NameSilo

Dot COM is king, every other extension sucks.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
" Dot COM is king, every other extension sucks, Your name isn't worth anything, if only it was dot com"

I'm so tired of hearing this same line being said over & over again on this forum by myself and the mass majority here. Even for great one word names that people have registered on other extensions, the same thing is continuoulsy said in the domain appraisal thread.

I will no longer refer to dot com as being a good extension, and only support the weaker extensions for use for now on. That's one of my goal for 2009, to bring out the public awareness of the awesome other extensions that are available.

I'm disappoinited in ICANN for designating dot com as the only extension for widespread use, and all of the people involved with making that one extension the leader when it comes to domains. I dare any registrar to not even include dot com on their list of tld's to choose from, and to only support the exotic extensions. Seriously.. start supporting the other extensions! Put the rare beauties at the top of your list, and put dot com on the bottom. These 60+ other extensions are just as good, and the only way they will become players in the domain world, is to start using them, developing hot sites on them, and opening people's minds to realize dot com isn't the only extension...

For now on the dot com extension is dead to me. :bah:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
sportomoney said:
" Dot COM is king, every other extension sucks, Your name isn't worth anything, if only it was dot com"

I hardly see such opinions.

•••
Really? Their spread all throughout this forum. People claiming dot com is the only extension worth anything.

I can find 100 comments easily boosting the use of dot com up above "God" status. Just check out a few posts on the appraisal thread.

•••
sportomoney said:
For now on the dot com extension is dead to me. :bah:

Umm. I think that might limit your Internet browsing options a bit. In case you didn't notice this website is a dot com. B-)

•••
MicroGuy said:
Umm. I think that might limit your Internet browsing options a bit. In case you didn't notice this website is a dot com. B-)

Don't worry Greg - he can get it on Namepros.TV

•••
I like .com and .org. I'm not interested in owning any of the other extensions, not even .net, although I do own just one of those.

•••
If you listen to domainers in general you won't understand the value of other credible extensions. Most domainers totally underestimate the value of top keywords in credible extensions, as well as things like keyword domains separated by 1 well placed hyphen.

There are some countries in the rest of the world that really like .NET, more than .COM in some situations. To much of the world .COM is seen as the ccTLD of America and .NET is the generic.

.ORG works where appropriate.

Credible extensions after .COM offer the best ROI if you know what you are doing.

Brad

sportomoney said:

I'm so tired of hearing this same line being said over & over again on this forum by myself and the mass majority here. Even for great one word names that people have registered on other extensions, the same thing is continuoulsy said in the domain appraisal thread.

Last edited:
•••
Why do you think that is? I think most of us just like .com because it's the only one we see being widely used, it's the only one with the largest sales. It's the only one that has been commercialized for 15+ years now. Dot com is like that horrible pop song you hear on repeat each morning on the radio...
and just like Madonna it's time to retire..

greggish said:
I like .com and .org. I'm not interested in owning any of the other extensions, not even .net, although I do own just one of those.

•••
sportomoney said:
Why do you think that is? I think most of us just like .com because it's the only one we see being widely used, it's the only one with the largest sales. It's the only one that has been commercialized for 15+ years now. Dot com is like that horrible pop song you hear on repeat each morning on the radio...
and just like Madonna it's time to retire..

I said I like .org too.

Last edited:
•••
Hyphens? Dot com sucks?

This thread needs to be moved to the Blasphemy subforum. :laugh: :'( :laugh:

( Where's the dangerous and hot topic warning? Lol. :gl: )

•••
Development is King, every other use of a domain sucks :sold:

•••
Are you a .net fan? Or was it that you couldn't get MicroGuy.com :)

I know the .com forwards, just joking.

Brad

MicroGuy said:
Hyphens? Dot com sucks?

This thread needs to be moved to the Blasphemy subforum. :laugh: :'( :laugh:

( Where's the dangerous and hot topic warning? Lol. :gl: )

•••
-REECE- said:

Smartest man in the thread so far :)

•••
-REECE- said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

•••
-REECE- said:

Smartest man in the thread so far :)

Also note theres the same amount of good names in every extension :lol:

•••
In my opinion the real overrated extension is .net. If I could only have two extensions of the same domain, it would most of the time be the .com and .org. I wouldn't bother with the .net.

