Dynadot

question What is your biggest mistake in Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello Guys
As in title.
For me, It is the investing in 5L.com Chips.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I sold two names on NamePros one for $1 and another for $2 and later got $2500, and $4000 offers for them just 4-5 months later.

•••
Regging names while drinking

•••
Not joining the party earlier

•••
Not taking a 10k offer on sports related domain... The only offer I've ever received.

•••
•••
Believing in hype brought up by others in the beginning. Seems every time gotta do this it's the latest thing crap comes around bottom falls out months later.

•••
Lucky not to make any huge mistake worth mentioning and ALHUMDULLILAH most of the time going in right direction.

•••
I threw away a lot of money when I first started in domaining. I've since figured out how to find much better domain names, but now I'm struggling to find the money to aquire them. I sort of dug a hole for myself to get out of.

•••
Buying domains without putting any real thoughts into their brandability, and who they would appeal to. Anyone can buy domains but to be successful requires research and some thought..

•••
Not getting in on the action back in 1999/2000/2001

•••
Laziness, that's my biggest mistake

•••
Because their value now:
Gone with the Wind

Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before 5L coms become the new 4L coms and you'll wish you had the foresight to invest in more "valuable" ones when you had the chance...
They are a "long-term" liquid asset investment. May not be an immediate return on investment, but a valuable one.

Last edited:
•••
My biggest mistake is letting names go to auction with too low a price hoping the auction attention would jack up the price, now I wont let a name go to auction unless the price starts at the minimum I would be willing to sell it for.

•••
•••
•••
5l.com chips as well. Burnt around $10k on them with 0 back and fully expect to just delete them come renewals in a few months. No more chasing trends and fads for me hopefully. A big lesson learnt and I knew within a couple of months or so that I had made a big mistake following the hype but was too late then to get out.

•••
1. taking more than required time in research of domains, specially whenever good domains are available for hand registration or godaddy closeout auctions, i'm like are you really sure these domains are worth and if they are worth why are others not regging up, then after few minutes i notice those domains are gone and listed on sedo or other martketplaces for $300-500, few times even $1K+ there is a reason for me taking time because i used to register lot of unworthy useless domains initially without thinking much, i need to find a balance between this , neither registering quickly w/o giving a thought nor taking too much time for it and going in deep research.

2. Letting go away lot of cheap 5N .com domain offers for low price. i was like who the fuck will care for these numeric domains, didnt had any idea about chinese domainers.

3. i had got offer for one domain $1000 and that email went to spam, i noticed it after few weeks and believed it must not be a genuine offer, then after few days i somehow decided to reply to that email to later realize the guy and offer was genuine, he needed it quickly, after waiting for my response almost a month, he just bought another similar domain for $2000+, only 2 days before i responded, he said he would have given me upto $1500-2000K like he paid to get similar domain, the best offer i have got after this for that domain is just $80, i wish i should have replied him when i had seen that email.

4. this is quite silly but i usually forget to put coupon or correcting the registration period of 5 years which is automated in lot of registrations like godaddy.

5. Time management

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't define myself as a domainer really - I just have a professional interest in the domain business and in particularly new gTLDs - but I have a small portfolio of (I think) good names that I've acquired one way or the other over the years. I've had various unsolicited offers on some of these names. I wish I'd more actively pursued those potential buyers. Equally, there are domains that I could have acquired and didn't. In one case I know that a domain I could have acquired for $500 sold for a relatively high (around $4k) sum. But equally, for every domain you acquire that might sell, there are ten more that you're tempted into that don't.

•••
Purchasing domains that I had to hand over to owner due to IP rights...

•••
Buying domain at auction at high price which has one end user target, they had every other extension except .com and after contacting them they asked for the price and it's been 1 year they never turned up even after regular follow ups ..and it's now renewL time .

Moral of the story never invest big depending upon 1 end user ..buy names which h has minimum 25 to 30 endusers

Last edited:
•••
Easy one to answer. Believing estibot values when I first bought domains. I really believed the $10 hand reg was worth 4K.

Still you live and learn.

Best,
Paul

•••
Regg'ing crap that had grand ideas for.

My ambition far outweighs my time and finances haha.

•••
Late 1990s, buying many EMDs in a niche marketplace and, over valuing their marketplace value ; rejecting $$$$ purchase offers while holding out for never - to - materialize $$$$$ offers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back