IT.COM

Time to invest .xyz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
After google decision is it worth investing in xyz extension? Will it's value increase?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope, stay away from these strange extensions, they all fade away after the land-rush and the registrars have made a killing out it

Everyone said the same thing about .CO when ..

Amazon bought A.co
Twitter bought no_url_shorteners
Google bought G.co

•••
Buying Google stock would make more sense...

•••
Here is the answer:

ABC.XYZ = a short and valuable domain

99.5% of .XYZ names = worthless

.XYZ sales will probably rise for a while. So if you can grab a nice name like ABC.XYZ that makes sense is short and memorable.. then go for it!

•••
I have always found so sterile these conversations between domainers about the value of .COM versus new GTLDs, like if one could stop evolution to save his investments.

Whether you like it or no. Times are changing, slowly but surely and resistance is futile.

Yesterday another milestone has been acheived, the impossible has happened:
Google announced his new Alphabet company on a new gtld and one of the most controversial within the domaining community: .XYZ

But .COM owners don't be low, look at this announcement from another perspective, Google has put today domain names in the center of conversations and we should all benefit.

Francois Carrillo

•••
Ah i see the lost battle against reality is still being waged by the 2 inhouse residents and a couple of new faces joining them in this most heroic battle to stay with Kodak and never to surrender to Digital ;)

Here is a bit how it started in 2014 when suddenly people started to get interested in new gtlds and how these same few people reacted (i can't help but sometimes think these are paid shills):

1. Ah they're worthless, no one is going to buy them
< a few weeks later>
2. Well, except a few domainers buy them but those are newbies who don't know anything
<a couple of months later>
3. A few 100k's of registrations is nothing, they won't get to the 1000000 just watch ...
4. It doesn't mean anything that some end-users are now buying them, need to see big companies
<a few more months later>
5. The aftermarket is so small, all those people and businesses are wasting money
6. Those big sales are just freaks of nature, the only truth is .com and nothing else !
7. Those few big domainers joining doesn't mean anything, they are also wrong !
< a couple of months later>
8. Those 5-6 figure sales at Namescon are all fake, it's a conspiracy against .com !
9. <crickets mostly>
9. Well, those millions of new gtld registered domains are just a drop, .com has alot more, forever !
10. It means nothing that big companies are creating their own .brand, they will always use .com
<a little more in time>
11. Apple, Oprah, Google, Microsoft, Alibaba, etc are wrong they just made a mistake of regging new gtlds
<a little more in time>
12. What ?! Google bought .xyz ?! Must be false, but if true then it's just the holding page, means nothing
<a little more in time>
13. New gtld's are being used for spam ! <cough>
<a little more in time>
14. Lets "Like" each others anti new gtld posts, this way we will stop reality and the future from happening !
<a little more in time>
15. Only a small part of the world will use new gtlds, the rest will stay with Kodak forever !
<a little more in time>
16. Our 3-4-5 word .com are better than 1-2 word new gtlds !

Now we see also posts like this from people who blindly follow(ed) those who are anti new gtlds and are now waking up:

1. With present knowledge i should have invested in new gtlds ...
2. I want to invest in new gtlds but i can't find cheap super good combo's anymore ?!
3. They brainwashed me in 2014 so i kept regging 3-4-5 word .com domains !
4. I thought the past is always a garantee to the future ?!
5. But this man told me in 2014 to stay away from new gtlds ?!
6. But they told me to look only at numbers so went with the tld which has most numbers !
7. They said they are worthless and no one will buy them !?
8 . I can't contact that man anymore who said to only invest in legacy tld's, where is he ?!
9. Strange, that man is now also buying new gtlds while in 2014 he said to stay away from them ?!
10. Wut, i thought legendary domainers stick with Kodak but they are on a buying spree ?!
11. You lied to me !
12. You just ruined a once in a lifetime chance to be part of a new internet domain revolution !
13. But they said the future is dark and the only shining light will always be .com ?!
14. You said my bigscaryhalloweencostumes.com was going to sell for 4 figures ?!

Now on a more serious note, investing comes with risks, the past is never a garantee for the future. Also some people think that suddenly .com is going to disappear within a year because of more choice in tlds, this is not true. It simply means people / businesses have more choice and the playing field is bigger for everyone. Sure it'll have impact on legacy tld's but a huge amount of people aren't yet even online.

