Dynadot

Time to invest .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
After google decision is it worth investing in xyz extension? Will it's value increase?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
But compare the names on this thread and a single number?? Its not really the same is it? Nobody on this thread owns single letter or number names

Its like comparing TorontoTechCompany.com and 6.com....apples and oranges??

Just another freakish chinese sale in a new extension like you always get (Chinese investor from Toronto)

Says nothing about the extension...

You and I both know how it works. The numbers get bought out. They get resold. Then a couple years pass and in that time numbers keep going up and number domains sell in the extension. Afterwards companies and end users start to see potential and the modern generations says hey that sounds pretty cool, XYZ. And voila then you have people start buying keywords which is my inventory and many other investors I know and then after another couple years we have double keywords and higher number sales for 4N and 4L ... Then boom we have an empire running off the sales of XYZ.

"Only time will tell..." ;)

•••
btw I dont know the number market but I am getting offers for two of my .xyz names

•••
•••
•••
Then a couple years pass and in that time numbers keep going up and number domains sell in the extension

Not having a go because you are new, but you haven't been domaining long enough to know what happens to new extensions in a couple of years

Have a look at the new extension threads from the past and you will see what happens to them, they die

I am happy to post the links if you prefer :rolleyes:

•••
Not having a go because you are new, but you haven't been domaining long enough to know what happens to new extensions in a couple of years

Have a look at the new extension threads from the past and you will see what happens to them, they die

I am happy to post the links if you prefer :rolleyes:

Lol. Is that you're only defense ? I am new; sure I am but I've met a lot of powerful figures in this game and as a whole. I've spoken to some of the best around including Ali ... I've seen both worlds and you're wrong when you say this extension will die out. I am not even sure where you're getting that idea. Clearly you haven't been keeping up with XYZ news.

•••
Lol. Is that you're only defense ? I am new; sure I am but I've met a lot of powerful figures in this game and as a whole. I've spoken to some of the best around including Ali ... I've seen both worlds and you're wrong when you say this extension will die out. I am not even sure where you're getting that idea. Clearly you haven't been keeping up with XYZ news.

Please share the news you are talking about...you only have to compare the amount of registrations to the number of sales...seriously...anyone can tell where its heading

I do wish you all the best the best though, just dont put all your eggs in one basket

•••
Please share the news you are talking about...you only have to compare the amount of registrations to the number of sales...seriously...anyone can tell where its heading

I do wish you all the best the best though, just dont put all your eggs in one basket

You're right about one thing. Don't put you're eggs all in one basket and I don't. I sell TLDs today and hold my GTLDs for the future. You can't honestly tell me Wines.XYZ and Whiskey.XYZ are hand reg names ? Lol ;) I don't think there's an argument to be made

•••

It's fine to use patterns of past TLD popularity increase to project a "potential" pattern for new TLDs, however, it is only a prediction, and there are various differences you need to factor in:

1. Different extensions work differently so cannot simply have a blanket prediction. eg .mobi is longer and has a specific niche (mobile), whereas (eg) .xyz doesn't
  2. More domainers/businesses every month means less availability overall in .com and others, which will naturally push other/new TLDs into popularity
  3. More businesses are becoming aware of the importance of a good keyword domain name (domainers also push this importance), means more .com taken
  4. Less .com (2, 3, and other reasons) means there will be no choice but to start using alternatives to .com
  5. New generations do things differently, so more modern domainers and businesses will be ok with newgTLDs, so become increasingly popular. The .mobi as a past "learning lesson" was in different times, so cannot just be applied to modern times and new generation opinions
  6. Etc

More extensions will rise up to meet demand requirements as the .com cannot continue to sustain the demand from constant global population and business increase. Estimates show that there are around 80 million more people per year. There are a finite number of decent .coms, and they cannot be forever recirculated given demand increase and businesses using them up.

I'm not saying .com will devalue, as it'll probably become more exclusive and so more expensive, and thus become "emperor"...

