Dynadot

Will .Com ever die?

NameSilo
Watch
I am a strong believer that ".Com" will always be King, but when I talk to a lot of other domainers, they suggest that ".Com" will die within the next few years.

Just wanted to here some opinions on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
...when I talk to a lot of other domainers, they suggest that ".Com" will die within the next few years.

Cause they probably don't own any .com's worth a flying-F, and are hoping the new gtlds will be their ticket to the 'promised land' they missed!

•••
I really don't know if .com will die. But I really believe in my opinion times have changed. There are thousands of tlds hitting the market. The ones I worry about are the ones Google, Apple and Amazon will have their hands on (tlds).

You know why? Because Google has already single handedly destroyed any need for domains to be specifically .com to show up on the top of the pages in their search engine. Google controls more than 80 percent of web search in the WORLD in certain countries. Apple tablets and iphones are the rage. More people shop at Amazon than Target and Walmart combined. Therefore if Google, Apple or Amazon win any decent extensions with their reach into the public and money they can totally change the industry of domains as we know it.

Everytime you shop at Amazon they can offer you "would you like to get your free .web with your purchase" hypothetically. Everytime the new generation of kids signs up for emails Gmail can ask "Would you like your own '.whatever' name It will be free with your email sign up".

They only need to do that for couple of years before over and over and over the new generation of kids is exposed to it. They don't really even need to market the tlds they win on TV or magazines They can simply offer it to their customers as they have said they 're planning to give them out for free. So then the new generation of kids will be used to .web .app and .whatever from Google Apple and Amazon. They each will try to up one another to become the KING of the "Worldwide Web" not that google isn't already but these are sensitive times for the "four" horsemen. Google has cash and the reach with their products and services to shape the industry. Apple has cash and the products to change perception of domaining. This brings them power. This is no verisign or network solution of 1990's that owned .com. So yes this can in fact destroy .com by Google Apple and Amazon's new extensions. My kids can say one day "mom I can't beleive you still use .com".

Last edited:
•••
I am a strong believer that ".Com" will always be King, but when I talk to a lot of other domainers, they suggest that ".Com" will die within the next few years.

What is going to replace it?

Brad

•••
What is going to replace it?

Brad

.WEB :lol:

bla bla bla...would you like to get your free .web with your purchase

bla bla bla

...My kids can say one day "mom I can't beleive you still use .com.

More like, "mom, why didn't you buy quality .com back in the day, instead of those .MEs and .WEBs? We could've been living the life right now" ;)

•••
.WEB :lol:

More like, "mom, why didn't you buy quality .com back in the day, instead of those .MEs and .WEBs? We could've been living the life right now" ;)

.Ninja

Brad

•••

Of course not. It's usually people who are new and victims of Gold Rush marketing, not so bright people etc. There was a Gold Rush, it happened in the mid 90's. That's it. It's easy to sell that to newbies, get there money with every new extension that comes down the line. There will be some people who make good money on some premium keywords, you can make some profit on some other good keywords, provided you have realistic expectations.

It's been around too long, it's engrained. The biggest sites, commercials etc. When they talk about .com dying, they probably mean the crappy .coms they registered.

•••
•••
More like, "mom, why didn't you buy quality .com back in the day, instead of those .MEs and .WEBs? We could've been living the life right now" ;)[/QUOTE]

haha you 're picking on me You know I love you

•••
.com isn't going anywhere. It's not going to be replaced by any other TLD.

The next step is the visibility of extensions going away completely. People will be able to type "namepros" into a browser and go directly to NamePros (this is already possible, but that's not the normal expected behavior).

•••
when I talk to a lot of other domainers, they suggest that ".Com" will die within the next few years.
:talk:

i'd say, stop talking with that group

:)

•••

saying that is just like saying that within next 20 years gold will loose its value because people will switch to copper as a value storage vehicle.

All the crappy extensions that came up after .com/net/org have shown directly opposite - com will remain and increase in value because of continuous trust in it and everything else will remain crap.

•••
haha you 're picking on me

:o Not true, just saying it the way I see it. .COM is the King. It's trusted and is credible.

It's like saying Tata (a relatively new brand of vehicle) will replace Maserati (an established and quality brand of vehicle).

The new extensions will just be viewed as knock-offs of the Almighty .COM. I am a true believer.

What is Monotheism?

Belief in a Single, All-Powerful God

Source: http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/religion/blrel_theism_mono.htm

You know I love you

You are first member at NP to declare their love for me publicly on the forum. :red:

But, :loveyou: too.

•••
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

- Mr. com 2012

•••
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

- Mr. com 2012
"My my, hey hey - .COM domains are here to stay"

as well as

"Hey hey, my my - .COM domains can never die"

Last edited:
•••
.com is still the most popular extension and is here to stay. If you are in the US and you have a business, a .com website is a must.

•••
people always complain that they started domaining too late, i.e. they should have started 20 years ago etc. Every year there are reasons domaining is getting more riskier, and another 10 years down the road when we look back today, they would say: "2012 was a buying opportunity in a life time".

•••
Yes, as with anything else in life. The difference is, it will be due to an innovation in the internet. Not a new domain extension IMO.

•••
Domainers will not let .com die ever :)

•••
I strongly believe .COM will never die "BUT" the younger generation will define history and the fate of .COM.
The old school way of thinking might not work "Times are changing" so it is possible another TLD might emerge to compete with .COM? YES! But extremely unlikely .com is unlikely to fade away it has been around so long. Are there opportunities to make money with other extensions? Hell Yes! Do not take any advice from anyone if they tell you otherwise.

•••
I don't think so. As long as people want to go to the .com domain names. It cannot die.

•••
com's will never die just increase in value!

•••
com's are already dieing.
But most domainers will be the last to recognize this.
They are too emotionally tied to their awkward dot com names.
They are like the Amish with their horse and buggies.
Jazz is dead...get over it.
Some people just cant adapt to change.

•••
2 MB of RAM is plenty
Why would I want more than 4 channels?
Cars not powered by gasoline?
A phone with pictures?
Free wireless?
Pre-cut salads in a bag?
CDs? Lower quality than albums!
MP3s? Lower quality than CDs!
Streaming? Too poor quality.
Digital photos? 1MB? 8MP? 12MP?
24 hrs of music on TV?
24 hrs of Sport on TV?
Why does a 24 hr music channel have reality tv?
Videos will kill the radio!
Books? Always and forever!
Online stores? I don't think so.. I want to "see" what I buy.

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Limit it to just internet?
Why would I need an email?
Why would I need a personal email?
Why would I need 5GB of storage?
Why would I need multiple emails?
Why would I need to tie my emails to my personal wallet?
I have a 56KB modem, I rule!
I have a ISDN, I rule!
I have 1 MB Cable, I rule!

blah blah blah blah blah..

BUT .COM? Here forever. Here to stay because some things are just constant and the internet? One of the most stable constant things there is. I mean .. it's built for scalability.. we'll never ever run out of IP addresses with IPv4 - are you kidding? That's ridiculous.

•••
•••
Back