Last words, respect each others choices and make the best of it ! Also no need to spend hours a day posting / repeating how bad new gtlds are in the new gtld forum section, it doesn't make sense. Spend the energy on something else :)

Last edited:
•••
Any of these decent? I picked them up June last year...
  • 3dPrint.xyz
  • Advertising.xyz
  • Bios.xyz
  • BritishColumbia.xyz
  • Cancun.xyz
  • Catch.xyz
  • CrowdFunding.xyz
  • Domaining.xyz
  • FineArt.xyz
  • Indiana.xyz
  • Investment.xyz
  • Kentucky.xyz
  • Louisiana.xyz
  • Maine.xyz
  • Manitoba.xyz
  • Marketplace.xyz
  • Messaging.xyz
  • Michigan.xyz
  • Minnesota.xyz
  • Missouri.xyz
  • ModernArt.xyz
  • Murals.xyz
  • Oklahoma.xyz
  • Oregon.xyz
  • Ottawa.xyz
  • Paintings.xyz
  • Playlist.xyz
  • Rated.xyz
  • Rating.xyz
  • Ratings.xyz
  • Recruit.xyz
  • Reports.xyz
  • Scenery.xyz
  • StreetArt.xyz
  • StreetArtists.xyz
  • Vermont.xyz
  • Wisconsin.xyz

•••
•••
You're funny buddy ... I spent four figures on some of my XYZ names because I do see the future !
Four figures on 'some' of your .xyz names. So how much have you wasted in total ?
I can understand that you are slightly infatuated with the TLD and your names in particular. Of course, when you have 'invested' a lot of money in something, the prospect of failure is a very unpleasant thought, but are you sure you are being objective ? There are so many other TLDs...

You don't really follow this thread but to bash it but if you go back a couple posts I announced it and you can see what I own !
I'm not seeing him bashing the TLD, just putting some perspective. He's being very reasonable imho. He's right, in terms of resale value, .xyz is below .biz.

Enjoy the Past and will Enjoy the Future !
Speaking of past and future, it's interesting that the most vocal supporters of new extensions are always newcomers. But at renewal time they have already vanished from the forum :P
This is a fact confirmed by countless threads produced over the last 10 years.

IMO it's not about the past or the future. It is about the present. I can only speak for myself, but I want to make sales, and not be a domain collector. So I focus on the names that people are buying at the present. It doesn't mean not being alert to new trends.
Living in tune with present reality is not being stuck in the past.

There is not a better GTLD and the statistics prove this !
Which ones ? Remember that we are dealing with a registry that makes a lot of fluff and likes to inflate numbers too.

•••
Nope, stay away from these strange extensions, they all fade away after the land-rush and the registrars have made a killing out it
LOL

Stay away guys stay away :p

Stick with dot-com :p

Would love to dive into all the threads with this regurgitated "advice" from some of us we expected to trust and "know" better. I wonder how many poor souls have been left holding the bag year after year and have quit domaining because of it? Shame.

I salute the brave souls whom took the path less traveled to make the internet a better place to visit with domain diversity, whether it .xyz or .icu and do u see .me

•••
Time to sell Google stock and buy .xyz! jk :D

•••
.XYZ is interesting because it has "logic" in the West (as the end of the alphabet) but key is that these are all good Chinese letters, so I don't know if Negari was thinking of that at the time, but it bridges East and West.

•••
Wow I'm waiting for the movie! :xf.grin:

In the 80s and 90s, how many people thought it was ridiculous buy a ..com ?.....is not about to remove an extension it's about what always happens in any market, any company and / or product not have a monopoly forever, and the dot .com today is in the limit of its capacity to offer good options.

There is no product that survive without demand, the problem is that demand is higher than the .com can offer, and if you can offer, then the value is simply too high, so it is normal of .com owners not want to share a piece of cake and even less if it is possible competitors ( any new extension today is a .com competitors )

Today .xyz is guilty of going for the head of dragon, something that was going to happen sooner or later, then it is time to invest in .xyz ? - Yes!...it is time to develop ? - always has been. it's time to sell..- NO.

•••
.xyz has 1,119,751 domain registered
But only 880,000 in the zone file. The rest are pending delete names. Soon you'll be able to pick lots of drops.

•••
.xyz is the Number one GTLD so hang your hats on that fact

In reg numbers, but how does reg numbers equate to money in the bank? Domaining is buying and selling, and from reported sales, .club is the only one I see being consistent. Do this homework for today. Head over to Namebio, DNPrices, plug in .club and .xyz and tell me number of sales over $1,000.

