Dynadot

poll Will .com (dot com) be King in 2017?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

☀ Will .com (dot com) be King in 2017❓

• 1st

Yes of course

votes
    89.2%
  • 2nd

New extension will take over

votes
    9.7%
  • 3rd

No of course not

votes
    2.7%

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I admit 2016 hasn't been a great year for me at least with new g sales but I'll continue on my current path as I'm a believer in them.

Legacy domains will continue to rule in 2017, .com etc. but we have seen the adoption of many new sites launched this year using new g's and other extensions rather the com. Not as fast as I'd like to see though.

Will the new g's ever break out big time? This is something no one really knows the answer to and this can't be compared to the old days as there's a new generation of domainers/end users coming online daily and things have been known to change quickly.

From what I've noticed, I've been guilty of this too, pricing is playing a big role in lack of new g sales. I've seen some outrageous asking prices for newly hand registered g domains lately. In 2017 I'm going to be a bit more flexible with pricing and I'll probably have a few more sales under my belt. :)

•••
.com will stick around; but in terms of popularity it wouldn't be the same as you compared it back 20+years ago. Old generation VS new generation, will simplify it for you; new generation startup co. always find improvements and unique ideas. New generation inquiry mind always want to know; and you can not stop them:cautious:

•••
Some .coms were registered before some of the recent trademarks were created. That gives .coms an advantage.

They said Brexit wouldn't happen
They said Trump wouldn't be elected
They say .coms are old hat and will die.

"They" seem to get it wrong all the time. :)

•••
•••
Will sex, beer, massage, sunshine still be king, of course.

Seems the more new gtlds you have, the more down on domaining you are. See how that works. 2017 is a new year, do it up right this time. Be down with the King.

Bonus RUN DMC just because I like it, bangs in the whip, the bass might stop your heart

Last edited:
•••
.com is like the new car dealer that sells you a quality car. They make sure you don't have problems driving your car with the best guarantees.

New g's is like a used car dealer that convinces you the car will run forever with false promises and no guarantees.

•••
All I take from these threads are about 5 new people a day to put on ignore.

Its such a wonderful feature.

•••
Ten years ago I thought .net was a pretty good option. About eight years ago I discovered .tv and was excited about the awesome keywords I could find virtually unchallenged at Godaddy expiring auctions. However .net and .tv domain sales just do not cover renewals. Even before new tlds they were merely a cheap option for developers who did not want to pay for a premium .com. now that there are a thousand .whatever's there is no reason to pay a premium for anything.

•••
.com will stick around; but in terms of popularity it wouldn't be the same as you compared it back 20+years ago. Old generation VS new generation, will simplify it for you; new generation startup co. always find improvements and unique ideas. New generation inquiry mind always want to know; and you can not stop them:cautious:

Basically it all depends how much money they have to pay to keep their new extensions alive. They need to sell a boat load to pay for the domain extension registration. Who is buddy with who. You can find thousands of not bad .coms that have been dropped available for reg. I sure would not be holding too many new extensions. Some names do fit I agree but my core will stay .com

•••
The king is alive and well. :) He shall continue to rule with his iron fist.

•••
•••
The domaining era is over.

I think this concern would be better placed on issues like global warming. :-P

•••
If google places value more on content than on domain keywords, then the value of domains will go down. Now, with social media links from fb, youtube, linkedin, twitter as ways to ptomote, it makes domains less relevant. Domains with typed in traffic will always maintain strong value.

Over all, I would say it's a down trend.
Also over time, more keyword domains will get bought and used up by endusers. So, there'll be less and less of the premiums in the domain market. That will eventually leave the domain market a smaller market. It the change will be gradual.

•••
.Com has been established for as long as the internet has been around. There are a few extensions that can do well here and there but as far as any tld replacing the dominance of .com on the internet in 2017, that is ridiculous. It is way too early for that to happen especially with the last 20+ years of .com established already. Some killer keywords will always do well in a few of these new extensions but nothing at all equal to what the same keyword in .com would fetch.

