NameSilo

The official .mobi, .asia, .IDN sucks thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The official .mobi/ .asia/ .me/ .TV sucks thread

It seems every good thread these days gets filled with .mobi/ .asia/ .IDN/ .TV/ .us, debates. So here's a thread we can have at it! We can also refer people here if things get heated.

;)

I'll start with a neutral statement:

WTF is the point of .mobi?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hawkeye said:
The funny part on this 'discussion' of what extensions suck, is that if one looks, 96% of the 'in the know' answers are from those who've been on these boards (in domaining?) for a year or less, maybe 3-4 (more pragmatic repliers) a lot longer, oh and of course the consistantly negative one, that knows everything!

Any extension is what one makes of it, not what other's think of it!! Profit is profit!

I'd say the "these extensions suck argument' should be taken up with ICANN, instead of being turned into ridiculing others with 'my extension is better than your extension' bickering.

And the only 'Usual Suspect' here, is the one you can count on here to consistantly ridicule other members investments with impunity.

lol, perfectly said. Had a nice laugh from this one. :laugh:

•••
mjnels said:
$50 for L-L.mobi eh.. i had hundreds of those about 18 months ago, sold em all for quite a bit less than that. :p
WTF. Where was I during this sale :'(

•••
•••
•••
hawkeye said:
The funny part on this 'discussion' of what extensions suck, is that if one looks, 96% of the 'in the know' answers are from those who've been on these boards (in domaining?) for a year or less, maybe 3-4 (more pragmatic repliers) a lot longer, oh and of course the consistantly negative one, that knows everything!

Any extension is what one makes of it, not what other's think of it!! Profit is profit!

I'd say the "these extensions suck argument' should be taken up with ICANN, instead of being turned into ridiculing others with 'my extension is better than your extension' bickering.

And the only 'Usual Suspect' here, is the one you can count on here to consistantly ridicule other members investments with impunity.
Hawkeye, I believe I am one of the main people this comment was aimed at, as I match the join date criteria you mention perfectly, (my join date on Namepros is November 2007), I would like to clarify, that I have been selling domains since late 2005, so many hundreds upon hundreds of sales in that time it is ridiculous. I did learn the hard way at the beginning and have been through it all without help

Plus please keep in mind this is a 'dislike extensions thread'

Also keep in mind all my comments were obviously light hearted and caused no offence to anybody, plus I do actually keep an open mind in all aspects of domaining (apart from .mobi) and what ever people choose to invest in

Hope that cleared some misconceptions

Last edited:
•••
Substance once again requested ...

hawkeye said:

Consistently and passionately requesting ANSWERS to all of the outstanding questions and real, actual substance from both mTLD and the remaining proponents of the "dot Mobey" extension is an open, fair, and balanced discussion to be having IMHO. But calling these requests / dialogue "ridicule" is a gross misrepresentation and exagerration ... but - yet again - it matches perfectly with your specific long-standing .MOBI Agenda™ of once again attempting to discount and discredit the inquirer and instead injecting subterfuge and NON ANSWERS in place of actual, meaningful discussion! :| :snaphappy: :imho:

Literally 1,000's of "premium" / generic .MOBI domains are still languishing under the control of mTLD ... how do you come to terms with that in light of both the abandoning of the RFP process for these generic terms and failure to properly enforce the development requirement of those that were instead auctioned for pure :$: GREED MONEY? :guilty:
IYHO.

Among all of the other unanswered QUESTIONS ... knowing that the extension is seriously up against the clock insofar as other, emerging and advancing mobile technologies in the .COM namespace, how do you reconcile that these 1,000's+/+ of generic, undeveloped, not-being-promoted domains are just sitting there at this critical juncture? :guilty:
A little more substance and candor, if you please ... versus your continued self-serving "agenda", friend! :talk: :imho:
Thank you.

-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff, we cant answer questions we dont know... you have to ask certain things to mTLD.

what does how we feel about RFPs matter anyway... that is a bunch of nonsense.

this is domaining, selling .mobi works for some people. for others it might not. it is really hard to have a human conversation with you man. try having an actual conversation once in a while instead of posting your soundbites.

•••
Questions remain ...

mjnels said:
Jeff, we cant answer questions we dont know... you have to ask certain things to mTLD.

