IT.COM

The official .mobi, .asia, .IDN sucks thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The official .mobi/ .asia/ .me/ .TV sucks thread

It seems every good thread these days gets filled with .mobi/ .asia/ .IDN/ .TV/ .us, debates. So here's a thread we can have at it! We can also refer people here if things get heated.

;)

I'll start with a neutral statement:

WTF is the point of .mobi?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
:lol:

This is quickly becoming my favorite thread :)

Sam said:
hey hey now, .name isn't too bad... wait i sold arts.name for $5... shit.

•••
Reece said:
Oh dear D-: D-:

I'm sorry, I just can't behave myself when someone suggest .asia being better than anything. Since when was Australia part of Asia anyway?

sidenote: I don't believe many asian countries even refer to them as being part of Asia -- that's American-speak.

Spot on, but dot Asia was never really aimed at Asian countries. Iran isn't even allow to register I believe. Dot Asia was always aimed at Western Companies with illusions of developing an online market in Asia.

To succeed in Asia it is not only essential to adopt an extension with which most people identify and to date that means dot Com, but to have Keywords that are meaningful to the users there.

At a guess, you would have to conclude that would mean in a language and script that is actually familiar to them. How effective would it be for a Chinese company to market to New York in Chinese script? Why is it that apparently intelligent marketing executives are totally unable to put themselves in the other guys shoes? Until that happens there is never going to be significant and profitable export trade coming out the US.

Last edited:
•••
scriptfordali said:
well, i think maybe everyone can agree .mobi is doomed way more than .asia

.mobi was based on the idea technology wouldn't change - and guess what, it has already, dooming the extn, but 'Asia' is not going to change in the near future lol. Whether there is/was a need for it is a different argument, but here we are and its doing ok already imo.

ROFLMAO ;)

•••
Reece said:
Oh dear D-: D-:

I'm sorry, I just can't behave myself when someone suggest .asia being better than anything. Since when was Australia part of Asia anyway?

sidenote: I don't believe many asian countries even refer to them as being part of Asia -- that's American-speak.

<start rant>
Are you Australian? I am (from Sydney). I do consider Australia part of Asia, as does everyone i know. Anyway, it's all bull**** speculation. Nobody can know what the future holds, despite how 'l33t' you guys are, or how 'noob' we .asia lovers are. It really could go either way. Sure the odds are against .asia becoming a huge success, im not that blind, but i think it does have a potential for a future much further down the track. That is my opinion only, which i am entitled to, so lets agree to disagree and move on...
<end rant>

thanks.

Last edited:
•••
What about Iran? :red:

scriptfordali said:
Are you Australian? I am (from Sydney). I consider Australia part of Asia.

•••
scriptfordali said:
Are you Australian? I am (from Sydney). I consider Australia part of Asia.
I am Australian, but do not consider myself Asian or part of Asia

I think Oceanic country would best describe us

I have heard the term Australasia before, but who uses that, the last time I heard someone say Australasia was 15 years ago

•••
I've heard of African Americans, but Asian Australians is something new to me :]

We live in igloos up here in Canada, so that shows what I know :music:

•••
If you look at the Dotasia organization website, you'll find out that they make it clear that they want .asia to be the TLD for the "Asia Pacific region", not just Asia, which is why Australia is included.

Whether you agree or not with that "Asia Pacific region" concept, it's something that has been used more and more often over the past few years, and not only when it comes to domain names.

For example, the Australian Open in tennis has been marketing itself as "the Grand Slam of the Asia Pacific region" or "the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific" for a number of years already.

•••
michaeldotcom said:
If you look at the Dotasia organization website, you'll find out that they make it clear that they want .asia to be the TLD for the "Asia Pacific region", not just Asia, which is why Australia is included.

Whether you agree or not with that "Asia Pacific region" concept, it's something that has been used more and more often over the past few years, and not only when it comes to domain names.

For example, the Australian Open in tennis has been marketing itself as "the Grand Slam of the Asia Pacific region" or "the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific" for a number of years already.
Sure Michael,

But you are from London, I am from Australia

We call ourselves and everthing about us Australian, not Asian

Same goes for the thousands of people that live in Australia that I have met over the years

Really you just can't beat first hand experience as opposed to theories that try to force a square peg into a round hole

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
Sure Michael,
But you are from London, I am from Australia
We call ourselves and everthing about us Australian, not Asian
Same goes for the thousands of people that live in Australia that I have met over the years

I completely agree with you.

I would never consider Australian people as being Asian. Australia is most definitely NOT part of Asia.

But Australia is part of what was defined as the "Asia Pacific region". That's a fairly new concept, and being Australian, I'm sure you've noticed that the Australian tennis open is marketed as the "Grand Slam of Asia Pacific".

I'm personally not a fan of .asia and I don't/won't own any .asia domains. I'm merely saying that the Dotasia organization itself is marketing .asia as being the TLD for the "Asia Pacific region", and that's the reason why Australia is part of it.

That's just a fact that I'm stating, nothing more, nothing less. Of course, Australia is not part of Asia. Of course, Japanese, Indian, Korean and Chinese people don't see themselves as being all part of the same entity called "Asia". They're all very different from each other, very different countries, very different cultures, very different languages...

