NameSilo

information I will never help another domainer

SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

uglydork

Top Member
Impact
1,694
So I have a guy hit me up with an unsolicited direct message asking me to buy a 3 letter domain -he did the same thing months ago with another name and I nicely said no.
He wanted 6 figures months ago and now 50k. It is a nice 3 letter but I am trying to sell Birdsnest.com and pacemakers.com right now so I’m tied up.
The guy keeps messaging me so I decide to help him out and I reach out to my big boy contacts - I try not to bother these guys unless it’s something good and out of my range.
This is on Monday - a holiday where I live. My big guy gives me a number and the seller doesn’t like it. Ok - don’t take it - goodbye. Nope - comes back with another number. I tell him my big guy won’t negotiate- he insists.
At this point I am a broker on this deal! My big guy literally tells me “ tell him to fuck off” and my big guy is in the middle of closing on a house. The buyer knows all this information and keeps pushing. He finally tells me he will take the big guys offer after hours of telling me he has had better offers. I’m shielding my big guy from all this nonsense to help the seller get a deal done - he seems desperate.
I literally tell him that the big guy is buying a house as we speak - he has to agree and then I will give you his email for escrow. I’m not giving out the big guys name or email to anyone or he will disown me.
He keeps pressing me for his address.
It’s a holiday - I’m off work - my wife is complaining because I’m ignoring her and the kids - it was the last 80 degree day in Buffalo for 7 months. The buyer is busy buying a house with his wife out of the country with a time difference.
I finally get the ok from the big boy to give him an address to start escrow. I DM the buyer the address and.......POOF! Not even a thank you. It’s been 2 days and I know Escrow closed - the last message is me giving him an email address and then silence.
I literally spent hours as a go between helping this seller - I had to keep a buffer or the big boy would have told him to kiss his ass and backed out.
I spent my day off helping someone and not even a thanks - if you read this - it’s normally 10% - you’re welcome- that was a big sale - enjoy you sale and money.
Don’t help people-
 
44
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
That being said though .. there is way too much hate being bounced around the domaining world.
The girls they are cool but ive noticed you never see them around here.
Why are you guys hiding?
 
0
•••
@Ategy.com just eloquently expressed (thank you, BTW, sincerely!) what was going around in my head. I really think this community, wonderful in so many ways, would be better if we could, while remaining open and honest, turn down the negative and occasionally even hateful rhetoric.

Also, it often is more effective to first try to resolve issues, whether with a company or an individual, quietly and directly. Two people I respect a lot in the domain world, DomainShane and Elliot Silver, both some months ago commented on this (not specific to domains) in their blogs.

Earlier in thread @MapleDots expressed sorrow that some informative threads get little notice while those full of heat get all the attention. I agree, and this saddens me.

I know I still have a lot to learn in domaining. Thank you all of you on NPs who have so generously helped me learn. I for one promise to do a more consistent job thanking people going forward.

Could we all commit to do our part to make discussions on NPs more positive, respectful and kind? Please.

Bob
 
6
•••
It’s the nature of business , especially on a LLL.com, however, negotiating for hours is uncalled for IMO, the buyer knows the max they will pay, the seller knows the least they will accept, I will negotiate 4 total back and forth offer and counter offer, then I am done , rather I am the buyer or the seller, makes no difference, after 4 , I am done and moving on. Ask any car dealership that has tried their BS with me lol, I walk on their ass with the quickness.

At the same time, when brokering anything, both the client and buyer expect results, I have been there, done that, it is very tough, time consuming and can get ugly, back when I was brokering, I found a tactic that worked most of the time, “A cooling period” in the negotiations process. Let both parties think and be able to rationalize, then come back to the table.

The one big lesson I have learned in ALL aspects of domaining, accept the fact that there will be days that I will work hours, only to come up with nothing, zero, zilch. That’s domaining, at least in my case.

I can’t comment on the , who knew who , who didn’t know who , and all the intangibles in this thread, I don’t know either party involved.
 