As you know, in the Fall of 2006 many MANY questions were posted here to a Pinkard Brand of mTLD at his request ... remember, if there was to be a .mobi "default button", how the RFP's were to be treated fairly and for development purposes, the mass promotions of the .mobi extension, and, last but not least, the critical "ecosystem", etc? ... and to this VERY DAY, these same questions remain, and even more very deeply puzzling QUESTIONS are coming to light each and every week! :red: :imho:

Complement these aged, yet still relevant and these other mounting questions with consistent NON ANSWERS and ongoing subterfuge ... and this is why I (and I know I'm hardly alone) think - on topic - "dot Mobey" (and mTLD) really sucks! :sick: :imho:

Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
but arnt you happy for your fellow domainers that are doing well with dotmobi?

isnt this whole domaining thing mostly about buying/selling domains and making money at some point?

•••
mjnels said:
although, i did manage to sell U-T.mobi for $3,000 to a 'bonafide end user'™ that contacted me and was very interested in a short mobey (thats how you spell it, right?) domain for their mobile version site.

the site is active with 'unique and compelling content'™, ran by the san diego union-tribune (known online as signonsandiego.com)... 25th largest newspaper in the U.S. in terms of circulation.

I see they redirected it to another .mobi but nonetheless, very good ROI I believe. :]

I'm surprised how civil a 'sucks' thread can be compared to the other discussions going on in the other threads. :gl: _\|/_

•••
Jeff said:
Consistently and passionately requesting ANSWERS to all of the outstanding questions and real, actual substance from both mTLD and the remaining proponents of the "dot Mobey" extension is an open, fair, and balanced discussion to be having IMHO. But calling these requests / dialogue "ridicule" is a gross misrepresentation and exagerration ... but - yet again - it matches perfectly with your specific long-standing .MOBI Agenda™ of once again attempting to discount and discredit the inquirer and instead injecting subterfuge and NON ANSWERS in place of actual, meaningful discussion! :| :snaphappy: :imho:

Literally 1,000's of "premium" / generic .MOBI domains are still languishing under the control of mTLD ... how do you come to terms with that in light of both the abandoning of the RFP process for these generic terms and failure to properly enforce the development requirement of those that were instead auctioned for pure :$: GREED MONEY? :guilty:
IYHO.

Among all of the other unanswered QUESTIONS ... knowing that the extension is seriously up against the clock insofar as other, emerging and advancing mobile technologies in the .COM namespace, how do you reconcile that these 1,000's+/+ of generic, undeveloped, not-being-promoted domains are just sitting there at this critical juncture? :guilty:
A little more substance and candor, if you please ... versus your continued self-serving "agenda", friend! :talk: :imho:
Thank you.
-Jeff B-)
God give me patience!!

Jeff, do you actually think before you write here??? You post like common domain investors are supposed to have all these answers to questions you want answered, and because they/we can't answer them they way you want them answered, you print over and over that 'we' have an 'agenda'!!! WTF agenda do we have???? To want to see something we invested in maybe succeed???? God forbid the domainer that invests in extensions you don't like, as they have 'agendas'!!! "One must only do what Jeff wants or they have an agenda!!"

You want answers on why MTLD is or isn't doing, on why they auction the names, why they abandoned the RFPs or QXYs, or whatever answers you need answered, Why the hell don't YOU ASK MTLD!!!!! Why are we, common everyday domainers, supposed to know why they (MTLD) do or don't do what you want them to??? SERIOUSLY, WHY are we supposed to have these answers for you??? We don't work for them!!! Just like the .ASIA investors don't work for that registry and can't answer you on their recent name fiasco!! But to deride over and over and over domainers because they can't answer questions YOU want answered is a POMPUS unrealistic degrading and insulting attitude that you are allowed to continue with. Ridiculing and dergrading others, including those that don't post but read only, and the extensions they chose to buy with your condesending justifications, just really shows what you are truly about. And aren't!! Get a life.

•••
But it sure is entertaining.... :)

•••
cool...this thread rocks!

•••
So basically an admission there is no game plan beyond flipping to a lot of naive noobies?

hawkeye said:
God give me patience!!

