IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congrats on the sale :)

But I have to say the case with the .com is really disturbing.
http://www.thedomains.com/2012/06/2...urt-case-asking-1m-for-a-domain-is-bad-faith/

Glad you got out when you did but I wonder if you selling them a "Vanity" domain if it would help the .com owners case.

Whats to stop them from taking any of our domains for sale away now?
I dont see where there was any bad faith but what do I know :-/

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on the sale :)

Whats to stop them from taken any of our domains for sale away now?

I don't agree with the UDRP decision either. I believe they're saying the bad faith was on the counter offer of $1 million which I don't see as bad faith.

•••
I don't agree with the UDRP decision either. I believe they're saying the bad faith was on the counter offer of $1 million which I don't see as bad faith.

That is strange, so according to the UDRP we cant make a high counter offer?

•••

This is the problem:
Respondent is not making a bona fide offering of goods or services or a legitimate noncommercial or fair use of the disputed domain name; Respondent is using the disputed domain name to direct consumers to its own website offering information, blogs, chat groups, and social media links on beauty, fashion, health, and self topics"

Look at this:
"Complainant states that it initially offered to purchase the <vanity.com> domain name for $4,500-$10,000 dollars, based upon an appraisal of the domain name’s worth provided by GoDaddy. "
What a joke :yell:

Is the value of vanity.com closer to 1M or 10K - you decide. You know better than Godaddy.

•••
This is the problem:

Look at this:

Is the value of vanity.com closer to 1M or 10K - you decide. You know better than Godaddy.

Ridiculous judgement. The company needing a Godaddy appraisal, even funnier.

•••
This is the problem:

Look at this:

That is a F*****G JOKE!

It is closer to $1m!

So is this the name of the game now?
Get GD to give you one of those low ball appraisals and then file a complaint and get the domain for free?

This needs to go to a higher court!
:rolleyes:>:(:yell::sick:D-::'(

•••
Back to topic,

Is anyone emailing end users in the US this week?
If so are you having any luck?

With the 4th of July being on a Wednesday it kinda screws up the whole week.

Some take the 4th off
Some take Monday thru Wednesday off
Some take Wednesday thru Friday off
And some take the whole week off.

I was wondering if I should save the rest of my emails until next Monday :-/

•••
Back to topic,

Some take the 4th off

I think it would be a good idea to take the rest of the week off. With the holiday falling in the middle of the week, people who return to work might be lacking in the motivation department. The decision makers themselves might be gone until next week.

•••
I'm in negotiation with a end user right now, He of course came to me and offered $500, I countered with $5800, he re-countered with $1500, I countered that with $4500 firm and he pay 100% of the escrow fee, Currently were playing the waiting game where he THINKS I'm going to write him back with a lower offer, That's NOT happening.

•••
Back to topic,

Some take the 4th off

I've been emailing loads of endusers this week with very few responses. Doesn't look like I'm going to make a sale this week but I will keep trying.

•••
Currently were playing the waiting game where he THINKS I'm going to write him back with a lower offer, That's NOT happening.

Items in bold have been changed to protect the innocent.:laugh:

Do Not take my advice and ruin your negotiations but after I waited for a reply for a few days with no response, i wrote the interested party again and they bought it.

" Hi "persons first name",

You had contacted me regarding the purchase of my online business domain name "Domain name" last week.

My offer to you is time sensitive so I'll save us both some time haggling and sell it to you as cheap as possible at $0000 this week. That's rock bottom pricing for my domain. If you want to go through paypal and deal direct and save fees that's fine or if you want to go through a 3rd party like escrow.com and buyer pay fees as usual that's fine too.

The reason it's time sensitive is because we're either selling it to you this week for this price or going ahead and investing more time and money into the site which ads up quick and are on the edge of possibly just going ahead and investing in drop shipping the "items related to domain" and related products and moving forward.

After we invest in the site and the online products to grow our business we may not be interested in selling or if we would still sell, all costs invested for time and labor will be past along to the buyer.

This is your opportunity to control "domain name" and may be your last chance.

•••
...I countered that with $4500 firm and he pay 100% of the escrow fee, Currently were playing the waiting game where he THINKS I'm going to write him back with a lower offer, That's NOT happening.

