Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch
Moving on from the 3D, Cloud , NFC, Marijuana etc....trends, what do people think will be the next big money maker for the domainer?

I have a few Big Data domains but I like my hand in several dishes so if anyone would like to share their thoughts I'm sure a lot of domainers would appreciate any insights to what's gonna be hot or not.

Cheers

Stu

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My first 'modular' sale:

ModularCamera .com

$650

•••
To learn more about next trend follow Star Trek, just saying.

10997016_10153519468126840_1652486481213455860_o.jpg

•••
I always think the hardest part about future trends is the companies that develop and market them will use their own branding. iWearables.com sounds like a brand to me so I can see someone wanting that, now I will agree I am not sure I could turn down low five figures like Kevin did, but then again, a lot more plays into it than just an offer, when you don't know anything really about a domainer except their username and some domains they own, you have no idea what that xx,xxx represents. Rick Schwartz could afford to turn down offers on ireport.com to get to $750,000. Personally I could not have turned down an initial $25,000, not because I did not like the name, I actually came up with a concept for ireport before CNN ever had it on their network.

The risk reward based on my financial situation would not work turning down $25,000. Mike Berkens once said he got an offer of $100,000 on Fashion Models.com and turned it down over a decade ago, he has not had another offer. He can sleep peacefully at night with his net worth and portfolio and rejecting $100,000, many cannot do that.

Its equivalent to the married guy with 3 kids in an office dealing with a douchebag boss and a single guy with no responsibility but himself. The single guy can tell the boss to go F off, the married guy with kids has to put up with a lot more and make undesirable decisions based on other factors.

•••
Regarding Modular Phone technology, my first four figure purchase via Sedo has just landed in my account:

ModularPhones(dot)com

I've hopefully got myself a category killer :$:

Last edited:
•••
Having sold 8KSolutions on sedo nearly a year ago xxxx

sold another 8K@@.com $1,xxx buy it now

sedo says its paid via credit card - I guess I wait till monday.

FX

•••
regged .com 8ksolutions back in november due to this thread

a few posts back a member posted about 4K & 8K Displays " TV's "
which led me to regging this domain name.

Sold today .com 8ksolutions $1250 on sedo :)

Cheers Stu for starting the thread.

•••
•••
Here are the trends I'm banking@

I think FOG computing is going to be big and worth investing. It is the natural progression of cloud technology with such players as Cisco looking to lead the pack as it stands. Here is a quote:
"
"Fog provides unique advantages for services across several verticals such as IT, entertainment, advertising, personal computing etc. Cisco is specially interested in proposals that focus on Fog Computing scenarios related to Internet of Everything (IoE), Sensor Networks, Data Analytics and other data intensive services to demonstrate the advantages of such a new paradigm, to evaluate the trade-offs in both experimental and production deployments and to address potential research problems for those deployment"
Open network or open networking SDN / NFV is big yet still in a very early stage of development and deployment. With the entire networking world switching to SDN Software Defined Networking with the unlikely Facebook leading this movement in open protocles with all the other big players like Cisco, Vyatta, Broadcom on board. This is very big news. Google it!!! Also Google Open Network Operating System (ONOS).

MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) are already a big deal in the education realm. It is changing the entire college and university landscape!
Beacon Network Technology is absolutely a massive change in retail and the way advertisement will be delivered. This is the future now. This is the biggest change in retail since the acceptance of the credit card. This is a VERY strong buy in my opinion. And it's at a very early stage. Apple has launched iBeacon and IBM, Google, et al have patents and patent pending works.

•••
Here are the trends I'm banking@

MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) are already a big deal in the education realm. It is changing the entire college and university landscape!

I sold over 10k in MOOC domains last year, all hand regges, and have another one at GD auctions now for high xxx
Also turned down a few other offers.

•••
Not sure what is going on here but over the past 3 weeks i've had 4 offers via email on modularmobi . com from 3 different people, maybe all the new modular phones that are being talked about recently.....

