NameSilo

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do have a few domains I wanna sell (November/December are holiday months so I'll wait til January to sell) but I've pretty much stopped with domaining, mostly because spammers and scammers have made it too difficult for a guy like me to sell anything. They're the bane of the industry. I'm happy to hear of members getting 4-figure sales but let's be realistic: For every $x,xxx sale, there are 300,000 sales of $50 or less. (Hyperbole but you get the idea) Assholes simply made it near impossible for some sellers to turn a profit.

•••
I assume this is the reason it's harder for us to sell domains to end users now adays since most of them would just ignore and think it's a scam.
Evenif it's not a scam, you also have to realize that you're NOT the only one sending sales pitches to the end-user.

I know you are all legit, but everyone else is doing exactly the same thing sending "targetted" sales pitch emails. If you get one (1) successful end-user sales this way, it is possible you irritated the other 3,000 end-users who did not respond to your sales pitch. And this irritation will eventually snowball into outrage and these guys will eventually trash everyone else.

Seriously, i think many domainers here are only focusing on their successful sales, and ignoring the statistics that will show "in reality" they actually carpet-bombed a good number of end-users using this so-called "targetted" method.

•••
The method is ok, the "domainers" aren't.

Actually if I think a little better, this kind of people exist in probably every area/industry and in the same time those who are doing it right see the results.

•••
this kind of people exist in probably every area/industry and in the same time those who are doing it right see the results.
That's what i'm saying. Everytime someone says he is doing it right and seeing results, he completely ignores how many times he got ignored and never saw a result.

You'll hear someone say he gets 5 sales a day every week. So that's 35 sales in one week. And you say, wow that's awesome. But if you consider that he sent 50 sales pitches for every 5 successful sales, then that's a low turnout.

So what about the guy who gets his sales pitch on his inbox, PLUS sales pitch from 20 others like him? The guy receives 20 sales pitches per day, for a total of 140 sales pitches filling his inbox in 1 week! It's not surprising if he would bunch them altogether as spam.

That is why there's a nationwide "Do Not Call" list in America, to give people the chance to block telemarketers, even the legit ones.

Most people just don't want to be bothered. That is why people go to grocery stores. They don't want the grocery to send them sale pitch brochures and flyers to their house everyday.

•••
I get those too dotcomer. These are offers to "secure" a domain that is coming up on expiry. My favourites are the ones who offer to "secure" a domain for me that I am dropping because it is worthless. My very favourite.

Frank

•••

That is why there's a nationwide "Do Not Call" list in America, to give people the chance to block telemarketers, even the legit ones.

and

I get those too dotcomer. These are offers to "secure" a domain that is coming up on expiry. My favourites are the ones who offer to "secure" a domain for me that I am dropping because it is worthless. My very favourite.

Frank

Is it to late/hard to start building a list with these people? Everybody can contribute and we have better chances of cointaining this phenomenon.

Last edited:
•••
There is zero chance of effectively stopping that phenomenon. It will run on for as long as people fall for it, and then run on a little longer for as long as idiots will buy a "foolproof system for domaining profits!" off of ClickBank, which advises them to market expiring domains via e-mail.

Worry about making money, not chasing petit villains.

Frank

•••
Sadly, he's dead on. It'll never realistically see an end,

There is zero chance of effectively stopping that phenomenon. It will run on for as long as people fall for it, and then run on a little longer for as long as idiots will buy a "foolproof system for domaining profits!" off of ClickBank, which advises them to market expiring domains via e-mail.

Worry about making money, not chasing petit villains.

Frank

•••
posted by alien51:
Everytime someone says he is doing it right and seeing results, he completely ignores how many times he got ignored and never saw a result.

You'll hear someone say he gets 5 sales a day every week. So that's 35 sales in one week. And you say, wow that's awesome. But if you consider that he sent 50 sales pitches for every 5 successful sales, then that's a low turnout.

The secret to five sales a day is incredibly simple: you have to get up early, you have to have a "forward leaning" attitude, and you have to look yourself in the mirror every day and say "Today, I will go to NamePros and lie about how many domains I'm selling."

:)

Frank

•••
"Today, I will go to NamePros and lie about how many domains I'm selling."

:)

Frank

roflol

well I HAD 5 DOMAIN SALES IN ONE DAY
(disclaimer: it was on ebay - hahaha ;)

•••
Perhaps, it "may" be possible to sell domains that many..... if you keep your asking prices AS LOW AS POSSIBLE.

If you regged a domain for 8 bucks, sell it for 20 bucks, that's a profit of 12 bucks. Chinese Commerce: LOW MARGINS. VOLUME SALES.

But even the battle for "quality" reg fee domains, is intense. What with all the domain vacuum cleaners around.

But as i have seen from the publicly displayed portfolios of some "super-bulk domainers", they are taking in too much garbage in the hope of selling a few gems.

The only way you can boost your margins, without taking tons of trash, is to spend money on the expensive ones in the Aftermarket reselling arena.

•••
The only way you can boost your margins, without taking tons of trash, is to spend money on the expensive ones in the Aftermarket reselling arena.

Ehh, handregging has been working for me and I know I'm not alone. The sale rate might not be as good (this will vary from person to person) but one must take into consideration that you can hand reg ANY available .com you can find(!!) for ~$8 (or less as coupons allow). If I had reg 5 domains, that's ~$40 and I'll usually be able to sell at least one for $300-800. Sometimes I'll sell 0/5 and once in a blue moon I'll sell 4/5.

In the aftermarket it can be difficult to find 1 or 2 good .com's for that same $40, and quite often the extra money spent does not translate into a higher sale price OR sale rate. And don't forget that it's easy to spend $50 or $300 on a "great buy" that might not end up paying off well.

