NameSilo

question What is your biggest mistake in Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello Guys
As in title.
For me, It is the investing in 5L.com Chips.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. taking more than required time in research of domains, specially whenever good domains are available for hand registration or godaddy closeout auctions, i'm like are you really sure these domains are worth and if they are worth why are others not regging up, then after few minutes i notice those domains are gone and listed on sedo or other martketplaces for $300-500, few times even $1K+ there is a reason for me taking time because i used to register lot of unworthy useless domains initially without thinking much, i need to find a balance between this , neither registering quickly w/o giving a thought nor taking too much time for it and going in deep research.

2. Letting go away lot of cheap 5N .com domain offers for low price. i was like who the fuck will care for these numeric domains, didnt had any idea about chinese domainers.

3. i had got offer for one domain $1000 and that email went to spam, i noticed it after few weeks and believed it must not be a genuine offer, then after few days i somehow decided to reply to that email to later realize the guy and offer was genuine, he needed it quickly, after waiting for my response almost a month, he just bought another similar domain for $2000+, only 2 days before i responded, he said he would have given me upto $1500-2000K like he paid to get similar domain, the best offer i have got after this for that domain is just $80, i wish i should have replied him when i had seen that email.

4. this is quite silly but i usually forget to put coupon or correcting the registration period of 5 years which is automated in lot of registrations like godaddy.

5. Time management

Last edited:
•••
Not getting in on the action back in 1999/2000/2001

•••
handregging domains at the height of the chinese bubble and not unloading them fast enough. :oops:

•••
My biggest mistake was I ever invested in numerical names especially NNNN.coms and other mistake was dropped all hand reged NNNNN.com to save renewal fee.

•••
1. Joined too late!
2. Accepted an offer soon (because of $3k) from big boy.
3. 5L

•••
Easy one to answer. Believing estibot values when I first bought domains. I really believed the $10 hand reg was worth 4K.

Still you live and learn.

Best,
Paul

•••
I don't think I've made any mistakes. Made plenty of bad guesses but I don't regard them as mistakes as domaining is all about speculating and taking a chance.

•••
I really believed the $10 hand reg was worth 4K

I sold a "hand reg" for £5,000 ($8,000). That was in 2000, mind you!

•••
I sold two names on NamePros one for $1 and another for $2 and later got $2500, and $4000 offers for them just 4-5 months later.

your kidding were the buyers who own it now Chinese? or western endusers?

•••
one thing I regret is registering MDMAVR.com and VRMDMA.com and then two days later wanted a refund because I don't know why just thought it was not going to work.

originally I wanted ecstasyVR.com and it was taken then figured maybe the technical word for Ecstasy would be good. then thought this was a 6L.com plus other things I forget now.

After deleting. someone snatched it up.

I did a Google keyword check and found out it gets 450,000 searches per month!

most of my vr domain keyword+VR doesn't even get half that much!

I killed a bottle of 151 that day and still have a hole in my sheetrock wall.

speaking of which. I need to go to home depot. lol

Last edited:
•••
your kidding were the buyers who own it now Chinese? or western endusers?
It was both dot com words, One was so bad I am shocked it got an offer of 2500. It was 3 words domain.

•••
•••
It was both dot com words, One was so bad I am shocked it got an offer of 2500. It was 3 words domain.

WOW! so do you think there is better possibilities with say 5L.com's where it has "VR" in it? or 360? or IOT? or IOE?

I started getting IOE 5L.com's as I think IOE is going to surpase IOT.

who knows maybe my next post here will be.

"My biggest regret was registering 5L IOE,IOT,and VR related .coms"

lol

it's all a crap shoot this domaining thing. unless you focus mainly on drops.

•••
I did a Google keyword check and found out it gets 450,000 searches per month!

you mean you checked with Google Adwords?

For me MDMA gets 60k a month broad and MDMA VR and Ecstasy VR both 0 searches.

Seems strange that MDMA VR would get more than MDMA. 450.000 a month is a lot and MDMA VR seems to be a rather obscure term.

