
 
5
•••
I thought afternic listing would reflect on go daddy that's why I suggested it as per comments from threads on namepros. But when I typed in the domain of godaddy it said "this domain is on auction which might cost more, why not choose from related names" then a list of domino with the keyword was listed with their prices....
I just rechecked it on GoDaddy... and it is displayed for me at $300...

p.s. Unserious buyer... I meet such bidders regularly...
p.p.s. And price is abnormally low (as for enduser)... like gift.
 
5
•••
Its the world we live in.

The deal is 99% dead.

Much of sales is about image.

One quick story...
I like to play pool. I compete at a semi pro level. I cant play pro because i like my career. I coach newer players too. During their matches they are allowed to call time out and get advice from their coach. The biggest problem is that they call time out two shots too late.

You did the right thing reaching outto other members but i would have advised against you having a phone conversation.

You completely lost control of the deal and were giving away money too. You need to be prepared. You just werent ready.

Heres the good news...it was only $300. It could have been $3000. You are a good domainer. I have seen you work. But you need to prepare for actual sales. Youre not a victim here. Its takes only one wrong syllable to kill a deal sometimes. Just fix it . Peace :)
 
Last edited:
11
•••
Afternic listings are not instant... they need some time to be approved and propagated...
 
Last edited:
2
•••
Afternic listings are not instant... they need some time to be approved and propagated...
As of now it is displayed correctly on GoDaddy.
Theres his 1% chance. :)
 
2
•••
Sounds like the domain will sell itself.
 
4
•••
3
•••
2
•••
@Bonsu
And properly update nameservers for your domain...
Via WHOIS I see the incorrect mix of Bodis and name.com's NS...
 
1
•••
So 95% that this buyer even didn't see your Bodis page with fixed price...
 
3
•••
Take heart>

Many ignorant fellas out there when it comes to stereotyping and vilifying a group, community or nation with the same paintbrush. There are as many bad in every nation but while others are tagged with unwarranted publicity others remain as though they are sinless by nature.

Thick skin and be forewarned that there are many ignorant people out there and their tantrums will affect you in the least.

Avoid phone calls if possible even when requested as it does nothing significant to change the perspective of any doubting Thomas. Direct them to trusted platforms and if the sale is meant to happen then it will.
 
7
•••
1> Replying or sending counter offers too fast just let the buyer knows you are hopeless. Keeping calm in your next offers. I've got tons of offers (inbound) that the buyers only wanted to pay small fees to have my names. And i refused them immediately, not countered, not typed " We will consider if you get us your better offers". Don't let the buyers see your weakness. Sometimes they walked away and never feedback, but sometimes after months, they came back with their better offers. Don't believe me ? Here some example:
- CarrotCo.com - i bought from GD expired for 20$.
1st offer : 100$ - then i refused immediately.
2nd offer : 350$ - continued refusing.
3rd offer : 500$ - refused without typing " Sending us your better offer, we will consider". I know that some of domainers will consider this offer, some will sell this name at this price. But i'm not that kind of domainer, before buying a name, i always get my target price for this in my mind. And for this name, it's about 2k5$.
Then it was sold for 2k5$ shortly time after that on Sedo.
- BisonStudio.com - bought 19$.
1st offer : 100$ - refusing , of course.
2nd offer: 350$ with an buyer's email to let me know how hard he was, and how this name could help his bootstrapping project grew up. I just replied "Thanks for your offers, i knew that bootstrapping is not easy. I hope that you and your project will be well. Honestly, my target price for this name is far away from your offer."
3rd offer: 1000$ . He came back after 3 months, said that he can bought it for 1k$, but i continued refusing. My target price is 2k5 for it.
2> Nationality is an important factor in this business. People think that it's safer to buy names from a company/individual comes from Developed Countries than the 3rd countries. It's true. Especially if you do outbound, people will think that " Oh, this guy just only want 200$ for his monthly living cost, due to his original". So if you are in a developing country, what should you do ?
- Using 3rd escrow companies : let the buyers know that using 3rd escrow companies can ensure safety for both side.
- Using Estonian e-residence policy : you will have bank account and company address in EU.
- If the buyer want to have your names quickly by paying Paypal, just show them your completed Paypal invoices. And you can tell them that they can refund their money back if the transaction is canceled. Don't forget to let them mark " Completed Transaction" once you get money and they get their names.
- If the buyer don't trust you and don't want to use 3rd party : tell them that you can list your name on Aftermarket, so that they can buy easily, but they must pay extra fees. Or you can show them your completed invoices from Paypal/Sedo/Afternic to ensure that your reputation is valued more than XXX bucks.
Don't believe me ? I'm Vietnamese, and buyers from Rich countries didn't trust me in the 1st time. But after showing their those factors, 70% of them want to pay Paypal to me to get names quickly.
3> I received tons of scam offers/real offers every week. 80% will be scam or refusing to pay more. So don't spend your time for those offers. Taking your time to research and buy better names. If you just regret a delayed/ uncompleted offers, you can not make more offers in the future.
4> Fuck your donkey buyer. Fuck him :smuggrin:
 
Last edited:
18
•••
Unfortunately Nigeria has got such a bad reputation, that you have to accept public opinion. I think you have two choices.

Move

Let a registrar like Name Silo conduct the final sale and transfer. That will save you having to use escrow.
 
2
•••
Learn from this experience and move on. sell it to better buyer and higher price. make sure to list it everywhere from afternic to sedo to undevelop etc
 
3
•••
Get yourself a US address and phone number or an EU one if you want to do outbound. Don't take these things personally just adapt your game and continue to hustle. There even apps for you to use US phone numbers to call. I'm from Canada and make use of Free Tone so that I can outbound US numbers without paying long distance charges. Another thing you can do is set yourself up with uniregistry landers, then when you outbound and get offers push them to a uniregistry broker, yes your paying a commission but if you want to make sure your buyer feels safe it's a smart option.
 
6
•••
For future - don't push too much :)
 
4
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back