Dynadot

discuss Where .com is Not King

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Where in the world is .com not king?

Where that other extensions are more popular, accepted, etc.?

Any other heavy rival extensions in the world regions, demographics, other than ccltds?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
.IE πŸ‘πŸ½

https://www.iedr.ie/domain-stats/

@jmcc

You either did an amazing solo job:xf.smile: or got some help along the way @Reddstagg, as CENTR in their last report single it, and a couple others, out.
"The Irish ccTLD (.ie) has performed particularly well, having recorded high growth and an increased global Cisco rank. It has done this without compromising its renewal ratio which is above the European average, and also by keeping deletions low."
Best wishes to all investing in .ie.
Bob

•••
There are so many countries across the world where the ccTLD is the preferred choice. The Netherlands is an obvious one, with the .nl extension being in the top 10 globally. There's a very active aftermarket too, with many .nl domains selling for big bucks.

Here in Hong Kong you mainly see .com.hk or .hk domains being used (but the aftermarket is pretty much non-existent). I own a lot of very good one-word domains such as Launch.hk, Rise.hk and Lead.hk but I've only sold 1 so far which is Seed.hk

•••
•••
I see a lot of people talking about geography but I think there is a generation gap. Last couple of years .io and .co became common for startups and tech focused businesses.

I think zoomers don't understand what .com means, it doesn't make sense to them for it to have a monopoly since what they use it for is not a commercial experience on platforms like Facebook, Google and YouTube - free services. Yeah sure they use Amazon but I think most people order using Alexa now anyway.

Gen Z use extensions like .gg for popular apps and platforms and I see .xyz is becoming more common, in particular for cam sites. I like the management behind .xyz so I think it has potential.

•••
I apologize for, like many others, not picking up on the except country code reference in OP. But anyway, we have a nice discussion of country code going now :xf.smile:.

In @jmcc recent book he makes the point that it is the large number of adoptions and use by small businesses that really drive a TLD to succeed (hopefully paraphrasing that accurately). I think in a fair chunk of the Earth, we see that if you look at the majority of active websites, like real authentic ones, the country code has a slight lead, but if we look at say the top 100 or something, then .com will dominate. I would say that is true in Canada, and from what I read seems so in much of Europe. So who is king kind of depends on definition of king. A TLD like .de can be very strong in Germany, but in global impact, since most of use in Germany and a few other countries, not so much. But in Germany, it may well be king.

As a global presence, I can't see in near future anyone coming close to .com. However, particularly if politics continues to fracture globalization, it is possible that in many parts of the world country codes will become even stronger.

I don't see .org or .net in a position to challenge .com, nor do i see .co, .io etc. They will continue to probably grow use, but nowhere near to .com.

Most of the new extensions are meant to be niche players. That does not mean that they can't be successful in those niches, just that only a few (like .xyz) are general purpose like .com is (and those few don't seem destined for dominance). I think it is possible, but unlikely, that an extension like .news might become a challenge in the news sector, and others in other niches, so collectively they might dent the .com dominance a bit, but we are nowhere near actually seeing that yet.

I see, unlike some or many probably, that the dominance of .com will slowly weaken, but it will still be #1 for a long time. Probably much longer than my horizon in domain names.

Bob

For me it's .se that is number one, I was chatting with a friend who is a locksmith and safecracker two nights ago and I started checking some of his brilliant .se names, we talked a lot about phone numbers as well. I am helping him with a site to tie together all his .se domains... and his matching .com domain names. Yes people do that here. For that I will get a 08 NNN 000 telephone number, another great investment. Investment is part of it too. Maybe the business will provide a nice exit later on and all these extras will be good assets that help close the deal. I bought a really great name for the scandinavian market that I saw had dropped a few days ago. The .com is taken and for sale but not required for just this niche.

The main reason I think .com is popular here as well is that if we ever cross a border with the site, for example, a Swedish site gets Finnish or Danish customers, then we secure all of those ccTLDs and the .com for our eventual English translation of the site. After all english is our 2nd national language nowadays (maybe a shared 2nd place). If it's a tech site then more likely it will have an English priority (if non Swedish speakers work in the company and there is a meeting, the meeting may be held in Swedish if everybody understands, otherwise it has to be held in English) and the website will be in English as well... in this case Swedish will not be a part of the site at all.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back