IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The company is making billions of dollars. They own the hyphen .com, I have the non-hyphen .com.
Assuming it's a generic domain without TM issues, sure, send him a one-time email letting him know that it's for sale. I would try to find several company contacts to email, such as a general info@ email and/or the Marketing Director/department, if possible. I only email a company once about any given domain so I generally try to come up with 2-3 good contacts in order to make the most of that email.

Last edited:
•••
The company is making billions of dollars. They own the hyphen .com, I have the non-hyphen .com.

Sounds like its a German company, Germans love hyphenated domains :)

•••
Sounds like its a German company, Germans love hyphenated domains :)

No,not a German company. Good ole U.S.A. corp. They have the hyphen .com, I have the non-hyphen .com. Generic DN and no trademark.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

I own the singular .com, and another big corporation own the plural .com.Non-hyphen .com. Should I inform these companies that their competitor own the plural .com? Only if they email me back?

For example

My DN is creditscore.com

Corp 1 own DN creditscores.com

Corp 2 own DN credit-score.com

Last edited:
•••
No,not a German company. Good ole U.S.A. corp. They have the hyphen .com, I have the non-hyphen .com. Generic DN and no trademark.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

I own the singular .com, and another big corporation own the plural .com.Non-hyphen .com. Should I inform these companies that their competitor own the plural .com? Only if they email me back?

For example

My DN is creditscore.com

Corp 1 own DN creditscores.com

Corp 2 own DN credit-score.com

I dont think I would actually try to pit one company against the other but I would say something like "I am contacting businesses like yours"
Good luck :)

•••
What percentage of your domains do you sell to end users by self promotion? Is it a majority?
Im Curious..

And what percentage of sales come from users contacting you out of the blue?

•••
So, once an end user has made their supposed "maximum offer", how much success are you guys/gals having in raising that price? Do you lose good sales by pushing for too much?

I was contacted via email Wednesday of last week by an end user who wrote that if I would sell the domain for a reasonable price they were ready to buy. I responded back that I would sell the domain for a reasonable price and asked what a reasonable price was to him.

In his second email to me he responded with a question "Are you able to differentiate whether or not the searched keyword is more associated with keyword "A" or Keyword "B" and said they were ready to pay $1,500 for the domain.

I responded in my second reply to him by first doing my best to answer his question thoroughly telling him what the majority of folks are looking for who type in the domain, the broad search, exact search, how I could use the 1 word category killer for SEO pages or sites by creating more exact search targeted sub-domains, a link to dnjournal ytd sales page, why this domain has a worth value of $40,000-$80,000 and that my price was only $14,000 negotiable.

He responds in his 3rd email yesterday "Saturday" with a thank you for the thorough response, that he is authorized to negotiate with me on the purchase price but the price remains a bit high and outside his authorization level but we could make it a quick sale at $7,000

I haven't responded and plan to tomorrow "Monday". I want closer to my asking price but don't want to scare him off either. Fine line.

My domain is exactly the domain he needs and specific to what he is promoting.

Any thoughts?

•••
(..)why this domain has a worth value of $40,000-$80,000 and that my price was only $14,000 negotiable.

He responds in his 3rd email yesterday "Saturday" with a thank you for the thorough response, that he is authorized to negotiate with me on the purchase price but the price remains a bit high and outside his authorization level but we could make it a quick sale at $7,000

you say that the domain is worth above 40k but then you lower your guard and ask for 14k. he replied with half that value. you should settle at 10K if you want to sell the domain because that it's what the buyer is looking for now. 10k seems a done deal at the moment.

if you are really confident that the domain in the right hands can *reasonably* fetch 40k and still want to try to sell it now but not at any price, you can push the 14k. if he is really interested in the domain he will go to that value or contact you again in a week or so giving you another round of smooth talking.

the important thing is to have a reasonable idea of the value of a domain. more often than not, sellers price their domains well above what is their "true" value and even at "true" value it will take a rare buyer to pay more than 15k for any domain.

i had several times domains that would be reasonably valued at 30k or more (even when making a simplistic google volume search based valuation, with the bogus google adwords keyword tool) and had to sell it at half bellow because people still don't value domains like we do and even if one day that buyer comes you will have spent much time with money locked in that investment.

good luck.

•••
.. why this domain has a worth value of $40,000-$80,000 and that my price was only $14,000 negotiable.

...quick sale at $7,000

Any thoughts?

How did you come up with the value of 40k to 80k in the first place?

If the above is your valuation of the domain so why are you thinking of selling it for 7k or a bit more?!

If you study their offers a bit more deeply since they jumped from their initial offer of 1.5k then they were prepared to pay you 7k for it, therefore my guess is there's a lot more higher that they would go to get their hands on that domain.

I know you're an experienced domainer yourself but if I were you, I'd choose a guy whose knowledge you trust and get his opinion on it, then you would be a lot more confident as whether you're underselling it or not.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the response tonecas and ibidu. Ibidu, I don't have much experience at all selling domains. I'll be glad to pm you the domain name but will probably have to be towards the end of the week so I can either sell it or not. As far as how I came to the price of 40-80k, I really don't want to give out too much info right now that would lead the wrong folks to what domain it is because they might try to track down the buyer and do something that would interfere with the results of how this turns out. A few things I will say that I based it on are just the quality of the domain name, search volume, the product and the popularity of the product and then there's the size and revenue of the companies that run their business around this keyword and sub-domains that can be created with it. It's not based on the current earned revenue on the domain.

I really may have underpriced it but it would be impossible to raise the price now above my initial asking price but I think I can still go back close to my initial asking price. They have the bucks but I don't know how much of them their willing to spend on a domain name.