Jeff, do you actually think before you write here??? You post like common domain investors are supposed to have all these answers to questions you want answered, and because they/we can't answer them they way you want them answered, you print over and over that 'we' have an 'agenda'!!! WTF agenda do we have???? To want to see something we invested in maybe succeed???? God forbid the domainer that invests in extensions you don't like, as they have 'agendas'!!! "One must only do what Jeff wants or they have an agenda!!"

You want answers on why MTLD is or isn't doing, on why they auction the names, why they abandoned the RFPs or QXYs, or whatever answers you need answered, Why the hell don't YOU ASK MTLD!!!!! Why are we, common everyday domainers, supposed to know why they (MTLD) do or don't do what you want them to??? SERIOUSLY, WHY are we supposed to have these answers for you??? We don't work for them!!! Just like the .ASIA investors don't work for that registry and can't answer you on their recent name fiasco!! But to deride over and over and over domainers because they can't answer questions YOU want answered is a POMPUS unrealistic degrading and insulting attitude that you are allowed to continue with. Ridiculing and dergrading others, including those that don't post but read only, and the extensions they chose to buy with your condesending justifications, just really shows what you are truly about. And aren't!! Get a life.

•••
Rubber Duck said:
So basically an admission there is no game plan beyond flipping to a lot of naive noobies?

^ Exactly! :yell:

mTLD - along with these Usual Suspects™ at the top of the pyramid and those with the clear (see four posts above) .MOBI Agendas© - are literally winging this thing as they go (and dispensing their minions to the various forums with more hype and subterfuge), in order to gain more time to fully maximize their :$: GREED MONEY! :o :imho:
They cannot, and will not, address the volumes of "dot Mobey" QUESTIONS and CONCERNS! :guilty:

Tick. Tock. :tri:

scriptfordali said:
cool...this thread rocks!

Righto, it seems a good, consolidated, open, and generally civil (except for a few highly unnecessary personal assaults being thrown my way by those that are clearly getting more desperate) discussion of the downfalls of the "dot Mobey" (and ".ASIA", IDN's, etc.)! :talk:

Have a great weekend, friends. :music:
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
but im a newbie.... and im doing just fine with .mobi domains.

that pretty much kills the naive noobies thing..... so, yet again i prove both of you wrong.

•••
mjnels said:

You've stated that you've made some "sales" / trades to (with) fellow enthusiasts, congratulations ... but, by and large, there has been and THERE WILL CONTINUE TO BE many, many more who will be victims of the "dot Mobey" pyramid and hype scheme, IMHO. :sick:
This, of course, makes me very sad! :'( :imho:

Here is your exact quote from another "dot Mobey" thread on this very subject of your stated "sales" the End users:
i have sold 0 that fit your description.. yet i am a newbie that did not lose money on .mobi domains.

You have sold ZERO domains to End users who have actually developed unique and compelling websites for those that are "on the go"! :red:
Combine this with upcoming MASSIVE DROPS, non-developments, non promotions, and failure of mTLD to adhere to its RFP process for 1,000's+/+ of generic / "premium" domains that are languishing (and, more recently, it's COMPLETE FAILURE to enforce the mandated development requirements that it had promised to do!) ... and it's a recipe for disaster for most all investors - except those very, very few that I mentioned above - in the extension, in my view. :o :imho:

-Jeff B-)

•••
mjnels said:

that pretty much kills the naive noobies thing..... so, yet again i prove both of you wrong.

No, but the reason you are so desparate to get this Syren message across is to profit from other Noobies. Once you have a stock of such domains there is a certain imperative to shift them regardless of whether they are a sound investment for your buyers.

There is always a certain amount of buyer beware in all of this, but the disturbing thing with this one is the extreme amount of hype around an extension where frankly there have been far too many deceptive statements made.

Frankly, I would rather buy a three legged horse.

•••
.IDN is NOT an extension .. what is it gonna take to get the point across that IDNs are .coms / .nets etc?
Nevermind .. I can't be bothered .. I have a whole bunch of Chinese IDNs I really must go and register

•••
Rubber Duck said:
??? what does this mean? Because, I don't have any 'game plan' to flip to as you say 'naive noobies', if that is what you are insinuating. And if you're implying that towards MTLDs plan, as I noted you'll have to ask them, I don't work for them. I guess the criticizers here, can't ask those with the answers, so they blame the domainers for not having them.

