IT.COM

Dot COM is king, every other extension sucks.

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
" Dot COM is king, every other extension sucks, Your name isn't worth anything, if only it was dot com"

I'm so tired of hearing this same line being said over & over again on this forum by myself and the mass majority here. Even for great one word names that people have registered on other extensions, the same thing is continuoulsy said in the domain appraisal thread.

I will no longer refer to dot com as being a good extension, and only support the weaker extensions for use for now on. That's one of my goal for 2009, to bring out the public awareness of the awesome other extensions that are available.

I'm disappoinited in ICANN for designating dot com as the only extension for widespread use, and all of the people involved with making that one extension the leader when it comes to domains. I dare any registrar to not even include dot com on their list of tld's to choose from, and to only support the exotic extensions. Seriously.. start supporting the other extensions! Put the rare beauties at the top of your list, and put dot com on the bottom. These 60+ other extensions are just as good, and the only way they will become players in the domain world, is to start using them, developing hot sites on them, and opening people's minds to realize dot com isn't the only extension...

For now on the dot com extension is dead to me. :bah:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Jimbojimbo said:
Finally, your bottom is starting to fall out of its pants as you realise you're a dinosaur.

Welcome to 2009!

I don't remember ever saying anything different to what I've said above, the domain market has never been easy but alot more money is made in some areas than others.

Didn't you say in another thread that you were "financially way down" on your .tv investments?

•••
Out of context

I said I'd spent the year 'buying' domains so I was bound to be down.

Main thing is - the world is changing - and some people will NEVER change with it.

Any jobs at Tandy?

•••
I think people like Brad and Ray said it best -- whatever works for you works for you.

These new extensions will come out and I'm sure we'll see some superstars from Namepros (maybe even some new domainers) find a real niche for themselves in some of them. Maybe it'll be IDN.IDN, maybe it's be something else -- who knows.

If you can make a living with .mobi, .tv, .us, etc, you have my respect.

•••
Jimbojimbo said:
Out of context

I said I'd spent the year 'buying' domains so I was bound to be down.

Any jobs at Tandy?

How is it out of context? You are here talking up .tv after I pointed out that I am yet to hear or anybodody making a living off it, yet in another thread you admit to being "way down"? Should people listen to someone has hasn't made anything from an investment that they constantly talk up?

-REECE- said:
If you can make a living with .mobi, .tv, .us, etc, you have my respect.

Agree, and I'm still try to find examples of those people.

•••
and snoop you continue to bash the .tv extension... come on get over your ego and stop trolling around the .tv forum...

•••
snoop said:
How is it out of context? You are here talking up .tv after I pointed out that I am yet to hear or anybodody making a living off it, yet in another thread you admit to being "way down"? Should people listen to someone has hasn't made anything from an investment that they constantly talk up?

I'm not here talking up .TV. I've not once tried to 'talk up' any extension during this thread. As I own more .com than anything else anything I would love the world of .Com to be better.

I'm simply here, finding it amusing, that you're admitting that there might actually be more than ONE extension on the planet.

Have a wonderful Christmas and I hope the New Year picks up for you.

•••
Jimbojimbo said:
I'm not here talking up .TV. I've not once tried to 'talk up' any extension during this thread.

You started arguing when I said .tv wasn't a new kid in the block (13 years old) and some might actually see it as representing a dying media,

Jimbojimbo said:
As I own more .com than anything else anything I would love the world of .Com to be better.

Almost all of your comments are about .tv,

http://www.namepros.com/search.php?searchid=2741249

•••
Mjnels has made a lot of money off .mobi, that much I know. Rob (u8l2) is now up to $3500/month from his developed .mobis, which is pretty darn respectable considering how mobile internet is still in it's infancy.

From my own experience in these more speculative markets over the years, you either have to be a lot better than your average domainer (better grasp on prices + direction of the market) or you have to develop if you want to be successful.

snoop said:
Agree, and I'm still try to find examples of those people.

•••
-REECE- said:
Mjnels has made a lot of money off .mobi, that much I know. Rob (u8l2) is now up to $3500/month from his developed .mobis, which is pretty darn respectable considering how mobile internet is still in it's infancy.

Yeah Mjnels was the person I was thinking of when I said I knew of one person who I think is making a living off .mobi. I know of a couple who I think are making a living off .info also, they are at the very top of that market.

-REECE- said:
From my own experience in these more speculative markets over the years, you either have to be a lot better than your average domainer (better grasp on prices + direction of the market) or you have to develop if you want to be successful.

Yes agree, personally I do not like the odds in the spec tlds.

•••
snoop said:
Almost all of your comments are about .tv

And almost ALL your comments are about the past!!!

Once again...

Have a Happy Christmas and a PROSPEROUS New Year

Bedtime in JimboJimbo timezone Night night
(reminder to self - don't have nightmares about that nasty old man again)

•••
Jimbojimbo said:
And almost ALL your comments are about the past!!!

They are grounded in today's reality, making money now. Don't be one of these people who is constantly talking about making money at some distant and uncertain point.

•••
sounds like alot of cranky domainers to me

•••
.com is king in general but in some places the ccTLD is king (.de, .co.uk, etc.) and thats why these (.com and strong ccTLDs) are probably the best investment options. .net and .org are good but unless you get a bargain you are better off investing in .com or strong ccTLDs. I like .tv and .me but they are both longer term investments IMO and regfee is high which doesnt make them great investments. Plus right now .me has a lot of hype so its not the time to buy, its the time to sell .me and most good .tv have premium renewal. I think an alternative extension for investment is .info because it does appear to be undervalued and you can buy them cheap or even reg them really cheap and make good ROI because for some reason end users buy them, seems like everyday I hear someone making a .info end user sale. Doesnt make sense to me since I dont really like it but it seems a decent investment to me. .biz is no good, its an old extension but never done much and seems to be almost going backwards. .mobi might do something some day but it will be a long term investment and no guarentee that it will ever be any good so not a good investment, .pro is similar and also has a higher reg fee I believe. .asia is just bad, stay away.

