Dynadot

poll Will .com (dot com) be King in 2017?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

☀ Will .com (dot com) be King in 2017❓

• 1st

Yes of course

votes
    89.2%
  • 2nd

New extension will take over

votes
    9.7%
  • 3rd

No of course not

votes
    2.7%

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.com is like the new car dealer that sells you a quality car. They make sure you don't have problems driving your car with the best guarantees.

New g's is like a used car dealer that convinces you the car will run forever with false promises and no guarantees.

•••
Yes, Yes, and Yes. I have many domains and the ones I sell or receive offers are 97% of the time the .com ones. Most of the time, the new Gs or other extensions are available but no one cares. .com or nothing

•••
Only invest in .top (just kidding)
Don't know why these threads continue NOTHING WILL EVER pass .com get over it.

•••
Unless sites like youtube.com / facebook.com all decide to start using .xyz and let their .coms drop - maybe, but its like trying to change the entire official language of a country - just based off the idea that some people might start learning their own languages on their own. Without some kind major issue with verisign - i dont see the wall falling for a while

Have you considered that sites like youtube.com and facebook.com might get replaced? ;)

People have short memories. :-D Let's remember MySpace and AIM...

•••
Unless sites like youtube.com / facebook.com all decide to start using .xyz and let their .coms drop - maybe, but its like trying to change the entire official language of a country - just based off the idea that some people might start learning their own languages on their own. Without some kind major issue with verisign - i dont see the wall falling for a while
Think of it as a multi-cultural country. Iron Curtain, Berlin Wall...the walls have already fallen.

•••

good point...:xf.wink:
did you know that english is a west germanic language ?
whole Europe changed the money they had to EURO
was it a good move ? :xf.eek:

how about dot.web ?

.com is just habit

there are so many new extensions
and the registrars want to make money
so they will support them

how many good .com do you got ?
wouldn,t it be nice to have some good keywords in the new extensions wich makes sense ?

i like the new extensions:xf.wink::xf.wink:

•••
did you know that english is a west germanic language ?

That change took centuries. :-P I don't know if the internet or .com... or heck, even this planet would last so long.

•••
That change took centuries. :-P I don't know if the internet or .com... or heck, even this planet would last so long.

So let,s focus and sell some domain names ✔️

•••
I understand these - there was also a time when the world was flat. But what we are talking about is as follows - Will .com keep its crown. With The ideas you are bringing up - Are FORCED culture changes . If you live in a country - and the central monetization changes - Think about India right now Its not like peole gradually stopped using 500 1000 notes - They were BANNED - and people addapt.

The internet is like the wealth in the world - 1 percent of the websites have the major stake of the internet - All of these companies would have to collapse simultainiously - and all of their compeditors will need to be using other extensions.

to us domaining is a macro enviornment with many factors.

But to sammy smith and robert pendergrass - Its just their business with a .com attached.

.com / .xyz / .coalabearcub are zero significance in the BUSINESSES that they are put on. - and the public use. Im not on namepros.com right now im on namepros

Its too diverse / established. If the top 10 alexa sites all change to new extensions then it could be a start... but there is no need, Think of how these extensions are titled and sold - tld cctld gtdl - Top level Domain / Country Code ... / generic ...

It doesnt matter what is what because the established sites need to be there in order for it to be a thing.

Back in 1995 when the mountains were filled with gold and diamonds - That was the day to pick favorites / when all sites were just - kind of thrown togeather - But now - every thing is established. - .com is dot com because every standard civilian types in 400 .com /s a week - Its not significant / just part of the routine - Its like typing the www. in or not ->

The only way that .com will fall is if they pull some sketchy stuff - $200 per year or somthing to that nature. But in a land where .com is already on top , it would need some type of authoritative prefix to why it changes.

Saying that language changed over the years sure - but until a ggtdl takes up the majority stake of alexa top million - Then theres no shot. Domainers can not pave the road, they can just chose what type of car they drive on it with =)

•••
However - It is possible dont get me wrong.

Catalysts could go the other way too, imagine if a new extension PAID you instead of charged , maybe crazy but think promo , We will give you 100 bucks every million pageviews - you might get some major sites changing.

Inorder for a domain to even be RECOGNIZEABLE it needs to have been tried and tested.