Jeff said:
downfalls of the "dot Mobey (and ".ASIA", IDN's, etc.)
I believe 'ducky', this is your area of disillusion according to 'Master Condesending', and that you backed the wrong horse too!! He knows!!!

•••
what the real debate should be

Whats worse:

.ASIA , .EU , .MOBI or the imaginary extension, .IDN.

•••
Sam said:
what the real debate should be

Whats worse:

.ASIA , .EU , .MOBI or the imaginary extension, .IDN.

well, i vote for Sam's exotic country code domains. :)

personally i think .VU is the best. lots of potential and huge end-user market.

•••
Jeff said:
(except for a few highly unnecessary personal assaults being thrown my way by those that are clearly getting more desperate)
You slander me, accusing me of subterfuge, libel and hype because I invest in .mobi domains and share info about what is going on and then you whine about personal assaults on you? Jeff, your ongoing, persistent anti mobi agenda is so painfully obvious. You ignore all evidence of its successes and corporate adoption. You slander the registry, accusing them of ripping off domain investors while you ignore all that they do to further adoption of the extension and all the assistance they provide people to build .mobi websites with resources like dev.mobi, ready.mobi, site.mobi and Device Atlas. You fixate on things that have no bearing to the present or future of .mobi. You resort to slandering mobi enthusiasts such as myself.

Jeff said:
You've stated that you've made some "sales" / trades to (with) fellow enthusiasts, congratulations ... but, by and large, there has been and THERE WILL CONTINUE TO BE many, many more who will be victims of the "dot Mobey" pyramid and hype scheme, IMHO
You now accuse .mobi enthusiasts of being involved in a pyramid scheme. Do you realize you are accusing people of crimes? For what? Buying and selling domains? Is this criminal accusation for all domain investors or only for those who invest in domain extensions you hate? Yet after all of this you claim to be fair. You completely lack any fair or balanced perspective regarding .mobi, and continue to spew your slanderous vitriol at .mobi enthusiasts and the registry, even now to the extent of accusing people of criminal activity. Your hate knows no bounds.

•••
mjnels said:
well, i vote for Sam's exotic country code domains. :)

personally i think .VU is the best. lots of potential and huge end-user market.
The problem is,

I don't create hype threads and hype posts and I still sell my cctlds for more money then your .mobis .

What gives? Could there actually be REAL DEMAND for my product? :o . Keep in mind offers come every week, there is no bubble. I can sell each of my keyword names in the $x,xxx range.

Of course, you are so naive you think all my cctlds are "exotic". You should be happy to note that 75%+ of my cctlds are European and make me $XXX a day from parking.

How much do your .mobi make again from parking? Oh yea, $X. Talk about hype. :yell:

Last edited:
•••
scandiman said:
You slander me, accusing me of subterfuge, libel and hype because I invest in .mobi domains and share info about what is going on and then you whine about personal assaults on you? Jeff, your ongoing, persistent anti mobi agenda is so painfully obvious. You ignore all evidence of its successes and corporate adoption. You slander the registry, accusing them of ripping off domain investors while you ignore all that they do to further adoption of the extension and all the assistance they provide people to build .mobi websites with resources like dev.mobi, ready.mobi, site.mobi and Device Atlas. You fixate on things that have no bearing to the present or future of .mobi. You resort to slandering mobi enthusiasts such as myself.

You now accuse .mobi enthusiasts of being involved in a pyramid scheme. Do you realize you are accusing people of crimes? For what? Buying and selling domains? Is this criminal accusation for all domain investors or only for those who invest in domain extensions you hate? Yet after all of this you claim to be fair. You completely lack any fair or balanced perspective regarding .mobi, and continue to spew your slanderous vitriol at .mobi enthusiasts and the registry, even now to the extent of accusing people of criminal activity. Your hate knows no bounds.
HERE, HERE!

I guess all domain flippers, or those that sell extensions not approved by 'Master Condesending', are now involved in 'schemes'!!

Be careful all who are not selling 'approved' names or extensions by the 'Master'.

(ok, this is where we are now accused of having 'agenda's', by the one whose 'agenda' is to discredit others investments!!)

????? what, no popcorn smilies?

Sam said:
The problem is,

I don't create hype threads and hype posts and I still sell my cctlds for more money then your .mobis .

What gives?
There's no problem Sam, he didn't 'create' this thread, like you, he just posted in it!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back