IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Recently someone started a thread that seemed a duplicate of this one, but it seems to be gone now. In it there was a link to a site where you could put in a keyword and see a list of the registered domains containing that keyword. But I cannot recall the name of the site and cannot seem to find it by searching (partly because it had a non-memorable domain name).

Can someone name the site? I really want to find it again.

I use NameDroppers.com :)

•••
I use NameDroppers.com :)

Hi thanks but that isn't the one - I'm still looking. It was a short domain with a few random seeming letters at the start.

•••
•••
@ Carob

No idea about any other site like this but to get more leads for 2-3 words, simply give space between them and you will get more results. Click More Options to have something more :)

•••
@carob
I think you are looking for zfbot.com

•••
Recently someone started a thread that seemed a duplicate of this one, but it seems to be gone now. In it there was a link to a site where you could put in a keyword and see a list of the registered domains containing that keyword. But I cannot recall the name of the site and cannot seem to find it by searching (partly because it had a non-memorable domain name).

Can someone name the site? I really want to find it again.

I use expireddomains.net - it has several options and is free to use. Hope this helps add to your domain naming toolbox.

•••
Anyone know of any services similar to LeadRefs? Man, that service was awesome. Too bad they shut down. :'(

•••
Anyone know of any services similar to LeadRefs? Man, that service was awesome. Too bad they shut down. :'(

Try NameDroppers.com
It doesn't display email addresses but shows all variations taken with the same keyword.

•••
After reading this thread I started to send emails to end-users. I have send 7 emails for 2 domains.

I want to see the results first before I send more. I want to see I if I need to change the email.

Will keep you posted.

•••
Unless it's an awesome domain you're going to have to send more than that to get responses.

I just sent about 100 emails today for one of my decent domains and only received 2 "how much" replies.

After reading this thread I started to send emails to end-users. I have send 7 emails for 2 domains.

I want to see the results first before I send more. I want to see I if I need to change the email.

Will keep you posted.

•••
Unless it's an awesome domain you're going to have to send more than that to get responses.

I just sent about 100 emails today for one of my decent domains and only received 2 "how much" replies.

You're looking at 2-4 'how much' and maybe 1 of which is seriously interested in my experience.

•••
One domain name is a 4 letter .net and there are only a few companies and schools that have these 4 letters in their current domain name. So not many options.

Will see how it goes.

•••
My first sale ever was a 4 letter .net that only had about 4 possible end-users with only 1 of them responding and buying it instantly for my asking price($1,200).

The company that bought the domain didn't own the .com(which was owned by a big company), and used the acronym in their logo.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

One domain name is a 4 letter .net and there are only a few companies and schools that have these 4 letters in their current domain name. So not many options.

Will see how it goes.

•••
With regard to the number of emails you send out I think it depends on the value of your domain. The lower the value the more viable end user options you will have. If you are selling a lot of lower value domains then you need a slick process otherwise the time spent sending the emails eats in to the profit.

•••
I had a reply from one of the 3 possible end-users for my 4 letter.net domain name. He explained that he tried to register in 1999 the .com but another big corporate was first. He register a domain name with the same 4 letters but added 2 letter in front with a dash.

He mention that people will get confused if he develop a website for the .net and go to the .com. He outrank the .com already with his own domain name.

It was a nice email as he did take time to explain why he couldn't buy it.

I have send an email to the CEO of the .com but no reply net.

Will wait and see. Keep you posted.

•••
The start of the year has been fairly slow which is not a great surprise but sold a mid-2012 hand reg today for £335 and whilst not a huge amount its always nice!

•••
Good thread, its taken me over a week to get through it.
Nice to read the successes and the development of techniques.

As in any sales environment understanding your end user is important and your product/service must offer value. If there is a positive answer to these two then this doesn't have to be about mass emails. Purchasing strategy is key.

Nothing here that hasn't been mentioned before but some comments from me in the way of a hello.

Theydon.

The bolded is so true... I have two pending sales that justify this notion.

I didnt email more than is required.

In the first domain, I found 3 different companies that had the keyword of my domain but in different extension while I have the .com. Intially, I was just emailing everyone on the block and i got no response at all.

I sat down after coming here some months ago to read this thread over a few paged back and then I said to myself that since I have the .com, then I stand a chance of a getting a sale with one of this companies.

I went back and sent another email but this time I focused my attention on just the 3 companies. I personalized the email based on what I could find on their website such as when company was established, use company slogan at the end of my email and then put my own domain at the top while thers was directly below mine.

e.g xyz.com
xyz.net
I got this tip from here deep down at the ocean of this thread.

As for details of what I used in my email, I could not find much to use for other extension but found more valuable info on the website of the .net version for my domain name.

and guess what? the .net owner replied me...

But it has been too long now and the deal hasnt been completed just yet since November last year. The guy is somewhat of an old school.

Patience is the watch word here and dont come across as being desperate.

The second one is less than 2 weeks old. I bought the domain and email just one company...

I emailed them before, got no response and I emailed them again last week Wednesday and by Thursday, I got " How much do you want for this domain name"?

I have replied them and hoping that by this coming week, we shall work something out.

Using this strategy requires laser targetted research, Look for loop holes and feel it.

In the second domain prospecting, I noticed that they have a product that is named after my domain and their domain is the .info version of mine which was what led me to their website. Their website has non of my keyword in its domain.

Another thing is that on the whois page, the email displayed is that of brick wall called "webmaster" but luckily for me, the company's website url was displayed. I took out time to visit their website , clicked on the "contact us" page and found emails of all the MDs to their various branches.

I emailed all of them... so let's see how this coming week will be like.

