IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How often do you guys Re-email your potential buyers?

And how many times do you re-email them until you give up?

•••

I email about a month or 2 after and in my case I never give up! That was the case with my sale of Caei dot net. I emailed him maybe once every couple of months and sometimes with no response until the day I told him I'd let it go for $400 and he said " $300 is the most I can offer" and we made the deal. Sometimes it's best to just leave them alone if they come off like a prick. This guy was cool and I could tell he just wanted it for much less than I wanted to sell.

•••
If you want to reach end users you need to send E-mail from a clean IP address. If you send from a large ISP like Comcast the likelihood of your mail being flagged as spam is high. Avoid free E-mail too.

You want to convince end users they need your wonderful .com domain yet you are using a gmail.com address ? Come on ;)

I would recommend using a domain name of your own, hosted on a shared/dedi server. Of course it must be on a clean IP block too.

Never thought of that. Thanks for the info.

•••
•••
I email about a month or 2 after and in my case I never give up! That was the case with my sale of Caei dot net. I emailed him maybe once every couple of months and sometimes with no response until the day I told him I'd let it go for $400 and he said " $300 is the most I can offer" and we made the deal. Sometimes it's best to just leave them alone if they come off like a prick. This guy was cool and I could tell he just wanted it for much less than I wanted to sell.

That's the most annoying spam, though. :snaphappy:

•••

never. (with the same domain)
I might re email them with another domain but never the same domain twice.

I consider this spam myself.

•••
That's the most annoying spam, though. :snaphappy:

It's not spam to me if the guy shows interest and just can't pay what I have offered the domain for.

So I email about a month or 2-3 months after and say I have reduced the price and if they're interested.

I only email endusers with similar domains or domains with my keywords in their description and if I don't get an initial response I don't email them again.

•••

If I don't hear back from them, then I don't email them again.

If they email back and are interested, I email them a few more times, if I don't hear any responses.

•••
I have a sale pending for $250 and I was wondering how I would go about transferring to another registrar? And do I have to pay for the transfer or the enduser?

Thanks in advance.

ps. Once it goes through and I get the $ I will let you know all the details.

•••
After you (Escrow) receive payment, they need to purchase a transfer at their registrar and then you will provide them with a Authorization code that will allow them to transfer it out. If they are transferring into GD (and maybe some other registrars), then you need to send them the transaction id and security code that you will receive from GD once the transfer has been initiated.

Then it takes about 5-7 days for it to go through.

•••
After you (Escrow) receive payment, they need to purchase a transfer at their registrar and then you will provide them with a Authorization code that will allow them to transfer it out. If they are transferring into GD (and maybe some other registrars), then you need to send them the transaction id and security code that you will receive from GD once the transfer has been initiated.

Then it takes about 5-7 days for it to go through.

Thanks, I always transfer first (in good faith) with no escrow and expect the payment after through paypal(never had any problems).Sounds like a pain to me to do a transfer out of Gdd.

I asked him to open an account at Gdd so I can transfer it to him. Hopefully he will do it as I would hate to go through transferring out.

All my sales to endusers I have pushed to Godaddy with ease.

•••
I would personally never transfer the domain until payment is received first. You have absolutely no recourse if they don't pay you, except maybe going to their city and taking them to civil court...

•••
One thing to remember though is that most businesses online don't know that sellers aren't protected against fraud/non-payments via Paypal on domains. Other than that, most businesses won't have reason to screw you over & likely won't. Large transactions should be done with an Escrow but don't fret over a $100-250 issue.

•••
You have more faith in mankind than me :)

•••
Not always. My last $100 sale was done via Escrow. I don't trust easily when it comes to ppl I don't know :)

•••
For me it 100% depends on the buyer. If it's some random yahoo address emailing me wanting to buy a domain, they'll be using Escrow or mailing me a check. But if I'm the one who contacted them, and they're a legit business, I'll accept PayPal because I can get a transaction done in a matter of hours. In my experience most buyers prefer to just use their credit card and be done with it, even when they don't normally use PayPal (they do not need to sign up to pay for an invoice). Some buyers take a few more days to pay than others but generally people pay pretty quick. In most cases, I personally don't force an established, legitimate end user to use Escrow unless it's a solid $xxxx sale.