As for investment,. not all TLDs will become popular. Such as .mobi wasn't, but then who wants "LondonPlumbers.mobi"? There is no reason .xyz cannot become popular, even as popular as .net as another secondary to .com as demand dictates such a necessity. However I do think it will take another 2-3 years or more before they are worth "trading with", ie worth potential of $x,xxx - and I mean "in general", not like the odd one or two being sold now, as they are special and have the right end user.

It'll happen, it has to, but which TLDs and whether it's in the next few years or 15 or more years remains to be seen.

•••
More domainers/businesses every month means less availability overall in .com and others, which will naturally push other/new TLDs into popularity
The scarcity of good .com domains is nothing new, in fact the best domains were already gone in 1996. Yet people have not embraced alternate extensions. The difference now, is that the so-called 'legacy' TLDs are now more deeply ingrained than in the early days. They have solidified.
But if you don't mind waiting for another decade (or two), it's your call :)

New generations do things differently, so more modern domainers and businesses will be ok with newgTLDs, so become increasingly popular. The .mobi as a past "learning lesson" was in different times, so cannot just be applied to modern times and new generation opinions
Today's youth have grown up in a dotcom world, I am not sure what you're expecting ? Anyway, we are not talking about rapid change here. But the new generation is no less 'biased' than the older generation. Dreaming about the future is one thing, but we must also acknowledge the reality of the present.

More extensions will rise up to meet demand requirements as the .com cannot continue to sustain the demand from constant global population and business increase.
.com already has 120 million regs and growing, in theory there is no limit to the number of domains in a given zone. DNS does scale very well.
Cctlds have been gaining momentum too. Otherwise people tend to be 'creative', or they use longer dotcom domains. It's not like they are desperate to the point of using any random extension.
It's clear the tipping point is not reached yet, since the legacy extensions continue to outperform new extensions. Watch the figures, that will you where the market is headed.

Estimates show that there are around 80 million more people per year.
It's a flawed argument, even in the West, few people own a domain name. They use free E-mail, a blogging platform of some sort and facebook. They don't see the point of owning a domain name, unless it's for business (sad, but that's the way it is). So the demand for domain names is nowhere near the population increase. Especially when the population increase is going to take place in areas where the Internet is less mature. For example, if you are thinking of Africa, most African ccTLDs are underutilized, with very modest registration counts in the thousands, or even in the hundreds.

•••
Short answer: no, it's not. There is no real reason to invest in these opposed to many of the other new gTLDs out there. The reasons I see in this thread are laughable/amateurish.

•••
Short answer: no, it's not. There is no real reason to invest in these opposed to many of the other new gTLDs out there. The reasons I see in this thread are laughable/amateurish.

Thanx for your opinion. How laughable.

•••
Wines.XYZ and Whiskey.XYZ are hand reg names

Wines - the plural kills this one, and then the extension makes it worse
Whiskey - not the correct the spelling (I know you are going to send me google or wiki links showing places where people have spelt it like that, its still not correct)

I honestly would not have rend-regged these names, and you will find most domainers wouldnt have either

@james haw....this is a common myth with new domainers Im afraid, you need to read through all the old "new" extension threads as well

•••
I'm happy to take a chance

Has a lot more potential upside than .com. A lot more potential downside too but that's one reason I can think of.

•••
Just bought
Alpari.xyz
PirateShip.xyz
Goldbars.xyz
iPoker.xyz

•••
None of those keywords will sell, trust me.

From what I can see key words with .xyz don't sell. In fact, nothing sells with that extension. Before you throw namebio at me, which holds as much weight as estibot as people generally find a few rogue sales out of thousands, try looking at the auctions and witness it firsthand. It's similar when people say 7n .com is selling like crazy and post namebio stats, and at the auction good patterns aren't even selling at the reg fee. People like xyz because they come across a couple good key word buys they hand reg, and then it's off to the races and it's now the next biggest thing, and Google invested in it, yada yada. If it's such a good buy, send it to auction with a reserve.