If you really think your domain is worth about $4500, then I would just sit tight and do nothing - I'd play this one like Pigeon Shit (rick) has played it to have made his millions. If you hold the aces, do not panic and play your cards right, which in this case is do nothing till he gets back to you. If he doesn't then you haven't sold a good domain too cheaply.

•••
@DnPresident: Not sure if serious ... if I received that mail from the owner of a domain in which I was interested, I would just roll my eyes and see if I could acquire my next choice on the list of acquisitions, rather than play Stroke the Hustler's Ego and further.

It's worth bearing in mind that as your sale price heads north of a thousand dollars, you're less and less likely to luck out and find a gullible moron. Faced with the "you must buy now or we'll develop" ultimatum, the very first thing I do (er, "have done" I suppose, since I've been there) is to look and see what other domains the person owns, see if I can find a single developed one that doesn't look like garbage, then show him some of my developed sites, SERP rankings for them, etc. and pitch him on a joint venture. Both times I have done this the asking price on the domain suddenly, mysteriously dropped pretty dramatically.

What I mean is, watch who you bluff. If you really are thinking of developing a domain, and really are competent at doing so, then chances are you're not going to be out cold calling buyers. It doesn't take a particularly bright person to connect those dots, and every individual you piss off and alienate is not just a person, he's a person who probably uses LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, discussion groups and sites related to his business, etc. and may very well be in business/social circles with other prospects of yours.

Frank

•••
Even the big guys use emails as a way to sell domains.

I got an email this morning from Domain Advisors pushing Adult Toys (dot) com and another adult toy name.
Its nice to see that the big guys are using emails to sell what maybe a million dollar domain, and its really nice of them to think I could afford to buy it..lol (I wish)

I guess we are all in the same boat after all, or in our own boat just in the same harbor.
Some boats are dinghies and some are Yachts :)

My dingy is taking on water :O

•••
If you really think your domain is worth about $4500, then I would just sit tight and do nothing - I'd play this one like Pigeon Shit (rick) has played it to have made his millions. If you hold the aces, do not panic and play your cards right, which in this case is do nothing till he gets back to you. If he doesn't then you haven't sold a good domain too cheaply.

I did exactly that and landed the sale today, Escrow initiated and accepted. :)

I've done the same over the years, but it would be dishonest to say I haven't broken this rule, I have and every time I did I regret it later.

Thanks for the advice ;)

•••
I did exactly that and landed the sale today, Escrow initiated and accepted. :)

Do you mean you sold it for 4.5k to the same guy? That's great if you have. :)

I've done the same over the years, but it would be dishonest to say I haven't broken this rule, I have and every time I did I regret it later.

Thanks for the advice ;)

Knowing the real worth of your domain can really be a big help in such situations. And in your case where you are an experienced domainer you obviously know when to break the rules and when not to :)

In Rick's case, the guy never breaks the rules, I mean who could have sold ireport.com for 750k except rick schwartz?! :) Not that it's not a very good name but 750k is a lot of money - for instance i have a name in the same format and I'd be lucky to get 1k for it :) funny old game, this game sometimes and that's why it makes it interesting for most of us...

Good luck with your next one as well.

PS- if it's ok would you mind PMing me with the name? If not, not to worry :)

•••
Do Not take my advice and ruin your negotiations but after I waited for a reply for a few days with no response, i wrote the interested party again and they bought it.

I'm glad it worked out for you and I appreciate you posting the letter but in all honesty, (please don't take this personal) it comes off as desperate and dishonest. I'm a real hard sell so maybe it's just me.

I always try to keep communication short and to the point.. But in this case when the buyer countered yet again and expanded on why he wanted it, I gave him some honest advice about traffic and how the domain would be far better for his business than the name he was actually seeking, which was a mispell of a word but was his last name.

I expressed that it's too good of a domain to sell at the price he's offering and I couldn't reduce it anymore, I also indicated I was confident I could get more if I wait it out, By saying all this, it sent signals that I'm not as desperate as he may of thought.

It's also important to show some flexibility so the buyer feels he's getting a good deal, so aside from lowering my price from $5800 to $4500, I offered to split the escrow fee of $283, He soon writes back with DONE!

