IT.COM

advice Feeling Insulted

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bonsu

Top Member
Impact
I have never felt this stupid and insulted in my life.
I hand registered a domain 10 November 2017 parked it with bodis.com and decided to watch traffic. The domain is a city.tld (name removed) and after noticing the traffic from America I decided to do outbound 2 weeks ago, contacted end users I feel would benefit from this domain.
In less than an hour one of them replied asking for the price and so I made some enquiries with some np members: @Jurgen Wolf, @jide ofor asking for the best price so I don't call a silly price as I usually do and miss the sale. After consultation I replied the young man with a HIGH $××× bit left room for negotiation. He replied back in less than 10 min that he was thinking of $500 which would have been fine by me. However I didn't want to accept immediately so I told him we'do come down by $200 since it wasn't in his budget and I contacted him but he didn't reply.

Gave him 3 days break and contacted him again that I've not heard from him that if he was still interested we will consider his offer and he should decide which payment plan is fine by him: PayPal, escrow or payoneer escrow... no reply.

I had a feeling he stopped replying possibly because he realised I was contacting him from Nigeria. I even sent a mail telling him I'd transfer the domain to him first if he wants then he pays after he receives it but he'd have to open a name.com account..... no reply... So I stopped felt maybe week days wasn't his thing..

At the weekend again I contacted him asking what his concern was that if he changes his mind I'd list the domain on afternic.com & Godaddy explaining that it is a domain market place.... voila!!! He replied that godaddy is good however his budget is $100 I countered and he agreed to pay $300 asking for how to proceed with godaddy (this is the saddest part: I tried listing it on godaddy and realised the tld .pro wasn't accepted there so I contacted buyer telling him that he should use afternic as it is a godaddy marketplace even given him how to search for the relationship between afternic and godaddy and so he stopped replying...

I was working extra hours at work and decided to give it one last try and if he didn't reply I would strike him off my list and so I contacted him and he replied saying he scared he would get scammed that he'd prefer I call him if I am legit... immediately I picked up my office line and called him introduced myself that it's been me mailing him all this while and he didn't allow me to finish before he asked that what country code was this and I told him Nigeria and he said "no no no f*** off" and ended the call. I called back and he has barred my number. So I sent him a mail that if he felt scammed already he shouldn't have told me to call and I would respect his decision and so I greeted him farewell......

I was so embarrassed... why did he not say from the on set. Why did he say I should call him? So it's a crime course we are Nigeria? I receive many mails from Americans claiming they are forex agents and crypto *** I choose not to reply... I don't insult or treat them badly. I feel highly disappointed at the way an educated guy would act in such an unruly manner......

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Brush it off and sell to a better buyer.. ;)

•••
Not your fault, nothing you can do either to fix Nigeria's bad reputation.

Next time you can try something more automated like Afternic BIN, even Fast Transfer, and avoid too much human intervention ;)

•••
People associate Nigeria with scams. It is not like it is an unearned reputation either.

I feel bad for the people in Nigeria who are trying to run a legitimate business. It has to be a struggle because of the country's reputation.

As far as this one end user, I am not sure why he would request a call them be a dick. But that is the nature of business. It happens.

I have been insulted countless times over the years. You need thick skin.

Brad

•••
I did but the price wasn't resolving and the page was slow loading but bodis was fast and used escrow.com as payment option
Not your fault, nothing you can do either to fix Nigeria's bad reputation.

Next time you can try something more automated like Afternic BIN, even Fast Transfer, and avoid too much human intervention ;)

•••
.PRO was ignored by GoDaddy since 2004...
GD was accredited just in Feb'2016... and even as of today .PRO is unsupported on GD Auctions...

Forget about this bidder and forget about outbound.

Last edited:
•••
Renewals are gradually coming so wanted to sell off one name to cover up my small portfolio

•••
Then list them at Afternic and Sedo with BINs no higher than low $X,XXX...

•••
•••
Use Google voice to hide your country of origin.

•••
Sorry to hear this is an issue for you with outbound. This is just my opinion but you should try to make the contact short direct and only one or two emails tops. Above that it sounds spammy and desperate.