Last edited:
5
•••
I spend 2-3 hours a day doing my lists .. about 100 people a day view them here at NamePros .. yet only 2-3 people even bother to click "Thanks" (it's pretty much always the same people)! It's pretty sad when I actually think about it .. So I try not to think about it! lol

From time to time I get a private message from someone thanking me for my lists, or for information/comments/ideas in the blog portion above my lists, or for something I posted elsewhere at NamePros .. and I can say without a doubt that those personal messages, and even seeing people click thanks regularly, do give me the warm and fuzzies! :)

In the end though, I think most people don't thank others mostly just because they don't think the other person cares, or that their one click on the "Thanks" button makes a difference ... and not because they are not appreciative of what that other person did.
(I'm talking in general .. this specific situation in this thread is a little too all over the place to say anything for sure .. and that's even after I read every post .. lol)

That being said though .. there is way too much hate being bounced around the domaining world. Maybe sometimes it's justified .. while other times it most certainly isn't. I've only been here a couple of years now, but I've been personally attacked on the forum a couple of times simply for sharing and exploring ideas .. ironically those ideas were on how to improve things for all domainers. It's one thing to attack someone who has deliberately done something to tangibly harm you in some way .. but verbally abusing people for sharing their opinions openly in a discussion here at NP is definitely crossing the line.

It's also important to not base too much on what you actually see here in the forums, as often the context of things are completely changed due to edited posts, and more importantly, by posts that were later deleted by forum moderators/admin.

Anyhow .. "Thanks" for reading my post! lol .. I hope those involved manage to straighten things back out .. seems like it was just a little communications hiccup partially from both sides .. would be a shame if you guys let this escalate to the point where you could no longer work with each other in the future .. that would be a loss for both of you.

They're nice lists but to be clear, they're affiliate links, didn't see that mentioned. I would see any sales as a way of thanks, knowing people are going thru them and buying domains. Thanks are nice as well.

Ah, just reading the other thread where you mentioned it:
The first year of my daily auction and closeout lists was out of the goodness of my heart .. lol .. however for the record and for transparency .. a few months ago I added affiliate links.
 
Last edited:
2
•••
They're nice lists but to be clear, they're affiliate links, didn't see that mentioned. I would see any sales as a way of thanks, knowing people are going thru them and buying domains. Thanks are nice as well.
Ah, just reading the other thread where you mentioned it:

Yeah .. to be clear .. if you follow my blog you'll know I'm often running late for work because of the lists! lol ... What I haven't mentioned is ... that if I were to add up my taxi expenses and compared it to my affiliate commissions, most months it would be close to break even. Most people simply don't click the links .. just as they don't click thanks. The only reasons I continue to share the links is because I'm hoping to slowly grow .. and also because I'm planning on doing some wholesaling to trim my ever growing portfolio, and doing the lists will obviously help bring more attention to anything I put up for sale myself. but even with those factors in mind, I've contemplated stopping the lists a few times .. or possibly taking it private exclusive to people who actually use the links. I'm too busy with everything else to think about changing my routine .. so it'll likely be the status quo for the next little while .. lol

So long story short .. yes .. the "thanks" are appreciated and more importantly they are encouraging, as it also lets me know people actually find the lists useful/helpful/informative. :)
 
5
•••
Let's get the facts straight. You sent the email at 9pm on Monday. You created this thread at 6pm yesterday (my time). That is a 21 hour difference. Now minus from that 21 hours 8 hours of sleep and 12 hours of work and commuting.

That leaves me one hour before you created that thread. Not to mention I am trying to sort out the fact that he cancelled.

Let's get the facts straight. You sent the email at 9pm on Monday. You created this thread at 6pm yesterday (my time). That is a 21 hour difference. Now minus from that 21 hours 8 hours of sleep and 12 hours of work and commuting.

That leaves me one hour before you created that thread. Not to mention I am trying to sort out the fact that he cancelled.

Fact - I gave you escrow email 4 pm Monday
Fact - I posted this 1:40 Wednesday

That’s almost 2 days
Forget your minus commutes and sleep - you had no problem staying awake to start escrow right away
Do you want me to post screen shots of your crap
 
0
•••
This guy is absolutely true to his nickname...

I'd hate him to help me, even if he was the last person on the earth that could...

still chirping about the delay in thanks for a deal that did not go through, while trying to damage the reputation of the guy he "helped" and exposing the buyer, his "big guy", without his consent, by providing too much details.
 
5
•••
This guy is absolutely true to his nickname...

I'd hate him to help me, even if he was the last person on the earth that could...

still chirping about the delay in thanks for a deal that did not go through, while trying to damage the reputation of the guy he "helped" and exposing the buyer, his "big guy", without his consent, by providing too much details.
I didn’t care when you bashed me last year and I don’t care this year.
You literally mean nothing to my sales and never will.
 