I'll do one for you, Namebio, sales over $1,000

.club - 91
.xyz - 7

and that's with .xyz having 4 times the number of regs. You guys with all these .xyzs gotta get those sales poppin. Let's go.

•••
Ah i see the lost battle against reality is still being waged by the 2 inhouse residents and a couple of new faces joining them in this most heroic battle to stay with Kodak and never to surrender to Digital ;)
Your post is funny, but Kodak is a poor comparison. New extensions work exactly the 'old' ones, there is no technological improvement at all. But with the instability that has been brought to the DNS, you can now be certain that some TLDs won't survive. Those who built a web presence on shifting sands might regret they traded the Kodak for a Digital Mirage.
All extensions are technically equal, but some are more equal than others when it comes to their track record.

8 . I can't contact that man anymore who said to only invest in legacy tld's, where is he ?!
It's funny, but if you look at the new TLD hype threads from the last ten years, the cheerleaders are all gone, along with those who blindly followed the poor advice handed out by people with little or no previous experience of domain sales. The dropout rate is high in domaining.

A reasonable person will tell you to diversify your investments and keep a balanced portfolio, that means you'd rather concentrate on proven extensions and limit your exposure to unproven things. It could mean 5-10% of your available funds for example. Gambling it all on new extensions will most likely not pan out well but what do I know.
Diversify doesn't mean one should buy anything just for the sake of diversification.

Reality check: look at what end users are using, what they are buying. Look at businesses around you, do they use .xyz ? They don't. Will they ? Ask them just to see their reaction :)

•••
I picked up .XYZs after googl's news.
I will sell these domains when.XYZ passes 10 million reg.
I think .XYZ reaches 5 million reg in 2017 because chinese inflates .XYZ. and that is registered 30,000 per day.
In 2020 .XYZ passes 10 million.

There is not always a correlation between number of registrations and value.
The second largest registry in the world is .TK. Have you ever seen one of them in use or that sold?

Sure, the registrations are free but it is not a big difference between that and countless under $1 .XYZ regs.

The number of regs alone does not provide secondary market value. First you need a primary market, which is a strong user base. Then you need a secondary market where people are willing to pay a premium. Both markets barely exist at the moment in .XYZ.

Brad

•••
6.xyz $125,000 - DNJournal
engage-xyz $6,000

•••
Just thought I would throw my two cents in. The new gTLDS have made it easier for individuals and businesses to get a domain name with exactly what they want LOTD. However, increasingly, folks are finding that what is ROTD is critically important in order for others to find them.

As for .xyz, I can tell you this. The team over at .xyz are doing everything they can to sell what they have. I even bought a few and got very lucky. I entered their contest for the best .xyz domain name...and won $1000. They paid immediately, and for that, I am grateful to .xyz. I even had the opportunity to meet the team, including Daniel, and spend a little time talking. They have big plans for the future, and it includes other gTLD's, outside of .xyz. Even their eggs are not in one basket.

However, as an investment, I have found that xyz is confusing and phonetically speaking, it is difficult to say.
I have also found, in my personal experience, that it is much easier to sell other extensions like .com, .net, .org, .co, .cc and others. Personally, I see no point in gTLD's for end-users. The jury is still out on the SEO factors.

In closing, let me share something that everyone here should know. What sells here in this forum is what people should be buying for the most part. Learn from the experience of others, read blogs like domaining.com and most of all....have a realistic plan when you buy a domain, .xyz or any. Quick flip, develop, hold. Whatever the case, don't look for reinforcement AFTER you bought a domain, look at trends and your plan BEFORE you buy a domain.

Just my two cents.

•••
People do not simply keep desperately adding another word on just so they can have a dot com. After 4 or even 5 words the value is so low that another extension will naturally rise up for 1 and 2 words, and take 4 or 5 word .com's place as being more valuable - and thus more widely used.
It's always the same fallacy.

First of all, almost all extensions are 'growing'. A few are losing numbers though. But generally speaking people are buying names in pretty much any TLD that is more or less open. So there is natural growth all across the board.

Therefore, some of the demand for domain names is of course 'spilling over' to the less popular extensions. Nothing new here. But that doesn't mean people will pay a lot. In fact, they will normally pay no more than regfee. They might buy a name in .whatever if it's available, but not if it's already taken by a domainer. Because it's not their first choice, they will move on to another domain/TLD.

