If and when India catches up (1.3 billion population), .in will be in top 3.
There's also the possibility that the asking price from HugeDomains for the .com was out of reach for the buyer.
You either did an amazing solo jobAnd I started a one man revolution for .IE .....that's because I'm Kook.ie
Interesting point.One more thing - the language. For English words/phrases .com makes sense. For some languages like Spanish, that are used across many countries, makes some sense as well. But for languages that are spoken mainly in one or two countries, ccTLDs will perform an order of magnitude better. .com will be seen as inferior in lots of cases. Secondary choice at best.
I think in Italy and Turkey .net is comparable to .com but I'm not sure.
In UK, if people don't prefer .com, then they should drop .co in their .co.uk, but they don't. It is like Germans preferring .co.de to .de. Very strange.
In Russia, I suspect .biz and .pro are more popular compared to other countries.
Can .biz replace .com after corona?
You either did an amazing solo jobor got some help along the way @Reddstagg, as CENTR in their last report single it, and a couple others, out.
"The Irish ccTLD (.ie) has performed particularly well, having recorded high growth and an increased global Cisco rank. It has done this without compromising its renewal ratio which is above the European average, and also by keeping deletions low."Best wishes to all investing in .ie.
Bob
LOL Wow!Don't know where but for me .com is not king.
Here is the last 28 days performance of my autopilot website which I build on .pw domain. Yeah you read it clearly. It's a .PW domain beating many of its .com competitors in Google search.
Show attachment 151994
Ps:- I am domainer too, so I always tell my customer .com is king![]()
Thanks, but thats ok..it never came to me, the extent of detail of education and information about ccTLDs would come out of this for these types of domain extensions rivaling (versus) the .com LOLthe OP said excluding ccTLDs and the thread turned to be exclusively about ccTLDs discussion lol
If we exclude ccTLDs then .com will almost always be king except in some few situations like:
- .org for non-profit & NGOs is much better than .com
- .edu for educational institutions
- .gov for governmental institutions
- clever domain hacks like these ending with ly
- url shortners
Thanks, but thats ok..it never came to me, the extent of detail of education and information about ccTLDs would come out of this for these types of domain extensions rivaling (versus) the .com LOL
Also thanks for your list. This list references USA activity more specifically correct?
I apologize for, like many others, not picking up on the except country code reference in OP. But anyway, we have a nice discussion of country code going nowI apologize for, like many others, not picking up on the except country code reference in OP. But anyway, we have a nice discussion of country code going now.
In @jmcc recent book he makes the point that it is the large number of adoptions and use by small businesses that really drive a TLD to succeed (hopefully paraphrasing that accurately). I think in a fair chunk of the Earth, we see that if you look at the majority of active websites, like real authentic ones, the country code has a slight lead, but if we look at say the top 100 or something, then .com will dominate. I would say that is true in Canada, and from what I read seems so in much of Europe. So who is king kind of depends on definition of king. A TLD like .de can be very strong in Germany, but in global impact, since most of use in Germany and a few other countries, not so much. But in Germany, it may well be king.
As a global presence, I can't see in near future anyone coming close to .com. However, particularly if politics continues to fracture globalization, it is possible that in many parts of the world country codes will become even stronger.
I don't see .org or .net in a position to challenge .com, nor do i see .co, .io etc. They will continue to probably grow use, but nowhere near to .com.
Most of the new extensions are meant to be niche players. That does not mean that they can't be successful in those niches, just that only a few (like .xyz) are general purpose like .com is (and those few don't seem destined for dominance). I think it is possible, but unlikely, that an extension like .news might become a challenge in the news sector, and others in other niches, so collectively they might dent the .com dominance a bit, but we are nowhere near actually seeing that yet.
I see, unlike some or many probably, that the dominance of .com will slowly weaken, but it will still be #1 for a long time. Probably much longer than my horizon in domain names.
Bob