By the way, out of your 6 domains in your signature (VR.Loans VRKinos.com VRGamesKing.com VRGameKings.com VRGamesKings.com VRHoloPortation.com), 5 of them are .com. Try selling any of those 5 domains in any other extension in 2017 and I am sure you will have your answer.

Last edited:
•••
who needs a name anyways, just get a facebook page

•••
.Com has been established for as long as the internet has been around. There are a few extensions that can do well here and there but as far as any tld replacing the dominance of .com on the internet in 2017, that is ridiculous. It is way too early for that to happen especially with the last 20+ years of .com established already. Some killer keywords will always do well in a few of these new extensions but nothing at all equal to what the same keyword in .com would fetch.

By the way, out of your 6 domains in your signature (VR.Loans VRKinos.com VRGamesKing.com VRGameKings.com VRGamesKings.com VRHoloPortation.com), 5 of them are .com. Try selling any of those 5 domains in any other extension in 2017 and I am sure you will have your answer.

Agree!
Why do you think Uniregistry, owned by a well known domainer, uses Unirgistry.com, instead of Uniregistry.sexy or uniregistry.link or uniregistry.click Uniregistry.tattoo
Why? Frank those extensions, doesn't he?

.com extension isn't own by him. Is he not believing in his own extention?

Because he knowd .com is king.

I'm not sure if he owns Uniregistry.domain. Maybe he does. Or he doesn't.
Let's assume he owns Uniregistry.domain (a perfect extension for a domain registry). Do you think he would even use Uniregistry.domain over Uniregistry.com?

I will bet against it. Why?
Because he knows he will lose busniness by using something else other than a .com

I think gtlds are good, but it can't top a .com.
Gtld are cool for brands in my opinion. Tshirt brand, artist brand, Vanity names, product brand. Yet I haven't seen many being used.

•••
With increasing polarisation in the world, and conflicts in opinions of acceptable behavious and political ideals, it is likely that the Internet will split. Will China still want .coms when they are using "AsiaNet"?

That is highly unlikely. Firstly, the internet is at the core of globalization and global trade. Both of those would have to come to a standstill for the internet to split. If China does decide to use "AsiaNet," it will find itself very very alone. Not even neighboring countries (perhaps, except the hermit state) will benefit from a restricted Chinese-controlled network. In the process of creating this AsiaNet or China-And-North-Korea net, it may irreversibly find itself in an economic slump. Not many countries want to be in a trade union or any union with China, let alone a restricted computer network.

Secondly, the polarization we've seen in the world whether it's Brexit, the EU's problems, the US election, the Syrian war, problems in the Middle East, economic problems in Africa, or corruption in South Korea, you'll notice one thing in common. The polarization tends to be within a region or country. In a silly way, that seems to suggest people would be more comfortable connecting to others on the internet rather than some of those within their own country.

I think the real issue at hand would be balancing nationalism. Over the past few centuries, large regions have divided and united under the influence of nationalism. Through various eras such imperialism, the world wars, and the cold war, countries have developed a sense of nationalism. However, nationalism does have its limits. It represents an imaginary Utopia where large or small groups of people can get along extremely well. For the most patriotic, this collaboration is so great that it makes themselves feel superior over competing nations.

Nationalism itself is not bad, and has worked well for us in many ways. (You'll even find me getting defensive and nationalist if I feel anything unjust about the U.S has been posted lol.) But the point is that countries around the world need to realize that nationalism has to be balanced and should not represent a Utopia where every gets along. By accepting that, countries can develop ways to recognize and handle its differences so that everyone gets along.

•••
I understand these - there was also a time when the world was flat. But what we are talking about is as follows - Will .com keep its crown. With The ideas you are bringing up - Are FORCED culture changes . If you live in a country - and the central monetization changes - Think about India right now Its not like peole gradually stopped using 500 1000 notes - They were BANNED - and people addapt.

The internet is like the wealth in the world - 1 percent of the websites have the major stake of the internet - All of these companies would have to collapse simultainiously - and all of their compeditors will need to be using other extensions.

to us domaining is a macro enviornment with many factors.