If you look at reported sales, they always take place in the most popular extensions for a reason, the rest are exceptions.
That's why speculating in outlier extensions is hard.
That's what we are here for, to sell domains right.

Right now, there is a lot of marketing and hype about .xyz, so people are buying .xyz because they've been told it's 'cool'. But the momentum will only last that long. We have yet to see serious development in the extension. People will not take .xyz seriously if all they get is spam and scam. There is a real danger here, webmasters are still shunning .biz/.info due to the abuse that took place years ago and the lack of legitimate sites.

All that said, there is currently no evidence that XYZ will be "it". But I see no reason why it couldn't be, probably along with other changes such as popular newgTLDs like ".site" and ."online". The internet will change, and .com may remain king, but others will rise up :)
'Rise up' is very relative, when the 'legacy' TLDs are still outgrowing the new extensions.
The gap between new and 'established' extensions is widening over time, so the new extensions actually look less and less popular in comparison. It's another overlooked fact.

PS: I can tell you one thing, in Europe (where I live), the local extensions are often preferred to .com, or second to .com - that depends on the market. End users will usually want either or both, but there is virtually zero interest in new extensions in those mature markets.

Even the end users who already own domain names, are not familiar with the new extensions. They may vaguely know they exist, but they don't visit their registrar every day, and they don't buy domains every day either. Their awareness is patchy.
There has to be awareness before the demand follows.

IMO domainers should go out more, and mingle with business owners and ordinary persons who are not domainers
:lookaround:

•••
Hello,

This morning bulk searched .XYZ for just over 10.000 top keywords and I found 1 (one) that I actually wanted to register. I Personally think it is *more or less* a waste of time to try to hand register anything now. 99,99% of the good .XYZ are gone.

Buy them at auctions at Namejet or Flippa instead. You'll be able to find great ones for $30 - $300.

•••
I think it has to do with:

1. The fact that Google is the world leading internet company (obviously).

2. People always tend to follow trends in large groups. 3d domains, drone domains, VR domains and now a somewhat corny extension.

3. Daniel Negari is smart.

That still begs the question, "Why the hoopla over .XYZ".
Google is not trend setting on this. It is only one domain in one extension.
Google owns several (with more to come) domain extensions. Would it not be wiser to speculate in a Google "owned" extension rather then a singular domain in an extension owned by someone else.
If Google is the factor that we are speculating here... It would make more sense to me to be in with Google owned extensions. Would you not agree?

The trends are pretty much only followed by other domainers. It is a bit of an incestuous affair that domainers have with each other here. Yes, trends do happen but I would hazard to state that the domain trends that ensue are between domainers and not domainer to end user.

I am sure Daniel Negari is intelligent but does that give credence to the entire extension?

Just thoughts..

Cheers

Exactly, Google are always buying names in various extension and with different keywords, domainers cant jump up and down just because the big G grabbed another name, the same thing happened when they grabbed G.co (and Twitter got no_url_shorteners and Amazon got A.co)and everyone said .CO will be the next big thing and all big companies will follow Google blah blah, it doesnt happen and wont ever happen

Google own nearly 12,000 names in various extensions, but dont go crazy when they register a new name in an different extension

•••
Remember the XYZ collision list release in december? That was the last opportunity to invest in great XYZ domains.

It is time to invest way before people decide it is time to invest.

•••
I wouldn't invest in .xyz if it was free (which it was at one point and then like $1 to reg) hence how they got over 1 million registered names. Once Alphabet starts rolling out stand alone products and solutions, I'd be surprised if they stuck with .xyz. You'll be seeing Alphabet Car and Alphabet Drones etc searched not abc.xyz hell, they may buy Alphabet.com from BMW or create a .alphabet gtld or just use one of the many gtlds they own who knows. Google has been known to just drop an idea or two with poor performance. I think the restructuring was long planned after the Google Glass debacle and that the .xyz was a very very smart marketing ploy by Negari to get his extension and GTLDs as a whole in front of the masses. It's been done many a times before in this industry. But at ~$9 a piece get yourself a meaningful .com. If you must have a GTLD, I would leave .xyz alone. Go get a .news or something.

•••
XYZ is a horrid thing to type, IMO.

Just sayin'.

•••
Hello,

Current bid for "Cloud.xyz" is $6969 at Namejet!

12 hours left.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back