Think of it this way. When numerics hit a few months back, SALES boomed, and still are. Either something takes off good out of the gate and explodes, or it doesn't forever. Similar with the new gTLDS that were a complete flop. When a new extension comes out, either it booms, or it's dead forever. Anyone ever see an extension come to life over the last decade? People say give it time, but we've all been doing that for a decade with new extensions and no time in the world will change it. I've been waiting for .mobi for a decade lol, and .co for a few years, which was a complete flop for the most part. Like with xyz, I've owned countless key words for .co and nobody will ever touch them. This is all just the reality of it and I've learned the hard way over the years. So keep waiting for the future of xyz, and let me know how that one works out for you. My apologies for the negative input, but it is what it is.

An extension has never suddenly exploded, nor recovered, in the history of domaining. When they first come out there are always big sales, and then they die. That's when Schwartz pounces. A new extension comes out, he grabs the best one and sells for a crazy high price on the hype, and he's gone forever. Meanwhile, years later people keep reciting that one big sale that took place and they continue to buy for years, and Schwartz won't ever touch it again, lol. He's almost a pump and dump artist. Gotta respect that type of domaining manipulation though.

•••
The best thing to do is to find a small drop-catcher that's good, place a back order, and hope for a real small bidding war.

•••
I started selling domains in 2003 and I regged in here at the end of 2014 . Does that mean I am new in this domaining? I find it really amuzing when someone uses one's registration date in NP as a proof that they just started.

I always liked .com and even hated all other extensions but even though I dont have a lot of .xyz, I see a lot of movement with all the good names and numeric domains gone. Just last month I made a list of N7s that were very good. Every week some where taken and the registrants were ALL Chinese.

You can say this is a hype and it will die but those who managed to get good names like Alesandro would reap the benefits someday.

Do you think 6N.nets worth something? Check recent sales in Namebio and see. The extension dis not stop thw buyer.

It is the first time I saw something might actually try to challenge the .com .

Would Money.xyz or Sex.xyz or Insurance.xyz worth something? Wouldnt you reg them if you had the chance?

Regarless of the extension, a premium name is AlWAYS premium.

I thought this thread died and then saw it is still active. I have FindCoupon.xyz and its plural.. I received $250 and $140 offers already for those.:)

•••
•••
•••
It's hard to reg good 2 keyword strings in xyz now. It's done really well in terms of whats reg'd and I've seen more sites up on xyz than other new extensions too.

Still a long way to go and we need to see considerably more end user demand.

•••
I thought this thread died and then saw it is still active. I have FindCoupon.xyz and its plural.. I received $250 and $140 offers already for those.:)

This is the exact hype that keeps people buying. Not only is FindCoupon.biz available, but there is no who-is record on findcoupon.xyz, which means you probably just bought it. Yep, a $250.00 offer, lol. It's these stories why people keep buying.

•••
Anyway, I'm out. Best of luck to all and truly hope you guys all do well!

You also might want to grab findcoupon.co. It's avail right now on a hand reg.

•••
Taking a chance is never really a bad thing. Even I have taken a few. :)

I couldn't get in on the ground floor but bought two juggernaut keywords for just over $1000. If xyz only gains parity with .net i'll x200 my investment. Just made sense to take a punt :)

I have no expectations whatsoever.

•••
This is the exact hype that keeps people buying. Not only is FindCoupon.biz available, but there is no who-is record on findcoupon.xyz, which means you probably just bought it. Yep, a $250.00 offer, lol. It's these stories why people keep buying.

So you are saying .biz is good? I thought you only liked numeric .infos as the market was going to explode :P

So you say there is no Whois record for FindCoupon.xyz? Reallly? Did theu delete my domaaaain?:P

Come on man... I suggest you change the website you use to check Whois info.

I like when someone tells me they sont believe I received offer for on of my domains.

But it is OK. I will hire someone and publish screen shots of every offer I receive.

Btw, Are we good on .infos? You know I bought some because of the hype you created and expect to make a lot of money :P

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back