Dynadot

question What is your biggest mistake in Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello Guys
As in title.
For me, It is the investing in 5L.com Chips.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wonder what dialup.com is worth today, just shows you how its good to stay up on new technology
Judging by what I'm reading around. most domainers
are after big money... and their account is always in red
between sold and renewal.
Please, allow me to suggest you something you can solve
that problem.
If you think out of the box, you can buy a $9.00 DN and
turn around and sell it for $65.00. Obviously, you may do better.
Let's do the numbers:
$65 - 9 รท 9 = 622.2222% Gross Profit meaning $56.00.
In what another kind of selling transaction could you do that
gross profit? Go ahead, I'm listening... which one?
Dedicate part of your working time and try it without giving up.
The distance between you and your goal is call Action.

Moviedeo, Your plan doesn't take into account most domainers carry a large inventory which is an expense
if all there inventory sold every year with a 622 percent profit then you would be right, but most don't sell that many,most don't even sell 10 percent of their inventory. I agree with you on the point most domainers are looking for giant sales and miss the forest for the trees. Better to have one in the hand than 2 in the bush.I prefer to sell in the middle of the market 1 or 2 sales covering all my reg fees then any additional sales are profit. Your plan is good for you because you obviously reg decent names to be able to resell them all.
but most names we see here aren't worth reg fee.Some of mine included.
Joe T

•••
Please can you put me thru on how to get good DN, this has always being my major problem. What do you use in searching for a good DN because going by what you said about reg $9 DN and reselling at $65 makes a lot of sense to me

•••
DN = not dot.net, but abbreviation for DomainName.
Please can you put me thru on how to get good DN, this has always being my major problem. What do you use in searching for a good DN because going by what you said about reg $9 DN and reselling at $65 makes a lot of sense to me

•••
I wonder what dialup.com is worth today, just shows you how its good to stay up on new technology

Moviedeo, Your plan doesn't take into account most domainers carry a large inventory which is an expense
if all there inventory sold every year with a 622 percent profit then you would be right, but most don't sell that many,most don't even sell 10 percent of their inventory. I agree with you on the point most domainers are looking for giant sales and miss the forest for the trees. Better to have one in the hand than 2 in the bush.I prefer to sell in the middle of the market 1 or 2 sales covering all my reg fees then any additional sales are profit. Your plan is good for you because you obviously reg decent names to be able to resell them all.
but most names we see here aren't worth reg fee.Some of mine included.
Joe T
How do u search for domains, I would be grateful if you can throw some lights on what you do to make sure that you sell at least 10% of your inventory. I have 9 that are about to expire now.
I even thought of giving them out for just $50 if i see anyone interested in them
TECHNICALDEGREEONLINE.COM
MANPOLO.COM
MUTUALHOMELOAN.COM
SUMMARYGAME.COM
3HOUD.COM
AGIC.CO
FUMCOP.COM
PLACEOFSTONES.COM
ITSOREGON.COM

•••

You need intuition in registering domains that can sell at your price-point. Whether it's $65 or $6500. It always helps to have your strategy for your sale in place for a domain, before you buy it.

•••
My biggest mistake so far...
Not reading and studying up on domain investing until i had it remotely figured out while staying completely away from hand regs until i knew what to look for..
In the first week i had registered over 500 domains. People believe they know the secret and regging a good name is simple (if you think it sounds right or looks cool its worth a fortune right? :( ) would be nice but no, New people need to get it through their heads that it is just like any other investment.. LEARN about it before investing...

•••
Taking a break from domaining and dropping my 4 letter .com domains.

•••
You need intuition in registering domains that can sell at your price-point. Whether it's $65 or $6500. It always helps to have your strategy for your sale in place for a domain, before you buy it.
Can u give me an example of the strategy u use cos i all i do is buy contact endusers and list them, that is all and if no one replies, i pray it sells at listing

•••
Misspell the domain name, it is costly and time consuming

•••
Buying new gTLD's for fast flipping...

•••
James Charles,

Sorry, I didn't answer you because health issues.
Like Domainstore mentioned to you, DN = domain name.