•••
No worries mate,

Yes I have heard the words 'Asia Pacific Region' touted around for the Australian Tennis Open

Unfortunately, some newbies will probably justify a .asia buying spree just on those facts alone

Last edited:
•••
raredn.com said:
No worries mate,
yes I have heard the words 'Asia Pacific region' toted around for the Australian tennis open
Unfortuantely, some newbies will probably base a .asai buying spree just on those facts alone

There are very very few .asia domains which I could see as potentially valuable. That would be some top premium keywords which are basically valuable in just about any ccTLD.

For example, something like travel.asia could be valuable for a travel agency based in Australia which is selling travel packages, flights, holidays, etc. to different Asian countries (Japan, China, Korea, India, etc.) and which has actually specialized itself in travel to these several Asian countries (rather than European countries, the US, Latin America, etc.). That could possibly make sense, but it's one of the very few examples that do. :imho:

•••
.asia... Cracks me up every time I hear it. Newbies don't listen to what me, Rubber Duck, and like 10+ other people have already said in this + .asia related threads

-- Asian countries don't consider themselves Asian!!

In other words, there are no endusers out there for you -- you are flipping to other domainers and other domainers only. You'll be very lucky to see 1/4 the hype or prices of .mobi and I doubt the hype will last 1/4 as long.

•••
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dotmobi sucks.

.tv is needed for the internet to survive.

.name is awesome

i dont understand IDN, therefore i hate it.

and Australian people ARE definitely Asian.

LETS GO SUCKA'S!

•••
:lol:

Why doesn't DotAsia adopt us all as Asians... Then they'd have even more suckers to sell to :)

mjnels said:
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dotmobi sucks.

.tv is needed for the internet to survive.

.name is awesome

i dont understand IDN, therefore i hate it.

and Australian people ARE definitely Asian.

LETS GO SUCKA'S!

•••
Reece said:
Asian countries don't consider themselves Asian!!

Completely agreed.

The .asia extension doesn't make sense except in very very few specific cases like my example of travel.asia just above, and that would possibly be for an enduser which would be located OUTSIDE Asia (Australia in my example).

•••
Let's face it, us Australians are not the major target audience for .asia so it doesn't matter whether you consider yourself Australian, Australasian, Asian or whatever. It is when .asia is fully adopted by the Chinese and Indian markets that progress will be made. The American economy is declining and those are the emerging power players in the immediate future. Whether we Australians consider ourselves Asian is irrelevant.

•••
soggyindo said:
It seems every good thread these days gets filled with .mobi/ .asia/ .IDN/ .TV/ .us, debates. So here's a thread we can have at it! We can also refer people here if things get heated.

;)

I'll start with a neutral statement:

WTF is the point of .mobi?
I will answer your question after you answer my question which is:

WTF is the point of any extension except .com?

•••
martina2061 said:
It is when .asia is fully adopted by the Chinese and Indian markets that progress will be made.

But these companies in Asia will much rather use their own ccTLDs (.jp, .kr, .in, etc.) rather than .asia which means nothing to them.

If they want to think globally, they will either use global TLDs (.com etc.) or possibly ccTLDs of the markets they're targeting (.co.uk etc).

•••
martina2061 said:
Let's face it, us Australians are not the major target audience for .asia so it doesn't matter whether you consider yourself Australian, Australasian, Asian or whatever. It is when .asia is fully adopted by the Chinese and Indian markets that progress will be made. The American economy is declining and those are the emerging power players in the immediate future. Whether we Australians consider ourselves Asian is irrelevant.
Indian markets???? .IN will have to take of before .asia gets a look in

China???? Chinese people are not even allowed to look at the majority of websites produced by countries outside of China itself, plus they have their own .cn that big brother can let their own people use, so long as they tow the line

•••
honestly, if an extension named .thisTLDwillBEaSUCESS came out tomorrow there would still be the same price bubbles, debate over worthlessness, and investors that register horrible keywords.

i didnt touch .asia not because there isnt money to be made (there is) but with the auctions being mandatory for any names that got more than 1 registration request, this makes pure speculation a lot harder and competition a lot more fierce.

.mobi was fun because the auctions were NOT required depending on what Registrar you used... and to think about the future and things that will eventually be commonplace to do on mobile devices.... and then look up those single word, mobile related domains and have em be available for registration. GOOD TIMES DANIELSONS, GOOD TIMES.

Last edited:
•••
To enrichen ICANN and feed the dreams of noob domainers? :cy:

Sufyan said:
I will answer your question after you answer my question which is:

•••
In the climate of free-trade agreements between Asian countries, it is logical that major companies selling internationally would like to be represented by a regional extension rather than their national extension. They may also shy away from .com because it is U.S. dominated.

•••
Sufyan said:

Many extensions do make sense especially for great keywords, generics and geos.

- .org does make sense for non-profit organizations
- big ccTLDs like .co.uk or .de make sense for local companies or global companies targeting local markets
- .tv does make sense for videocentric sites
. .info does make sense for informational sites
etc.

Obviously some TLDs are meaningless, but it's nonsense to think that there's nothing meaningful except .com. The market has already shown that some alternatives to .com are very meaningful to lots of people and companies (I'm talking real companies with developed sites, not speculation).

•••
martina2061 said:
In the climate of free-trade agreements between Asian countries, it is logical that major companies selling internationally would like to be represented by a regional extension rather than their national extension. They may also shy away from .com because it is U.S. dominated.
Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out, point taken, a regional extension, just like .eu

.eu was a roaring success, some people may even call it the best kept secret on the web :tu:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back