Regards,
Jideofor (proudly Nigerian)

Last edited:
•••
.....good luck Jideofor, it can be difficult at times but persistence and a good strategy certainly helps - keep us updated on progress

•••
Okay... I have a few question:

I have domain.com but they have thedomain.com

I have keywordpayment.com they have keywordpayments.com

I have domain.com and they have domain.at

Do I stand a chance of selling to all these prospect and by what percentage from your own judgement?

•••
Okay... I have a few question:

I have domain.com but they have thedomain.com

I have keywordpayment.com they have keywordpayments.com

I have domain.com and they have domain.at

Do I stand a chance of selling to all these prospect and by what percentage from your own judgement?

Sure, go for it! There are too many other variables to be considered though as far as your chances of success... such as (a) the domain, (b) your approach, (c) your asking price, (d) the company's marketing budget, (e) their level of desire to own your domain, (f) the quality of your contacts (are you reaching the right person).... etc. Any estimation of your chance of success is wild speculation :imho:

That being said, if I were in your position, I'd probably be content with 1/3, very happy with 2/3 and ecstatic about 3/3 sold for a good ROI.

•••
•••
Sure, go for it! There are too many other variables to be considered though as far as your chances of success... such as (a) the domain, (b) your approach, (c) your asking price, (d) the company's marketing budget, (e) their level of desire to own your domain, (f) the quality of your contacts (are you reaching the right person).... etc. Any estimation of your chance of success is wild speculation :imho:

That being said, if I were in your position, I'd probably be content with 1/3, very happy with 2/3 and ecstatic about 3/3 sold for a good ROI.

yeah, sure I dont expect to sell all. if I could sell just one, I am okay. But if I sell all 3, i will be over the moon.

I do consider all the factors listed above and I learnt not to be greedy as well. Thanks to FX.

That guy has been of tremedous help to me over the past few months and thanks to LuigoMike who took the lid off my eyes and help me make my first $500 and thanks to all and every member of this forum who drop their tips as well.
God bless you all.

•••
I have a problem with one of my domains now and hopefully, I just wish it does not happen with the second one that just started last week wherein I email them and they asked how much... I replied with a $1000 asking price but made it known to them that I am open to negotiation.

In the first domain, we had talked back and forth since November. The end user said they will only consider buying my domain name if the price was really low. so I told him to make an offer and that if his price was fair enough, I will sell the domain to him. He later replied me to thank me and said he will get in touch with his company directors and will contact me as soon as a decision is made. This was in November and the company is a realestate company that was established in the 80s. My domain is the a .com version of theirs. Funny thing is that the man is the founder of the company and I wonder what is the need to contact company directors for when he could just do it. Though I asked them for a $1700 but after some weeks of not hearing from them, I reduced it to $1200 and that was before he said he would contact his company directors.

But uptill now, I have not heard from them and I also emailed the man last week.

Last week, I got another email from a big laundry company in the UK where a woman asked me how much I want for my domain name, I told her $1000 but also said she should let me know what she has in mind. I stated that if I her price is fair enought, I will sell the domain name to her.

I will like to know what tactics could be used to make this people take action and buy the domain name ASAP. I hate waiting long on a domain someone has already showed interest and is this norm with big corporate bodies? I mean delaying when they should have just grab the domain once and for all after showing interest, especailly when the seller creates a negotiation window.

Last edited:
•••
ppl will at more if they believe ht they have limited time. Right now, they likely think that they have all the time in the world. You need to find a way to limit them. An idea: contact these ppl & let the know you're only accepting offers for another week or "by the end of the month." That way, they'll know to stop pussyfooting around & make a move.

I have a problem with one of my domains now and hopefully, I just wish it does not happen with the second one that just started last week wherein I email them and they asked how much... I replied with a $1000 asking price but made it known to them that I am open to negotiation.

In the first domain, we had talked back and forth since November. The end user said they will only consider buying my domain name if the price was really low. so I told him to make an offer and that if his price was fair enough, I will sell the domain to him. He later replied me to thank me and said he will get in touch with his company directors and will contact me as soon as a decision is made. This was in November and the company is a realestate company that was established in the 80s. My domain is the a .com version of theirs. Funny thing is that the man is the founder of the company and I wonder what is the need to contact company directors for when he could just do it. Though I asked them for a $1700 but after some weeks of not hearing from them, I reduced it to $1200 and that was before he said he would contact his company directors.

But uptill now, I have not heard from them and I also emailed the man last week.

Last week, I got another email from a big laundry company in the UK where a woman asked me how much I want for my domain name, I told her $1000 but also said she should let me know what she has in mind. I stated that if I her price is fair enought, I will sell the domain name to her.

I will like to know what tactics could be used to make this people take action and buy the domain name ASAP. I hate waiting long on a domain someone has already showed interest and is this norm with big corporate bodies? I mean delaying when they should have just grab the domain once and for all after showing interest, especailly when the seller creates a negotiation window.

•••

Look I am new to domains but a 25 veteran of sales. Sales101 is: the first person that speaks (after price is quoted) LOSES!!. NEVER say it is negotiable. They may counter. You have to stay firm if you believe the domain is worth the money...OR counter their offer ONCE with the caveat that they are willing to proceed immediately.
Everyone want a bargain. The RE company has been functioning just fine with another extension. He believes there value in owning the DOT COM BUT if you appear hungry, he will just wait. TALKING to the board is just an excuse, like "i must talk to my wife"
I must disagree with Archangel. Never put yourself in a position that you don't look professional. Telling them they ONLY have a week is way too transparent. WHAT happens when they come back to you in 9 days with your asking price?

Namaste!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back