I like .us names not because i think of UNITED STATES - But because i remember a day of using ImageShack.us every day for forums and such. - To this day every time i see a dot us, i think of that little frog.

but like as i stand here other then .net / org (both of which i only can think of one or two)

I wouldnt even know how long it would take me to think of 5 globably active domains that i have known through word of mouth.

Many people get confused if you tried to tell them a website with .drive. -- Whats your website . - cheap.drive they get home and they just get a page not found for a non exsistant subdomain from drive.com

•••
We are just on the edge from the digital big bang ( or cambrian / digital explosion )

the Universe in infinite ?
the Internet is infinite ?

i am a visionary
i feel that there will be a change soon

maybe this open your eyes with Entertainment

.com is habit

:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
I think .com/.net/.org are the training wheels for the internet.

It's grown up and new extensions are here. We're comfortable with the internet and domains, now we're ready for new, bigger, and (maybe in the future) better ones.

However, I feel like for 2017, .com will remain dominant. I've always kinda thought .com was ugly for branding. It's instinctive, but sounds weird, and looks out of place. But no one can tell the future.

Last edited:
•••
I voted 'Yes'.

I believe that perfectly matched new gTLDs are gonna sell for much in the future, but .COM will remain the king of generics by far.

•••
I voted 'Yes'.

I believe that perfectly matched new gTLDs are gonna sell for much in the future, but .COM will remain the king of generics by far.

Do we need a King ?
What about .Web ?

•••
.com is like the new car dealer that sells you a quality car. They make sure you don't have problems driving your car with the best guarantees.

New g's is like a used car dealer that convinces you the car will run forever with false promises and no guarantees.

i don,t think so

.com is just habit
people are just scared

but this will change :xf.wink: sooooooonnnnnnnn

•••
.com is habit and it,s about time to change that :xf.smile:

A habit (or wont) is a routine of behavior that is repeated regularly and tends to occur subconsciously.

In the American Journal of Psychology (1903) it is defined in this way:

"A habit, from the standpoint of psychology, is a more or less fixed way of thinking, willing, or feeling acquired through previous repetition of a mental experience."
Habitual behavior often goes unnoticed in persons exhibiting it, because a person does not need to engage in self-analysis when undertaking routine tasks. Habits are sometimes compulsory.
The process by which new behaviours become automatic is habit formation. Old habits are hard to break and new habits are hard to form because the behavioural patterns we repeat are imprinted in our neural pathways,but it is possible to form new habits through repetition.

As behaviors are repeated in a consistent context, there is an incremental increase in the link between the context and the action. This increases the automaticity of the behavior in that context. Features of an automatic behavior are all or some of: efficiency, lack of awareness, unintentionality, uncontrollability.

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habit

change-quotes-habits-will-change-your-future.jpg

•••

I think they call them Hybrids ...... I want an V8 Camaro !

Last edited:
•••
Oh hang on, just saw another ad for Hotels.Com ....... say no more

•••
Do we need a King ?
What about .Web ?

.Web has potential, but we should not underestimate the power of 30 years of dominance.

I am getting "old" and have realized that 20 years is not that long.

•••
.Web has potential, but we should not underestimate the power of 30 years of dominance.

I am getting "old" and have realized that 20 years is not that long.

you are not getting old
you do a lot fitness :xf.wink: and enjoy the beach in KohSamui

i getting younger every day ( here in korat )
just change your settings :xf.rolleyes: and keep the fire burning

you got a mix of domains ( classic and new - i think this is smart )

•••
I enjoy getting old and hopefully wiser, but my body is slowly getting "younger", haha. Still some fat to loose.

•••
I enjoy getting old and hopefully wiser, but my body is slowly getting "younger", haha. Still some fat to loose.

come to Korat and join me
i lost 21 Kg in 7 month

getting fit ...
avoid rice in the evening

honestly : i am convinced to get a portfolio of mix domains ( classic and new )
is the right way...

•••
•••
Unfortunately something needs to be done about those using new g's for scams and spam. A habit I'm developing is to avoid clicking on them. If nothing is done to curtail this than avoidance by the users may become the general rule.

Spammed.us

•••
dot com always king and in future dot com stay at top for sure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back