•••
Following my heart rather than my head when I began to dip my toes into domaining.

Ended up buying lots of crappy names and wasting money.

Now I don't give a flying fish to what my heart says.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Good to learn a few things through this thread ... Thanks

•••
investing in 6N.com

I did not do any major mistakes that cost me a lot of money but I guess I should not have let myself try the 5L, 6N and even 7N (yeah!!) rush for big buck!!
In total that represents around 125 domains, $1,000 down the drain.

I started low-key domaining about 2-.2,5 years ago, so missed all the short .com, the 3N, 4N, 5N action so when i started I regged about 60 domains in the space of about a year. Mostly not great but sold a few shortish .com brandables for a small profit. But I also picked up a handful of 6N .coms, hoping the market would progress to make them valuable.
Luckily enough, I sold them all(all of which were picked up with GD coupon codes for 1-2euros) for anything from 75-200 euros.

So the 6N's bailed me out and got me off the hook with my other early domaining mistakes!

So a bit surprised to read a few others saying 6N .coms were their biggest mistake.

M88

•••
same owner of this thread, biggest mistake is investing in 5l.com chips! :)

•••
My biggest buying mistake is probably buying a few 5n .info domains, but literally only about 5(as I said, only low level domaining!)

Also wish I'd learnt more about selling beforehand, I look on namebio and see some questionable names going for XXX/XXXX - I suppose thats what keeps us all going! But how to get there...

M88

•••
I regret that i sold too cheap R E G I S T R Y . C O M P A N Y :(

•••
Iโ€™ve only been going a year so donโ€™t regret too much, Iโ€™ve think Iโ€™ve done good in my aftermarket buys.

Regrets I probably do have is not taking an opportunity when I had chance, a couple of times Iโ€™ve had the chance to buy a very good domain and I stalled buying it and that opportunity never arose again โ€“ But saying that better opportunities came up 1 or 2 months later, which I did buy and may have never bought if I bought the others previous.

Thereโ€™s been 1 or 2 times when Iโ€™ve tried to buy a name and I think to myself now โ€˜Iโ€™m so glad they turned down my offerโ€™ I remember bidding $4000 on this 1 domain (when I was a little more inexperienced) and the owner turned it down and so glad they did looking back at it now, very good keyword but the domain never made sense, $4000 they should have snatched my hand off.

Last edited:
•••
Biggest mistake so far was getting caught up in the CHIP craze and overpaying for a 4L .com containing a V. Didn't realize this made it non premium. Lesson learnt.

•••
•••
Regging without doing proper research. I've registered a domain in the past that had a tonne of spammy links pointing too it.

•••
New people need to get it through their heads that it is just like any other investment.. LEARN about it before investing...
Agreed, but with domaining people can spend low and try to sell fast, it is very attractive, as opposed to stocks and shares or whatever, which everyone knows is a pros game right? Domaining is the same, but because you can reg for $5 or a little more people get their creative juices flowing thinking of getting rich quick (who can blame them).

•••

How do u search for domains, I would be grateful if you can throw some lights on what you do to make sure that you sell at least 10% of your inventory. I have 9 that are about to expire now.
I even thought of giving them out for just $50 if i see anyone interested in them
TECHNICALDEGREEONLINE.COM
MANPOLO.COM
MUTUALHOMELOAN.COM
SUMMARYGAME.COM
3HOUD.COM
AGIC.CO
FUMCOP.COM
PLACEOFSTONES.COM
ITSOREGON.COM

Can u give me an example of the strategy u use cos i all i do is buy contact endusers and list them, that is all and if no one replies, i pray it sells at listing

The info is already out there for your level. You just need to spend the time reading this forum and other domain blogs and video channels. No-one can give you one sentence or paragraph that will send you on your way to making money. It's something you have to learn, over time, with a lot of work and effort.

The names you listed are not really worth anything to be brutally honest, sorry.
Good luck :)

•••
I wouldn't call it a BIG mistake because I've only lost about $200, investing in non-chip .net's...but well I belive I'll get most of my money back even though they are expiring soon.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the pageโ€™s height.
Back