NameSilo

The official .mobi, .asia, .IDN sucks thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The official .mobi/ .asia/ .me/ .TV sucks thread

It seems every good thread these days gets filled with .mobi/ .asia/ .IDN/ .TV/ .us, debates. So here's a thread we can have at it! We can also refer people here if things get heated.

;)

I'll start with a neutral statement:

WTF is the point of .mobi?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
raredn.com said:
Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out, point taken, a regional extension, just like .eu

.eu was a roaring success, some people may even call it the best kept secret on the web :tu:

Do you treat all regional extensions as the same thing. How about national extensions?

•••
raredn.com said:
Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out, point taken, a regional extension, just like .eu
.eu was a roaring success, some people may even call it the best kept secret on the web :tu:

The .eu extension has been so far a failure indeed (which is what you meant). But I would think that it would still make slightly more sense than .asia.

There's nothing like a European Union in Asia. European countries aren't fighting against each other anymore while several Asian countries are still at war with each other. Many European people are living and working in different European countries, there's a lot of travel inside Europe (just like inside the US). This simply doesn't exist in Asia now.

And despite all that, the .eu extension is still very much a failure. So I would think that .asia could only do even worse than .eu in the future.

•••
Very, very early to write anything off.

•••
martina2061 said:
Do you treat all regional extensions as the same thing. How about national extensions?
Hey I am just toying around regarding .asia

National extensions like .de and com.au are extremely popular (well com.au is here anyway), some National extensions are not as popular depending on country

Last edited:
•••
martina2061 said:
Very, very early to write anything off.

ccTLDs are based on the fact that some human beings see themselves as being part of the same country/culture. For example, Japanese people/companies see themselves as being part of Japan and the Japanese culture. This explains the success of the meaningful .jp TLD in Japan.

The .asia extension could work if and only if Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, etc. people saw themselves as being all part of a same Asian country/culture.

Is this the case ?

•••
•••
Any extension beside .com is there to strengthen and popularize .com!

A site developed under any unfamiliar extension and being promoted and marketed is just strengthening and popularizing its .com version! imho

•••
michaeldotcom said:
The .asia extension could work if and only if Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, etc. people saw themselves as being all part of a same Asian country/culture.

Is this the case ?

.Asia will be a success if only a fraction of the population in the above countries adopt it. If these countries adopted it like the US adopted .com and their internet access was the same than .asia would be massive.

•••
.eu, .us... New domainers need a history lesson :imho:

martina2061 said:
.Asia will be a success if only a fraction of the population in the above countries adopt it. If these countries adopted it like the US adopted .com and their internet access was the same than .asia would be massive.

•••
Sufyan said:

A site developed under any unfamiliar extension and being promoted and marketed is just strengthening and popularizing its .com version! imho
Well in that case, I hope that people get .asia versions of all my .coms and hold onto them for dear life, not just 'copout' and let them drop in a years time

•••
As I said earlier, it is still very, very early. If you don't have any .asia then you have nothing to worry about. Some of us think it will do reasonably well and we're not buying them with your money.

•••
martina2061 said:
As I said earlier, it is still very, very early. If you don't have any .asia then you have nothing to worry about.
So the warning is here people, as martina2061 has pointed out above, if you [highlight] DO[/highlight] have .asia names, then you[highlight] DO [/highlight]have something to worry about :great:

No offence, just having some fun,

Thanks for taking part martina2061

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
So the warning is here people, as martina2061 has said above, if you [highlight] do[/highlight] have .asia names, then you[highlight] DO [/highlight]have something to worry about :great:

No offence, just having some fun,

Thanks for taking part martina2061

It's good to talk it out because I know I've had the same doubts as you at times when buying .asia but my optimism won over. Who knows, may pay off.

•••
martina2061 said:
It's good to talk it out because I know I've had the same doubts as you at times when buying .asia but my optimism won over. Who knows, may pay off.
It may do, .TV paid of surprisingly better (for some people on here, actually one person comes to mind, that is namepros user .TV) then I would have expected

•••
martina2061 said:

Just like others in this thread, I don't see much value in .asia domains for the aforementioned reasons.

However, domaining is all about taking risks. Maybe you will be proved right and we will be proved wrong. Who knows ?

Anyway, I wish you all the best for your investments.

•••
•••
raredn.com said:
Well in that case, I hope that people get .asia versions of all my .coms and hold onto them for dear life, not just 'copout' and let them drop in a years time
Have you heard Frank said this? "the trend is your friend and that trend is still .com .. stick with .com and you will create more opportunity for yourself. More opportunity for traffic, more opportunity for sales."

I agree with him 100% and so do you. Right?

•••
Sufyan said:
Have you heard Frank said this? "the trend is your friend and that trend is still .com .. stick with .com and you will create more opportunity for yourself. More opportunity for traffic, more opportunity for sales."

I agree with him 100% and so do you. Right?
Well my domain collection contains hundreds of .com's, 2 .orgs and a handful of specific country code domain names, so if Mr Schilling is right, I have nothing to fear

•••
Sufyan said:
I will answer your question after you answer my question which is:

WTF is the point of any extension except .com?
To please the non-americans.

.DE - germany
.DK - Denmark

ETC ETC.

.COM - USA
.US - poor hopeless cctld

Its too bad the mainstream domainer market has a large share of Americans. Of course we would think the tld we use is the kind of the world. What else is new?

ccTLDS will dominate the world except for one place, the USA.

•••
•••
90% CCTLDS 7% other 3% .COM

Fair to say that I am the most diversified american there is :)

•••
I like the way you think Sam :kickass:

•••
Sufyan said:
Yup, .edu, .gov and .mil were included in the list of original tld's for just that purpose. :hehe:

•••
Sufyan said:

Sure that's what top .com domainers like Frank Schilling or Rick Schwartz want you to believe, because it's their agenda. They want you to think so because they're only interested in increasing the value of their excellent .com portfolios. I can't blame them for doing so.

But the truth is that many people/companies in many countries around the world aren't nearly as completely obsessed with .com as some domainers seem to be.

I have nothing at all against .com, but I acknowledge that there's also a life outside .com and that other meaningful gTLDs/ccTLDs are doing very well.

According to Sedo themselves, the average price of .co.uk domain has risen 22% in the past 3 years while .com has fallen 18% over the same time period. This example (amongst many others) does prove my point.

•••
I still distinctly remember prices reported in DN Journal even in today's rough economy being stronger than 2005 for dotcom...

michaeldotcom said:
Sure that's what top .com domainers like Frank Schilling or Rick Schwartz want you to believe, because it's their agenda. They want you to think so because they're only interested in increasing the value of their excellent .com portfolios. I can't blame them for doing so.

But the truth is that many people/companies in many countries around the world aren't nearly as completely obsessed with .com as some domainers seem to be.

I have nothing at all against .com, but I acknowledge that there's also a life outside .com and that other meaningful gTLDs/ccTLDs are doing very well.

According to Sedo themselves, the average price of .co.uk domain has risen 22% in the past 3 years while .com has fallen 18% over the same time period. This example (amongst many others) does prove my point.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back