Dynadot

Will .Com ever die?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am a strong believer that ".Com" will always be King, but when I talk to a lot of other domainers, they suggest that ".Com" will die within the next few years.

Just wanted to here some opinions on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.Com and Jazz Are Alive and Thriving!

It's going to be an uphill battle trying to convince 128,000,000 .com owners to suddenly drop their .com domains to adopt something like MyCompanyName.shoes.

Not gonna happen anytime soon, no matter how hard you wish for it to happen.

A few end users might reg such a domain as an adjunct to their .coms, but not instead of.

You have to harbor realistic expectations in this industry because it can be brutal on your bank account to bet your entire stake on something so tenuous and untried. The first rule of investing: Diversify.

DNA, you have some lovely .us names, but the sad truth: U.S. end users prefer .com. Part of this has to do with the lack of advertising on Neustar's part and restrictions. Perhaps .us will enjoy more visibility on the coattails of the gTLDs, maybe not.

Now that doesn't mean that your .us domains are junk -- they're not. I, too, would hang onto those gems and hold out for good prices.

Another troubling aspect: the roll out of the new gTLDs has been less than spectacular: glitches galore. I have experienced a few, mostly with one registrar that wasn't quite prepared and another that "forgot" to set up nameservers for the new gTLDs. Also, it would be nice if a list of reserved and collision domains were provided so that potential users could check it before wasting time trying to register lists of names.

Amateur City.

But, nonetheless, I'm pretty certain that .com will remain robust for the foreseeable future.

And, and, and...

Jazz is alive and well!

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tpMhl1W9-o[/VIDEO]​

:imho:

•••
Anytime. Just trying to save ppl from stupidity.

I would like to thank Archangel for his obviously heartfelt and
sincere concern that my economic well being might be hurt
by my incompetant domaining.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back