Don't get me wrong, I do plenty of both hand regging and aftermarket purchasing, but it's hard not to like the ROI on hand regs. That, and the fact that the most you can lose on any investment is ~$8 (plus renewals if you so choose). Yes, you may get addicted :blink: and acquire a lot of unsold ("trash") domains over time, but if you choose your domains right and have the right strategies in place, you shouldn't have much trouble turning a profit on, say, 100 hand regged domains. If you can manage to sell just 2 or 3 of those to end users over 12 months, you should be able to cover your costs of ~$800. Of course the goal is to sell more like 30 or 40 (or heck why not all 100!) but my point is, you HAVE to sell more domains if you're paying well over reg fee.

Last edited:
•••
Ehh, handregging has been working for me and I know I'm not alone. The sale rate might not be as good (this will vary from person to person) but one must take into consideration that you can hand reg ANY available .com you can find(!!) for ~$8 (or less as coupons allow).
Well, i did say it was possible. And i did say your chances of making a sale increases, if you keep your asking prices down.

you shouldn't have much trouble turning a profit on, say, 100 hand regged domains. If you can manage to sell just 2 or 3 of those to end users over 12 months, you should be able to cover your costs of ~$800.
Yes, but the amount of labor you need to do to breakeven your $800 within a time limit of 1 year (before renewal fees start jacking up your costs again), is quite daunting. Especially if your 100 domains are all reg fee quality.

In the end, you may gave up a ton of sweat for just a measly $300 "annual" profit.

•••
Yes, but the amount of labor you need to do to breakeven your $800 within a time limit of 1 year (before renewal fees start jacking up your costs again), is quite daunting. Especially if your 100 domains are all reg fee quality.

In the end, you may gave up a ton of sweat for just a measly $300 "annual" profit.

You're absolutely right, it's probably not worth it if all you can do is break even or make $300 on those 100 domains. Of course everyone has their own benchmark but personally I'd be shooting for at least, say, 20 solid mid $xxx+ sales out of the 100 domains.

Whether you're handregging or purchasing in the aftermarket, what it really comes down to is your ability to select desirable domains in the first place. Either you're building a portfolio of desirable domains, or you're not.

- If you're not, then the 100 domains are probably worth about $800 or less.
- If you are, then you should be able to make a healthy amount of sales, regardless of how you acquire them.

That being said, there's more to the game than just selecting desirable domains. There are levels of desirability and the lower levels will need help to sell. I've seen people who are great at selecting good domains, but they stop there for whatever reason.

The fact is, most domains (ones over 2 words in length in particular) will not sell on their own over 12 months time. Hardly any of my sales come from unsolicited interest.

Last edited:
•••
I am mostly flipping now and try not to keep domains for a longer period of time and keep my portfolio as small as possible and renew only those which are my best ones, the rest is either flipped or sold in Forums after one year. I select domains in a way where i am sure that even in worst case scenario i am able to sell them even at namepros for reg fee.

Also much more careful with higher amount investments and purchases from others / snap services, since i personally had more success (ROI) with hand regged domains. I am happy with the "chinese" way at the moment. But i can adjust accordingly, should i see changes in the market which i observe carefully. At the moment i focus more on brandable names than keyword names, since i observed a shift and more interest in these type of names this year (probably also because google changed!)

•••
I start enduser mailing.... i always have interested end users replying me asking for price but after i price them there is no reply

my 1st email is clean and crisp

can anyone show me the sample 2nd email should be when there is a reply to your first one...

any help would be appreciated

•••
Hi !
Any one remember the website which given by FX, to find end user: companies in UK.
Please PM me.
Thank you so much !

•••
I doubt the 2nd email is hurting. Your price likely is. Best compare prices at www.dnsalesprice.com & make a better estimation.

I start enduser mailing.... i always have interested end users replying me asking for price but after i price them there is no reply

my 1st email is clean and crisp

can anyone show me the sample 2nd email should be when there is a reply to your first one...

any help would be appreciated

•••
Yep, mostly the prices shock endusers, not your wording.
You have to know that many endusers don't even know that domains are traded with higher prices. All they know is that you can register domain names with godaddy for 10 dollars. Now the difficult part is to convince them that in fact good domain names are sold for much higher prices and that the price is justified.

•••
your right most of them think they can get one for $10 ...and i price them mostly high XXX or mid XXXX which is fair... should you think i should include the advantage of buying this domain...keyword history etc

•••
... should you think i should include the advantage of buying this domain...keyword history etc
I think nowadays, that kind of tactic will only work for virgin end-users.

•••
your right most of them think they can get one for $10 ...and i price them mostly high XXX or mid XXXX which is fair... should you think i should include the advantage of buying this domain...keyword history etc

First of all, there is a big gap between mid xxx and high xxxx!

Secondly, no i wouldn't write novels. Keep it short.

And finally if you want my honest suggestion, i would be happy with mid xxx for most of the names which you registered yourself for few dollars. Thats the sweet spot and decisions are made faster for low to mid xxx amounts. Of course if the name is crap, they won't even pay 1 dollar for it, Endusers might not be experienced with domain trading, but they are not stupid and they won't buy crap for xxx.

•••
•••
Good thread, its taken me over a week to get through it.
Nice to read the successes and the development of techniques.

As in any sales environment understanding your end user is important and your product/service must offer value. If there is a positive answer to these two then this doesn't have to be about mass emails. Purchasing strategy is key.

Nothing here that hasn't been mentioned before but some comments from me in the way of a hello.

Theydon.

•••
Recently someone started a thread that seemed a duplicate of this one, but it seems to be gone now. In it there was a link to a site where you could put in a keyword and see a list of the registered domains containing that keyword. But I cannot recall the name of the site and cannot seem to find it by searching (partly because it had a non-memorable domain name).

Can someone name the site? I really want to find it again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back