But to sammy smith and robert pendergrass - Its just their business with a .com attached.

.com / .xyz / .coalabearcub are zero significance in the BUSINESSES that they are put on. - and the public use. Im not on namepros.com right now im on namepros

Its too diverse / established. If the top 10 alexa sites all change to new extensions then it could be a start... but there is no need, Think of how these extensions are titled and sold - tld cctld gtdl - Top level Domain / Country Code ... / generic ...

It doesnt matter what is what because the established sites need to be there in order for it to be a thing.

Back in 1995 when the mountains were filled with gold and diamonds - That was the day to pick favorites / when all sites were just - kind of thrown togeather - But now - every thing is established. - .com is dot com because every standard civilian types in 400 .com /s a week - Its not significant / just part of the routine - Its like typing the www. in or not ->

The only way that .com will fall is if they pull some sketchy stuff - $200 per year or somthing to that nature. But in a land where .com is already on top , it would need some type of authoritative prefix to why it changes.

Saying that language changed over the years sure - but until a ggtdl takes up the majority stake of alexa top million - Then theres no shot. Domainers can not pave the road, they can just chose what type of car they drive on it with =)

•••
However - It is possible dont get me wrong.

Catalysts could go the other way too, imagine if a new extension PAID you instead of charged , maybe crazy but think promo , We will give you 100 bucks every million pageviews - you might get some major sites changing.

Inorder for a domain to even be RECOGNIZEABLE it needs to have been tried and tested.

I like .us names not because i think of UNITED STATES - But because i remember a day of using ImageShack.us every day for forums and such. - To this day every time i see a dot us, i think of that little frog.

but like as i stand here other then .net / org (both of which i only can think of one or two)

I wouldnt even know how long it would take me to think of 5 globably active domains that i have known through word of mouth.

Many people get confused if you tried to tell them a website with .drive. -- Whats your website . - cheap.drive they get home and they just get a page not found for a non exsistant subdomain from drive.com

•••
Take my poll:

In 2017 will 99% of Namepros discussion content be idiotic trolling posts from noob domainers with more hope than brains?

1: For sure.
2: Michael Erhhardt will ensure it.
3: No question about it.
4: Yup - Just like last year.

Please leave your answer nowhere and knock your head into your monitor.

•••
The answer is, yes of course. :)

•••
•••
Year after year the .com receive more challenger, from .mobi .tv .top .cn .link .co .xyz .whatever.
Newbies predicted the "big change" in domain world but ending up broke due to expensive domain names renewal.

And still the premium domain extensions out there is .com. Sorry guys/gals, I wish I can share positive feedback about these gTLDs. I invested too, but no traction of sales that's reality in our business.

Of course, you will see some gTLDs sales provided by registry auctions that's all about it.
Just visit DNJournal.com for you to see what's happening in our domain space with regards to sales.

•••
Year after year the .com receive more challenger, from .mobi .tv .top .cn .link .co .xyz .whatever.
Newbies predicted the "big change" in domain world but ending up broke due to expensive domain names renewal.

And still the premium domain extensions out there is .com. Sorry guys/gals, I wish I can share positive feedback about these gTLDs. I invested too, but no traction of sales that's reality in our business.

Of course, you will see some gTLDs sales provided by registry auctions that's all about it.
Just visit DNJournal.com for you to see what's happening in our domain space with regards to sales.

honestly : i sold more not .com ( new extension like .one .mba ) than .com

what i like on .com is the price 8,88 @ Uni
what i don,t like is the habit !

so i got a mix of classic and new ( wich fits )
btw : i got 40 .tech domains for free( emc2.tech / renovatio.tech / transformers.tech _
promotion at checkdomains.de
( so why not register / take them ? )

i also got 40 .net domains for 1 year free :xf.wink: ( Usain.net / Dubayy.net / Taimak.net )
it,s a one year chance :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
I believe .com will be king for some time to come!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back