I figure that if I'm dealing with a reputable business or businessperson, they would regret it real fast if they decided to pull a fast one on me. It simply wouldn't be worth the damage I could do to their name on the internet by exposing their fraudulent ways to the public. ;)

Last edited:
•••
For me it 100% depends on the buyer. If it's some random yahoo address emailing me wanting to buy a domain, they'll be using Escrow or mailing me a check. But if I'm the one who contacted them, and they're a legit business, I'll accept PayPal because I can get a transaction done in a matter of hours. In my experience most buyers prefer to just use their credit card and be done with it, even when they don't normally use PayPal (they do not need to sign up to pay for an invoice). Some buyers take a few more days to pay than others but generally people pay pretty quick. In most cases, I personally don't force an established, legitimate end user to use Escrow unless it's a solid $xxxx sale.

I figure that if I'm dealing with a reputable business or businessperson, they would regret it real fast if they decided to pull a fast one on me. It simply wouldn't be worth the damage I could do to their name on the internet by exposing their fraudulent ways to the public. ;)

Exactly. I contacted this person first and I know they are a legitimate business so I always show good faith by transferring the domain first.

$250 is not a lot of money so it's not a big deal to me. I haven't had one problem with doing it this way so far.

It also helps for the sale to endusers because they've never heard of you and you are the one contacting them.

I've even sold a domain for $1200 without escrow. I'm a good person so I don't expect it to happen but then again you never know I guess.....

•••
You guys ever send your domain notifications through a websites "Contact" page?

I never know if its worth it, I always wonder if there isn't some minimum wage flunky on the other end who wouldn't know what to do with it.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with that.

•••
I'd advise you to not waste your time. The ppl who read the responses typically are not high enough in power to be of help & wouldn't know what to do with your request. And they don't always follow-up on forwarding to the right ppl. I've never once in my career heard of a sale--even a $10 sale--occurring from a website form. It's just a waste.

I never know if its worth it, I always wonder if there isn't some minimum wage flunky on the other end who wouldn't know what to do with it.

•••
lennco said:

I'd advise you to not waste your time. The ppl who read the responses typically are not high enough in power to be of help & wouldn't know what to do with your request. And they don't always follow-up on forwarding to the right ppl. I've never once in my career heard of a sale--even a $10 sale--occurring from a website form. It's just a waste.

I recently flipped a hand reg for $1000 after contacting the buyer through their website's contact form, so I would have to disagree with such a blanket statement. Contact forms can really come in handy when you can't find any legitimate email addresses for a website, and could actually be more likely to be read than a normal email, which could bounce, be sent to spam, etc. I'd say it depends on the website. If it's a large company and you're contacting Customer Service via a form, then I would agree that the chances of a sale aren't generally great. It's all about contacting the right people.

•••
You're the first and only I've ever heard who had success at this. Hats off to you, my compatriot.

I recently flipped a hand reg for $1000 after contacting the buyer through their website's contact form, so I would have to disagree with such a blanket statement. Contact forms can really come in handy when you can't find any legitimate email addresses for a website, and could actually be more likely to be read than a normal email, which could bounce, be sent to spam, etc. I'd say it depends on the website. If it's a large company and you're contacting Customer Service via a form, then I would agree that the chances of a sale aren't generally great. It's all about contacting the right people.

•••

I'd have to agree with Archangel. I haven't gotten any responses from contact forms but when there is no other possible email that I can use I go with the contact form.

•••
It can't be that rare. 90% of the time I find an email address (from the whois or by Googling their domain) to use so I can't say I've given the contact form method a fair try, but it's not like these forms all send your messages off to never-never land never to be read by anyone...

•••
I'm not saying the messages aren't read. In most cases (there are studies but I'm too tired -- it's 3am here as I type -- to Google any), the ppl who receive these messages are only staff & have no real idea what to make of your pitch. Yeah, it may not be AS rare as I made it seem but I've only recollection of you mentioning a sale coming from one. And I literally have photographic memory, to boot. ppl should post more about their sales experiences. :p

It can't be that rare. 90% of the time I find an email address (from the whois or by Googling their domain) to use so I can't say I've given the contact form method a fair try, but it's not like these forms all send your messages off to never-never land never to be read by anyone...

•••
.. the ppl who receive these messages are only staff & have no real idea what to make of your pitch.

With this simple sentence you could get around that:

Address it to : "For the attention of directors"

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

I recently flipped a hand reg for $1000 after contacting the buyer through their website's contact form,..

How closely your domain was related to their site's name? Giving the main keyword would be very helpful, if you can?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back