•••
MDMA VR has 0 exact searches.
MD MA has 110 searches.

•••
you mean you checked with Google Adwords?

For me MDMA gets 60k a month broad and MDMA VR and Ecstasy VR both 0 searches.

Seems strange that MDMA VR would get more than MDMA. 450.000 a month is a lot and MDMA VR seems to be a rather obscure term.

well correct me if I'm wrong I understand that if you are to use Google Adwords keyword planner to check for monthly keyword searches.

the way find out if you have a good multiple keyword domain is to input thee entire string of keywords in your domain.

but I was under the assumption that say something like putting the keyword "sex" in front of a domain would mean it would benefit from the obvious millions of searches per month for the keyword "sex"

am I wrong in this?

either way I think "someone" got MDMA because it sounds good as a "drug" reference for VR.

you can check all recreational drugs imaginable and you will find most are taken when combo'ed with VR.

I hope someone can clarify for me the whole google keyword planner usage. as I suspect I have been using it wrong. and only focusing on the first keyword of my two keyword domains.

must it always been thee entire string of keywords?

•••
well correct me if I'm wrong I understand that if you are to use Google Adwords keyword planner to check for monthly keyword searches.

the way find out if you have a good multiple keyword domain is to input thee entire string of keywords in your domain.

but I was under the assumption that say something like putting the keyword "sex" in front of a domain would mean it would benefit from the obvious millions of searches per month for the keyword "sex"

am I wrong in this?

either way I think "someone" got MDMA because it sounds good as a "drug" reference for VR.

you can check all recreational drugs imaginable and you will find most are taken when combo'ed with VR.

I hope someone can clarify for me the whole google keyword planner usage. as I suspect I have been using it wrong. and only focusing on the first keyword of my two keyword domains.

must it always been thee entire string of keywords?

Yes exact match is always the entire string.

Otherwise everyone could have ultra strong exact match domains. I could combine weather+bigfoot and have an ultra premium exact match domain.

Domains don't need to have exact searches to have value but usually if you have a domain with a lot of monthly searches and it is .com is valuable.

It is just a metric that is used in the domain community. You can ignore that metric if you want but I think it can be very helpful for certain domains. For brandables or chips it is fairly useless as a metric.

When people talk about having a domain with xxxx monthly exact searches they mean that the term (with spaces between the words) gets xxxx searches a month according to the Google keyword tool.

The way you do that is to create an ad with the words and set them to exact match to preview how many monthly impression you would get.

example: You put this in an ad campaign [MDMA VR] and check how many daily impression it gets. Then you can multiply that by 30.

In that case it has zero searches.

That doesn't mean that it is worthless. Short acronym domains are not valued with Google adwords usually but if they do get searches that could be a good sign.

Again it is just one of many metrics and you can value a domain without it.

Last edited:
•••
Believing in what I feel (without any knowledge at all) rather than looking at the reality (trends and market).

•••
Laziness, that's my biggest mistake

•••
Missing the Chinese bubble was my biggest mistake. I had the money and knowledge but was reluctant to invest. This is something I still regret the decision.

•••
1. Jumping in without thinking.
2. Hand regg'd domains
3. Thought across the lines of xxxx sold for $xxxx, so xxxx+any other keyword would sell as much.
4. Pitching to end-users who run a one-man business. That was a pain. A real pain.
5. Not coming to NP before buying my first domain(s).

•••
Biggest mistake: Impatience, e.g. letting (good but young) domains drop before they are ripe for the aftermarket.

•••
•••
What about of the renewal fees for them, when you are investing in a huge quantity..
For example, if you have 1000 domains, are you going to spend another $8k to renew them?
.com prices on the rise! Book ahead.. How can anyone seriously manage 1000 domains? Must be affluent. And to much time to spare.. Hehe

•••
not holding on to my only NNNN.com in early 2015 - I still had a good flip but would've made $15k more if I held onto it..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back