•••
@DnPresident

Okay, I will be glad to help. When I value a domain, I use lots of technical ways based on factual data - I do it manually myself and do not rely on robots or programs that other people have written - Morgan does value domains as well but his software quite honestly is a shamble and it took his team one year to develop that software!

Rest assured if you even send it to me earlier, it will be in safe hands, but do as you think best.

•••
Hello all!

I have read from page 81 to 91, and I thank you all from the deep heart for the tips and informations. I will surely read this whole thread from time-to-time.

I have a question though. I own a domain name in .com, the company with exact name is settled in .co.uk. I have e-mailed them through the contact details provided on their site about selling the companyname.com for just $150. That was 1 week ago, and I haven't received a reply.

What should I Do? Should I e-mail them again (if so, when)? Should I inform the registration email provided in whois? What are the chances of a company settled in a lower DN will get the .com domain name.

BTW, the domain name was dropped and I picked it up.

Thanks in advance,
gct

•••
@gcttirth

In most cases like this one, the company is a UK specific company and your .com version of the same domain won't be any use to them. However, if they're a very large company, in order to protect their brand they may be tempted to get hold of the .com tld as well, but I won't bank on it too strongly.

I've had similar situations with a .au company where I had the .com and I took the decision of letting my domain expire and it was a good decision too, since they never bothered to register my .com domain even after it was available again!

•••
Indeed, the company provides some garbage package (TBH, those things don't exist in my area and I have never heard of it :)). So yes, the company is limited to UK clients only.

Though I can't understand why would a company not use the .com version if they get it for small price.

Really appreciate your opinion. Any Idea about the question "should I email them again?"

Thanks again,
gct

@gcttirth

In most cases like this one, the company is a UK specific company and your .com version of the same domain won't be any use to them. However, if they're a very large company, in order to protect their brand they may be tempted to get hold of the .com tld as well, but I won't bank on it too strongly.

I've had similar situations with a .au company where I had the .com and I took the decision of letting my domain expire and it was a good decision too, since they never bothered to register my .com domain even after it was available again!

•••
Really appreciate your opinion. Any Idea about the question "should I email them again?"

Thanks again,
gct

Sorry, didn't realise at first you live in india.

Obviously you can email them again but your domain is no good to them as they're uk based and a to have a .com for them is a disadvantage businesswise.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, didn't realise at first you live in india.

Obviously you can email them again but your domain is no good to them as they're uk based and a to have a .com for them is a disadvantage businesswise.

I just sold a .com to a small uk web design company for low xxx and have had other uk design companies interested in buying my other design .com domains.

•••
I wouldnt say a .com is bad for u.k business.

.com is always king.

Naturally register the .co.uk of whatever .com extension you choose.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

•••
For a small local company which has no expansion plans beyond home boudaries a .co.uk is always preferred to a .com as I've found lots of .au co's would always prefer their own country's extention to a .com as well - I've approached loads of them and none of them showed any interest in the .com extention I was offering them. So speaking from first hand experience.

In addition to that, they rank a lot better in SERPs. I bet loads of people who are trying to push their domain names have never thought of this important point.

•••
Indeed, I completely understood the point.

@infmoney -- You mentioned that they are buying design .coms. In my opinion, designing is done online and surely a .com could boost their business. But the issue in my case is that the company operates locally ( garbage package ). in that case, ibidu's comment seems to stand accurate and precise.

So yes, .com isn't bad for .uk/other ccTLD domains, but they have to be global and not local. For local business, ccTLD would surely be the choice.

Lesson learned, thanks!

•••
Indeed, I completely understood the point.

@infmoney -- You mentioned that they are buying design .coms. In my opinion, designing is done online and surely a .com could boost their business. But the issue in my case is that the company operates locally ( garbage package ). in that case, ibidu's comment seems to stand accurate and precise.

So yes, .com isn't bad for .uk/other ccTLD domains, but they have to be global and not local. For local business, ccTLD would surely be the choice.

Lesson learned, thanks!

It was a geo domain ex. webdesignlondon.com that does design locally. I've had others from the Dudley area(Uk)interested in my domain WebDesignDudley dot com.

•••
It was a geo domain ex. webdesignlondon.com that does design locally. I've had others from the Dudley area(Uk)interested in my domain WebDesignDudley dot com.

Firstly, to say a UK company would be interested in a .com company, of course they should be, but that depends on the nature of their business.

As "gcttirth" pointed out it all depends on the nature of their business. Can a local refuse collection company be compared with an online design company? Of course not - and for the logic of why a London design company should be after a .com as opposed to a .co.uk or would like to have both, it's pretty obvious why.... because they could get clients from all over the world to ask them to design sites related or about London or any other places in UK. It's as simple as that.

And to say that .com is always king is only said by newbies who have no business background.

Tell that to Archive.org and they will laugh at you. Tell that to an Education authority and they will tell you thanks but no thanks. So learning anything parrot fashionly could be a little risky in any business.

•••
Yes agreed it does depend on the business. A small business is bound to go for .co.uk

There are several large uk companies however who have invested in .coms

Such as

moneysupermarket.com
Confused.com
Comparethemarket.com

And the services offered by these conpanes are predominantly aimed at the u.k market only.

•••
just question ?
if i have domain.com and domain.net is developed no other extension is taken. is it worth to catch .com and try to sell it to owner of domain.net

•••
Depends who owns the .net.
If its a poor developer or domainer then they will not buy the .com due to lack of funds.

If a multi million dollar company owns the .net then go for it but beware of domains using their trademarks as they could sue you instead.

•••
What about emailing one of the affiliate program that I use for CJ? Should I email the program manager?

•••
this is what I do. Im doing some research on google for bloggers who are still using blogspot or wordpress extension. So I register the domain same as theirs with GoDaddy. And hope one day they will contact me. do you think this way looks better? sorry for my english :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back