NameSilo

WebsiteMax is alive and well

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
A couple of weeks ago a NP member sent me an email and told me that someone has cloned one of my site (which I bought from Websitemax back in April).

I contacted the owner by email and told him that he has cloned my site and requested that he needs to close his site. He then replied to me by email asked me to contact him by phone.

I called him and find out that he bought the site from Ebay last month for $x,xxx (Yes it's a four-digit sale).

I then asked him the seller who sold him the site. After 5 minutes, he gave me the address of Websitemax.

An interesting thing in this case is this guy is a New York Lawyer!
I gave him all the info that I had about Websitemax and asked him to update me with the status.

His comment "It's not cool for this to happen to me - especially to a Lawyer"!

Watch out guys - He is out there somewhere!!!!

John

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is the worst case of a website copycat I've ever seen. And the sad part is, he's not going to stop until he finally gets his butt sued. I hope that the lawyer in this case pursues him. Did he indicate whether or not he would?

•••
The lawyer said that he will but I have not heard from him for the last two weeks.

May be I should send him an email or call him tonight.

I did tell him to go to Namepros.com and search for websitemax to see what the scam artist's records.

It's like selling drug to a cop!

•••
•••
•••
•••
WOW! Pretty heavy stuff. This guy sure seems to have wasted a tremendous amount of everyones time - and time IS money.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a cloned site?

•••
Update!

I talked to the lawyer last night and he said litigation is in progress. It may take a while (you may already know our justice system) but he said that he can't let him get away with this. It's a big humiliation to him since he is a lawyer!

I'll post update as they become available.

John

•••
It's getting to the point where I feel as though every time I make a sale, or buy something... it's a gamble! It's sad to say, but for every legit person following the rules, and displaying professional behavior - there's another person... waiting in the wings to take away what they've earned or gained.

I've personally been lucky thus far, but for how long? I imagine it's only a matter of time before I have a tale to tell.

Jennifer

•••
I agree Jennifer, I wish I could trade in an honest environment, which NP is 99.99% of the time, but of our 10,000+ members, there are still a fair few here to scam and cheat, with multiple identities.

With every business there are cheats, and its even easier to cheat people out of money when you are sitting behind a computer. All of these people would be terrified if one of their victims appeared at their front door...

•••
Those scam artists are everywhere, not just here.

We need to be carefull when we deal with new people. I bought a site from him but I did double check and it was the original site.

When in doubt, send PM to mods to verify identity of the member.

That's why we have jails, police, judges, etc...

John

•••
ManicGirl said:
It's getting to the point where I feel as though every time I make a sale, or buy something... it's a gamble!
Jennifer

That is why I have been semi-inactive. The rapid increase in immature members across many of the forums caused me to evaluate my priorities.

•••
The immature members is why most people have been "semi-inactive" IMHO. I still try, but it's tough to hold decent auctions and sales when the professional, forward thinking members head for the hills to escape childish behavior. Mind you, I am making no reference to "age" because I have dealt with some mighty fine teenagers on a very professional level.

I'm speaking generally of the way certain people choose to conduct their business. Disruptive comments in sales threads, changing auction terms after the auction has begun, people begging and groveling via the pm system, making up stupid excuses as to why they cannot follow through on their end of bargains. I have too much to do, and I just don't have time to sort the BS, from the real thing.

On the flip side, there are some really fantastic people mixed in. That is why I still try. I can honestly say, I would still be two steps behind if I hadn't found this place a year ago. As always I just hope for the best.

Jennifer

•••
In case anyone is wondering his new website is "DuelistVortex.com". No surprise - He ripped the design there, "DOOM" created it but Derek ripped it and used it for his own website, and again he put "Mark Meirs" in the whois information.

Unfortunately "DOOM" never got his money and was ripped off. D-:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back