I would also have a firm buy it now price. Do you have landing pages? If so direct them to your landing page to complete any purchase.

In your case it’s best if they are focused on the name and not your location. Landing pages can link right to escrow which also lessens fear about being duped or who is this person.

•••
To be honest if someone from Nigeria called me trying to sell a domain, I would probably just hang up also.

You should have listed on a platform, and sent him to a BIN link, you are going to continue to have the same issues, based on the stigma associated with your area of locale. Nothing personal, but just to many telemarketer calls, emails, and press about scams, that nobody wants anything to do with it.

Good luck

•••
•••
That sucks but dont feel bad. Ive had members ask me from time to time to help close their deals by phone here in the US because they were worried they would not be able to close it. Sometimes they close and sometines they dont.

I would just get the domain up with a buy now. Sedo, Flippa, Undeveloped, Name Silo....whatever. then when its all set, maybe send an email notifying ALL buyers that have expressed interest that the domain is available with Buy Now on whatever site.

I think thats all you can do.

•••
Either that or email him that if he doesnt buy the domain you will hack all his bank accounts and you wont let him collect the 20 mil stuck in a Royal account in Switzerland. :)

•••
Hey Bonsu.
1- if he was thinking about $500 why did you lower the price to $200 yourself without him asking...
"He replied back in less than 10 min that he was thinking of $500 which would have been fine by me. However I didn't want to accept immediately so I told him we'do come down by $200 ...."

If indeed this is the situation.. it might be seen as suspicious... self negotiating.

2- the listings not being ready and saying yes then it didn't work.. another reason it creates suspicion.

3- unfortunately the reputation of scams related to Nigeria hurts honest people..

So either personal landers or afternic or sedo listings ready, then contact the client and put the link in the email and/or tell them to go themselves to afternic and search the term (in case they don't want to click on a link).

As much as possible put a name close to your name. Like maybe Bobby or something. If they afterward say anything, Say Bobby is the nickname all my friends use...

Last edited:
•••
I have seen his Geodomain (major Californian city)...
mid $xxx or lower - is definitely below its real value.

•••
Sorry to hear this is an issue for you with outbound. This is just my opinion but you should try to make the contact short direct and only one or two emails tops. Above that it sounds spammy and desperate.

I would also have a firm buy it now price. Do you have landing pages? If so direct them to your landing page to complete any purchase.

In your case it’s best if they are focused on the name and not your location. Landing pages can link right to escrow which also lessens fear about being duped or who is this person.
I used bodis.com landing page with a buy it now indicating that payment would be done via escrow

•••
To be honest if someone from Nigeria called me trying to sell a domain, I would probably just hang up also.
He requested I call him I didn't insinuate it at all

•••
The buyer was never in any danger. They just didnt know how buying a domain works.

Me, i dont care if a seller is from Mars. If they have a name i want or need, i can buy it safely.

This buyer just didnt know.

•••
1- if he was thinking about $500 why did you lower the price to $200 yourself without him asking...
he didn't reply for a week it was when he replied he asked to lower the price and we agreed at $300

•••
I would just get the domain up with a buy now. Sedo, Flippa, Undeveloped, Name Silo....whatever. then when its all set, maybe send an email notifying ALL buyers that have expressed interest that the domain is available with Buy Now on whatever site
I have this name in all the listed marketplaces and I state that to him.
The price was $1000 in the marketplace and I told him I'd change the price to our agreed $300 so he can buy it from there. He wanted go daddy out of all the marketplaces but .pro wasn't accepted

•••
the listings not being ready and saying yes then it didn't work.. another reason it creates suspicion.
I thought afternic listing would reflect on go daddy that's why I suggested it as per comments from threads on namepros. But when I typed in the domain of godaddy it said "this domain is on auction which might cost more, why not choose from related names" then a list of domino with the keyword was listed with their prices....

•••
Ya... just wasn't meant to be.. maybe it's a sign to keep that domain and get a higher price..

•••
Back