All in the low to mid $x,xxx, i have countered with $xx,xxx so lets see what happens

•••
•••
All my Beacon names:

Beacon dot tv
BankBeacon dot com
BeaconStore dot com
BeaconMarket dot com
Beacona dot com
DigiBeacons dot com
BeaconFinder dot com
OnlineBeacons dot com
SoundBeacons dot com
PhoneBeacons dot com
BeaconBooking dot com
RapidBeacons dot com
YBeacons dot com
BeaconPhone dot com
BeaconOffice dot com
GameBeacons dot com
BeaconPhones dot com
RapidBeacon dot com
SportBeacon dot com
B2Bbeacon dot com

Regards,
Vitaliy

•••
•••
Maybe / maybe not - in either case this is pretty neat technology for island countries with clean water problems. Personal size ONLY at this time, but it has potential for larger scale production.
Desol-at-beach-780x563.jpg

Water scarcity affects every corner of the globe, with around 1.2 billion people — almost 20 percent of Earth’s population — living with the constant worry of whether they’ll have enough drinking water to survive, according to the United Nations (U.N.).
Having lived in United Arab Emirates’ capital, Abu Dhabi, for more than five years, William Janssen was already accustomed to drinking desalinated water — seawater treated in large machines that consume lots of energy in the process. So Janssen came up with the idea of using solar energy instead to transform salt-water into drinking water, a more sustainable cost-effective method.
Backers on the Indiegogo campaign have so far donated 55 units to causes, 35 of which are being given to families in Southern India and Africa.
desol_unit_blue_writing-800x452.png
“The water crisis is real and happening now,” says Janssen. “This has been recognised by the World Economic Forum, which reports that water is the single greatest resource threat to the world.”
Full article: http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/23/d...ing-sunlight/?n_play=54c25f1ce4b07eb729876e22

You be the judge ;)

•••
Just received a low $XXX email offer for BionicExoskeletons.com after I handregged it 5 days ago. :ahhh:

Last edited:
•••
Does anyone remember this holographic game from back in the 1990's?

fqndgtz.jpg

•••
The 'future trend domainer' in me couldn't help but reg a load of 'glove' names after reading this:

http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=26827

Went back to page 763 on Godaddy Discount Codes where there's a massive list of $1-$3 code links that I missed the first time round and registered this bunch:

PaymentGlove(s)
GlovePay
GlovePayments
PayGlove(s)
ElectronicGloves
ContactlessPaymentGloves

Last edited:
•••
•••
Just picked up HudTechnology.com :D

•••
•••
I really like IoT - I had an offer of low $x,xxx on IoTConnector/com but we could not come to an agreement.

•••
I've already sold my drone names and a few others in the trends mentioned. I think there are three ways of looking at trends: 1. the trends you know are going to happen, like all-in-one TV/music/ computers and 2. the fringe items that are going to happen but not sure when or how, like nano technology in disease control, medical break-throughs, like stem cell therapy and 3. the stuff that catches people by surprise. like a sudden social trend or fad or type of music.

For example, in political economics, I figure it won't be long until public education changes to private funding. After all, daycare charges, and prep-school charges, college charges, so why not high school and elementary school. Then there will be all of the hoopla that goes with money and status (or lack thereof). not sure of the money-making potential, but I bought a few domains with ideas in mind.

The way I see it, if you can see ahead a little better than others, it's not difficult to pick up 5-10 domains that will include one that sells for $500 to $1000 (or 3-4 @ $200-$300 apiece). I'll gladly spend $50-$100 to make $500 to $1000 in a few months. Has worked so far.

Last edited:
•••
Now, I don't normally show my hand, but to be fair, here is my example of a 'predictive domain'.

And, I'll use my first post to one of the "fad-trend" threads you experienced domainers love to dump on for a good laugh -in this case the 'Show me your Cloud ... threadhttp://www.namepros.com/4135959-post80.html

In 2006 I hand reg'd TVCLOUD.com. I sold it, direct-to-buyer, a few months back for $45,000.
6yr old hand reg sells for $45k?
You cant see me right now, but believe me I am drooling B-)

:tu:

•••
Look this is the reason we spent the time creating a separate thread, debating is not going to break out in this thread. By all means you think the names are crap, Dislike the post and talk about it on the other thread. Those who want a truly unbiased discussion of the topics should be reading both. I think they will both stay near the top of the forum.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back