I think one of the most important things when negotiating a sale is NEVER insult that persons intelligence by lying to them, you can get away with bending the truth a little, but if you take it too far most buyers will know it.. That's what I got from your letter, I didn't believe any of it, hopefully what I wrote here will help to improve on it.

Thanks

Do you mean you sold it for 4.5k to the same guy? That's great if you have. :)

YES :)

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on the sale Raider :)

Frank

•••
•••
I'm glad it worked out for you and I appreciate you posting the letter but in all honesty, (please don't take this personal) it comes off as desperate and dishonest. I'm a real hard sell so maybe it's just me.

I always try to keep communication short and to the point.. But in this case when the buyer countered yet again and expanded on why he wanted it, I gave him some honest advice about traffic and how the domain would be far better for his business than the name he was actually seeking, which was a mispell of a word but was his last name.

I expressed that it's too good of a domain to sell at the price he's offering and I couldn't reduce it anymore, I also indicated I was confident I could get more if I wait it out, By saying all this, it sent signals that I'm not as desperate as he may of thought.

It's also important to show some flexibility so the buyer feels he's getting a good deal, so aside from lowering my price from $5800 to $4500, I offered to split the escrow fee of $283, He soon writes back with DONE!

I think one of the most important things when negotiating a sale is NEVER insult that persons intelligence by lying to them, you can get away with bending the truth a little, but if you take it too far most buyers will know it.. That's what I got from your letter, I didn't believe any of it, hopefully what I wrote here will help to improve on it.

Thanks

YES :)

Sorry you didn't believe it because everything I said I believed to be true.

Because of the nature of the domain I felt that If they didn't buy it, the probability of another buyer coming along for the vanity url anytime soon would be slim to none. I already had it setup as a content / amazon and adsense site for vanity furniture very similar to my Heaters dot org site.

At one time it was #1 for the google search vanity but there's some problem now with the code in the script so both domains had dropped away. Because of this and the potential I believe the domains have, I've been in contact with companies about drop shipping and developers for the vanity site.

It may have came off as desperate to you but it wasn't meant to be desperation in my part. It was meant to create a real sense of urgency on the buyers part which seemed to work quite well

Congrats on your sell!

•••
I've now emailed over 100 people about www[dot]forexbookworm[dot]com and no one has replied back. Is it not a quality name?

•••
I've now emailed over 100 people about www[dot]forexbookworm[dot]com and no one has replied back. Is it not a quality name?

Its an extremely poor name. Sorry

•••
Its an extremely poor name. Sorry

yeah I guess I got overconfident. In my first 2 days of domaining I managed to sell two hand regs in cognacreviews.com and latesttrance.com for $225 profit. But those names are better for search engine.

•••
Could you tell me your experience with selling .biz domain to end-users?

I am searching end-users for my .biz domain last two days, and found around 140 already. For most of them I found more than one e-mail address.

Domain is two word (english), exact search 14800, potential end-users are mostly from UK (50%) and from U.S. (20%).

Most of them has the name of my domain name (without .biz of course) in their website title and tag.

Do you think it should pay the effort? What is your experience with .biz to end-users?

Also, most of them own .com name of their company name or similar keyword to mine in .com, but my name is more direct (but in .biz). In this niche is pretty good money.

•••
Could you tell me your experience with selling .biz domain to end-users?

I am searching end-users for my .biz domain last two days, and found around 140 already. For most of them I found more than one e-mail address.

Domain is two word (english), exact search 14800, potential end-users are mostly from UK (50%) and from U.S. (20%).

Most of them has the name of my domain name (without .biz of course) in their website title and tag.

Do you think it should pay the effort? What is your experience with .biz to end-users?

Also, most of them own .com name of their company name or similar keyword to mine in .com, but my name is more direct (but in .biz). In this niche is pretty good money.

Try to develop it and if SEO'ed properly, it would rank really well with Google and then put Adsesne on and then you could have a choice of either keeping it as an income domain or sell it on Flipper - I wouldn't waste my time on selling any 2 word .biz unless it was something like RealEstate.biz.

btw, I've done exactly the same as said above and I will put it on Flipper in a few months time after it has earned some Adsesne money.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back