Domain Empire

The official .mobi, .asia, .IDN sucks thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The official .mobi/ .asia/ .me/ .TV sucks thread

It seems every good thread these days gets filled with .mobi/ .asia/ .IDN/ .TV/ .us, debates. So here's a thread we can have at it! We can also refer people here if things get heated.

;)

I'll start with a neutral statement:

WTF is the point of .mobi?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.mobi is an unwanted and useless tld imo.

Mobiles are capable of displaying contents optimized for mobile phones regardless of extensions.

My cellphone is displaying mobile.yahoo.com without any problems.. and there is no need for a separate tld for Mobile websites, again IMO.

Last edited:
•••
Yay! Finally a thread which all hate can be directed towards :hearts:

•••
.mobi/ .asia/ .IDN/ .TV??? No extension sucks. Only the useless owner (regardless of extension) sucks IMHO.

•••
So true :xf.love:

I've seen developed sites in all 4 of those -- just lazy domainers (which unfortunately includes me) who have to complain about extensions.

ImageShack.us isn't hurting from .us sucking, nor is Wapedia.mobi which has a better Alexa rank than Sex.com :snaphappy:

mkylut said:
.mobi/ .asia/ .IDN/ .TV??? No extension sucks. Only the useless owner (regardless of extension) sucks IMHO.

•••
We've all gone home with the ugly domain from the bar.

•••
I admit i used to buy .mobis last time. But realised its totally useless. So, I'm not buying any .Asia either. :)

•••
Reece said:

I've seen developed sites in all 4 of those -- just lazy domainers (which unfortunately includes me) who have to complain about extensions.

ImageShack.us isn't hurting from .us sucking, nor is Wapedia.mobi which has a better Alexa rank than Sex.com :snaphappy:

You are telling about developed websites, I'm telling about the need of some extension like .mobi.

cctlds have a specific purpose and they are mandatory for every country to protect the intellectual property and Trade Mark rights of companies and business owners operating from their countries.

What's the purpose of .mobi? Mobile websites can be deployed on any domain names, regardless of extensions. Do you think buying a .mobi domain name, and deploying a mobile website on it will optimize the performance of the mobile website?

•••
My comment was directed towards mkylut's "Only the useless owner (regardless of extension) sucks IMHO" which I agree with 100% -- any extension can be made profitable with the right idea +motivation/drive.

.tv said:
You are telling about developed websites, I'm telling about the need of some extension like .mobi.

cctlds have a specific purpose and they are mandatory for every country to protect the intellectual property and Trade Mark rights of companies and business owners operating from their countries.

What's the purpose of .mobi? Mobile websites can be deployed on any domain names, regardless of extensions. Do you think buying a .mobi domain name, and deploying a mobile website on it will optimize the performance of the mobile website?

•••
.tv said:
Reece said:

You're dot TV fan right (based on your username)? So what do you think about .tv? Do we really need .tv extension? I think video based websites can be deployed on any domain names too. Or what about about .net? .org?

•••
whitebark said:
We've all gone home with the ugly domain from the bar.
Classic! Rep added

•••
Domains are the only dates I get...

At least I get a taste before we become an item. :hearts:

•••
mkylut said:
You're dot TV fan right (based on your username)? So what do you think about .tv? Do we really need .tv extension? I think video based websites can be deployed on any domain names too. Or what about about .net? .org?
As far as .TV (Thangavelu) has said in threads, Thangavelu has sold over $15,000 in .TV domain names apparently from what has been said

So whether we need.TV or not, there is money to made. IMO domaining is nuts illogical for the most part and out of touch with reality. Really just sell domainers what they want in domaining and you will do alright LLL.com, LLLL.com (premium letter LLLL.com even better), Generics etc! If you happen to get an end user while on your domaining quest have a party!

•••
.tv said:

well, i've never seen the point of .mobi when a m.domain.com will do... but i just saw one with your comment.

i guess google or nike or microsoft will want to have a .mobi, just to stop some joker setting one up for them?

they still suck

:hearts:

•••
I totally disagree with the concept of creating a ghetto to dump all discussion relating to the peripheral issues in domain investment at the moment so that people can get on with the real business of registering Hyphenated 5 Letter Acronyms.

Whatever you may feel about dot Asia, dot Mobi or IDN, the are actually the real issues of the day. This is where most of the todays investments have and will be going. Furthermore, these areas are those where most money will be made and lost.

Love them or hate them, and I will not even pass comment on my own views. These are the issues that need be discussed, so attempts assuage them from discussion are in fact very damaging.

•••
adiboy said:
I admit i used to buy .mobis last time. But realised its totally useless. So, I'm not buying any .Asia either. :)

well, i think maybe everyone can agree .mobi is doomed way more than .asia

.mobi was based on the idea technology wouldn't change - and guess what, it has already, dooming the extn, but 'Asia' is not going to change in the near future lol. Whether there is/was a need for it is a different argument, but here we are and its doing ok already imo.