I think thats most covered, only thing left is the soon to come IDN extensions. They will be a great opportunity IMO and its probably the best investment you will find in terms of a new extension. Some could and probably will become the .com of their language.

This is all just my opinion though and I may be wrong but it seems correct to me and from my past experience .com is by far the easiest to make money on if you have half a brain. Some people seem to make good money in alternative extensions and thats great for them and I wish them more good luck with it but for me its never really worked out with different extensions.

Last edited:
•••
Well said. IDN.IDN will be very interesting.

d3N said:
I think thats most covered, only thing left is the soon to come IDN extensions. They will be a great opportunity IMO and its probably the best investment you will find in terms of a new extension. Some could and probably will become the .com of their language.

This is all just my opinion though and I may be wrong but it seems correct to me and from my past experience .com is by far the easiest to make money on if you have half a brain. Some people seem to make good money in alternative extensions and thats great for them and I wish them more good luck with it but for me its never really worked out with different extensions.

•••
Kind of getting tired of this same Old BS....

Someone said to renew your domains for 10+ years so Google will index the site and good for the ranking.

IMHO, that the biggest bunch of BS and I think that someone must be working for godaddy.
Show me the data to valid that claim.

Soon someone will said that if the owner's name of the domain is OBama or Kennedy and the address is White house DC area, then your site will be more valid.

What a bunch of crap!!

•••
animeenergy said:

Someone said to renew your domains for 10+ years so Google will index the site and good for the ranking.

IMHO, that the biggest bunch of BS and I think that someone must be working for godaddy.

Soon someone will said that if the owner's name of the domain is OBama or Kennedy and the address is White house DC area, then your site will be more valid.

What a bunch of crap!!
It appears to not be crap. I didnt believe it neither. I think its actually how long a domain has been indexed by google which affected rankings but I have noticed recently that it may in fact be just domain age.

•••
Good article here which I agree with: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/domain-age-how-important-is-it-for-seo/7296/

Domain age is at most a small factor, more important is website age. I'd give more weight to how many years a domain has been renewed in advance -- that seems like a better indicator of site quality than how old a domain is.

I think most domainers just like old domains because they're old -- a few seem to have the same confused idea a few WM have that an old domain is the secret to top rankings...

An old website implies an old domain -- I'm guessing that's where the whole concept comes from. An old domain that was never developed, never included in the SERPs, or parked is not going to get an advantage in the SERPs because it was registered years ago.

animeenergy said:

Soon someone will said if that if the owner's name of the domain is OBama or Kennedy and the address is White house DC area, then your site will be more valid.

What a bunch of crap!!

•••
In time, .PRO will be the TLD sleeper. Why? Even years before the Internet, "pro" was already being used as both prefix and suffix because it added instant credibility to thousands of generic business names already in existence.

Hypothetical Scenario as Proof

If you were raised by a clan of wolves in the wild and knew nothing of the Internet nor domain buying habits, prices and preferences, but the wolf clan sent you into the world of humans to secure this thing known as a "URL" for the purpose of selling a magical shimmering canvas that held fantastical miniature images of the great forest realm, which of the following would you choose in exchange for the single red cape entrusted to you by the wolfen elders?

A. HomeTheater.com

B. HomeTheater.net
(Wouldn't be surprised if reaction to this TLD was a bit negative)

C. HomeTheater.org

D. HomeTheater.info

E. HomeTheater.pro

F. HomeTheater.wlf*

Correct answer appears at bottom of this frame.

(E) HomeTheater.pro

*(Only after "gathering" additional 99,000+ capes and making application to ICANN for very own wTLD)

Last edited:
•••
I guess we could say you're Pro-2009 then? Maybe Obama will buy Change.pro :)

WordWalker said:
In time, .PRO will be the TLD sleeper. Why? Even years before the Internet, "pro" was already being used as both prefix and suffix because it added instant credibility to thousands of generic business names already in existence.

If you were raised by a clan of wolves in the forest and knew nothing of the Internet nor domain buying habits, prices and preferences, but the wolf clan sent you into the world of humans to secure this thing known as a "URL" for the purpose of selling a magical shimmering canvas that held fantastical miniature images of the great forest realm, which of the following would you choose in exchange for the single red cape entrusted to you by the wolfen elders?

A. HomeTheater.com

B. HomeTheater.net

C. HomeTheater.org

D. HomeTheater.info

E. HomeTheater.pro

F. HomeTheater.wlf*

(E) HomeTheater.pro

*(Only after "gathering" additional 99,000+ capes and making application to ICANN for very own wTLD)

•••
WordWalker said:

If you were raised by a clan of wolves in the forest and knew nothing of the Internet nor domain buying habits, prices and preferences, but the wolf clan sent you into the world of humans to secure this thing known as a "URL" for the purpose of selling a magical shimmering canvas that held fantastical miniature images of the great forest realm, which of the following would you choose in exchange for the single red cape entrusted to you by the wolfen elders?

A. HomeTheater.com

B. HomeTheater.net

C. HomeTheater.org

D. HomeTheater.info

E. HomeTheater.pro

F. HomeTheater.wlf*

(E) HomeTheater.pro

It will take a long time for .pro to become popular and the restrictions, lack of development and higher reg fees dont help.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back