•••
NET/ORG offer way higher ROI for me than .COM, because it is easier to find bargains to start with.

Also keywords in those extensions are in the price range of most end users. Most end users don't have tens of thousands of dollars for a domain.

When you can pick a domain up for $20 - $25 and sell it for mid $XXX, it is a nice ROI.

Brad

greggish said:
In my opinion the real overrated extension is .net. If I could only have two extensions of the same domain, it would most of the time be the .com and .org. I wouldn't bother with the .net.

End users respect .net, and that is all that matters. NET is my highest ROI of any extension.

Brad

•••
Well, .ca rocks for me!
I have made more in sales and parking than
all of my .coms put together!

•••
ccTLD are highly undervalued also.

Brad

mis_chiff said:
Well, .ca rocks for me!
I have made more in sales and parking than
all of my .coms put together!

•••
bmugford said:
ccTLD are highly undervalued also.

Brad

Have to agree there :)

But it's good for us domainers :)

•••
-REECE- said:
Amen!

:santa:

•••
Generic keywords are king. I'll register keyword-keyword.net, develop it, let it gather age and better search rank and turn it for 50-100x.

Reece is 100% on. You develop a domain and it becomes much more valuable than letting it sit as a parked page.

•••
Some great points above!

Also, based on my own personal experiences, a top-notch developed site will do much better on .com than any other TLD. There are a number of reasons for this but it's mostly due to end-user familiarity, pattern behavior, and current corporate development.

We're going to need the next big site, like a Twitter or a Facebook to come from a minor TLD before we see any serious challenges to the .com establishment. I'm personally hoping for more uStreams and Justins!

The ccTLD that's currently positioned to challenge "thy golden three" is the media-centric and HIGHLY BRANDABLE .TV. (IMHO). :gl:

•••
The type-in traffic a good .com gets certainly helps a lot too. My LLLL.com was consistently getting 60+ uniques per day when it wasn't developed -- makes for a huge advantage at establishing a successful website versus not having those daily uniques, however I'm not sure in many cases if one would be better off spending their money on a generic .com or going for an alternative in a different extension or a not-as-good .com and spending all that money saved on SEO and other promotional efforts. If you can afford both (the good .com + all the SEO and promotion you want), that would obviously be the best of both worlds, however most of us are not in a position to do that -- at least not if we have several websites we intend on building.

MicroGuy said:
Some great points above!

Also, based on my own personal experiences, a top-notch developed site will do much better on .com than any other TLD. There are a number of reasons for this but it's mostly due to end-user familiarity, pattern behavior, and current corporate development.

We're going to need the next big site, like a Twitter or a Facebook to come from a minor TLD before we see any serious challenges to the .com establishment. I'm personally hoping for more uStreams and Justins!

The ccTLD that's currently positioned to challenge "thy golden three" is the media-centric and HIGHLY BRANDABLE .TV. (IMHO). :gl:

Last edited:
•••
These threads are just over and over. I would bet if the op owned top keyword .coms he would be touting something different. Its all agenda, if you are Frank Schilling you blog about how .com is thee defacto standard, Rick Schwartz who wrote he would never develop a .net, if you have no great .com but great .mobi, then .mobi is the hot new extension to become the next great extension, if you own great idn then its all about IDN. Its natural its only human to support your agenda.

FACT DOMAINING is NOT DEVELOPING, DOMAINING is registering domains and selling them, or parking them and earning PPC.

Developing is starting a business if it is real development, Putting 3 adsense blocks on a page with an article you paid $10 for and an affiliate banner is not development IMO, again IMO.

FACT the most money has been made "DOMAINING" in .com, one just needs to review DN Journal or Namebio or any other sales site.

FACT the most money lost "DOMAINING" has been in .com 70million out of 78 million registrations have got to be low quality. $560,000,000 down the drain at $8 a reg.

.com is the extension of ecommerce so it will remain #1 in the public eye, of course there will be successes in other extensions. A greater chance for that success is to actually go out and do something and not pontificate in domain forums because at the end of the day no one is changing anyone's mind in the agenda based ideology of the domain industry. Look at the Cover Story on DN Journal, one of the guys top 3 tips only reg .com the domain dog just keeps going in a circle chasing its tail. .com>cctld>vanity>.com>vanity>cctld>.com etc.......... Again IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back