•••
Oh dear D-: D-:

I'm sorry, I just can't behave myself when someone suggest .asia being better than anything. Since when was Australia part of Asia anyway?

sidenote: I don't believe many asian countries even refer to them as being part of Asia -- that's American-speak.

scriptfordali said:
well, i think maybe everyone can agree .mobi is doomed way more than .asia

.mobi was based on the idea technology wouldn't change - and guess what, it has already, dooming the extn, but 'Asia' is not going to change in the near future lol. Whether there is/was a need for it is a different argument, but here we are and its doing ok already imo.

•••
mkylut said:

You have misunderstood.

.TV is neither a separate TLD nor a recently introduced cctld.

.tv was started during 1996 as the cctld for Tuvalu. It was acquired by Verisign during 2000, and now being promoted as the television. Of course, there are thousands of broadcasting networks delivering their contents using .com/.net/.org etc.

In a same way, .fm, .ag, .dj, .cd and .ws are functioning. None of them are recently introduced TLDs. In fact, they all drive some percentage of revenues to the corresponding countries, making a nice business model.

Unlike these branded cctlds, .mobi was recently introduced TLD targeting only the mobile devices, and they have introduced .MOBI as "The TLD for the Mobile Devices".

.Mobi is neither a cctld nor it has any profitable business model, which improves the economy of a particular country. .mobi is introduced *ONLY* for brandability for the domain names, and of course to suck the domainers... LOL!

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
So whether we need.TV or not, there is money to made.

There is money to made in ANY EXTENSION. .com, .net, .org, .mobi, .ws, .tv.....etc etc....

.tv said:
mkylut said:

You have misunderstood.

.TV is neither a separate TLD nor a recently introduced cctld.

.tv was started during 1996 as the cctld for Tuvalu. It was acquired by Verisign during 2000, and now being promoted as the television. Of course, there are thousands of broadcasting networks delivering their contents using .com/.net/.org etc.

In a same way, .fm, .ag, .dj, .cd and .ws are functioning. None of them are recently introduced TLDs. In fact, they all drive some percentage of revenues to the corresponding countries, making a nice business model.

Unlike these branded cctlds, .mobi was recently introduced TLD targeting only the mobile devices, and they have introduced .MOBI as "The TLD for the Mobile Devices".

.Mobi is neither a cctld nor it has any profitable business model, which improves an economy of a particular country. .mobi is introduced *ONLY* for brandability for the domain names.

I'm sorry but I still don't see any points there in your post that relate to my question.

Last edited:
•••
I hate threads that discriminate, why can't you include .name , that has to be the most usless extension, - until the next one comes along :laugh:

Maybe .eu , .ws , .cc as well :wave:

•••
.tv. said:
.Mobi is neither a cctld nor it has any profitable business model, which improves the economy of a particular country. .mobi is introduced *ONLY* for brandability for the domain names, and of course to suck the domainers... LOL!

Hmm... Brandability has paid me quite well with CVCV.coms :hearts:

•••
Reece said:
Hmm... Brandability has paid me quite well with CVCV.coms :hearts:
Yes with CVCV.com, but that is only a pattern... Domaining is 'NUTS'

Last edited:
•••
wot said:
why can't you include .name , that has to be the most usless extension, - until the next one comes along :laugh:

.name looks o.k for a few domain hacks! 8-X

Domain.Name

Buy.Name

Sell.Name

First.Name

Last.Name

Cheap.Name

:lol:

•••
I know. Domainers can be quite mental. :)

Just look at all the great LLLL.coms that go for 1/20th what a much less capable LLL.com goes for :)

Or look at how the lowest quality LLL.mobis outsell considerably the lowest quality LLLL.coms...

Domainers are NUTS :sold:

I hereby declare myself a lazy developer! I shall no longer be a domainer -- rather a lazy developer that purchase domains and is too lazy to develop them... Separating myself from this nutty crowd! :tri:

raredn.com said:
yes with CVCV.com, but that is only a pattern, domaining is 'NUTS'

I have ZIGH.com which in the real world is super brandable, but to other domainers it is 'worth peanuts' because it does not follow the Consonant Vowel, Consonant Vowel pattern.

So IMO 'brandable' and what domainers all agree to follow and syphon money into are to completely different worlds!

yes with CVCV.com, but that is only a pattern, domaining is 'NUTS'

I have ZIGH.com which in the real world is super brandable, but to other domainers it is 'worth peanuts' because it does not follow the CVCV (Consonant Vowel, Consonant Vowel) pattern.

Domainers will even pay thousands for CVCV even if it is not pronounceable just and only because it follws the CVCV pattern

So IMO 'brandable' and what domainers all agree to follow and syphon money into are to completely different worlds!

•••
hey hey now, .name isn't too bad... wait i sold arts.name for $5... shit.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back