0
•••
I didn’t care when you bashed me last year and I don’t care this year.
You literally mean nothing to my sales and never will.

For a self declared instigator that thrives on controversy, you have incredibly thin skin...
 
1
•••
It's hard to see people I like and respect not getting along. I truly value my relationships with each of you. None of this will change my hope to work with each of you in time.
 
2
•••
For a self declared instigator that thrives on controversy, you have incredibly thin skin...
I have thin skin because I don’t care about you?
Show me what value you have ever brought to a conversation in which I was involved? You follow me around and make snide comments- you are obsessed with me like a little teenage girl with a middle school crush
I’m not sure what your fascination is with me - do you need a hug?
 
0
•••
It's hard to see people I like and respect not getting along. I truly value my relationships with each of you. None of this will change my hope to work with each of you in time.
I am truly loyal to a fault to people that don’t follow me around bashing me
You are a stand up awesome guy
 
1
•••
This guy is absolutely true to his nickname...

I'd hate him to help me, even if he was the last person on the earth that could...

still chirping about the delay in thanks for a deal that did not go through, while trying to damage the reputation of the guy he "helped" and exposing the buyer, his "big guy", without his consent, by providing too much details.

I don't plan to comment on this further, but what I don't "get" is why UglyDork keeps saying that he doesn't care and didn't expect anything, and yet makes such a big stink over it. The big stink started with his creating this thread in the first place, and continues with his harping on it over and over.

To that extent I must agree with Recons.

GXlnwmNh.png
 
Last edited:
4
•••
I don't plan to comment on this further, but what I don't "get" is why UglyDork keeps saying that he doesn't care and didn't expect anything, and yet makes such a big stink over it. The big stink started with his creating this thread in the first place, and continues with his harping on it over and over.

To that extent I must agree with Recons.

GXlnwmNh.png
The only stink I am making is over someone following me around harassing me over his own agenda- this goes back a year so I know you don’t have the history
 
0
•••
The only stink I am making is over someone following me around harassing me
You flatter yourself thinking anyone follows you around.
And..'of course' don't think you bring any of this on upon yourself?!?
 
3
•••
You flatter yourself thinking anyone follows you around.
And..'of course' don't think you bring any of this on upon yourself?!?
Trust me - people follow me around. Why is that so hard to believe?
Look at the the numbers and you know my name. My DM is full of people who love it when I post, I have people asking to buy/sell names.
You don’t have to agree with me and frankly I don’t care if you do
You sell the sizzle not the steak
 
0
•••
My DM is full of people who love it when I post, I have people asking to buy/sell names.
There you go. You love to boast/brag of your domaining expertness(:xf.rolleyes:), yet when you get blow back, you're taken aback and all out defensive.
I bet you and bulloney are buddies here.
 
4
•••
Looks like the cat is out of the bag and the two parties exchanging responses here have probably been under a bit of stress.

Main question I have is why would such a prominent buyer back out of a three letter .com purchase for 50k?

Has anyone asked Rick Schwartz if he wants it? He says they are all worth a million right?

So I look at all of this as an opportunity for the seller to make more money and if uglydork is owed a commission make him earn it by brokering a sale through to the end.

All in all it could be a win win for everyone involved and the whole domain industry could save a bit of face.

I must say I am surprised the sale did not go through, especially with such a high profile purchaser.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
There you go. You love to boast/brag of your domaining expertness(:xf.rolleyes:), yet when you get blow back, you're taken aback and all out defensive.
I bet you and bulloney are buddies here.
I never bragged about my expertness? I’m just saying people like the drama
I don’t take shit from anyone. I am certainly not the biggest domain guy but I am not bottom rung either.
I’m not taken aback by anything- you still don’t get it. This is ratings - media - name recognition. I don’t care what you think and I really mean that.
The only people I care about know who they are. You = just another ego trying to prove you smarter/better than me.
 
0
•••
I must say I am surprised the sale did not go through, especially with such a high profile purchaser.
Drew cuts to the chase, especially with domainers trying to sell to him, and I'd bet there was more than has been alluded to when the seller dealt directly with him.
 
2
•••
CatchedCatched

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: updated way to act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back